New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 905 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Bravebluerx
  • Topic is favorited by 49 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 245 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DFD22A4F-CC11-4B44-8CE7-78CC1FD40B41 (resized).jpeg
F1F4861D-5237-4518-BBCE-8CF452CC9678 (resized).png
01F8AC2C-D227-4D7B-A394-A7DB1CF759F5 (resized).png
4B05C113-E9D4-4601-AC54-3DB79261628C (resized).png
9BC7A27B-2ADA-41CB-AE96-BAE35E9FC4BF (resized).png
FA51FE54-69FE-409C-82F9-EAB9EBFE1E7C (resized).png
87BAF82C-9541-4A9C-A53C-59320A86CB6B (resized).png
D44A3A66-E7AA-46EB-BE54-03C2E18FF668 (resized).png
88D7A4AC-FA59-4E33-B783-AC5E8A679D24 (resized).jpeg
Color 3 (resized).jpg
Color 2 (resized).jpg
Color 1 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
4124E8560B374ACC87B71554A3256467 (resized).jpg
3E56D6B548FC4F03BAFAD53DD7A45DF9 (resized).jpg
5CCB656E3EB440E1850DA5F38D7D585B (resized).jpg

There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 19.
#501 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

so have a question for you r&b club guys. I am still messing with mine and think I have determined that it is the power supply. What does the relay on the power supply control? I noticed mine is a little smoky on the plastic by the contacts.

Relay on the power supply is to strobe the GI lighting on/off. What is the current issue you are having?

#502 2 years ago

If the issue is with the 5v supply then it probably needs a new 100uf (25v or higher) cap and maybe some traces fixed under it.... I've fixed several of these including mine.

#503 2 years ago

Issue I’m having is the 50v coils fire when the flashers on that line should flash. I also have some of the 30v coils not working. I plan on doing a power supply rebuild and go from there. I think the power supply is my issue. Cpu was tested on a D/E tester and everything checks out

#504 2 years ago

Have you looked over the playfield to see if any wires wore through, pinched under a fastener, or somehow shorting against something it shouldn't?

#505 2 years ago

Good call. I haven’t done that yet. Probably should look around but a bunch of coils aren’t working so a lot of wires have to be messed up then right?

#506 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Good call. I haven’t done that yet. Probably should look around but a bunch of coils aren’t working so a lot of wires have to be messed up then right?

May have been a single short in the wrong place that may have taken out some drivers. Definitely look for shorts. It has happened on other machines.

After ensuring that things look good it can help to make a list of the specific coils that aren't working to see if there is something in common that would prevent them from working. I'd look for any prior repair work or hacks. Any if the bad coils replaced? Was a diode installed backwards or left off where there should be one? Was this game ever working for you or a new pickup with an unknown past?

#507 2 years ago

Are the ones you have issues with driven by the PPB board? I've had to repair those before. If you've never had the boards out of it take a good look at the front and back of each. It is amazing what people have done to pinball boards in the past. I've spent a lot of time straightening out hacks and fixing boards to make them right again.

#508 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What is the latest ROM version for Rocky and Bullwinkle? I've seen v1.3 and a version 3.2

While 3.20 is technically the latest code, Data East (and even later into the 2000s Stern manuals for newer games) continued to report 1.30 as the latest code. The official Stern CD-ROMs that used to be available also contain version 1.30. My recollection from messing with the two is that 3.20 had a bug in the custom pricing settings that caused odd behavior with certain setting combinations. If you are using free play or standard pricing, I don't think there was a problem with either version.

3.20 also added support for printouts, but since the necessary wiring is probably not present on most R&Bs and the printers aren't exactly commonplace anyway, it's kind of a moot point. I wrote up a deep dive into the rules using 1.30 several years ago and updated Keefer's rule sheet, but it should apply to either version:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fractured-pinball-rules-rocky-and-bullwinkle-re-re-re-visited

Please note that in general you don't want to mix major versions of the CPU and Display ROMs or you may get weird graphics and/or display resets.

