(Topic ID: 146487)

"That trick never works!" - Rocky & Bullwinkle Club!

By RDReynolds

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PPB F5 Broken Fuse Holder (resized).JPG
DE JP PPB Board (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2464 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
IMG_2432 (resized).JPG
IMG_2422 (resized).JPG
IMG_2421 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240305_102841_Photos (resized).jpg
IMG_2361 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2359 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2289 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2299 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7466 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7468 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 30.
#1 8 years ago

Looked and didn't see a club for this awesome game! Let's fix that here.

Starting off question - should you be able to backhand the ramps? I can sometimes get the left ramp but almost never get the right. Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Yup for all Rocky & Bullwinkle owners......is there a fix to prevent the backglass from being scratched by the mechanical arm?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Looked and didn't see a club for this awesome game! Let's fix that here.
Starting off question - should you be able to backhand the ramps? I can sometimes get the left ramp but almost never get the right. Thoughts?

It just depends on how you like to set your flippers. If you turn the flippers up a smidge you can backhand but if you do that it makes the orbit shots a little more difficult.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Yup for all Rocky & Bullwinkle owners......is there a fix to prevent the backglass from being scratched by the mechanical arm?

Not that i know of. Mine has the same problem.

#5 8 years ago

On the backhand shot: Using strictly the guidelines set by the manual for flipper position, voltage, and incline, the backhand shot should be very difficult to pull off. When I first got my machine, the backhand jackpot was quite easy to do. When I began restoring the machine, I found out this was because someone put a more powerful coil in that right flipper, and the rubber grommet had disintegrated away, giving the flipper more power and a wider swing. I replaced everything with all brand new parts & coils, and made sure everything was calibrated in accordance with the manual. The backhand jackpot shot is now very difficult to pull off, so much so in fact that's strategically better to pass the shot to the left flipper as intended by the designers.

On the backglass nose scratch: I got a sheet of sticker-backed felt padding and cut a square that covers the top of the screw head. This prevents any further scratching from taking place.

#6 8 years ago

Pretty rare for me to hit the right backhand shot.

Backglass scratch: It was there when I got the machine and I just found that when everything was tightened properly that screw has a reasonable gap to the glass, check it occasionally and it shouldn't hit it. My question is how to go about fixing it now that it's there? (I also have a some scratches on the arc of the lion mech that was also not fastened properly, less noticeable because of the busier artwork there)

Speaking of the lion, has anyone come up with a simple mod that gets the lion to go all the way up? Mine only goes about 1/2 - 2/3 at most. In testing the coil it pulls the rod solidly down but not not to the bottom. When not activating the coil, I can push the rod all the way down. Maybe I have the wrong rod and need a shorter one.

Lastly, if anyone is interested, I have some pics of disassembling my Nell motor to fix it spinning but nothing moving. I read in the Data East owners thread that this is common, but people were saying the gears were stripped inside and there wasn't any fixing it. When I took it apart I found it is unlikely that the gears are actually stripped. I was able to repair it fairly simply.

-Mike

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Yes.

You can put an adhesive-felt square or circle over the pivot screw in the arm. That's the part that contacts the back of the glass and scratches up the paint.

Whenever I move my R&B when I have to lower the head, I put a piece of heavy packing paper behind the backglass as easy protection.

Unfortunately, pretty much 100% of R&B machines have scratched paint at Bullwinkle's nose, because the damage happened as soon as the game was assembled and folded into the box for shipping.

It would be possible to get replacements made, but it's a real backglass with mirroring, so that's serious dollars, like 300-400.

RussM

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Sliderpoint:

Speaking of the lion, has anyone come up with a simple mod that gets the lion to go all the way up? Mine only goes about 1/2 - 2/3 at most. In testing the coil it pulls the rod solidly down but not not to the bottom. When not activating the coil, I can push the rod all the way down. Maybe I have the wrong rod and need a shorter one.
-Mike

Usually the problem is the other way - the Lion coil is overpowered and slams the assembly way too hard.

I have a coil wiring mod to fix this (hitting too hard).

Try taking the Lion arm assy apart, clean everything, especially the pivot point (may be old grease here; re-lube with teflon gel aka SuperLube), and check the coil plunger and nylon coil sleeve is clean and not binding.

