Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e2ec2873e4c7ffea9e7cdc2a75974a1c.jpg
    image-20.jpg
    image-630.jpg
    image.jpg
    opmax red.jpg
    opmax white.jpg
    opmaxvsfrosted2.jpg
    interrogation123.png
    #1 10 years ago

Well...... now that my ACDC prem is into the gameroom along with the Met pro, the wife has announced "Why havent you bought LED's for the rest of your/OUR games?" and "They look dull compared to the ACDC, so change them out" and last but not least, the bombshell....... "Go ahead and get what you need to make them all look like the acdc"

14 games in line for leds.......... Now my wallet gently weeps...........

So with that said, which LED lights are best for GI lighting ? Which supplier? Not going with all the colors, just bright white or cool white, dont care if they have or have no dome, just want my plastics to pop, dark areas to be lit and all my games looking like acdc.

TIA
    Dubbbs

#2 10 years ago

What is a 'bastage'?

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tomcat:

What is a 'bastage'?

It's like a farging icehole.

#4 10 years ago

If it were me and that many games...bulk discount Cointaker frosted LEDs 100/$69 + Pinside discount. Make sure to check the base styles (44/47 or 555) on your games. Warm white is my personal preference, and I use them as my "default LED" when I am not being picky about color or look.

#5 10 years ago

Before this dude goes off with a 200 post thread on what to use for LEDs... there are about 50 other 200 post threads already out there debating everything from light color, to reliability, to their aftertaste, to whether or not they lead to better health care. You're better off reading those threads all at once so you can get your orders in than you are waiting around a week for this debate to happen again.

#6 10 years ago

We have ways of making you talk interrogation123.pnginterrogation123.png

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Before this dude goes off with a 200 post thread on what to use for LEDs... there are about 50 other 200 post threads already out there debating everything from light color, to reliability, to their aftertaste, to whether or not they lead to better health care. You're better off reading those threads all at once so you can get your orders in than you are waiting around a week for this debate to happen again.

Sorry guy but this is Pinside and LED threads will pop up every other day. Several topics are rehashed daily and it is all about pinball and the community. If someone has a question they should be able to ask without being questioned. Yes you could go through forum archive topics and probably answer any question you may have or you can simply ask.

That being said, I prefer Coin-Taker. You may want to order a couple hundred various colors in 44, 555, and a few 89's. Then experiment with colors on your different titles.

#8 10 years ago

You should be able to head to the local Walmart...Christmas stuff is out now. Just wrap the game is some goofy flashing lights and call it a day.

#9 10 years ago

Cheaper solution: replace AC/DC's playfield glass with smoked plexiglass.

#10 10 years ago

Better yet just up the wattage in the room lighting, a couple of hundred watt floods should do the trick.

#11 10 years ago

I wouldn't LED most of those games. LED a Space Shuttle? Power Play? AFM might look decent but its not worth the time or the money especially in the classics. Leave that poor Radical! alone.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Well...... now that my ACDC prem is into the gameroom along with the Met pro, the wife has announced "Why havent you bought LED's for the rest of your/OUR games?" and "They look dull compared to the ACDC, so change them out" and last but not least, the bombshell....... "Go ahead and get what you need to make them all look like the acdc"
    14 games in line for leds.......... Now my wallet gently weeps...........
    So with that said, which LED lights are best for GI lighting ? Which supplier? Not going with all the colors, just bright white or cool white, dont care if they have or have no dome, just want my plastics to pop, dark areas to be lit and all my games looking like acdc.
    TIA
    Dubbbs

Cointaker frosteds for most of the GI John. Although they do have a 44/47 base clear bulb called a "retro" which is really close to the old bulbs. You can do some neat stuff with the color frosted bulbs though. I really did a number on Elvis with using the pink in those parts of the playfield where the red was prevalent etc. And the frosted bulbs won't give you that direct glare into your eyes if you look at it from the wrong angle.

#13 10 years ago

Cometpinball.com is Olpinguy/Art on the forums here, and he has great bulk prices. I'm going to be testing out his new retro bulbs next week since I have access to an EM and he doesn't. He's trying to get the closest to an incandescent bulbs, which I thought might interest you for your older machines.

#14 10 years ago

Here's my take on the current LED market... It has come a LONG way. There used to be 2 options. Those two options did not work well in many games. A lot of people that gave LEDs a try about 4 or 5 years ago, hated the results and wrote them off as "a crappy look".

Now, suppliers of LED products have 15 different types and have worked out almost all the compatibility issues between manufacturers. Sure, there are still those games that just look awful with LEDs. But now there are very good choices for LEDing modern Sterns, mid-late 80's games and even some 90's games. A lot of pins (like EBD) will just never look right with LEDs IMHO.

I wouldn't typically choose to fully LED any game made before 1987. In all honesty, I only have all playfield LED's in my 3 Data East Games. DE/SEGA/STERN uses inserts and a power train that are perfectly suited for just about any chosen LEDs. Many 90's Williams/Bally games still refuse to feel right to me with any types of LED's in them.

#15 10 years ago

It would be nice to know how those retro bulbs look.

Quoted from blondetall:

Cometpinball.com is Olpinguy/Art on the forums here, and he has great bulk prices. I'm going to be testing out his new retro bulbs next week since I have access to an EM and he doesn't. He's trying to get the closest to an incandescent bulbs, which I thought might interest you for your older machines.

#16 10 years ago

Count me among the coverted. A few years ago, I hated LEDs. Last night, though, I was installing CT warm white frosteds in my Dirty Harry's hard-to-reach GI. The light spread is just as good as incandescent, color is a little off but not enough to matter. They are a little brighter, which is good. I still think bad LED conversions outnumber good ones, but that isn't LED technology's fault.

