(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,512 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2707 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2684 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1571 (resized).jpeg
PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 31.
#651 5 years ago

Anyone know where that foam piece I posted came from?

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I would check behind the R G B Y BOMB targets or inside the Nell enclosure.

#653 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I’m having what appears to be a switch problem. What has me puzzled is that these two seeming unrelated switch issues show themselves at the same time.
When the ball goes into the Aesop hole (left side) it does not come back up until the machine goes into ball find mode. It then kicks it out and game continues to play. Similarly, when a ball drains, the ball is not registering as over. No bonus calculated , no new ball started.
These two problems areas come together but yet seem otherwise unrelated. Any suggestions?

I also have the problem of not registering a drain sometimes. A simple nudge of the machine will cause it to register in my case. The aesop hole problem I experienced as well, and had to readjust the switch under the ball through

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from G-Bee:I also have the problem of not registering a drain sometimes. A simple nudge of the machine will cause it to register in my case. The aesop hole problem I experienced as well, and had to readjust the switch under the ball through

I’m still having the Aesop and center drain ball registering problem. They test okay in the switch test. Checked the green and white wire. All connections seem solid along the chain. Played around with the switches but to no avail.

I’ve ordered new switches for both. Seems like a weird coincidence that both switches would go out at the same time, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

#655 5 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Hard to judge the size of the foam without anything to compare it to.

My guess is that it's used for support behind the 'Spin & Win' disc.

The way my pin is set, I can't see the back of the disc to verify that.

Steve (in Las Vegas)

#656 5 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

I’m still having the Aesop and center drain ball registering problem. They test okay in the switch test. Checked the green and white wire. All connections seem solid along the chain. Played around with the switches but to no avail.
I’ve ordered new switches for both. Seems like a weird coincidence that both switches would go out at the same time, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

How did you check the switches? Was it by pressing on the with a finger or setting a ball on it? That can make a difference.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

How did you check the switches? Was it by pressing on the with a finger or setting a ball on it? That can make a difference.

Interestin. Switch test diagnostic using my finger. I’ll have to try with a ball.

#658 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a picture of the backbox with the DMD panel laying down? My game has two ground leads that come from each lower corner of the back box and they have a clear tube around them for insulation. The one on the left goes to the DMD panel but the one on the right is disconnected. I'm not sure if that should go to the ground on the DMD drier board or somewhere else. Can someone confirm where those two ground leads should be attached?

Thank You.

2 months later
#659 4 years ago

After 20 yrs of absence my very first pinball Rocky finally returned home. Was an impulse buy where a friend bought a 24 and I decided on the spot to buy the Rocky as nice com ideal but I don’t have space !! Save me
0DAD6659-B222-4D56-BE09-E87B6B8B9960 (resized).jpeg0DAD6659-B222-4D56-BE09-E87B6B8B9960 (resized).jpeg59A7A3EA-0057-413E-904A-A699F7C9C6FA (resized).jpeg59A7A3EA-0057-413E-904A-A699F7C9C6FA (resized).jpeg59DE3DC4-0058-449E-B5AF-D15A8FDE1A3B (resized).jpeg59DE3DC4-0058-449E-B5AF-D15A8FDE1A3B (resized).jpeg99B0C624-8A0C-4B93-A0BD-F66A6F879295 (resized).jpeg99B0C624-8A0C-4B93-A0BD-F66A6F879295 (resized).jpeg

#660 4 years ago

Doing some troubleshooting. This bulb is not burning. Replacing didn’t help but than i noticed this loose wire with a diode.

Anyone know where it has to connect to?

EC05AE7C-5A9C-402C-8CA4-E07A26FD1C4D (resized).jpegEC05AE7C-5A9C-402C-8CA4-E07A26FD1C4D (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#661 4 years ago

Hello everyone. Happy to be joining this club! Just got a RNB over the last weekend. It's a routed game but in decent shape.

I ordered the ColorDMD LED display upgrade. The game came with a Rottendog power supply (the original is gone). I was reading that the Rottendog will not run the ColorDMD due to unregulated 12v power. So I also ordered an XPin Data East power supply to replace the Rottendog. From everything I've read on Pinside, the XPin will correctly power the ColorDMD. I really want the color on this game because of the many cartoony DMD graphics. Wish I didn't have to buy the XPin, but I do not know how to hack a Rottendog. I'm good at fixing mechanical problems, and I can solder, but knowledge of how electronic boards work is not my area of expertise.

