(Topic ID: 199752)

Thanks a lot Netflix...

By RandomGuyOffCL

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

st2 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

for the awesomeness that is stranger things...

I mean I have tried to find something relatable for me and my rad 9 yr old daughter

Tried pinball...meh

Tried shooting...wow this is sweet..but then meh

Even had her operate the cherry picker while trying to shoehorn a small block into an S-10...ok that was intense

But man, this Stranger things season 2...we are literally both peeing our pants with anticipation!!!

st2 (resized).jpgst2 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

for the awesomeness that is stranger things...
    I mean I have tried to find something relatable for me and my rad 9 yr old daughter
    Tried pinball...meh
    Tried shooting...wow this is sweet..but then meh
    Even had her operate the cherry picker while trying to shoehorn a small block into an S-10...ok that was intense
    But man, this Stranger things season 2...we are literally both peeing our pants with anticipation!!!

Tell that to my horror fan wife, who will NOT let our son watch that show, as he does not sleep through the night (he's 8). Never has, and 3/4 of the time (meaning approx 5 nights of the week) she wakes up when he has the slightest stirring, then complains that he doesn't sleep through the night. I get up the other nights when he's truly not sleeping, and scared/bored/ etc. He does not know how to go to sleep by himself.

Shizzle my nizzle, did I just turn this into a marriage counselling thread?

#3 6 years ago

I did not know season 2 was out already. I will watch an episode in the morning as soon as I get home from work!! Stranger Things is a really good show and could be a good pinball machine as well. I bet Zen Pinball could really make a cool game out of it as well.

Thanks for the heads up on.season 2!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I did not know season 2 was out already. I will watch an episode in the morning as soon as I get home from work!! Stranger Things is a really good show and could be a good pinball machine as well. I bet Zen Pinball could really make a cool game out of it as well.
    Thanks for the heads up on.season 2!

It's not. Comes out on the 27th I believe.

#5 6 years ago

Shit, didn't know S2 is out. This is a cool show. After seeing the first episode I started looking in to D&D and am now starting that.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's not. Comes out on the 27th I believe.

Oh ok my bad. I guess I was so excited that I didn't read his post carefully lol. Oh well, season 2 is gonna be great and I can't wait!

#7 6 years ago

Yo Chuck, I'll look out for it on the 27th. Love how Netflix lets a whole season go at once.

#8 6 years ago

It a great series . Emmy nominated . All binge season 1 before Season 2
    What it is: A dark mystery overtakes a rural Indiana town when the young Will Byers goes missing and a young girl with a shaved head and telekinetic abilities appears. Something sinister and supernatural has come out to play.
    Why you should watch it: It was the synth-laden soundtrack heard ’round the world last summer when Stranger Things dropped out of nowhere onto Netflix and us by storm. Even if you’ve seen the first 10 episodes already, it’s well worth a week-long binge watch leading up to its second installment’s Halloween weekend premiere. A back-to-form Winona Ryder, David Harbour (who landed an Emmy nomination for his performance), and breakout stars by way of all its kids (but particularly Emmy nominee Millie Bobby Brown) are simply that good. You can watch this series again and again, and there ain’t nothin’ strange about it.

Where to watch it: Netflix

Commitment: Approx. 7 hours

#9 6 years ago

Not for 9 year old .
    Really dig this Netfix original
    From Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, the visionary filmmakers behind Sound of My Voice and The East, comes a powerful, mind-bending tale about identity, human connection and the borders between life and death. The Netflix original series The OA is an odyssey in eight chapters produced in partnership with Plan B Entertainment, Netflix and Anonymous Content. The groundbreaking series offers audiences a singular experience that upends notions about what long-format stories can be.
    Season 2 coming !!!
    The OA

#10 6 years ago

Not for 9 year olds
    Watch on Netflix season 1-6
    Wentworth
    A all female Australian prison Drama .

#11 6 years ago

PEAKY BLINDERS Season 4 Official Trailer (2017) Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy TV Series HD
    Season 1-3 on Netflix . Season 4 in 2018

#12 6 years ago

They just announced a price increase. NO thank you netflix. I'm out.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Jeez I think it's only like 2.00 or something...All that good original programming cost big $$$ dude.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

lol

it's such a bargain to me, one movie ticket is $12.5 (maybe more), the entry level price of Netflix is still $7.99 (didn't change) one dollar price hike for mid tier HD plan $10.99.

Some people think Netflix should be cheaper don't understand how much they spend on content. Plus no commercials.

Dave Chapelle and Seinfeld stand up comedy are both great. Plus Kathleen Madigan. So much original content then you have show like Breaking Bad, TWD etc.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

Netflix is still a bargain. Don’t be such a tight A$$!

#16 6 years ago

One of the few series that my kids watch with us. Superb.

Kids will also watch 'The Good Place' - very clever comedy. Netflix again.

#17 6 years ago

Stranger Things is amazing. I just watched the first season a second time with my wife. Looking forward to season 2 as well!

Quoted from TomN:

Jeez I think it's only like 2.00 or something...All that good original programming cost big $$$ dude.

Exactly. I much rather pay $11 (standard HD plan) a month and have them continue cranking out great original programming. Many of the shows they are producing are excellent and I find myself getting more enjoyment out of them some new 2 hour movies that I just spent $12 to see. Also, all of their latest originally produced shows are being shot in 4K and if you have an HD TV then the $14 a month plan is a bargain for 4K content. There isn't a single show on cable being broadcast in 4K as of today.

Here's some info about the price increase.