RussM

#10 8 years ago

Cool, I'll see how that affects it.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Sliderpoint:

Lastly, if anyone is interested, I have some pics of disassembling my Nell motor to fix it spinning but nothing moving. I read in the Data East owners thread that this is common, but people were saying the gears were stripped inside and there wasn't any fixing it. When I took it apart I found it is unlikely that the gears are actually stripped. I was able to repair it fairly simply.
-Mike

Almost always the motor is stripped, but when that is the case, neither the saw will spin nor the log move. On mine, I inspected the original motor and it was in fact stripped. I bought a replacement motor that changes direction automatically when the log hits either end of the table, negating the need for the tension spring. I leave the spring in anyway since I don't want to lose track of the part.

Also with regard to the Lion plate in the backbox, you can get a really nice replacement plate from Marco. I compared it to my original, and it actually had better printing (sharper alignment of the color layers).

2 months later
#12 8 years ago

The more I play of this game the more I think it is one of the most underrated ever. Has amazing flow, great feeling shots, just an awesome awesome machine.

#13 8 years ago

I love mine. I wouldn't mind seeing the nell disassembly, I have to pull mine apart and put the correct belt on. It looks like someone just put a rubber band on and just installed in an oval instead of the figure 8, as it seems to move the opposite direction.

#14 8 years ago

As I recall yes you switch it to a figure 8.

Really can't stop playing this game. Flows like the Mississippi!

#15 8 years ago

anyone get to 300K yet for free game? I've only made it 170K. Love this game. have same lion trouble, it only goes up halfway and same nell saw trouble. Also one of my drop targets broke, but I'll still take it with flaws over most games.

#16 8 years ago

The key to 300k is the 100k jackpot! Also I found tweaking the flipper position makes all the difference in the world on this game. Back handing the right ramp isn't easy per se but it's possible. Flow flow flow!!!

#17 8 years ago

I'm in! Finished cleaning this beast up.. Meanest R&B out there I think, 100k+ hasn't happened much..

IMG_0503_(resized).JPGIMG_0503_(resized).JPG

IMG_0504_(resized).JPGIMG_0504_(resized).JPG

IMG_0505_(resized).JPGIMG_0505_(resized).JPG

IMG_0507_(resized).JPGIMG_0507_(resized).JPG

#18 8 years ago

Interesting cat topper. I bought a bunch of the rocky and bullwinkle plushes off of ebay and put them on top. CVS must have sold them at one point. Maybe a mountie hat would work too.

#19 8 years ago

mountie_(resized).jpgmountie_(resized).jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Interesting cat topper. I bought a bunch of the rocky and bullwinkle plushes off of ebay and put them on top. CVS must have sold them at one point. Maybe a mountie hat would work too.

Yep, that cat topper actually moves... chases the ball, probably why I can't get 100k plus.

#21 8 years ago

Alright, alright. Glad to see there's a support group for R&B. Just got this neglected girl last week, guess you can call it a barn find, something called it home. Started cleaning and the playfield is actually in great shape, once I got the mouse nest out the outhole seems to be functioning better too!
Boards are all good, the machine boots up and runs, previous owner actually pulled the batteries. I will be looking for insight on this wonderful DE game and thank you all in advance. I only wish the previous owner had one of those cat toppers!

20160210_073657-1_(resized).jpg20160210_073657-1_(resized).jpg
20160210_075914-1_(resized).jpg20160210_075914-1_(resized).jpg
20160210_075920-1_(resized).jpg20160210_075920-1_(resized).jpg
20160214_082003-1_(resized).jpg20160214_082003-1_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago

Cannot wait to see how that machine cleans up. The world needs more R&B!

#23 8 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see the requests for these pics earlier. Here are the steps I used to fix my motor.

First cut the lip off around the back half of the casing, this way I could take it apart. I used an air cutoff wheel, but you could a dremel with cutoff discs as well:
CutOutterLip_(resized).pngCutOutterLip_(resized).png

pic of the motor apart, as you can see all the gears are steel or brass. This is why I would think it unlikely that they would strip as the gears outside the motor are all plastic and I would expect them to break first, but yemv:
SplitOpen_(resized).pngSplitOpen_(resized).png

This was the problem set on mine. These two gears are supposed to be pressed together and spin together. Mine were spinning freely of each other:
SlippingGearSet_(resized).pngSlippingGearSet_(resized).png

I could actually just push the smaller one out with with my fingers:
separated_(resized).pngseparated_(resized).png

Sorry, I'm don't have a pic of the actual dimpling, but on the larger outside gear, I used a punch or awl to hammer dimples around the inside hole, it is just brass so it's pretty soft. Once the hole had a few compressed deformations, I just used a vice to press the two gears back together. It ended up looking like this:
dimpled_(resized).pngdimpled_(resized).png

They definitely no longer spun independently. I reassembled with new grease and just used some epoxy to hold the casing together again.
Turns everything again no problems.