I have a question on the "Save Nell" mode. The previous owner replaced the belt on the Nell assembly. In coil test, it moves correctly. However when Nell yells "Save Me! Save Me!", I was expecting the log/plastic to move slowly across the track and that it would be a timed mode where you had to hit the drops before she reaches the saw. Before playing the game I was assuming this mode would work similar to the train in "Save Pauline" on Cactus Canyon. But in my game when Nell yells "Save Me!", the log doesn't move across. Can someone explain to me exactly how this mode is supposed to work?

Also, I pay a lot of attention to sound quality. This game has some major ground hum coming mostly from the right speaker. I read about this issue on Pinside. Suggestions were to float the sound board with nylon screws and washers. I tried that but it did not make a difference. Some have said replacing the caps on the sound board will help. I could possibly try that if I knew exactly what to order, but I also saw posts that people tried that too and it didn't help. If anyone else has any miracle suggestions on how to get rid of the ground hum I would greatly appreciate them.

The game code is the older version 1.10. I have a 1.30 chip in the mail on its way to me.

Otherwise I love having this pin. My 12 year old son was playing it for an hour last night and constantly yelling "Woweee!" and "Wrong Hat!" when he'd hear the voices.

#662 4 years ago

You can see here how it is suppose to move and yes, should move slowly up and down.

#663 4 years ago

Meanwhile I scored a topper and declare it finished and ready for action. Everything works and is tweaked.

Happy flipping

40BBFA3D-00C9-4752-813A-51AEDEE67837 (resized).jpeg40BBFA3D-00C9-4752-813A-51AEDEE67837 (resized).jpeg
#664 4 years ago

I've been able to do some testing and it seems that swapping out MPU boards can make a difference with the hum on the sound card. I have a quite MPU, a very noisy one, and one with just a little hum. I'm trying to isolate what is different between them to see if swapping parts on that board can help.

#665 4 years ago

I put in a rottendog for a upgrade and my sound went to total Shit..sound popping and all that..went back to my stock power supply and it's all good..

#666 4 years ago

The Nell drop targets have two modes. There is one mode that is triggered by dropping all of the targets once and then you have to hit one more target to collect the 25 Million points (or 50 if you've started it a 2nd time). This mode is timed and last for 15 seconds or so, and will use the log mechanism, and the mode sound is the narrator of the show talking about time ticking down.... "just in the nick of time!".

There is another mode called Nell Drops. Its part of the modes you can start through the puzzle pieces you collect, and might also be available through a mystery award... in this mode Nell is tied to the tracks and you need to hit the drop targets as many times as you can to collect 2M points each before the timer runs out. This is the mode where Nell says SAVE ME SAVE ME. The log mechanism doesnt run in this mode (at least on my machine), and that sort of makes sense, since in the story in this scenario she is tied to tracks, not the log.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

The Nell drop targets have two modes. There is one mode that is triggered by dropping all of the targets once and then you have to hit one more target to collect the 25 Million points (or 50 if you've started it a 2nd time). This mode is timed and last for 15 seconds or so, and will use the log mechanism, and the mode sound is the narrator of the show talking about time ticking down.... "just in the nick of time!".
There is another mode called Nell Drops. Its part of the modes you can start through the puzzle pieces you collect, and might also be available through a mystery award... in this mode Nell is tied to the tracks and you need to hit the drop targets as many times as you can to collect 2M points each before the timer runs out. This is the mode where Nell says SAVE ME SAVE ME. The log mechanism doesnt run in this mode (at least on my machine), and that sort of makes sense, since in the story in this scenario she is tied to tracks, not the log.

Thank you. From what I have seen, the rules you have described make perfect sense. Appreciate the explanation.

2 weeks later
#668 4 years ago

So I've noticed the left kickback value increases up to Advance X and if i continue to roll over a lit lane, it goes back to 1M. Is this coded this way or is something wrong with my machine? I gotta admit it does keep you on your toes since you have to change from trying to hit a lit up lane to avoiding the light.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

So I've noticed the left kickback value increases up to Advance X and if i continue to roll over a lit lane, it goes back to 1M. Is this coded this way or is something wrong with my machine? I gotta admit it does keep you on your toes since you have to change from trying to hit a lit up lane to avoiding the light.

I am pretty sure this is by design, it will keep looping around, so you do need to stay on top of the inlane returns to get it where its optimized.

