(Topic ID: 292292)

That time a pinball machine might have got you the job

By Luckydogg420

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I just had a video interview for a maintenance man position with a company that provides housing for people with mental health issues. They run several hundred units, so the job will mostly be light repairs between tenants. I wanted to be prompt so I logged into the meeting 5 min early. The meeting was being held with the head of HR and the head of the maintenance department.

The head of the maintenance department (a master plumber) jumped on the meeting a couple minutes before HR joined in and the first thing out of his mouth was. “I see on your resume that your hobby is that you restore and repair pinball and arcade machines”.
I say “yes I do”
Him “well I got an F-14 tomcat...”
Me “ that was my 1st pinball machine”
Him ”...thats been broken buried in the garage. I have the manual. But it’s beyond me. Maybe I’ll get you to give me a hand fixing it”

We chatted of a min or two before HR joined the meeting, and it went well. I feel like the interview went extremely well over all and wonder if a pinball machine will help be the deciding factor, if I end up getting the job.

I should know in a couple days. Fingers crossed.

#3 2 years ago

Congrats! I hope you get it.

Now that I'm working from home in my game room due to COVID, people on video calls see my pins in the background and ask how I get any work done. I try to explain that this is the only real space for me to work and that working from my game room actually makes me play less. I'm not sure they buy it. Perhaps there can be a thread called that time pinball made people at work think you were not doing your job.

#4 2 years ago

Cool story luckydog, hope you get the job!! Sounds like you impressed the head of maint.

#5 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure my pinball got me a hand job back in my teen years

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I should know in a couple days. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to you, I read somewhere the #1 reason someone does not get hired is not sufficiently differentiating themselves from others. #2 is failure to successfully transfer past experience to the current job opportunity - sounds like you nailed both of those!

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Good luck to you, I read somewhere the #1 reason someone does not get hired is not sufficiently differentiating themselves from others. #2 is failure to successfully transfer past experience to the current job opportunity - sounds like you nailed both of those!

I also did my research on the organization and used language from their mission statement and values when describing my abilities and experience.

#8 2 years ago

I got a job at a robotics place once because I knew the ladder logic their PLCs used from working on EMs

#9 2 years ago

Well she was Asian and very attractive, watched me play a great game on my STLE and I got the job. Oh

#10 2 years ago

Things are looking promising. I received an email from HR asking for my references and also what my hopes are for wages. The next step will be getting a police check to work with the vulnerable sector. I think my references will be positive, there’s no reason to think otherwise, and a police check should only take a couple days if I make it to that step in the process.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-time-a-pinball-machine-might-have-got-you-the-job and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.