(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,512 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

So could a bad bulb socket (or diode if the flashers have diodes) cause a coil to lock on? I would think that if the flashers locked on they would burn up and be not as noticeable. Im going to test mine when i get home after disconnecting the super vuk coil.

I don't think so because the coil circuit and flasher circuit are not connected directly together - the relay board bank-switches between them, but I may be wrong and it is possible.

The flashers don't have diodes because they are DC and are not controlled in a matrix the way the controlled lamps are (like inserts).

RM

#202 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Im going to check and see if that could be the problem and ill report back. If not id say the relay or transistor

#203 7 years ago

The way i was thinking was if the coil is somehow grounded or shorted, the relay would switch to try to turn them off, in turn locking the coil on. Like i said though, im just guessing. Im going to start there and work my way backwards

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

So the Rhino coil locks on but the flashers driven by the same circuit do NOT lock on? Even in Flasher Test?
RM

I will have to check but I don't think they lock on. I will unplug those coils and power on. Will report back later.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

So could a bad bulb socket (or diode if the flashers have diodes) cause a coil to lock on? I would think that if the flashers locked on they would burn up and be not as noticeable. Im going to test mine when i get home after disconnecting the super vuk coil.

A bad transistor on the mpu board can cause a coil to lock so you should check those with your meter to see if the associated transistor is shorted. It could also be the relay on the ppb board or the diode associated with it. It could also be a bad diode on the coil itself. I am no expert but I have similar problems with my msf.

#206 7 years ago

Changed the diode on the coil already, that wasnt it, im hoping its something dumb im missing, hoping it doesnt go back to the board. Just odd i changed those 2 flashers associated with it, one was missing completely, then it does that.

#207 7 years ago

Ok mine was the tip36c on the ppb board. It all works now, i also reflowed the solder on the relay, now the super vuk isnt registering a ball, but i think i need to adjust the switch, but thats a project for the morning

#208 7 years ago

So had to unplug the back box coils to run lamp test. The 4 flashers that are tied to the rhino are locked on. Hmmm just doesn't make sense

#209 7 years ago

Hmmm. I wouldnt think a relay would lock both of them on

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

So had to unplug the back box coils to run lamp test. The 4 flashers that are tied to the rhino are locked on. Hmmm just doesn't make sense

How do you know the transistor isn't shorted to ground? Because that's the exact behavior.

Also, is there an additional pre-driver transistor in that circuit?

If there is, if either the main drive or pre-driver transistors are shorted, that circuit will lock-on.

RM

#211 7 years ago

I have tested and replaced the transistor. I will check pre driver and report back

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I have tested and replaced the transistor. I will check pre driver and report back

OK, let us know.

Something is shorting that particular circuit to ground. You just have to find what is doing it.

When you replaced that transistor, you did clip the legs on the back? They aren't touching the metal backplane?

RM

#213 7 years ago

Re led'd the backbox with brighter bulbs. Turned out great!

20161001_105126 (resized).jpg20161001_105126 (resized).jpg

20161001_105123 (resized).jpg20161001_105123 (resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago

Changed pre driver and still the same.

#215 7 years ago

Legs are all clipped and no solder bridging. Hmmmm

#216 7 years ago

Tried changing the pia and still locking. I need to check the traces from pia to transistor to make sure nothing is broke

1 week later
#217 7 years ago

I'm in

1 month later
#218 7 years ago

Just bought mine n Sunday. I'm IN!!!

#219 7 years ago

Welcome to the club Schicketmaster and rwarren

1 week later
#220 7 years ago

Just found this thread, my R&B is my only solid state machine, and love it just for the theme. But plays great as well. Mine is a european machine, so if price is right would like to change the coin door if someone has a US door they would part with. Also, looking for a Boris button and housing. Know I can order the button and housing, but other pin priorities keep stealing the $40 or so they want. So hoping to find one for less. Finally, someone mylar coated the playfield and it has a few bubbles and wrinkles which don't affect play much. Really nervous about trying to remove it. Any thoughts?