#670 4 years ago

Hi all,
I am going to be building a backbox door for r&b. I was wondering if someone could provide me some measurements for the placement of the big holes for the animation. A good picture of the front and back would also be helpful.
Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

1 week later
#671 4 years ago

Installed a DIY poor man’s Pinstadium, cold white

57B86973-D6D9-49C1-9E68-C7367F0353E6 (resized).jpeg57B86973-D6D9-49C1-9E68-C7367F0353E6 (resized).jpegCD4764CC-AF8A-4085-A3B1-6AF3041D65F5 (resized).jpegCD4764CC-AF8A-4085-A3B1-6AF3041D65F5 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#672 4 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Installed a DIY poor man’s Pinstadium, cold white[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great !!

Can you provide your method ??

#673 4 years ago

Just Joined the Club

Any pointers or mandatory things I should do to improve playability or game rules

05B4F8BA-3259-4584-AD9D-DAC193E973CE (resized).jpeg05B4F8BA-3259-4584-AD9D-DAC193E973CE (resized).jpeg
#674 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Just Joined the Club
Any pointers or mandatory things I should do to improve playability or game rules[quoted image]

I found a service bulletin after I had gone through the R&B we had. I'll try and attach, it fixes straight down the middle drains from outer loop.

sb38c.pdfsb38c.pdf
#675 4 years ago

Looks Great !!
Can you provide your method ??

Google on poor mans pinstadium. Only difference is the mounting which I did on the mirror blades.

#676 4 years ago

Question

Still discovering game rules and play

I notice that EVERY shot to the right ramp the balls gets diverted to the right via ramp diverter, it never goes through down to the left side of the Playfield

This normal ?

#677 4 years ago

This video has a great overview of the rules and gameplay.

#678 4 years ago

Thanks! That's my video!
Bullsie left my collection a while ago but I still love it. I got to play one at Recbar in Louisville a while ago and lit that sucker up.

#679 4 years ago

Question
Still discovering game rules and play
I notice that EVERY shot to the right ramp the balls gets diverted to the right via ramp diverter, it never goes through down to the left side of the Playfield
This normal ?

I believe it will only return to the left when "Spin and Win" mode is underway.

#680 4 years ago

Awesome !!

Thank you so much

This overview packs even more than I thought

#681 4 years ago

Could use a few plastics

Anyone buy a new set and have a few available lmk

Also a reasonably price used topper I am seeking as well

PM me

Thanks

3 weeks later
#682 4 years ago

I joined the club today!

Been in storage for years. So its dirty as heck. I’ll shoot pics tomorrow.
I already bought new pinballs, backbox animal plastics, and rubbers.

I was going to get leds after I did a count, but if someone has a rough idea how what colors, and how many, I would appreciate it.

Also a recommendation on where to get the leds and what type .

#683 4 years ago

Its dirty, but should clean up nicely. May be a month or so before I get a game in.

69243219-6369-4E60-9AC0-738577E257E2 (resized).jpeg69243219-6369-4E60-9AC0-738577E257E2 (resized).jpeg7533EBC0-C249-42B0-A64A-D6EA1652BE3E (resized).jpeg7533EBC0-C249-42B0-A64A-D6EA1652BE3E (resized).jpeg8AF8E4AD-FCD5-4A0D-9FBE-44ABE6B4E51F (resized).jpeg8AF8E4AD-FCD5-4A0D-9FBE-44ABE6B4E51F (resized).jpegC1803970-F04A-47DF-9A78-CB1391FF82D3 (resized).jpegC1803970-F04A-47DF-9A78-CB1391FF82D3 (resized).jpegCAC917C6-0309-42DE-88C8-4BCE754BD0E2 (resized).jpegCAC917C6-0309-42DE-88C8-4BCE754BD0E2 (resized).jpegE9EF22C3-3842-40E6-A364-37FE736EFA76 (resized).jpegE9EF22C3-3842-40E6-A364-37FE736EFA76 (resized).jpeg
#684 4 years ago

Upon closer inspection, I am going to have to virtually remove every part from the play field to get this thing clean.

I have a couple of questions (though it seems I'm the only one in this thread, hahaha).

Are any of the ramps reproduced/available? One of my has a hole in it and was duct taped. geez. I can mickey mouse it in the mean time.

I am looking in the manual at the bulbs I need to order. I will be placing an order with comet I think.

