EF8EE08E-5644-4002-B932-ECF4A8A8A79F (resized).jpeg
Grand_Funk_(album_cover) (resized).jpg
ac dc (resized).jpg
meatloaf (resized).jpg
seger (resized).jpg
images.jpeg-15 (resized).jpg
images.jpeg-16 (resized).jpg
zz (resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Class of ‘87. The 80s punk scene in Chicago was pretty great with lots of all-ages shows in clubs for hopped up teenagers like me and my buddies. Naked Raygun was OUR band because they were local boys and played all the time. The good: They recently made a comeback and released a new album last year that’s really damn good. The bad: The OG bass player died of cancer two years ago and the lead singer has Parkinson’s. The last time I saw them the bass player was recovering from a stroke (pre-cancer), I don’t know if he was even plugged in, and the singers tremors were obvious and that was both a gut punch and inspiring that they were still getting after it. I’m not alone as they were the band that Dave Grohl saw back in the 80s that he credits turning him on to punk (good chance I was also at that show) and he had them open for the Foo Fighters at Wrigley Field in front of 40,000 people which is across the street from the club they played all the time.

#52 2 years ago

Class of ‘96. Still love the BEASTIE Boys.

#53 2 years ago

High school class 85.
Still listening to: The Who, U2, Rush, The Clash.

#54 2 years ago

One band from high school? Tough call.

Iron Maiden was probably my all time favorite band from 1981-1987.

I cannot think of any bands I listened to in high school where I can say I love all of their work. Bands I was listening to in high school (84-87 years) include the typical metal staples Ozzy, Sabbath, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer (which was a surreal experience in the early to mid 80s). I would say that Slayer was the most consistent of the "big 4", but again they were not perfect and have had a few mediocre albums since their emergence in the early 1980's. Iron Maiden's sound changed quite a bit from 1981-1987, but that Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave phase was awesome. (Powerslave was the only album of that trilogy that came out when I was in high school)

If I had to pick the *albums* released in the 84-87 timeframe that have probably gotten the most play since buying them during my high school days (in no particular order)

Iron Maiden:
Powerslave (the album cover had so many Easter eggs-Derek Riggs rules)

Slayer:
Reign in Blood (flip the cassette over for endless looping!)
Hell Awaits (this album cover actually intimidated me when it came out-it just looked scary)

Metallica:
Ride The Lightning (Creeping Death inspired my pinball initials DIE)
Master of Puppets (amazing stuff. The opening 4 notes on the title song are instantly recognizable)

Megadeth:
Peace Sells But Who's Buying (Loved the album cover and title song. The cover reminds me of the 2 Minutes to Midnight picture disc I had.

Anthrax:
Among the Living (great riffs. Honestly had never heard the word "mosh" before this album). Funny thing is my mom *hates* this tour shirt. Never mind all the skulls, inverted crosses, skeletons and pentagrams on all the other tour shirts, Randall Flagg creeps her out. (I love my mom, so I don't wear that shirt around her).

There are a ton of great albums in this timeframe from so many bands, Death, Kreator, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, Venom and on and on.

Fun topic.

#55 2 years ago

My first year of high school I saw Van Halen for my 4th and final time. I had seen Rush a couple of times by then too, and they were emerging as my favorite live band. Also, I was doing a deep dive into Led Zeppelin and had their entire catalog.

By the time I graduated I was listening to a lot of thrash and punk: Metallica's first two albums, Megadeth's first, Motorhead, Misfits, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc.

I still listen to all of it, and much more now: blues, jazz, classical, Americana, and bluegrass. If you can play, bring it. I’ll listen.

#56 2 years ago

AC/DC and The Angels

#57 2 years ago

Chuck Wagon and the Wheels, great local band cut at least one album. One song was “My Girlfriend Fell Asleep in her Supper” Played our afterprom and several school events.

#58 2 years ago

Late 80’s, The Big 4! Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, & Anthrax. I’d also add Testament and in the 90’s Pantera killed everyone!

#59 2 years ago

Graduated in 78, Kiss 4 times in the 70s , Journey 3 times. Still listen to Journey today, Kiss,,,,

#60 2 years ago

38 Special - Wild Eye Southern Boy. Great album.

#61 2 years ago

Graduating in 1973 I never tire of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Graduated in 93 and I still listen to damn near everything that I listened to back in those days.

Same.

#63 2 years ago

High school 1994 wouldn’t of been high school without U2
Achtung Baby always has Its own playlist spot.
Can’t believe how hey haven’t gotten a pin yet. They’d sell tons of them and they’re list of tracks and themes could make for a fantastic pin.

EF8EE08E-5644-4002-B932-ECF4A8A8A79F (resized).jpegEF8EE08E-5644-4002-B932-ECF4A8A8A79F (resized).jpeg
#64 2 years ago

I was class of 1998. A few stick out to me that came out when I was in high school and that I still listen to pretty regularly.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Offspring - Smash (I still remember a friend of mine telling me his mom broke his CD when she overhead the song Bad Habit)

Green Day - Dookie

TSP (resized).pngTSP (resized).pngoffspring (resized).pngoffspring (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#65 2 years ago

Class of 1975. Bad Company:Straight Shooter. That Bad Company,Straight Shooter, & Running With The Pack (74-76) period was some good rock n roll. From a band that is at times overlooked when they talk about great bands of the era. Great memories listening to WDVE FM back in the day.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Class of 1975. Bad Company:Straight Shooter. That Bad Company,Straight Shooter, & Running With The Pack (74-76) period was some good rock n roll. From a band that is at times overlooked when they talk about great bands of the era. Great memories listening to WDVE FM back in the day.

I played straight shooter repeatedly when it came out in my High School years.Good Call

#67 2 years ago

Joe Satriani

#68 2 years ago

I was a sophomore in high school and heard Bohemian Rhapsody on the radio one day, I never thought music could sound like that.

#69 2 years ago

R
....U
........S
............H

... has been my best-loved band ever since I was a freshman in 1976. Stuck with them through thick and thin (and synths), and their last album, Clockwork Angels (2012) is one of my favorites. There isn’t a single song in their entire catalog that I dislike.

What other band was so long-lived and prolific and yet never released a true stinker? I can't think of any, but I can sure think of examples of other bands releasing steaming piles later in their careers! (Love Island, anyone?)

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

R
....U
........S
............H
... has been my best-loved band ever since I was a freshman in 1976. Stuck with them through thick and thin (and synths), and their last album, Clockwork Angels (2012) is one of my favorites. There isn’t a single song in their entire catalog that I dislike.
What other band was so long-lived and prolific and yet never released a true stinker? I can't think of any, but I can sure think of examples of other bands releasing steaming piles later in their careers! (Love Island, anyone?)

Motorhead
ACDC
Ramones

Never gave into the trends. Never quad tracked Keyboards and cheesy samples in the 80s. Never donned hairspray and pink leather. Just churned out quality albums year after year after year.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-one-band-you-went-to-high-school-with-that-you-still-love/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.