Jon

#509 2 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

While 3.20 is technically the latest code, Data East (and even later into the 2000s Stern manuals for newer games) continued to report 1.30 as the latest code. The official Stern CD-ROMs that used to be available also contain version 1.30. My recollection from messing with the two is that 3.20 had a bug in the custom pricing settings that caused odd behavior with certain setting combinations. If you are using free play or standard pricing, I don't think there was a problem with either version.
3.20 also added support for printouts, but since the necessary wiring is probably not present on most R&Bs and the printers aren't exactly commonplace anyway, it's kind of a moot point. I wrote up a deep dive into the rules using 1.30 several years ago and updated Keefer's rule sheet, but it should apply to either version:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fractured-pinball-rules-rocky-and-bullwinkle-re-re-re-visited
Please note that in general you don't want to mix major versions of the CPU and Display ROMs or you may get weird graphics and/or display resets.
Jon

One known bug in 3.20 is that Rocky doesn't show up in the Hat Trick after a while. Doing a software reset fixes it, but the problem always comes back. I have no idea why this is, and if this bug is only present in 3.20 or also in the earlier versions.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Hello everyone. Do I have weak flippers on mine.... Am I supposed to make the right ramp shot with cradled ball? Currently I can't. Playfield angle is around 6,5 degrees. I can barely make it to the left one.

If your flippers are weak or very weak for DE machines:

Have they been rebuilt with new parts? Old, worn out flipper parts make the assembly weak.

DE flipper boards use a short pulse at 50volts and then a hold voltage at 9 volts.

If the 50v fuses on the flipper board are blown (or something else is wrong with the 50v circuit) you will only get the 9v hold voltage and the flippers will be weak.

Same thing if the EOS switches are broken or missing - no 50v kick and only the weak 9v hold voltage. NOTE: this only applies to DE games that have EOS switches (JP and later) R&B does not have EOS switches.

RussM

#511 2 years ago

It will be nice to see the pictures. Did you just pull out the whole playfield to install? Any issues with the playfield rubbing on them as you lift it to work on?

Here you go..

IMG-20180710-02111 (resized).jpgIMG-20180710-02112 (resized).jpgIMG-20180710-02113 (resized).jpg

Sorry, wasn't really able to get the glass off (have to move a machine), so there is some glare in the one pic.
Looking at the pic, I think there is one bubble on the left side. I hade these rolled up for a long time. but that is me, not the product.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Here you go..

Sorry, wasn't really able to get the glass off (have to move a machine), so there is some glare in the one pic.
Looking at the pic, I think there is one bubble on the left side. I hade these rolled up for a long time. but that is me, not the product.

Thank you! Those really look good and ties in with the theme well. I've never installed a set before but just ordered them. I think they will be great in the game.

#513 2 years ago

I had never installed before either, really wasn't hard, did these, then did my Guardians.

#514 2 years ago

May have been a single short in the wrong place that may have taken out some drivers. Definitely look for shorts. It has happened on other machines.
After ensuring that things look good it can help to make a list of the specific coils that aren't working to see if there is something in common that would prevent them from working. I'd look for any prior repair work or hacks. Any if the bad coils replaced? Was a diode installed backwards or left off where there should be one? Was this game ever working for you or a new pickup with an unknown past?

the cpu was worked on by a local guy that does good board work. everything checks out on the cpu. he doesn't have a tester for the ppb but I did use a multi meter on it and everything checks out on that. I will make a list of the coils and will also check under the playfield.

#515 2 years ago

those pin blades look awesome!! if I ever get mine up and running then I may have to do those!

#516 2 years ago

My game was missing the topper. The one I ordered just arrived but it is only the plastic piece. Does anyone have a good picture of the brackets and fasteners to mount it? I'm sure I could just get some L brackets at the hardware store if I have to. If you happen to have a source for the proper ones a link to get them would be great.

#517 2 years ago

My game was missing the topper. The one I ordered just arrived but it is only the plastic piece. Does anyone have a good picture of the brackets and fasteners to mount it? I'm sure I could just get some L brackets at the hardware store if I have to. If you happen to have a source for the proper ones a link to get them would be great.

they are Just small L brackets. I will try to snap a pic if no one else does.

1 week later
#518 2 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for the plastic lift edge for the bottom of the backglass.

#519 2 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for the plastic lift edge for the bottom of the backglass.

Check Marco's

#520 2 years ago

Years ago I put a Cliffy hole protector on my Bullwinkle pinball. As time has gone on, there's seems to be a lot of wear forming on the opposite side of the metal hole protector in the Aesop hole. I believe it is starting to affect the trajectory of the ball coming out of the hole, it gets "hung up" a bit and falls back down and needs to be re-ejected from the hole. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it possible to get a second Cliffy protector so there is two separate sides of the hole with metal protectors on?