It mentions 4 bulb types:

Looking at the play field layout in the manual I can do a decent job of counting the 44s, 89's and 555s. I can't see a single 906 listed on the play field layout in the manual. Does anyone know if it uses any , or the exact count (including back box if relevant)

The manual doesn't seem to show the back box bulb placement. I guess I can just go count those.

#685 4 years ago

There are plenty of us who read this thread...

I don't believe there are any 906's in R&B. While you are working in the backbox, take the Lion coil off 50v and attach the wire to either one of the other coils. It's covered somewhere in this thread. Also check that the weatherstripping is in decent shape so the new plastics don't break when they slam up/down.

The WABAC ramp has been reproduced twice. First time by Pinball Inc (now Starship Fantasy), and more recently by Freeplay40 on Pinside. I don't know about current availability.

R&B was the pin that got us in the hobby and it will most likely be the last to go. Great implementation of an outstanding theme.

I still need to get the Colordmd for this pin.

Steve (in Las Vegas)

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

There are plenty of us who read this thread...
I don't believe there are any 906's in R&B. While you are working in the backbox, take the Lion coil off 50v and attach the wire to either one of the other coils. It's covered somewhere in this thread. Also check that the weatherstripping is in decent shape so the new plastics don't break when they slam up/down.
The WABAC ramp has been reproduced twice. First time by Pinball Inc (now Starship Fantasy), and more recently by Freeplay40 on Pinside. I don't know about current availability.
R&B was the pin that got us in the hobby and it will most likely be the last to go. Great implementation of an outstanding theme.
I still need to get the Colordmd for this pin.
Steve (in Las Vegas)

There may be 6 906's in the back box. I ordered them just in case. I ordered a ton of non ghosting leds from comet, so I should be good there. THanks on the weatherstripping insight. It looks like 2 of the back box animal plastics are good. I may just replace the lion and keep the other 2 good pieces for now. I want to say it's the right ramp thats busted. I'll look around. I ordered some plastic protectors (9 piece, $28 set) , can't hurt since I am going to have to almost strip this thing as I am going through it. (just to clean it). New rubbers are on hand. Somebody mentioned an NVRAM to me to eliminate batteries? I need to do that in the near future as well.

I will do that lion coil test after I recap the upper left hand board in the back box, and reflow the others.

thanks!
Dylan

edit: I am just using a white tee shirt and water right now to get all of the dirt off. After I think I've reasonably done that, I think I will wax the play field Does this process seem acceptable? Also, do you guys use mirror blades, or the other non-mirror blades I've seen somewhere?

#687 4 years ago

Ive changed the light bulbs to LED and its important to note that you cant trust the manual when it comes to the lights. I bought a lot of wrong parts because of this.

Second, I dont think you should clean with water at all. There are cleaners made specifically for this task

#688 4 years ago

Novus 2 is your friend for cleaning. Water can work it's way into the wood, which is a bad thing...

#689 4 years ago

I'm also reading this thread, but i've had a bit of an extended break from Pinball due to moving house.

I'm just int the process of wrapping up a full strip and rebuild of mine. I've got a couple of minor issues to solve and I should be done.

Mine was in a playable state when I got it but the entire back end was missing and had been patched up. There were a lot of minor issues that most people would probably have ignored but my OCD got the better of me and I ended up doing pretty much an entire strip down and rebuild. That included getting a donor cabinet which I sanded and filled before applying some custom decals I got online.

I know the purists amongst us would say I shouldn't have messed with the original but personally I like the new artwork more.

I also realise that since getting it all put back together I haven't taken any photos. I must remedy that and get some of the finished article taken.

2013-06-09 20.09.18 (resized).jpg2013-06-09 20.09.18 (resized).jpg2013-11-07 20.15.40 (resized).jpg2013-11-07 20.15.40 (resized).jpg2014-10-23 11.55.20 (resized).jpg2014-10-23 11.55.20 (resized).jpg2015-08-04 19.45.46 (resized).jpg2015-08-04 19.45.46 (resized).jpg
#690 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredworm:

I'm also reading this thread, but i've had a bit of an extended break from Pinball due to moving house.
I'm just int the process of wrapping up a full strip and rebuild of mine. I've got a couple of minor issues to solve and I should be done.
Mine was in a playable state when I got it but the entire back end was missing and had been patched up. There were a lot of minor issues that most people would probably have ignored but my OCD got the better of me and I ended up doing pretty much an entire strip down and rebuild. That included getting a donor cabinet which I sanded and filled before applying some custom decals I got online.
I know the purists amongst us would say I shouldn't have messed with the original but personally I like the new artwork more.
I also realise that since getting it all put back together I haven't taken any photos. I must remedy that and get some of the finished article taken.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey hey! Those cabinet decals are looking good!

