Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 436 posts
  • 143 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

south-park-s05e07c01-red-rocket-16x9.jpg
    simba_razor2.jpg
    simba_razor.jpg
    image.jpeg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    Snapshot_20151025_4c.jpg
    MollyBellyRub.jpg
    7.jpg
    GTO3.jpg
    15.jpg
    20150701_075329.jpg
    TaroPuppy.jpg
    rowzee.jpg

There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 8 years ago

I'm starting to think getting yelled at by Mike is a pinball rite of passage.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I saw & overheard Mike P cussing up a storm with TWO different VENDORS for being a FEW inches outside (6" - 8" MAX) their "blue tape boundaries".

He should have spent more time updating his own website. I was shocked to see Python Anghelo listed as a Special Guest Speaker http://pinballexpo.net/autogrph.php
    (add to that Jpop...)

#53 8 years ago

This is by far NOT the correct story .. EVERY Year ROb says hes not comming back? He did call me when I was driving into Chicago traffic in rental truck you are NOT allowed on phone in city I dont have blue tooth I told him that I could not talk when I was stopped in traffic I text him Six months ago or so he said he was not comming to expo You can see his schedule then . You guys might remember the post on here.. I NEVER told him he was banned or not coming back . I did tell a few people messing with him knowing they would tell him . This whole thing is blown out of proportions MOST people I talk to say the vendor hall was great Yes we lost a few and gained a few there were ALOT of great gamesin Vendor hall although SOME vendors refused to set on free play The game hall was light as we had 45 games from JOHN PEDERSON last year Overall PINBALL EXPO still offers the most variety of any show all around YES not the most games but has much more to offer.. many other show do have more games THats not all that makes a good show I dont believe ANY show gives ROB a seperate room to do what ever he wants 24x7 as I do?? Again I never told him he was banned and YES I cut him off as I was driving in traffic

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I did tell a few people messing with him knowing they would tell him .

GREat WorK

#55 8 years ago

Maybe you should consider coming to Louisville in the spring. I think I'm going to consider that my home show from now on and they need more vendors.

#56 8 years ago

Rob, I love the big ass room all by itself that you get at MGC.......always a fun time!

#57 8 years ago

ANd yes I heard about him selling soda there.. I FINALLY got the hotel to put in a SODA machine for us and ROB sells SODA.. but dont ask?? Try doing that at ANY other show see if he lasts a day or is told to stop... No we let it go....Again he was given free rein there 24x7 and kinda took advantage BUT I did not tell him he was banned and didnt tell others that simply said he may not be back.... Rob has gotten away with more freedom at expo than ANY SHOW would allow ...GEE lets talk about the holes put in the walls a few years ago by using PUSH pins to hold things up .. GEE I got him out of paying the 600.00 the hotel wanted to fix it... AND they still allowed him back .. And besides ROB gets a deal like no other for his space

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I NEVER told him he was banned or not coming back . I did tell a few people messing with him knowing they would tell him .

That's a pretty messed up thing to do, Mike.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

This is by far NOT the correct story .. EVERY Year ROb says hes not comming back? He did call me when I was driving into Chicago traffic in rental truck you are NOT allowed on phone in city I dont have blue tooth I told him that I could not talk when I was stopped in traffic I text him Six months ago or so he said he was not comming to expo You can see his schedule then . You guys might remember the post on here.. I NEVER told him he was banned or not coming back . I did tell a few people messing with him knowing they would tell him . This whole thing is blown out of proportions MOST people I talk to say the vendor hall was great Yes we lost a few and gained a few there were ALOT of great gamesin Vendor hall although SOME vendors refused to set on free play The game hall was light as we had 45 games from JOHN PEDERSON last year Overall PINBALL EXPO still offers the most variety of any show all around YES not the most games but has much more to offer.. many other show do have more games THats not all that makes a good show I dont believe ANY show gives ROB a seperate room to do what ever he wants 24x7 as I do?? Again I never told him he was banned and YES I cut him off as I was driving in traffic

Shows that have me in a separate room and treat me like a valued contributor to the show year after year...

Texas Pinball Festival
    Pin-a-GoGo
    Midwest Gaming Classic
    Houston Arcade Expo

Rob tells you he's not doing the show every year, immediately after you yell at him at the top of your lungs in front of customers, colleagues, and friends. I've told you over and over again, I'm not your three year old child, don't yell at me. Of course I tell you I'm not doing the show again, how could I do anything else? Eventually we both calm down and work things out, but it's grating, abusive, and unnecessary.

