B6CE5723-EC5D-4754-9160-7E91D5D2FD7A (resized).jpeg
KindOfABigDeal.jpg
face palm group.gif
lucy1 (resized).jpg
thats-all-folks_163.gif
dangling carrot.gif
Screen-Shot-2018-12-14-at-8.11.05-AM (resized).png
fudgie1 (resized).jpg
There are 423 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Oh, a cosmic princess, they come up for sale quite often in Australia, not really that special over here.

Keep your eyes pealed. Looking for a nice condition one (since I would have to ship).
Happy to pay a finders fee for an assist.

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Keep your eyes pealed. Looking for a nice condition one (since I would have to ship).

You could try joining this forum and posting an ad here:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/trading-forum/wanted/wanted-pinball

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There’s one on Facebook marketplace in Perth WA.
I’ll pm a link. Let me know if you have trouble making contact and I’ll help out.
No finders fee necessary.

#404 4 years ago

You gotta love pinside. Whysnow was worried to share the whale in fear it would get stolen out from under him, and now that the cats out of the bag people are actually trying to help him get it. I love it!!

#405 4 years ago

Oops,

Thought this was a swingers thread.

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’ll pm a link. Let me know if you have trouble making contact and I’ll help out.

Thanks for the lead. I been looking to get one since around 8 hours ago.

#407 4 years ago

Have you played this game before?

I have not, but just checked it out online. At first glance it looks good, with nice art, 2 spinners and a 5-bank of drops... but after looking at it a while, I'm seeing that's *all* there is to shoot for, except maybe a straight up shot into the "2" lane? Half the shootable area of the playfield are pops, looks almost as bad as Bally Lost World, and that was a snoozer. The bonus collect saucer can only be hit with a lucky pop rebound?

I think you got lucky missing this whale. Spinners are fun but needs more...

#408 4 years ago

So here is a question...and I know there is not an exact answer and depends on the individual...what constitutes a pin being a “whale”? I am glad and appreciative that the OP finally let the cat out of the bag, but to be honest, I was disappointed and was expecting something “bigger”. Cosmic Princess is definitely not an easy title to find in the US due to it being made in Australia and having lower production numbers, but a whale? Maybe whales are regional...maybe Cosmic Princess is a US whale? Maybe a whale is simply a pin that someone for whatever reason had a difficult time acquiring and had nothing to do with production numbers but just long eluded them?

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

So here is a question...and I know there is not an exact answer and depends on the individual...what constitutes a pin being a “whale”? I am glad and appreciative that the OP finally let the cat out of the bag, but to be honest, I was disappointed and was expecting something “bigger”. Cosmic Princess is definitely not an easy title to find in the US due to it being made in Australia and having lower production numbers, but a whale? Maybe whales are regional...maybe Cosmic Princess is a US whale? Maybe a whale is simply a pin that someone for whatever reason had a difficult time acquiring and had nothing to do with production numbers but just long eluded them?

It’s because he has a collection of pins coming out his ass, and if he doesn’t own it now, he has in the past. This one is like a quest to get. But then again I could be wrong

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I have not, but just checked it out online. At first glance it looks good, with nice art, 2 spinners and a 5-bank of drops... but after looking at it a while, I'm seeing that's *all* there is to shoot for, except maybe a straight up shot into the "2" lane? Half the shootable area of the playfield are pops, looks almost as bad as Bally Lost World, and that was a snoozer. The bonus collect saucer can only be hit with a lucky pop rebound?

It's not always about the game play. Sometimes it's just the hunt. Finding that game you never see. Rubbing it in the face of those who want it and cant get it....not my style personally, but some people get sick pleasure from doing it.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

It's not always about the game play. Sometimes it's just the hunt. Finding that game you never see. Rubbing it in the face of those who want it and cant get it....not my style personally, but some people get sick pleasure from doing it.

You have a very strange view on the world and pinball world in particular.

IME, Most guys that collect rare and oddball games seem to be more focused on sharing and restoring them than the avg pinhead.

I personally like oddballs because I route games and share my collection w friends and even strangers. It is fun to have something new and odd or super nice for people to play.