#17 10 years ago

Pinballlife the more you order you get a quinity discount

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cruzin1a:

I don't know about the other manufacturer, but CT's retros are identical to the factory incandecent color except just a hair brighter.

#19 10 years ago

Id be happy to offer personal help.

You'll find we have 6 bulbs for GI lighting not found elsewhere.
    They are all an amazing improvement in GI lighting.

From our Op-Max, to 4/4 low profile, to Crystal Fan.....there are great GI bulbs to fix the needs that have been asked about on threads.

More Pics coming, and videos from customers as well, but here is a GI shot to see:

Art

www.cometpinball.com

Quoted from Cruzin1a:

Coming soon!

opmax red.jpgopmax red.jpg opmax white.jpgopmax white.jpg opmaxvsfrosted2.jpgopmaxvsfrosted2.jpg
    #20 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

From our Op-Max, to 4/4 low profile, to Crystal Fan.....there are great GI bulbs to fix the needs that have been asked about on threads.
    More Pics coming, and videos from customers as well, but here is a GI shot to see:
    Art
    http://www.cometpinball.com

Coming soon!

opmaxvsfrosted2.jpg 203 KB

opmax white.jpg 434 KB

opmax red.jpg 571 KB

OMG MY EYES!

Did you take the plastic off in the Optimus Maximum white picture?

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

To me this stuff looks totally blown out, not well lit. Maybe that's just a problem with the photography, though.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

But that's because he's different and special.. his wife says it's OK so all previous discussions are moot.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

To me this stuff looks totally blown out, not well lit. Maybe that's just a problem with the photography, though.

I've learned that pictures of LEDs (or any lighting, for that matter) look totally different than what you see in person. I tried to take a picture of a #44 bulb with red condom, and it was impossible to get the picture to match what I was seeing.

#24 10 years ago

Just to show versatility (because I haven't used the Optimus Maximus that I got to test out in the GI, just spotlights) here's the OpMax (white) versus a yellow 4-led flat-top on my Sandman.

image-20.jpgimage-20.jpg
    image-630.jpgimage-630.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I wouldn't LED most of those games. LED a Space Shuttle? Power Play? AFM might look decent but its not worth the time or the money especially in the classics. Leave that poor Radical! alone.

Uh, I've got to argue here. Space Shuttle looked amazing with CPR playfield and LEDs. No ghosting at all, at least on the one I had. I even had the GI with a fruity red, white, and blue theme to match the red, white, and blue pop bumper bodies/caps/wafers that I installed....never got anything but a crapton of compliments about how the game looked....especially from people that grew up with Space Shuttle.

#26 10 years ago

Just wait until your WOZ shows up and she makes you put TVs in all your games .

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

OMG MY EYES!

Did you take the plastic off in the Optimus Maximum white picture?

Photography Guys, You all know how hard it is to photo LEDs....
    As people have been wanting more light, we have added an assortment of bulbs that graduate and improve this.
    For some people, yes, it is too much light, for others no.
    Some people dont like LEDs at all, others say, only send me the brightest possible for everywhere.
    By offering Choices, People can decide for themselves.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes you could go through forum archive topics and probably answer any question you may have or you can simply ask.

Just trying to save dude some time. The info is already here a hundred times over. He can order tonight or he can order a week from now after waiting on the same responses that he can read right now.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Photography Guys, You all know how hard it is to photo LEDs....
    As people have been wanting more light, we have added an assortment of bulbs that graduate and improve this.
    For some people, yes, it is too much light, for others no.
    Some people dont like LEDs at all, others say, only send me the brightest possible for everywhere.
    By offering Choices, People can decide for themselves.

Just messing with ya I can definitely see using those in the spotlights in my SM and on XMLE.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Just to show versatility (because I haven't used the Optimus Maximus that I got to test out in the GI, just spotlights) here's the OpMax (white) versus a yellow 4-led flat-top on my Sandman.

image.jpg 617 KB

image-630.jpg 953 KB

image-20.jpg 1 MB

Thanks for the pics, that lights up Sandman really nice. I have never been happy with the amount of light any of the spotlights on my games produce. Seems like this would be worth a try.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Just trying to save dude some time. The info is already here a hundred times over. He can order tonight or he can order a week from now after waiting on the same responses that he can read right now.

e2ec2873e4c7ffea9e7cdc2a75974a1c.jpge2ec2873e4c7ffea9e7cdc2a75974a1c.jpg

#33 10 years ago

Ok Guys.........

First off, thanks for the replys............

The only titles im putting leds in are system 11 and newer, nothing older gets them.

I am also guilty of not updating my pin list, afm and space shuttle are both gone. F14, Met pro and ACDC prem have been added. No WOZ has been ordered.....

Alot of good info on this thread....... good thing this "dude" ask, as im looking for opinions on my status, not trying to decipher what alot of other people used for their complete led mod out, as stated, im only interested in whats the best for Gi lighting. I think i have some good answers, now onto a large led order.

Yes JWJ, Dubbbs also.

Dubbbs

#34 10 years ago

I used CT Supers with the 44 base in the GI in most of my games, the dispersion is very good. I'm looking fwd to seeing how these new Optiix maximus bulbs work too.

just don't waste your cash on the inexpensive 1-LED frosted bulbs, they are inappropriate for GI.

Edit: and I should also add that older SS machines may or may not play well with LEDs in the controlled lamps, but they work just fine in GI. My Paragon came out great when I converted the GI to all WW LEDs.

#35 10 years ago

"Bastages", I have not heard that in many years. thanks.

#37 10 years ago

Not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but maybe you could convert your AC/DC back to incandescent, kick it old school. Then everything would look dull and there would be no obvious reason to complain.

P.S. This may not actually be a money saver, all things considered!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thanks-stern-you-bastages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.