Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acespongetape.jpg

#1 11 years ago

How do I get a replacement for it? I'd be happy to cut my own but I don't even know what that material is... any ideas?

#3 11 years ago

You can also buy weather stripping you can cut at the hardware store and have enough for 100 games.

#4 11 years ago

YES YES YES YES! Thank You!

#5 11 years ago

Steve Young at the Pinball Resource has them too.

#6 11 years ago

I've bought mine from PBR in the past. I've tried a couple different vendors and his seemed to the the correct density and thickness. Not saying I tried everyone but Steve's seemed spot on.

#7 11 years ago

i get mine from pl but they are thick. not sure about pbr. can't stand ordering from their website. have to jump through hoops. it's like ordering from a sears catalog. major pain.

#8 11 years ago

I've noticed the density difference as well Taylor especially when i tried weather stripping. It compresses too easily and doesn't rebound very well.

#9 11 years ago

Are they supposed to be white or black?

I ordered a roll from Pinrestore and it was white but the ones I have in games are black...
    I assuemed they were all supposed to be black but PBL also pictures them in white.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

Are they supposed to be white or black?
    I ordered a roll from Pinrestore and it was white but the ones I have in games are black...
    I assuemed they were all supposed to be black but PBL also pictures them in white.

I don't see why the color would matter

#11 11 years ago

Get mine from Marco, they're gray and close cell foam. I've found on some machines, like my Baywatch, I have to cut them in half otherwise the don't compress enough to trigger the switch. But on my HSII I didn't have to use half of one, it worked just fine.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I don't see why the color would matter

You can see the foam at an angle with some targets, it stands out alot more in white especially if the other targets by it have black foam.

For example on TAF the Swamp Targets and Unle Fester Targets the foam is very visible and in white it doesn't look right at all in that game. If you just change 1 target there it looks very off and very obvious.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

You can see the foam at an angle with some targets, it stands out alot more in white especially if the other targets by it have black foam.
    For example on TAF the Swamp Targets and Unle Fester Targets the foam is very visible and in white it doesn't look right at all in that game. If you just change 1 target there it looks very off and very obvious.

OK that makes sense. You could color the sides with a black felt tip or something

#14 11 years ago

Cliffy should make these in different colors.

#15 11 years ago

I think PBR is grey. The less dense stuff can cause massive air balls which is why I started shopping around. I definetly tried some from Marco and it was too thin which also created air balls, not sure what they are selling now.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think PBR is grey. The less dense stuff can cause massive air balls which is why I started shopping around. I definetly tried some from Marco and it was too thin which also created air balls, not sure what they are selling now.

The are thick and gray closed cell, here.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6534-9

#17 11 years ago

That looks like the right stuff, the stuff I got from them was white before. I did want to make clear that I did not know what they were currently selling and I appreciate you looking it up.

#18 11 years ago

When I replaced all of the foam on my Baywatch a year or so ago I went the Home Depot/Lowes (can't remember where I got it) route. One thing I noticed is that the backing wasn't sticky enough and the little foam pieces that I cut fell off very easily. I ended up buying some Scotch double-sided tape and used it in conjunction with the foam weatherstripping. It worked out great because the width of the tape and the foam were the same and the tape's adhesive was much better. The process did take a couple hours to cut and fit everything properly though and it was very tedious.

#19 11 years ago

I used the foam tape from home depot.Its exactly the same as the tape that came on a drop target I bought from marco.Just take the old tape off and clean the residue with alcohol.its easy

1 year later
    #20 9 years ago

Sorry to bump an old topic but what weather stripping are people using? What thickness and density? I tried some that appeared to match the original and it didn't work too well.

#21 9 years ago

The gray weatherstrip at home depot.1/2 wide X 3/16 thick ,cut to size .Works perfect

#23 9 years ago

Ace Hardware super firm sponge tape behind the 1-6 targets in my Firepower. Works perfect, no more airballs, correct width, black foam.
    acespongetape.jpgacespongetape.jpg

#24 9 years ago

It's all the same stuff and works fine

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

t's all the same stuff and works fine

Not true. Some of the weatherstripping is to dense . I does not allow for normal strength hits to the target. Most are fine butI have found some,especially the black foams that do not work as well.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

It's all the same stuff and works fine

They sell different thicknesses. The current foam that I tried does not rebound as quickly and just sucks. Way too dense.

#27 9 years ago

This weather strip foam can also work as a beer seal for a lockdown bar.

11 months later
    #28 8 years ago

Sorry to bump this yet again....

Do you guys remove the STD targets from the P.F to easier change the foam ? Some of them are placed in tight places and I imagine bending them too much forward to replace foam could damage them leaving them leaning outward afterwards (?).

reg
    Matt

#29 8 years ago

Depends on the game. If you can't reasonably get to the back of the target in place, you probably have to take it out from under the playfield. Usually you can get to the back, but I imagine that's not always possible.

4 years later
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Ace Hardware super firm sponge tape behind the 1-6 targets in my Firepower. Works perfect, no more airballs, correct width, black foam.
    [quoted image]No way...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-self-adhesive-foam-stuff-on-the-back-of-stand-up-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.