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from G-Bee:

Ive changed the light bulbs to LED and its important to note that you cant trust the manual when it comes to the lights. I bought a lot of wrong parts because of this.
Second, I dont think you should clean with water at all. There are cleaners made specifically for this task

I ordered a "led set" and it was the wrong type, push in instead of bayonet bottom. So make sure you check. Cliffy makes ramp protectors for this as well. I have them and the blades. looks good.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Hey hey! Those cabinet decals are looking good!

They are incredible and so much nicer than the originals. I feel very lucky to have managed to grab a set.

#693 4 years ago

Yeah..might as well take it completely apart and do it right once. I did my newly acquired one this spring, turned out great, flame polished the ramps as well. The color dmd looks awesome in this game as well. Good time to replace all the pop bumper spoons and skirts too.

IMAG1289 (resized).jpgIMAG1289 (resized).jpgIMAG1290 (resized).jpgIMAG1290 (resized).jpg
#694 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Yeah..might as well take it completely apart and do it right once. I did my newly acquired one this spring, turned out great, flame polished the ramps as well. The color dmd looks awesome in this game as well. Good time to replace all the pop bumper spoons and skirts too.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job!

Two questions:
Where can I get the pop bumpers and skirts you mentioned?
Are the guns n roses drop down targets the same as the save nell drop down targets? I have a new set for gnr (backups).

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Nice job!
Two questions:
Where can I get the pop bumpers and skirts you mentioned?
Are the guns n roses drop down targets the same as the save nell drop down targets? I have a new set for gnr (backups).

I just redid my gnr totally as well.. the drop targets are probably the same..but I'd just order the new set from Marco, they come with new decals also . Marco should have all the bumper skirts and spoons to

IMAG1298 (resized).jpgIMAG1298 (resized).jpg
#696 4 years ago

Wow this machine is filthy. I didn’t quite realize I was getting into a 40+ hour project on this machine.

Anyway I pulled up the nell side of the play field. Glued the broken plastic. (Among many other broken plastics), and took some pics of the inside of the nell “unit”.

Am I missing something? Looks like a pulley in there that is missing the “rope”/rubber?

Edit: I found the nell belt on marco and placed an order.

1F9AA3C7-C3DC-4C30-A276-EC9C280E181F (resized).jpeg1F9AA3C7-C3DC-4C30-A276-EC9C280E181F (resized).jpegCCAB7536-BC08-4B07-A34A-82AF31D11A36 (resized).jpegCCAB7536-BC08-4B07-A34A-82AF31D11A36 (resized).jpegEA89FE69-F92C-45BD-BDC5-4FB2E33A3481 (resized).jpegEA89FE69-F92C-45BD-BDC5-4FB2E33A3481 (resized).jpeg

#697 4 years ago

Ok so I am a couple of hours in to getting the nell log feature going.

For some reason I cannot get the pulley with gear to mount into the motor. It pretends to go in somewhat, but when I gently slide it back and forth to test the log, it pops out of the motor. I assume maybe something is broke, or I am missing a lock nut/c-clip for the bottom of the pulley?

I have not yet, once, got it to insert to a point where it goes through to the other side where a c-clip could attach if it were supposed to.

Any insight?

#698 4 years ago

And clearly I am an idiot. I can’t figure out how to remove the old and install the new SAVED drop targets.

Edit: It was much more involved than I would have expected, but I got the new SAVED drop targets in.

I’m making progress!

#699 4 years ago

well I ordered a new motor off of ebay just in case I can't get mine to work.

I don't even know if mine works at this point, but I certainly cannot get the pulley wheel to stay in the motor. It keeps falling out.

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

well I ordered a new motor off of ebay just in case I can't get mine to work.
I don't even know if mine works at this point, but I certainly cannot get the pulley wheel to stay in the motor. It keeps falling out.

at least that part of the machine has no impact on the game play! Game on!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

3,900 (OBO)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 1,512 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club/page/14?hl=mitoska and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.