3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 962 posts
  • 175 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by JohnnyPinball007
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 94 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

star trek (resized).png
    bitching (resized).jpg
    corvorado (resized).jpg
    This (resized).png
    DBECC1BA-0B77-4B51-A975-C8C4E1A25DD1 (resized).jpeg
    F5E723DA-67FC-4EEE-9B20-C689E4DDE971 (resized).jpeg
    robocookie (resized).png
    20190927_223351 (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    IMG_9409 (resized).JPG
    610A1F25-9CAB-4250-A38E-2143D124A7B1 (resized).jpeg
    8C145965-37F1-41F5-9756-8D8B6D168390 (resized).jpeg
    920x920 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    E2ECC003-D0A2-46F9-8261-7DC652F5FDB8 (resized).png
    DSCN6429 (resized).JPG

There are 962 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.
    #751 66 days ago

My pleasure! I've helped advise a few how to get around the evap code already with 100% results. I hate seeing that light on in my own vehicles though. But I'm rolling Toyotas so it rarely happens.

Some cover it with tape. Others put a picture of a loved one in front of it. And even others just let it glow until the bulb burns out.

#752 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My pleasure! I've helped advise a few how to get around the evap code already with 100% results. I hate seeing that light on in my own vehicles though. But I'm rolling Toyotas so it rarely happens.
    Some cover it with tape. Others put a picture of a loved one in front of it. And even others just let it glow until the bulb burns out.

The dash light is out now. I suppose they reset it. I just cancelled the repair. It's a month or so to the York show so we'll see what happens during that time.

My bitch is over. Thanks guys!

#753 66 days ago

One other tip. Unlike my early 2000s Toyotas which will not get the catalyst monitor ready without running a very specific drive cycle that you would never do in normal driving (that could be considered a bitch), Hondas usually get theirs ready fairly quick. But will not run the evap monitor unless the gas tank is 1/4 to 3/4 full I believe. So when you clear them just fill the tank and drive it around until all the other monitors are ready and get your smog.
    A cheap handheld scanner is all you need to do that.

#754 66 days ago

If you own a Hyundai or Kia that won't get the monitors ready, good luck with that!

#755 66 days ago

Jeez Odin you really know your shit. How long have you worked on cars?

#756 66 days ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

How long have you worked on cars?

Thanks

Since about 1980. Stopped doing repairs about 15 years ago and have been doing only smog tests since then. I call myself the smog king because I have probably done more of them than anybody else in California. No lie. Got my license in 1983 when the current program started. Not one citation in all that time.

#757 66 days ago

These turkeys need to get off my lawn.

F0EBCECE-86FB-4928-96CF-9BF8ACE82A40 (resized).jpeg
    #758 66 days ago

I used to be the carburetor king as well, rebuilding two or three in a day. But that is ancient history now and I have no idea what to do with all these special tools made for just that.

#759 66 days ago

I would like to bitch that O-din hasn't been rebuilding enough carbs lately.

Say....are beer carbs the same?

#760 66 days ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

These turkeys need to get off my lawn.[quoted image]

I wish he would stay out of my pond.

A0048A05-8E84-4381-88C8-4D858FB84FD4 (resized).jpeg
    #761 66 days ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Say....are beer carbs the same?

I don’t know, but if they are, I’d be a master technician. I’m working on a few right now

#762 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks
    Since about 1980. Stopped doing repairs about 15 years ago and have been doing only smog tests since then. I call myself the smog king because I have probably done more of them than anybody else in California. No lie. Got my license in 1983 when the current program started. Not one citation in all that time.

So people who cant pass smog come to you and you tell them what they have to do to pass? Do new California cars have more emission devices like they used to than other states? I thought Holley carbs were the easiest to rebuild.

#763 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I used to be the carburetor king as well, rebuilding two or three in a day. But that is ancient history now and I have no idea what to do with all these special tools made for just that.

And also the King Of Pinside.

#764 66 days ago

Since Monday was a holiday, my friendly next door leaf blower is going full blast right now. At least it wasn't 7 this morning or there would be hell to pay!

How toxic that shit is, is I have to run around the house and close all the windows as it's exhaust and dust is already getting inside.

Ban the leaf blower!!!!!!!!

#765 66 days ago

I don’t get the leaf blower thing. I rake the lawn in half the time as my neighbor with his stupid blower. I’m already sitting on the porch relaxing with my second beer before he’s done with the front yard chasing all the rogue leaves

#766 66 days ago

I just let that mofo have it! Blowing all that shit at my house. I told him don't come around here any more. I'm at the end of my rope with those assholes.

#767 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I just let that mofo have it! Blowing all that shit at my house. I told him don't come around here any more. I'm at the end of my rope with those assholes.

Around here the idiots blow the crap into the road and into storm drains and then when it rains the streets flood because the drainage system is clogged with leave/grass.

#768 66 days ago

Seriously I'm standing in the front yard and he is blowing a cloud of that crap right at me. And a huge cloud is enveloping my house before I lost my cool.