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from NeedMorePins:

Years ago I put a Cliffy hole protector on my Bullwinkle pinball. As time has gone on, there's seems to be a lot of wear forming on the opposite side of the metal hole protector in the Aesop hole. I believe it is starting to affect the trajectory of the ball coming out of the hole, it gets "hung up" a bit and falls back down and needs to be re-ejected from the hole. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it possible to get a second Cliffy protector so there is two separate sides of the hole with metal protectors on?

Sounds more like the coil sleeve needs to be changed and the coil plunger cleaned, making it seem like a weak coil.

#522 2 years ago

The coil doesn't seem weak but I will keep a closer eye on it. I attached a photo of the wear on the opposite side of where the hole protector is installed. Any ideas how to fix or to stop further damage?

P1010074 (resized).JPG
#523 2 years ago

Does the coil sleeve seem worn or sloppy where it aims the ball toward the back edge?

#524 2 years ago

I took it apart and the yellow piece that pushes the ball out of the hole seams flimsy. I'm think about putting in a new coil but do I need to replace the yellow part too? I have the manual but I don't see the yellow part listed in Outhole Ball Return diagram on page 38.

P1010078 (resized).JPG
#525 2 years ago
Quoted from NeedMorePins:

I took it apart and the yellow piece that pushes the ball out of the hole seams flimsy. I'm think about putting in a new coil but do I need to replace the yellow part too? I have the manual but I don't see the yellow part listed in Outhole Ball Return diagram on page 38.

That is the wrong assembly. Look on page 35, 500-5116-04 Super VUK. If the coil works, typically there is no reason to replace it. Yours looks really new so I would not do that.

I suggest checking the bend on the ball deflector. It might be leaning a little forward causing the ball to exit down instead of out of the hole. Screws might be loose. I had to tweak mine for other reasons.

The yellow part is a 545-5227-00.

1 week later
#526 2 years ago

I think I might have the same issue as NeedMorePins because the ball on mine frequently gets hung up when being kicked out of Aesops hole. It simply doesn't come out with the same amount of power that it used to; this is since the machine was fully stripped and rebuilt.

The machine is back together now but i've got a few niggling issues I need to address before I can give it a proper game. Specifically:

1. The spoons and switches on the pops need adjusting because they just aren't sensitive enough for my liking
2. Need to adjust the switches on the slingshots because of the same reason
3. Issue with the VUK mentioned above
4. The laser kick seems hit and miss. Sometimes if the ball comes down the lane too slowly the solenoid fires too early and it fails to kick the ball back into play. No idea what that's about so I need to figure it out. Note sure if it's just a case of bending the wireform on the switch possibly.

So yeah, a few issues to sort and then the machine should be playable.

1 week later
#527 2 years ago

Has anyone recently painted a Rocky and Bullwinkle cabinet and backbox? If so, what paint did you use and what was the color that matched the original?

#528 2 years ago
Quoted from gvac:

Has anyone recently painted a Rocky and Bullwinkle cabinet and backbox? If so, what paint did you use and what was the color that matched the original?

If you just need touch ups this works well:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club/page/3#post-3272357

#529 2 years ago

So i'm getting kind of tired of 90% of the skill shots going down the left lane. Would be cool to have more of a mix and even the right lane (God forbid) every once in a while.
What I've tried:
-Clean, wax the area.
-Fully clean the shooter coil, plunger, etc.
-Increased the coils to "hard" in adjustment settings.
Result is a tiny bit better but still see about 85% of the time it goes down the left lane / 0% down the right lane.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking about upgrading the shooter coil to a stronger coil and see if that can get the ball to bounce around at the top. Anyone done this or anything else to help? thanks!

#530 2 years ago
Quoted from rpageler:

So i'm getting kind of tired of 90% of the skill shots going down the left lane. Would be cool to have more of a mix and even the right lane (God forbid) every once in a while.
What I've tried:
-Clean, wax the area.
-Fully clean the shooter coil, plunger, etc.
-Increased the coils to "hard" in adjustment settings.
Result is a tiny bit better but still see about 85% of the time it goes down the left lane / 0% down the right lane.
Any other ideas? I'm thinking about upgrading the shooter coil to a stronger coil and see if that can get the ball to bounce around at the top. Anyone done this or anything else to help? thanks!

Do you get a bounce off of the gate lift? I'd check to see if it is installed correctly or needs to be adjusted.

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from rwarren28806:

Do you get a bounce off of the gate lift? I'd check to see if it is installed correctly or needs to be adjusted.