#221 7 years ago

Just starting to tear down and investigate. I have 2 wires that appear to be cut or removed right next to the flipper control board. When I look at the schematics, they don't appear to go there. Violet with a grey stripe and a solid brown. Also, there is an alligator clip jumper wire from the red "M" target (green/yellow wire) to the left sling shot white wire.

Any ideas?

#222 7 years ago

Does anyone happen to have an LED conversion bulb list for R&B? Thinking of jumping in on the Comet black Friday sale but don't have time to put a list together.

#223 7 years ago

Left the club this weekend. Great game, it will be missed. Had a friend who badly wanted it so decided it could leave since it was going to a good home...

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Just starting to tear down and investigate. I have 2 wires that appear to be cut or removed right next to the flipper control board. When I look at the schematics, they don't appear to go there. Violet with a grey stripe and a solid brown. Also, there is an alligator clip jumper wire from the red "M" target (green/yellow wire) to the left sling shot white wire.
Any ideas?

should post some pics. all r&b guys are willing to help. I got a tons of help from this group.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Left the club this weekend. Great game, it will be missed. Had a friend who badly wanted it so decided it could leave since it was going to a good home...

Wait a min. you started this group and now you are leaving?????

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

should post some pics. all r&b guys are willing to help. I got a tons of help from this group.

Will do when I start tearing down. I was going through the service menu last night and walking through some of the tests and I stumbled upon what the brown/violet-grey wires go to, the knocker. Apparently someone has removed it. Not sure if it is financially worth replacing. I found some other stuff that doesn't work. Going to track those down tonight. Hoping for broken wires or blown fuses but I always fear board issues.

#227 7 years ago

Hoping for broken wires or blown fuses but I always fear board issues.

I had problems with the power supply board on mine and that's common but easily replaced and not very expensive. Another common issue with data east is the ppb board but also easily replaced.

#228 7 years ago

These boards seem very easy to work on and easy to figure out. Once the guys in the group pointed me in the right direction it got easier.
here is everything I have had to do so far.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-rb-cpu-parts-list

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I had problems with the power supply board on mine and that's common but easily replaced and not very expensive. Another common issue with data east is the ppb board but also easily replaced.

So I couldn't wait to tear it down. I had to track the wiring. I found one broken wire and fixed that. I tracked the last 2 wires back to the PPB board. Violet/yellow to J8, pin 4. Yellow/violet to J7, pin 9. I looked the board over and the TIP36C at Q3 is missing. The one at Q4 has been replaced. Is Q3 supposed to be there?

IMG_0075 (resized).JPGIMG_0075 (resized).JPG

#230 7 years ago

I looked the board over and the TIP36C at Q3 is missing. The one at Q4 has been replaced. Is Q3 supposed to be there?

Yes, not sure what coil it is associated but there is a transistor there. You may have a coil chart stapled somewhere inside your pin but I don't have one in mine and there is not a chart in the manual as far as I know.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Yes, not sure what coil it is associated but there is a transistor there. You may have a coil chart stapled somewhere inside your pin but I don't have one in mine and there is not a chart in the manual as far as I know.

I have the downloaded version of the manual. It is pretty tough to follow. I'm 99% sure it is associated with the VUK in the upper left hand corner as those are where the wires go and in test, it doesn't fire.

#232 7 years ago

Yes the q3 transistor is for the playfield vuk, associated with the hat trick

#233 7 years ago

the tip36c control the special coils. there is a page that shows the vuk and other coils on one page.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

So it appears that the abandoned legs can be easily removed and a new transistor soldered in. It looks from the top side to have plenty of work room. Is this something a non-expert can do? I replaced GI headers before so I have some sort of experience.

#235 7 years ago

So it appears that the abandoned legs can be easily removed and a new transistor soldered in. It looks from the top side to have plenty of work room. Is this something a non-expert can do? I replaced GI headers before so I have some sort of experience.

this is a very simple repair. you can remove the legs and install a new one no problem. if you have a good sucker to clean out the holes.