They are new though and it isn't first in the morning, so I had a little conversation with the guy that looks like he is in charge after I told the guy with the blower to get the fuck out of here and don't come back.
    Unknown (resized).jpg

#769 66 days ago

Apparently the one I was yelling at doesn't speak English which is probably why he just gave me a dumb look. I talked to the neighbors that hired them and they are indeed new.

Won't be coming first thing Monday morning like the last ones so that is good. Hope they got the idea not to blow in that planter again or I will blow a fuse.

#770 65 days ago

Oh and my college educated niece informed me today I was being racist when I mentioned a Mexican gentleman that helped me at Home Depot had been there for 30 years. Apparently it is now racist to call people from that country that.

She went on to inform me that I am white, something I was seriously offended by.

Would going to college in Oregon have anything to do with that?

#771 65 days ago

C7C28D57-6743-4BCF-9F70-963940124F03 (resized).jpeg
    #772 65 days ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

So people who cant pass smog come to you and you tell them what they have to do to pass? Do new California cars have more emission devices like they used to than other states? I thought Holley carbs were the easiest to rebuild.

Sorry I got a little sidetracked, but it has been quite a day. Got my blood pressure back up to normal though.

If they fail, I tell them why it failed and sometimes what it might be, but we are test only so we do no diagnosis or repairs and are not allowed to tell them where to go to fix it. A lot of politics are involved, some that make sense and others they should have really spent more time thinking about. If it is monitors not ready, we will check it as many times as it takes before the retest at no charge.

New cars are almost all basically the same and most even from other states have a California label already under the hood. In the old days there were differences mostly on trucks.

Holleak is what we called those carbs, but it was probably the old Ford 2 barrel that was the easiest. Hardest were Hondas and those basically became throw it in the trash and get a new one. Then it became don't go near it with a ten foot pole. We aint marrying the thing.

#773 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sorry I got a little sidetracked, but it has been quite a day. Got my blood pressure back up to normal though.
    If they fail, I tell them why it failed and sometimes what it might be, but we are test only so we do no diagnosis or repairs and are not allowed to tell them where to go to fix it. A lot of politics are involved, some that make sense and others they should have really spent more time thinking about. If it is monitors not ready, we will check it as many times as it takes before the retest at no charge.
    New cars are almost all basically the same and most even from other states have a California label already under the hood. In the old days there were differences mostly on trucks.
    Holleak is what we called those carbs, but it was probably the old Ford 2 barrel that was the easiest. Hardest were Hondas and those basically became throw it in the trash and get a new one. Then it became don't go near it with a ten foot pole. We aint marrying the thing.

I know you have had the thought of giving that guy a weed eater suppository but don't do it.

#774 65 days ago

Although they should all have those blowers rammed up their asses at full throttle, I do like the fact that now they will be coming in the afternoon on a day when I am home so I can monitor their crap.

If you go back to page one, this is what started this whole thread. And those that have been bitching that I haven't been bitching enough, finally can be at ease.

#775 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yeah ,your right. The ford carb was easier. That was a Autolite I believe. I had one on my 69 Cougar.

#776 65 days ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Yeah ,your right. The ford carb was easier. That was a Autolite I believe. I had one on my 69 Cougar.

Rochester one barrel is fairly simple too. Or any carb prior to the 80s. I was one of the only ones in the area that would do a Ford Variable Venturi, but it is fairly simple. It is the dialing it in that took practice and skill.

#777 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I do like the fact that now they will be coming in the afternoon on a day when I am home so I can monitor their crap.

I am center of dead end with large lots and acreage, and empty nesters on either side that pay me to keep their place up, so I am very lucky with all that.

#778 65 days ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am center of dead end with large lots and acreage, and empty nesters on either side that pay me to keep their place up, so I am very lucky with all that.

Yes you are.

It is a little disheartening after I do all my own yard work, sweep up the mess, then go around and wash down all the windows, patio, and walkways, then they blow a fn dust storm over here. From every side. If I leave my windows open and go out, then the whole inside of the house that I also clean is wrecked.

The waking me up is a whole nuther issue.

They obviously go above any allowed decibel limit and make as much exhaust pollution as any car from the 1960s, so I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before a full scale ban on at least the gas powered ones goes into effect. Hopefully sooner than later.

#779 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

then they blow a fn dust storm over here. From every side.

Is there any way you could build a tall wood fence to keep most of that out of your yard and house?

#780 65 days ago

Is there any way you could build a tall wood fence to keep most of that out of your yard and house?

I've got a block wall as high as it can go. Doesn't do any good as these are massive dust storms. All they have to do is hit one planter that has been tilled and it's dustbowl city like this afternoon and of course they point those things away from the property they are working on. Not to mention my garage where a lot of my games are.

It's a vicious circle. They blow the crap back and forth from property to property. And if you just washed your car there will be three or four of them blowing up clouds in the street at cars as they go by on any trip to the grocery store. I've had at a couple of those clowns already. Not much in life bothers me, but it is now beyond ridiculous. Never needed them back in the day, so why now?

#781 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Never needed them back in the day, so why now?