From what i can tell yes. not much bounce off of the rubber below it. i'll look at the gate but it seems to be fine.

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from rpageler:

From what i can tell yes. not much bounce off of the rubber below it. i'll look at the gate but it seems to be fine.

I'm not at home right now but if I recall my rubber parts were misrouted. I know that all of my lanes get used and occasionally it misses them all and goes back down the loop. I'll picture it and send it when I get back.

#533 2 years ago

Just got this game...practically perfect condition but i have the same problem with all the skill shots going down the left jet lane...

A few other skill shot issues i would love some help with are that if I try to switch the lane light before launch with the flipper buttons, it will automaticaly launch the ball...also, sometimes mine will just miss the gate altogether and just go around the loop...any thoughts on these issues? I would appreciate any help

#534 2 years ago

I'm not at home right now but if I recall my rubber parts were misrouted. I know that all of my lanes get used and occasionally it misses them all and goes back down the loop. I'll picture it and send it when I get back.

Cool. Hopefully i can see something by looking at your pics. Thx

#535 2 years ago
Quoted from rpageler:

Cool. Hopefully i can see something by looking at your pics. Thx

I hope this helps.

IMG_1726 (resized).JPGIMG_1728 (resized).JPG
#536 2 years ago

I hope this helps.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! Ill take a look when i get a chance in a couple weeks. Im now seeing about 80% left, 19% middle and, yes, 1% right lane since i waxed the area, cleaned the coil, and increased the coil power. If i dont see anything obvious when comparing photos ill prob try a 24-800 coil for a little more power.

#537 2 years ago

I was noticing in coil test mode that the knocker didn't work on my game, so I tried to find it and was unable to locate it. Does anyone happen to know if the game is supposed to have a knocker and if so, where it's located?

#538 2 years ago

Hey club members. I am happy to say that I FINALY got mine fully working!!! Now have a couple cosmetic things to do. So what leds are you guys running in yours? I want to bling this thing out!

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

I was noticing in coil test mode that the knocker didn't work on my game, so I tried to find it and was unable to locate it. Does anyone happen to know if the game is supposed to have a knocker and if so, where it's located?

It is supposed to be on the bottom of the cabinet mounted back to front, hits the cross piece on a hunk of metal. Violet-gray and brown wires. Mine was missing also. I bought the one called out for the in the manual and installed it. Lamest knocker ever. Like hitting your knuckles on a watermelon.

pasted_image (resized).png
#540 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Hey club members. I am happy to say that I FINALY got mine fully working!!! Now have a couple cosmetic things to do. So what leds are you guys running in yours? I want to bling this thing out!

I've used Comet and some from cointaker LEDs with good results on other games. Haven't switched over on the Rocky and Bullwinkle yet except for the shoot again because it was out. Used a red one to match the insert. I've had good luck color matching the inserts. Regular or warm white LEDs for the GI or backbox.

You may want to order a few samples before you dive in. The brightness can vary a bit. Some superbright are way too bright and some of the bargain LEDs aren't as bright as a bulb. You'll have to see what looks good to you where you have the machine setup.

I would avoid some of the "kits" for your game unless you love purple. There are several kits sold with color GI and they all look purple. That would make a game worth less to me as I'd have to pull them out and replace them.

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

knocker (resized).jpg
#542 2 years ago
Quoted from gvac:

I have a link at home of a place that sells supposedly the correct color. I will try to remember to log in tonight and post it.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have a link at home of a place that sells supposedly the correct color. I will try to remember to log in tonight and post it.

Pinball universe?

#544 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Pinball universe?

Sorry, for got to check, will check today.

#545 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Pinball universe?

just got home and checked, yes, Pinball Universe..

#546 2 years ago

When I try to switch the light above the jet lanes for the skill shot it launches the ball and automatically say “you missed.” Can anyone help?

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from HamDandsome:

When I try to switch the light above the jet lanes for the skill shot it launches the ball and automatically say “you missed.” Can anyone help?

You may have launch with flipper enabled in options.

#548 2 years ago

I do wish it were that simple but I do not see that in the “adjustments” and also it only does it about 50% of the time...please help!

#549 2 years ago

Sorry Maybe i was thinking of scared stiff adjustments. Hmm. Anyway, found this thread. Sounds similar:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-flippers-launch-ball-help

#550 2 years ago

Man! Thank you so much! This is it for sure...I alpreciate you taking the time to help me out...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
2,700 (Firm)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Sale Pending!
Sinking Spring, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
There are 905 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside