(Topic ID: 306402)

That specific moment you were hooked

By manadams

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sk2 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I started collecting dedicated arcade games before pinball. A year and a half into arcade collecting, picked up my first pinball which was Xenon but that wasn't the hook for me. The hook was my second pin Scorpion, the specific moment where you lock both balls an the machine goes ape shit was the embedded event in my brain that pinball machines offered more when you got to a certain achievement. What specific moment on what machine caused your addiction? Here is the moment for me starting at 3:15 in the vid.

#2 2 years ago

Playing Black Knight in our hometown mall arcade, 1981...!

#3 2 years ago

A person needing help with a game posted on RGP and I responded.

Realized it gave me the chance to make my little corner of pinball better.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

First time I got multiball on F14 Tomcat, when the tri-color beacons spool up and light up the whole damn arcade.

Just awesome.

Later,
    EV

#5 2 years ago

Cool!!! Was it from the moment you pressed start or a moment when the Black Knight started taunting you? Perhaps once you first heard the awesome music or first multiball?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Cool!!! Was it from the moment you pressed start or a moment when the Black Knight started taunting you? Perhaps once you first heard the awesome music or first multiball?

Reply fail to Snowman.

#7 2 years ago

After having a few arcades over 2-3 years, my first pin was a nib Stern Spider-Man. I knew the first day. This was it!

That was October 2010.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

First time I got multiball on F14 Tomcat, when the tri-color beacons spool up and light up the whole damn arcade.
    Just awesome.
    Later,
    EV

I'm on my third F-14 Tomcat and doubt it's ever leaving, such great suspense once those beacons start rotating up until you lock the last ball and boom!!!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

After having a few arcades over 2-3 years, my first pin was a nib Stern Spider-Man. I knew the first day. This was it!
    That was October 2010.

My first Stern was a heavily routed SM. First hook on that game for me was the J. K. Simmons call outs.

#10 2 years ago

Playing Eight ball Deluxe at the local pizza shop .

#11 2 years ago

Skipping history in college in 1978 to play Sinbad in the bowling alley. Played for years before , but that game really hooked me.

#12 2 years ago

Played an old EM when a friend got one for her birthday. First time playing pinball. It was 1981. I was 12.

#13 2 years ago

A few games into TOTAN at a local arcade, I realized that it's not just flipping around, this game is actually trying to tell me a story. And that all these tales I'm trying to complete are leading to some grand finale. It blew my mind that pinball could be so complex and engaging.

I later discovered that not all games (in fact, very few games) worked like this, but it got me excited to play every game I could find and learn as much as I could about pinball.

#14 2 years ago

2 moments when I was just a kid:

Playing whirlwind for the first time and hearing “FEEL THE POWER OF THE WIND” in a booming voice. I thought that was so cool, and all I wanted to know was what would happen if I hit that flashing left ramp.

It wasn’t until a couple years later that I was playing White Water at an arcade. Watching the attract mode, I saw that I needed to complete the vacation planner to get the vacation jackpot. Suddenly, I realized that there were objectives. Levels, even. Like a video game, and that if I did it all, I’d “beat” it. Way cool. Double hooked me because I wanted to know what it was like to beat the game.

It wouldn’t be until my adult life, having owned the game, that I’d find out.

#15 2 years ago

As a kid playing Addams Family. I remember the mystery/magic of the stair cases and the whole playfield.

#16 2 years ago

1) getting the bell to go ape shit on Space Shuttle.

2) after buying my first pin (DE Simpsons) and realizing I was turning on and plunging in less time that my Xbox could get to the home screen… only to then need a game update, reboot, system update, reboot… etc.

#17 2 years ago

Finally getting multiball on our Embryon when I was a kid. As soon as I could afford it I started buying games for the house. The rest is history!

#18 2 years ago

Mine was when I went to papa headquarters when I was very new to pinball. I played Lord of the rings and when gandolf started shouting jackpot made me feel like a better player than I was and I was hooked.

#19 2 years ago

When I was 13 and Skateball showed up at the arcade.

sk2 (resized).jpgsk2 (resized).jpg
    #20 2 years ago

Seeing Thing grab your ball, or the Showtime multiball awesome.