My guess is either lazy assholes that do not want to do yardwork, or maybe older people that can not do their own yardwork.

If you was referring to "them" as leaf blowers, yeah that is also lazy in a way.

How high is your block wall?

#782 65 days ago

20 Tupperware containers, 50 lids, and not a fucking match among them.

I just cleared the decks, recycled the lot of them and replaced with a uniform set, all round and only three sizes.

How long before I’m back where I started?

#783 65 days ago

Wall is over 6 feet.

But yeah, when I was a kid everybody did their own yards or paid one of the neighbor kids to do it. My dad made an event out of it every Saturday.Now I'm the only one left on my street I think and gardening service is big business every day, 365 years a day as weather permits that around here.

I know they are out there working hard driving beat up trucks and I fully respect that, but over the years they now use those blowers without any consideration at all to who or what they might be disturbing. And there's more them everyday.

They act like it's normal behavior now because the powers that be never put up any fight. And those that hire them, which is probably 95% of homeowners now aren't going to care either.

One other thing is I can't leave any windows open when I go to work or even out sometimes to try to keep the house cool, so I come home to an oven that takes most of the evening to cool down.

#784 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now I'm the only one left on my street I think

Hell, if you still take care of your own, why not undercut the assholes that tick you off and also take care of the yards around you. Win-Win, you make extra money and don't have to put up anymore with crap you hate!

#785 65 days ago

Hell, if you still take care of your own, why not undercut the assholes that tick you off and also take care of the yards around you. Win-Win, you make extra money and don't have to put up anymore with crap you hate!

I actually used to do the one across the street too, but I have a hard enough time getting to my own, and there is no winning a battle that was lost decades ago.

I'm hoping the tree huggers will come to the rescue on this one.

#786 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

there is no winning a battle that was lost decades ago.

Sorry man, I did not realize it went that far back.

I love reading your bitchin', keep it up.

How about some revenge though... get yourself a big ass blower and when the yard people come around blasting crap your way, have one better putting it right back on their ass!

#787 65 days ago

If you can't beat em join em huh? I'd rather just be able to ignore them. But they make that quite difficult.

#788 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you can't beat em join em

YES! Get some revenge, I would.

#789 65 days ago

YES! Get some revenge, I would.

My tough guy redneck like rant didn't seem to phase him, so if he didn't get the message, it might be time to go to a plan B.

#790 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

go to a plan B

Go to whatever plan to blow dust back on them to see how they like it.

#791 65 days ago

A bag of flour or better corn flour in a blower and just hose it on the neighbours lawn after they have finished? Blower/vac full of leaves on blow after they leave?

#792 65 days ago
    Quoted from punkin:

just hose it on the neighbours lawn after they have finished

I think more like he is not pissed at his neighbors, but instead the yard people they hire. I think hose the yard people with what you are talking about.

Am I right o-din? If mad at neighbors also, round up could work some wonders.

#793 65 days ago

I think more like he is not pissed at his neighbors, but instead the yard people they hire. I think hose the yard people with what you are talking about.
    Am I right o-din? If mad at neighbors also, round up could work some wonders.

Neighbors are oblivious. It's not their fault.

The fault is it has become standard procedure and there aren't enough left that don't use them to do anything about it.

Probably everybody at city hall now hires a gardening service too, so they wouldn't care either.

#794 65 days ago

I understand, was just thinking if explanation didn't work then having the neighbours that hired them pissed off because the job looks like shit after they left may boil down to a resolution. Not my problem though, i live in a warehouse and don't have a yard or neighbours with yards..

#795 65 days ago

If I was in Australia, I wouldn't have this problem. I know the people there would not let them get away with this BS, and certainly it would have never gotten completely out of hand like it has now.

Problem is USA has been whipped into submission on matters like these. Especially California. But on the other hand Ca. has plenty of people that like to put an end to certain things, so all is not lost yet.

#796 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Neighbors are oblivious. It's not their fault.
    The fault is it has become standard procedure and there aren't enough left that don't use them to do anything about it.
    Probably everybody at city hall now hires a gardening service too, so they wouldn't care either.

That is why I would have my own high power blower, to blow the crap right back on the idiot workers that are pissing you off in the first place. Enough dust coming back in their face they may or may not learn to not point any leaf blowers toward your house.

#797 65 days ago

I just drove to 7/11 and back and every house along the way has a well manicured yard, the streets and sidewalks are clean, and there are no leaves on the ground in sight.

What's wrong with this picture?

#798 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What's wrong with this picture?

The fact you was out driving instead of being at home playing pins and bitching about something on pinside.

#799 65 days ago

Fucking spewing rather than bitching. missed out on two really unusual pins this week because i was a couple hours late replying to an ad. One was an ad on AA from January this year in the for sale section for a really unusual one that i just hadn't got that far searching back.

Both were 'under offer' when i replied, one i really want now.

#800 65 days ago

The fact you was out driving instead of being at home playing pins and bitching about something on pinside.

7/11 has a few things that help fuel my fire.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Forever
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 179.99
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 962 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside