Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Scottflips
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3008 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I was going to post this a little message later when I finished my Gottlieb Airport restoration as Vic sent me a Pinside message a few months ago of a very very very rare occurance, a Craigslist listing for an original Gottlieb Airport backglass for sale (which is a game you almost never see complete or in parts, but also not very desirable so parts are even harder to find, not a good mix) - I went there and bought it and the guy said he had bought it, just the backglass, at an auction in 1984 (or was it 1982?) and it hasn't seen the light of day since that year when he put it in his basement storage completely in the dark. That was very bizarre to me because thinking of buying something that hasn't seen the light of day for 33-35 years is very strange, thinking of all that has changed since then and how it missed it all. Yes, it's just a piece of glass but weird to think about. It survived in pretty miraculous condition given the circumstances. The seller was absolutely thrilled and shocked to hear it was going back into a real Gottlieb Airport machine, he was just a layman (think he might of had one machine though) so he just figured they would be wall art, he was so surprised I will never forget that. "Oh wow, oh wow" with a big hearty grin on his face, a kind older gentleman. Really made me feel good.

Vic definitely helped me out there and it will look great in my restored Gottlieb Airport machine when I am done with it, it is a big upgrade from my previous backglass - I wasn't even seeking it out, Vic just knew the condition of my glass from seeing the machine in person.

Anyways, the reason I am posting this now is because I just discovered there was an issue with my e-mail account and that it had been filtering out Vic's messages to me and I just discovered them all - he had been sending me a nice handful of meetup invites and Craigslist notices of games I either wanted or games he thought I might like for prices I could afford easily. I feel very bad my e-mail account made me miss this (especially because he was spot on with a lot of great deals!) but I am happy I am aware now so I can look forward to them in the future.

Vic has been very helpful and a terrific kind friend since I met him and I am very grateful to have friends like him in the hobby. I really appreciate it.

Steven

IMG_3008 (resized).JPGIMG_3008 (resized).JPG

(Vic visiting my gameroom in October of 2016)

#2 7 years ago

Vic is a fixture in our hobby, it wouldnt be the same with out him. Where else can you see 30 wedgeheads in a basement.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Vic is a fixture in our hobby, it wouldnt be the same with out him. Where else can you see 30 wedgeheads in a basement.

I agree. He is very passionate about the hobby too, his games are factory original immaculate and there is nobody else so picky about his pop bumpers! (Meaning, all of his games play GREAT)

Recently found his pinball owners page and was blown away at all the great information and stories he has shared there for each machine, makes me feel less bad about always typing so much myself! http://www.pinballowners.com/campgames

Last but not least he even sold his cherry Gottlieb Royal Guard to a brand new collector overseas and made 35 (yes 35) videos on maintaining the machine for the man who got it, covering every single aspect of maintaining it, setting it up, and other tips for owning the/a machine. What a guy! (The videos are here with many other great ones too including a tour of my own gameroom: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1KO137wpu6iiZVaMXjH_YQ/videos)

I am really looking forward to the next time I get to visit his collection and home, I think it has been about over a year and a half now since I have been there. (Feels way too long, definitely keeping my eye out even more on being invited now) Feel lucky to live in the area, always a good time to be had I'm sure.

I am thankful for many people in the hobby, you yourself have helped me out of a jam multiple times Ken. A prime example for this thread is remembering when I brought my Domino to Pinfest and it went down on setup day and I also had legs that were too short on it, you had a spare pair of 31" legs and Vic brought some score motor switch blades to help get the game looking right and going for all to enjoy over the weekend.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Anyways, the reason I am posting this now is because I just discovered there was an issue with my e-mail account and that it had been filtering out Vic's messages

C'mon. You know you were purposely blocking Vic. I know I am. He can be a real pain. Thinks about nothing but pinball all the time!!!

#5 7 years ago

Along with me, Vic is among the best in the hobby.

Still waiting since August for my emails from him about Thursday night get-togethers (cough, cough)...and he's NOT in my junk mail.

#6 7 years ago

You just reminded me I need to update my email with Vic. I brought a Top Score from him years ago with a really rough playfield, just shot. About a year after that I got a message from him with contact info on a guy that could bring a POPULATED playfield to the Allentown show at a great price! People wonder how he came to own so many great games in such awesome shape? Paying it forward probably had something to do with it...

#7 7 years ago

Showed up at Vic's last summer for the first time. Had a great time. Vic and the other pinheads were so welcoming, I felt as if I had been there before.

If it wasn't for Vic's GTB Domino review, I'm not sure I would have bought one. He almost convinced me to buy it the way he reviewed it. Vic's the man!

4 years later
    #8 2 years ago

To resurrect this thread.......

I wanted to give a shout out to Vic.

I can't being to thank him enough for his generosity, kindness and mentorship in this hobby. His knowledge and attention to detail is second to none. He's gone above and beyond, at least for me, and I know for others.

If it weren't for Vic, I'd probably have one pin in my basement, in need of repair, instead of the 25 or so in (mostly) perfect working order. I also would not have met and gotten to know so many great people in this hobby. He's been and continues to be a true friend.

#9 2 years ago

Vic's a legend. His collection is legendary.

#10 2 years ago

I haven’t ever met him but read all of his reviews! He is the EM master IMO. Would love to meet him and hang sometime

#11 2 years ago

Vic has the ultimate Wedgehead collection. Was very helpful when I was looking to get back into EM's.

#12 2 years ago

When I bought my first (and so far only) bingo game, Vic came to the rescue with a part I needed. We’ve talked on the phone a few times, and he’s given many tips on fine-tuning and playing my EM games. Vis is a true gentleman and keeper of the pinball flame.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thanks-to-vic-camp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.