#21 2 years ago

Visiting some friends in Portland back in 2005 or 2006 who had gotten into pinball. It was LotR that did it. Things clicked for the first time that I realized there were modes and objectives to a game.

They took me around to other games they were more excited about like AfM and MM, and I liked those enough, but I kept going back to LotR. Couldn't stop thinking about it

#22 2 years ago

First time I played Theatre of Magic started my pinball bug.

#23 2 years ago

I got hooked watching a YouTube video of a guy repair some Gorgar drop targets. The way the mechanism worked fascinated me.

Suffice to say, my first pin was a gorgar. I like to play them, but moreso, i like to repair them.

#24 2 years ago

My brother rented Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for Wii for a week, and during that time we were competing for high scores.

The way the game is set up, with achievements and having to complete those to unlock machines for free play, helped show both of us that there are objectives and scoring strategies to the games, and so we had to delve into learning the rules.

I think the moment I first managed to score a jackpot on Funhouse was the exact moment I got hooked. Everything from the buildup as you get into multiball, to Rudy's scream, to the victory music that plays afterwards, not to mention the big points, got me more excited than I think anything else I'd ever experienced playing video games.

Still crazy to think that what most would consider to be a B-tier Wii game changed my life forever.

#25 2 years ago

The first time I hit the 3 million shoot on Elvira and the party monsters at a pizza shop I Frequented during college!

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

The hook was my second pin Scorpion, the specific moment where you lock both balls an the machine goes ape shit was the embedded event in my brain that pinball machines offered more when you got to a certain achievement.

Scorpion is an awesome game. Mine was when I was 7/8 and got multiball on DE TMNT and everything went nuts in the game. “I love being a turtle!!!”

#27 2 years ago

When the Black Knight told me how bad I was.

#28 2 years ago

As a youngster in the 80s going to local arcades was my thing. Played tons of video games and sometimes pinball but pinball didn’t bite me until the early 90s. I was on vacation in Phoenix visiting my grandparents (a very boring type of trip for a teen). My older cousin arrived too and we went to a big arcade in Phoenix several times (I think it may have been Aladdin’s Castle). He was into pinball and he showed me the ropes on several games. They had some of the 90s greats like Funhouse etc. it was then I realized the depth of the games and I loved pinball since. It was about 10 years later after I got my first good job and as soon as I could make it happen got my first pin - a Funhouse for $1200. Bought site unseen and shipped. Luckily it worked out. Still have that machine 20 years later.

#29 2 years ago

I had two "moments": As a teenager first time I got the special lights lit on 4 Square at the local roller rink (yes I am that old) and hit them repeatedly - that pop, pop, pop of the knocker. Wow.

Second time: after only occasional brushes with pinball at bars or pizza places through my adult life, visited my new wife's godson 6 years ago who had a house full of games. Oh crap, you can actually own pinball machines??????? My first was a 4 Square he helped me find 2 days later. Have 15 in the collection now and have had 48 total.

#30 2 years ago

I remember the moment i got hooked on pin repair. I bought CV as my first pin in really nice shape for a really nice price (in the eyes of the seller anyway). But i was afraid to tinker with it because it was expensive and i didnt know anything about them. I had a loose post from a stripped wood screw in the playfield. Just securing a plastic but it still bothered me. I eventually mustered up the courage to disassemble what i had to and made the repair and put it back together. Felt happy with that then changed some burnt out bulbs behind the ringmaster. Big deal… but these bastards were very difficult to get to which is why the prev owner never changed them. In retrospect dropping the ringmaster would of been easier. Baby steps…

So with that i went out and bought a dead F2K and brought that back to life, even swapped a playfield. I learned so much from doing that game, from troubleshooting to board work. All because of that stoopid loose playfield post.

#31 2 years ago

My neighbors got a Mata Hari SS for Christmas when I was 13. That was in 1982. I couldn't stay away. My parents bought a Meteor not long after that.

#32 2 years ago

Scared Stiff and Medieval Madness in the student union at Kansas State University. My wife got bored with bowling and wanted to play the pinball machines she heard in the arcade room. I was hooked.
    Took me 20 years to get the space and money for a Scared Stiff.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-specific-moment-you-were-hooked?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.