#236 7 years ago

Exactally what Bax1 said. He helped me through the repair of mine. Easy fix, should solve that issue

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

this is a very simple repair. you can remove the legs and install a new one no problem. if you have a good sucker to clean out the holes.

I tried a sucker on the headers. Not much luck. Went to the copper braid. More successful. Well, off to buy parts. I guess I'll get back to you guys in a week or so. Thanks for the help!!!

#238 7 years ago

If you are ordering the tip36c, i would order a few, and maybe tip122, just to have on hand in case you run into any other problems. When i did mine i swapped them all just so i k ew they were good

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

If you are ordering the tip36c, i would order a few, and maybe tip122, just to have on hand in case you run into any other problems. When i did mine i swapped them all just so i k ew they were good

exactly what he said. Order from great plains so you know they are quality. I ordered some off ebay and they are junk. keep blowing.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Wait a min. you started this group and now you are leaving?????

Why...I guess I am! lol

I may come back some day. Fun game!

#241 7 years ago

I'm in. Guess I should have posted this here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adventures-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-left-ramp

From most pictures I can find the left ramp is not over the yellow bar.

1 week later
#242 7 years ago

Come to find out my R&B was from/built in England. So the manuals on line aren't completely accurate. Flashers are different for sure. Not sure what else yet. Oh and the board behind the DMD is a Sega board. This is gonna be interesting.

#243 7 years ago

Come to find out my R&B was from/built in England. So the manuals on line aren't completely accurate. Flashers are different for sure. Not sure what else yet. Oh and the board behind the DMD is a Sega board. This is gonna be interesting.

i know that there are some changes made during production, my backbox takes 44/47 bulbs, but a number take 555. Good luck..

#244 7 years ago

I am looking to shop mine out. I was looking at the larger inserts in the PF, and they almost seem "frosted", or like paint over-spray texture on the backside, is this correct, or have they been messed with? Also any tips or things i really need to watch when shopping it?

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I am looking to shop mine out. I was looking at the larger inserts in the PF, and they almost seem "frosted", or like paint over-spray texture on the backside, is this correct, or have they been messed with? Also any tips or things i really need to watch when shopping it?

Mine seem to be covered over also so I think that is correct. Maybe someone else can ring in here. I'll get pictures when I open it back up again.

One of the issues I am having is the entrance of the way back ramp. I've seen pictures with 2 gates. I only have 1. But it doesn't really look right. The gate with the light is at the entrance. I've seen them about 2 inches up the ramp. But mine is broke on the right side. So I'm really not sure what is right. I looked up the ramp numbers but no one shows any. So one ramp it is. I just need to figure out how to attach it for best use.

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I got my TIP36C's, soldered them in and PRESTO!!!! Hat trick now works. I believe they clipped it off in order to speed up game play. I really like it when I try to fix something and it works. So all of the obvious stuff is repaired. On to tear down, clean and inspection. Pops are kind of slow/lazy so I may have to do something with them. I'm sure flippers will need some sort of tweaking also. Don't they always.

#247 7 years ago

glad it worked!

#248 7 years ago

Mine seem to be covered over also so I think that is correct. Maybe someone else can ring in here. I'll get pictures when I open it back up again.
One of the issues I am having is the entrance of the way back ramp. I've seen pictures with 2 gates. I only have 1. But it doesn't really look right. The gate with the light is at the entrance. I've seen them about 2 inches up the ramp. But mine is broke on the right side. So I'm really not sure what is right. I looked up the ramp numbers but no one shows any. So one ramp it is. I just need to figure out how to attach it for best use.

if you look up HEP pinball, they did one, i have found their pictures to be very helpful when trying to figure something out.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

if you look up HEP pinball, they did one, i have found their pictures to be very helpful when trying to figure something out.

Now I'm confused. Every site I checked stated R&B did not need non-ghosting LED's. I got 1/2 way through and noticed lots of ghosting. Is there something that I missed?

#250 7 years ago

Does anyone have a topper for sale or know where I could find one? I have been through all of the normal channels.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 18.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,900 (OBO)
Boards
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.