Hope this helps.
-Mike

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

I'm in! Finished cleaning this beast up.. Meanest R&B out there I think, 100k+ hasn't happened much..

Nice work! Glad to see you still have the original green Wells Gardner coin buttons too. Hold onto them as they are no longer made. On the flippers, I went with blue bands to match the theme. Also your Nell table light shield is supposed to fit underneath the plastic, that's why the plastic has that slot there. I noticed very few machines actually have that correct these days.

Oh one other thing: Your lane guides are installed upside down. The posts should be pointing upwards on both halves, making three equally spaced 'levels'.

#25 8 years ago

The more I play this game the more I think it's one of the most underrated pins ever. So fun!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Nice work! Glad to see you still have the original green Wells Gardner coin buttons too. Hold onto them as they are no longer made. On the flippers, I went with blue bands to match the theme. Also your Nell table light shield is supposed to fit underneath the plastic, that's why the plastic has that slot there. I noticed very few machines actually have that correct these days.
Oh one other thing: Your lane guides are installed upside down. The posts should be pointing upwards on both halves, making three distance 'levels'.

Thanks for the info, will adjust. (Noob here)

I had some of PBL's green flipper rubbers laying around, they match the green perfect on the football field below.

2 weeks later
#27 8 years ago

*Sold, Thanks

Anyone need a topper? I bought a new one because this one is warped.. I read that it can be put into the oven or use a heat gun to flatten, well oven not big enough and no heat gun. $20 plus ship to anyone interested.

I also have 2 button decals if needed.

Thanks

IMG_0818_(resized).JPGIMG_0818_(resized).JPG
IMG_0819_(resized).JPGIMG_0819_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Help! Can someone take a picture of their trough switches for me? Mine don't seem correct and I can't find a drawing. I need a picture of the 3 micro switchs and how the leaf wires run, especially the one with the longer switch, not sure if it needs adjusting but it's telling me 1 ball is missing so something is wrong. I can tell someone has messed with it because one of the screws isn't factory issue. Going to replace all 3 switches.
Thanks

20160316_222641_001_(resized).jpg20160316_222641_001_(resized).jpg

20160316_222659_001_(resized).jpg20160316_222659_001_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#29 7 years ago

Used pic from Harvs to figure out switch issue, running like a champ. Is there an updated version that cuts down on the "wrong hat"

#30 7 years ago

Just joined the club! Picked mine up two weeks ago. Playfield in great shape, just a touch dusty from storage, seems to have all the parts, only one cracked plastic (left midfield above Aesop). Broken Rocky and Lion plastics. I've got some preliminary parts on order (lamps, cleaner, rubbers, new balls, new hat trick plastics, Nell belt) Boots up to some nonrandom garbage dots, no cpu hearbeat, only a couple lights and a flasher going on. Electronics are my thing so I'm looking forward to this project. Ramps okay, one seems repaired with a dark plastic. Might give me an excuse to build a vacuform machine to fix my ramp and Nell log. Lockdown bar retainer is pretty rusty, but want to watch out for what looks like hexavalent chromium if I bead blast it.
It's my first pin! Glad to see so much community with help and pictures to get me going. Hello!

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Used pic from Harvs to figure out switch issue, running like a champ. Is there an updated version that cuts down on the "wrong hat"

i think i read in one of the "restoration" posts that they added better foam behind the targets and it cut it down considerably, look for the threads and double check me though.
just searched around, it was either RussMeyers, or Firebrandx
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-or-lah-or-sf2#post-1963151
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adventures-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-what-to-look-for#post-1629499

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

It's funny when I first got it I wanted to that gone too but now I dig it.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

i think i read in one of the "restoration" posts that they added better foam behind the targets and it cut it down considerably, look for the threads and double check me though.
just searched around, it was either RussMeyers, or Firebrandx
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rb-or-lah-or-sf2#post-1963151
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adventures-of-rocky-and-bullwinkle-what-to-look-for#post-1629499

Padding and also re-gapping the contacts. Over time (especially on these old machines) the gaps become nearly closed, and the impact of the ball vibrates the gap in a rapid open-close-open-close manner. This causes the "wrong-wrong-wrong hat" audio issue. Basically just proper upkeep and service will prevent it from becoming an annoying problem.