I'm at the point I don't care anymore. If you don't want me there, I don't care, I won't go. If I hear from others you don't want me there, what am I supposed to think? I called you to get it directly from you, got no answer and more screaming, and then "game playing". I waited a couple of days for a return phone call. What more should I have done? I'm not going to chase after you to get abused over and over, sorry.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#60 8 years ago

Here's all I know:

Expo is an incredible show, like no other. Is it perfect? No. Is it THE place to be for free play pinall? No. But it's still something special.

Borygard is a much appreciated member of the community, and everyone wants him there. It's a win for everyone.

Mike if you have time to post here maybe pick up the phone and just settle it, we don't need to watch your private conversation. I'm sure you can work it out so everyone is happy.

I plan on being at Expo next year, wouldn't miss it. I hope everyone else who wants to be there is also there.

#61 8 years ago

I was very tired at expo and have been busy between unloading trucks and putting things away we all are getting OLDER it gets harder all the time ROB we will talk soon like next week .Things will be ok

#62 8 years ago

If you notice its some of the SAME posters here that have a BEEF with expo?? YEs because on overall variety WE ARE THE BEST SHOW best vendors . most industry people past and present Stern tour MOST rare and unusual games One of the best touraments is USA There are many other good shows BUT NOT like expo

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

...GEE lets talk about the holes put in the walls a few years ago by using PUSH pins to hold things up .. GEE I got him out of paying the 600.00 the hotel wanted to fix it... AND they still allowed him back .. And besides ROB gets a deal like no other for his space

To be factually correct; the push pin fine was $1000. You got it reduced to $500, which I paid. I didn't have to, the contract with the hotel was with you, not me. I never signed anything saying I wouldn't put pins in the wall. Didn't know it wasn't allowed. I still paid the ridiculous fine because it was my doing, and felt it my responsibility.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I was very tired at expo and have been busy between unloading trucks and putting things away we all are getting OLDER

Maybe just time to retire then instead of ruining the legacy you laid down.

#65 8 years ago

I thought we only had pinball drama in Michigan.

#66 8 years ago

I consider Rob a great friend. Not just someone that fixes games for me occasionally or sells me parts. But a true friend. Rob has had a lot going on personally this year with the theft that happened at his home. So Mike's attempt at a joke was poor timing. I'm sure that this will work out so hopefully we can let this go and let them work it out.

Although there is still room for improvement for the show, I'm grateful of the work that is put in to make this show.

One improvement would be having all games available to be played. I know that GAP and Pincades had special games in their booth but not letting them be played is somewhat against what this shower is. Maybe have them get the rooms in Rob's hall and set up there. If they are in the vendor hall then they should be made available to those that paid to get in the hall.

Another improvement is moving the banquet. Saturday night is prime time for people to use the hall and it's shut down. I think having a Sunday brunch banquet would be best. But I'm sure there are behind the scenes things that prevent that

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

...ROB we will talk soon like next week .Things will be ok

Cool. I look forward to having a civil conversation with you.

Now can we get back to the positives of this thread? My gratitude for everyone's contributions is immeasurable. Especially this guy...

TaroExpo15.jpgTaroExpo15.jpg

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#68 8 years ago

Rob, you're always the first person I visit when arriving to a show and the last person I visit when leaving. Thanks for all you do for me and for the entire pinball community.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#69 8 years ago

Man you Chicago fuckers are crazy.

Oh wait, it's the same thing here; nevermind

#70 8 years ago

I would love to see a competing show the same weekend as expo. What a weekend!

#72 8 years ago

Bring it in Rob.

image.gifimage.gif

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I was very tired at expo and have been busy between unloading trucks and putting things away we all are getting OLDER it gets harder all the time ROB we will talk soon like next week .Things will be ok

You know what? I say fair enough to that. It's a shitload of work, and I know when I get tired I get cranky. Ask my wife and kids.

I had a great time at Expo, and nothing that wasn't perfect is going to ruin that for me.

I've kind of picked up a negative vibe from people who didn't go, that maybe they were glad they missed it because of some drama or it wasn't that great or whatever. Man, if you weren't there you missed out on a killer time.

Awesome pinball people from around the world. Meet all sorts of Pinsiders. Play games you've never seen before. How awesome was it to see the first raw form of Nightmare Before Christmas? I had fun flipping it man, it was great even with cardboard ramps!

