Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 436 posts
  • 143 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

south-park-s05e07c01-red-rocket-16x9.jpg
    simba_razor2.jpg
    simba_razor.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Snapshot_20151025_4c.jpg
    MollyBellyRub.jpg
    7.jpg
    GTO3.jpg
    15.jpg
    20150701_075329.jpg
    TaroPuppy.jpg
    rowzee.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

You can’t scream and yell at people and expect them to feel warm and fuzzy about you.

I had forgotten how much of an asshole he is. I get that I'm not exactly Pacak's favourite person but dude, act like a professional with your vendors.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

There is another difference between Expo in Chicago and other shows (at least the one I know the most about): Mike runs Expo to make money.

If people are curious as to why the banquet is on Saturday night and the vendor hall is closed for it, it used to be that most of the money they make is from selling banquet tickets and I can't imagine that has changed much. So, that's why the banquet is when in it is and why the vendor hall is closed - so during "prime time", people have nothing else to do and are essentially forced into the banquet, or they need to find something else to do during that time.

I don't have an issue with them trying to make money - it would be nice if every show could be profitable. I just don't want to be yelled at after I've paid up for a vendor booth. I'd prefer to be treated like an adult.

People have been bitching about Mike for as long as Expo has been happening and it's been over three decades now. Expo isn't going anywhere, but it's also not changing until the organizers change, and that's not happening anytime soon either.

Best plan is to just vote with your wallet, which seem to be the trend given the increase in attendance elsewhere while Expo drops off from its peak.

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

hey genius, you're breaking the rules; expect to get bitched at. What did you want, help loading?? I notice none of the Mike bashers mentioned the end of that story... the guy continued packing after the tongue-lashing with no repercussion whatsoever.

You mean those rules I had no idea existed? There was no "Vendor Package" when I got there, so I went by the posted schedule which didn't list *any* vendor activity on Sunday. This was my first show as a vendor, so I had no idea how any of it worked. I just followed how it's worked for me at other shows.

I live a 10-hour drive away and I have a baby who goes to sleep early, there's no way I'm coming back at 11pm or sticking around until 4pm on Sunday - I have a full time job I need to get back to. I was manning my booth by myself all weekend - no helpers. That's called real life.

If Mike had a problem with what I was doing, he should have dealt with it like an adult and a professional and had a normal conversation with me, and perhaps had some understanding on *why* I was packing up - not rolled up and started yelling at me like I'm a child. That's not how you deal with problems as an adult.

It's not my responsibility to to understand the stress he's under and "give him a pass" for acting like an ass. I'm a PAID VENDOR at a SHOW and I expect a level of professionalism that comes with that.

In contrast, I was at the Cleveland Pinball Show as a vendor and they treated me amazingly - after seeing my display they gave me a free booth upgrade, they came by to ask how I was doing, offered to announce my products on the PA, and helped me load and unload! I didn't expect that but I sure appreciated it. They were calm, professional and very understanding of the restrictions I was working on. I would be a vendor at that show again in a heartbeat.

That's how Mike should act - like a professional. He doesn't need to do anything but treat people with some respect.

#150 8 years ago

Also I retract what I said about the banquet, I was wrong and I shouldn't have said anything if I wasn't sure about it.

Like I've said previously, my issues were with how I was treated and not the show, which I think still offers a lot and is still considered the premiere pinball show in the US.

#165 8 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

All I know is, you've been a rude ass to me and most of the Ohio/Midwest people I know frequently.

When I came over to introduce myself to Zitt and compliment him on his game, he looked at me with a sneer, barked an insincere "thanks" and walked away. Not one of my more pleasant Expo experiences.

So that's another data point. He's not *wrong* but perhaps his own attitude is colouring his perceptions.

#324 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

pinball is going to die, like it or not.

It'll never die out completely. It will follow the same path as all obsolete tech - it'll become a niche hobby for the idle rich, like horseback riding. In fact it's basically there now. And there will always be small boutique operations to pump out one or two titles.

Remember, people are still driving Model Ts as a hobby.

#328 8 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Jeremy, really, Model Ts? have you seen the price on those? they have been dropping because less people "care" about those. but 60s muscle cars still have financial power, for obvious reasons. I haven't seen a model T in a *long* time.

I saw one a month ago. The point is, although the days of seeing them on every street corner are long gone, there's still people interested in them, maintaining and driving them. There will always be a die hard core of collectors, so I wouldn't worry about 'the future of pinball'.

It's about as popular now as it'll ever get. I say just enjoy it while it lasts, then enjoy the cheap prices after the hipsters move on.

#359 8 years ago

I didn't get into pinball until I was in my 20's. The hipsters flooding into the hobby now didn't get into it until their 20's either. I kind of agree with Clay on this one.

I don't think that anyone needs to do anything, it's humming along the best it's ever been since the 90s and expecting it to get better is missing that fact. Better to encourage young people with disposable income who might buy a game NOW rather than buy one 20 years from now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thank-yous-and-farwell-expo-15?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.