"The standard service, which allows customers to stream shows and movies in HD on up to two screens at once, is now priced at $10.99 monthly, up from $9.99. The premium service, which provides viewing on up to four screens (plus ultra HD content access), is $13.99, up from $11.99.
    The basic service, which enables Netflix (NFLX, Tech30) streaming on one screen and doesn't allow for HD or ultra HD viewing, will remain at $7.99."

#18 6 years ago

My only complaint with Netflix (and I'm a shareholder) is the lack of any movies I want to watch. Their TV series are outstanding, winning multiple Emmys, and *everybody* in town wants to work with them - but their movies kind of suck. both the original movies and the ones they are getting from Hollywood. I don't know what the licensing plan is (if it's the usual Hollywood plan, it's "give me money! we have a movie!" 'but it's a bad movie' "...it's a movie! Give us 100 million dollars!") but they have got to improve on that.

The main recommendation we are pushing is to keep cranking out good, award-winning content, where they have a lot of leverage, then can renegotiate the deals with Hollywood. The problem with that is that it's sort of like letting NBC take over ALL tv channels - you hand everything to one person. Then the company will start looking at ways to cut costs; and the quality will go down. That's good for my stock, but bad for entertainment. Still, cross that bridge, it's still about 10 years away...

#19 6 years ago

^ I get the DVDs in the mail as well, they have tens or hundreds of thousands of titles.

There is a crap ton of DVDs and BlueRay titles including impossible to find foreign films. Sometimes I rent them and if they are not any good I just watch 20 minutes. But then I have the streaming to fill in the bulk of TV shows. I like watching old sitcoms like Friends and Cheers (although they are slightly abridged from the DVD equivalent at least Friends I don't understand that aspect).

------
    $17.98 a month (including $2 for Blu-ray) for both streaming and discs. After all, $17.98 is still less than what I shelled out to watch Transformers: Dark of the Moon in IMAX 3D.

#20 6 years ago

Just looking hard to find the actual number but they say almost 93,000 DVD titles (as of last year) which is around 10x as much as is streaming.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The problem with that is that it's sort of like letting NBC take over ALL tv channels - you hand everything to one person. Then the company will start looking at ways to cut costs; and the quality will go down. That's good for my stock, but bad for entertainment. Still, cross that bridge, it's still about 10 years away...

Nah, it'll never be a threat. Netflix won't dominate streaming services, everyone is going to be having one. My personal feel is the Netflix stock has topped out unless they develop a show like Game of Thrones that drives viewers by itself (Stranger Things may end up being a GoT level show, but isn't yet).

#22 6 years ago

The first season was fun but I hope the second season has a little more going on. Once you get past the basic mystery, the first season is kind of a drag to re-watch. I'd like to see some more meat to the scenes. Also, more Barb. Somehow.

#23 6 years ago

Anyone catch BigMouth yet.. it's hilarious.. raunchy cartoon about kids going through the onset of puberty.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

$11 dollars a month or $200 a month for shitty cable programming with commercials. I'll take Netflix any day

#25 6 years ago

Peaky Blinders and Bojack Horseman are my favorite Netflix shows followed closely by Stranger Things. I do sort of worry that they can capture that same level of awesomeness in Stranger Things season 2. Its sort of like a sequel to a classic movie. Not always as good as the original.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I do sort of worry that they can capture that same level of awesomeness in Stranger Things season 2. Its sort of like a sequel to a classic movie. Not always as good as the original.

Well yeah it would be hard that's for sure. As least you can tell the creators are really into the details of everything so they should have had it mapped out well from the start.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My only complaint with Netflix (and I'm a shareholder) is the lack of any movies I want to watch. Their TV series are outstanding, winning multiple Emmys, and *everybody* in town wants to work with them - but their movies kind of suck. both the original movies and the ones they are getting from Hollywood. I don't know what the licensing plan is (if it's the usual Hollywood plan, it's "give me money! we have a movie!" 'but it's a bad movie' "...it's a movie! Give us 100 million dollars!") but they have got to improve on that.
    The main recommendation we are pushing is to keep cranking out good, award-winning content, where they have a lot of leverage, then can renegotiate the deals with Hollywood. The problem with that is that it's sort of like letting NBC take over ALL tv channels - you hand everything to one person. Then the company will start looking at ways to cut costs; and the quality will go down. That's good for my stock, but bad for entertainment. Still, cross that bridge, it's still about 10 years away...

Rights owners are branching off into their own services. Disney will launch its streaming service in 2019 and will be pulling content from Netflix then. Even CBS is forcing everyone to sign up for CBS All Access if they want to watch the new Star Trek show.

For movies, I tend to buy UV or iTunes codes from blu-rays. Costs only a few bucks each.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Nah, it'll never be a threat. Netflix won't dominate streaming services, everyone is going to be having one. My personal feel is the Netflix stock has topped out unless they develop a show like Game of Thrones that drives viewers by itself (Stranger Things may end up being a GoT level show, but isn't yet).

Wait until Q2 2018 then we'll talk

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Rights owners are branching off into their own services. Disney will launch its streaming service in 2019 and will be pulling content from Netflix then. Even CBS is forcing everyone to sign up for CBS All Access if they want to watch the new Star Trek show.
    For movies, I tend to buy UV or iTunes codes from blu-rays. Costs only a few bucks each.

That is correct. See my post to TigerLaw; they are Projected to tap out halfway through 2019 (sorry I wrote 2018 in the previous post). They don't have the infrastructure, and Netflix has backline deals with Level3 and the other tier 1 internet providers to deliver service that the other networks can't compete with. Netflix will start rolling out infrastructure deals (e.g. "cbs on netflix") next year some time

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thanks-a-lot-netflix?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.