#34 7 years ago

You are absolutely right. On all the excitement didn't get to the finite switch cleaning and gapping yet, just jumped right in once I got the trough switch configuration right. Kids are loving it and have forgiven me for selling their beloved Judge Dredd..

#35 7 years ago

don't know if you have seen, but CPR is considering doing the R&B playfield. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-more-cpr-playfield-candidates-up-now.

#36 7 years ago

I need help with a part # ID. I need the slide part that retains the board behind the backglass, the one that slides up to open the backbox (after the glass is already removed). It's missing on mine and nowhere in the manual does it list anything. Do I just need to make one myself or are they available?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from howdoyouafford:

I need help with a part # ID. I need the slide part that retains the board behind the backglass, the one that slides up to open the backbox (after the glass is already removed). It's missing on mine and nowhere in the manual does it list anything. Do I just need to make one myself or are they available?

This?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=54B2842E0E27D3B743F5FCFC3144F834.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=01-3745+

Bracket - lightbox to backbox
#01-3745

L-bracket used to lock lightbox to backbox in many pinball machines.

Reference:

01-3745

#38 7 years ago

You have magic search powers, thanks!

#39 7 years ago

Just seen these ramps on Feebay. Pricey but thought I'd post the link.

ebay.com link: NOS Rocky and Bullwinkle pinball WABAC and Rocky the squirrel ramps DATA EAST

#40 7 years ago

$465 shipped. That's one spicy meatball

#41 7 years ago

yikes, too rich for me. i could build a vacuform machine for that.
unrelated question, im starting to shop mine and found this metal strip bent around this post of the wabac ramp with holes and with a touch of solder on the end. is something missing from my game? not sure what this is.

20160406_173959_(resized).jpg20160406_173959_(resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

i picked my r&b about 2 months ago and extremely dirty but all cleaned up and fixed now.
very underrated game for sure.

looking for the plastic that goes on the nell log anybody????

also some advice on touching up the cabinet (paint color for the blue) ???

#43 7 years ago

I can scan you the nell plastic if you think you can make one yourself (search around for how). i found these guys sell matching painthttp://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm but never tried it, the consensus around is to match it yourself to how faded yours is unless totally repainting. This has some neat tricks, but as always ise your own sensibility for how you want it done. http://pinballrehab.com/articles/pinball-restoration
im brand new so dont take my advice though, just offering what i've seen so far.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

$465 shipped. That's one spicy meatball

looks like $445 shipped.

#45 7 years ago

Here is a short video of my Rocky and Bullwinkle (First machine I've owned) . I added mirror blades LED lighting and R & B toys I found on ebay. The one thing that annoys me is that when the Nelly feature turns on it starts and then will stop. I need to figure out how to adjust it correctly.

Matt

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from howdoyouafford:

I can scan you the nell plastic if you think you can make one yourself (search around for how). i found these guys sell matching painthttp://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm but never tried it, the consensus around is to match it yourself to how faded yours is unless totally repainting. This has some neat tricks, but as always ise your own sensibility for how you want it done. http://pinballrehab.com/articles/pinball-restoration
im brand new so dont take my advice though, just offering what i've seen so far.

if you can scan the nell plastic and send me the scan that would be great
as for the blue color match on the cabinet i have to sand down the back of the head (because it has some swelling ) and wanted to match the blue as close as possible

#47 7 years ago

Quoted from howdoyouafford:yikes, too rich for me. i could build a vacuform machine for that.
unrelated question, im starting to shop mine and found this metal strip bent around this post of the wabac ramp with holes and with a touch of solder on the end. is something missing from my game? not sure what this is.

20160406_173959_(resized).jpg

I do not have that piece of metal on mine. No idea why it would be there.

#48 7 years ago

Just a heads-up that CPR are registering interest for a possible playfield run for R&B.

If you might be in the market for a repro-playfield then i'd recommend you register an interest. The more people we can get behind it then the more chance it might get a go-ahead.

#49 7 years ago

So looking at the docs from ipdb.com I don't see a listing of the coils to test in in the coil test area - am i missing that somewhere? Also is there a good way to test the 'Hat Trick', and Nell buzz saw features?

thanks,
Tslayer

#50 7 years ago

Ok, When working on mine this weekend I dropped a screw down on the Pf and while retrieving it I noticed that on the Mr. Know it All plastic (back left corner, under the ramp) mine is missing a post. On the left of the plastic towards the front, there is supposed to be a post that holds the plastic up. Can anyone point me to what it is supposed to be so I can get one. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
3,900 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-trick-never-works-rocky-bullwinkle-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.