#412 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Whale for me is usually something I have been hunting for a while.

Could be a title, condition, price, or combination of them all.

I passed on four different cosmic gunfights over a 3+ year period before finally finding the right one from the right seller at the right price and condition.

That was a whale for me.

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Cosmic Princess is a fun game. You choose whether to go for drops for bonus X or spinners. Depends on the game, and how it’s playing.

There was one in INDISC Classics this year. You can see gameplay from that on Never Drains.

Like any classic - how good it is depends on how it’s set up. Guys give Lost World a bad rap, but it’s been used in IFPA World Chanps and I have used it for Pincade Classics for a few years running. I remove the captive ball so you can’t get extra balls. It’s challenging to get all 5 targets for max bonus. If you shoot the holes, 50/50 it’s coming back towards the middle.

All in the setup.

rd

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Hey hey hey Lost World is a great game , first game I ever owned . You should come play mine some time , it’s fun .

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You have a very strange view on the world and pinball world in particular.
IME, Most guys that collect rare and oddball games seem to be more focused on sharing and restoring them than the avg pinhead.
I personally like oddballs because I route games and share my collection w friends and even strangers. It is fun to have something new and odd or super nice for people to play.

Thank you for the compliment...I think.

After dealing with arcade equipment, for to many years, you see all types. I've sold games to people who then came back to my store to brag how much they made reselling it. I had others have me come to their homes to sell me games only to never give me prices because they were more interested in showing off the games and not really wanting to sell.

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It’s a fun game. You choose whether to go for drops for bonus X or spinners. Depends on the game.
There was one in INDISC Classics this year. You can see gameplay from that on Never Drains. ..... Like any classic - how good it is depends on how it’s set up.
rd

Definitely agree on setup, any game can be made challenging. I just prefer games with a little more to shoot for. I do own a few "center pop cluster" games like Big Game and Dracula, but they have more to shoot for on the sides of the playfield, and they cost $600 and $400 respectively. OTOH as pretty as it was, I sold Cirqus Voltaire after realizing I only ever aimed for the left orbit, ramp and ringmaster. No real reason to shoot anything else except for lit jackpots. Also used to have a hardon for EBD, but after a while I started to dislike having to avoid the entire playfield center for the entire game.

Any whale of mine will need to have more than 4 shots

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Hey hey hey Lost World is a great game , first game I ever owned . You should come play mine some time , it’s fun .

Yea will have to check out a good LW again, been a while. Everyone has their cheapo faves.. people give me crap for liking Stern Dracula, but to me it's a great EM that just happens to be electronic.. 2 specials to go for, asymmetric playfield, great game IMHO but most think it sucks

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Could you just post the link here?

1 week later
#419 4 years ago

And a whale of a restoration begins!

89C2C7A1-F919-4920-B0CE-7AC4F313DBE5 (resized).jpeg89C2C7A1-F919-4920-B0CE-7AC4F313DBE5 (resized).jpeg
#420 4 years ago

Just noticed the spacecraft in the outlanes looks like a Saturday morning cartoon version of Serenity. Great project!

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Definitely agree on setup, any game can be made challenging. I just prefer games with a little more to shoot for. I do own a few "center pop cluster" games like Big Game and Dracula, but they have more to shoot for on the sides of the playfield, and they cost $600 and $400 respectively. OTOH as pretty as it was, I sold Cirqus Voltaire after realizing I only ever aimed for the left orbit, ramp and ringmaster. No real reason to shoot anything else except for lit jackpots. Also used to have a hardon for EBD, but after a while I started to dislike having to avoid the entire playfield center for the entire game.
Any whale of mine will need to have more than 4 shots

This was the same reason I sold ToM as I was only shooting the left orbit for max bonus X.

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

And a whale of a restoration begins!

Where's the thread Trilogybeer? Where's the thread?!

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Where's the thread Trilogybeer? Where's the thread?!

Yeah I might start one when I get a bit further in . I do want to show the cabinet restoration once we get going on those .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 423 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/that-feeling-when-you-land-a-whale-but-can-t-share-the-details-yet/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.