The GOT party, where they hustled to get an LE there in time for people to play. I bet they were cranky too!

Of course there was a little Full Throttle party at Twin Peaks ... But hey, I know no one on Pinside likes boobs and free beer and chicken wings, so that's no big deal.

What I would change if I could was more hours for the vendor hall. That's the main attraction, and it's often not available. I don't know how all the vendors feel, but several told me they felt the same way. Who knows!

#74 8 years ago

Shit, I didn't even mention the Pinball Life party. Terry's was amazing, such a great time. I spent half of it drinking with Dennis Nordman, talking Alien and Whitewater and who knows what else. What a great guy, he's really just curious and hoping it comes out well. And his DNA is all over it, if it shoots as good as it looks on video then he and Dave will both deserve credit.

People man, people are the best part of Expo.

Talked to Greg Freres. Stayed up late with Lyman. Met Jared! Jared is awesome. I can't help but love Jared. Didn't really get to talk to Steve Ritchie, but was able to say hi.

Got to chill with RotorDave! His wife is awesome. Speaking of awesome wives, big shout out to Trophy, VIP bartender to the pinball stars. Got to hang with centerflank. My boys AceJedi and FatTrain. NimblePin!!

Played Full Throttle, chilled with Andrew, got to meet János and Romain, it was great man. I could on and on. Steve and Juris and Jonathan from Pinball Magazine, and chilling with HiDef and Gryszzz and on and on.

Wish Ben Heck and I could have hung out more, but he was a bum and didn't come out until Saturday. Caught his talk with Spooky and then had to bail to the airport.

There's also all kind of other amazing shit. Great show. But the people are the best.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

No. Terrible idea, injures both shows due to a lack of attendees....not enough vendors for both shows, etc. Plus I'd still be going to the expo anyways

#76 8 years ago

I think the chicago expo is really fun. it's unlike other shows. i go every year and always have fun. we went early this year, wednesday, never done that before. i like it, the dinner mike provides was very nice. i like rob's repair room too. though frankly he has way too many groupies hanging in there! ha! (i didn't even see the dog this year.) Mike was very gracious to me. but i try to not bother him as i know his job is big and tiresome and probably high stress. and i know after a show is done there's still a lot of work, even after all the visitors are long gone. so i don't try and talk to him for a couple weeks after the show is over.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Bring it in Rob.

image.gif

Beer summit Mike, Rob, and Obama

#78 8 years ago

Rob, We'd love to see you bring your wares to the Southern Fried Game Room Expo in Atlanta this year!

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Beer summit Mike, Rob, and Obama

Or, Mike, Rob and the Pinball Mafia factions in Michigan?

#80 8 years ago

I enjoyed as always seeing Rob and Taro

I will always attend expo. I had a great time and met some pinsiders I had not met prior and it was a blast.

The PinGraffix team had fun and we will be back..

Aurich thanks for the laughs and we need to hang more next time.. I enjoy meeting and hanging with my fellow pinheads!

Hope it all works out!

Thank you - Jim

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I dont believe ANY show gives ROB a seperate room to do what ever he wants 24x7 as I do??

Rob has his own room off the side of the main convention floor at TPF last year and the year before...

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from catboxer:

I just wanted to say that if anyone thinks they can get the industry people to come to a competing show, then I am in to help and dedicate lots of time to get your show off the ground.

I think there is a distinct posibility of creating a directly competing local show on the same weekend, but in order to have success you will need to bring Proc group, some of the vendors, and industry people.

After seeing the continueed downward spiral of expo and now this treatment of one of the key players in expo success (combined with the all too common feedback that Mike is less than professional and berates both attendees and helpers), I am all in for helping to get a new show off the ground.

My suggestion would be to look for a proper place around Huntley to make it all happen. Spawn off the already great success of explosion and position yourself logistically closer to them would be a big plus right out of the gate.

#83 8 years ago

You are just determined for Expo to fail, aren't you Hilton?

#84 8 years ago

Please, stay home next year and relieve yourself of the "downward spiral" that is Expo.

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Rob has gotten away with more freedom at expo than ANY SHOW would allow

But... are there wrasslin' matches?!

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I just wanted to say that if anyone thinks they can get the industry people to come to a competing show, then I am in to help and dedicate lots of time to get your show off the ground.
    I think there is a distinct posibility of creating a directly competing local show on the same weekend, but in order to have success you will need to bring Proc group, some of the vendors, and industry people.
    After seeing the continueed downward spiral of expo and now this treatment of one of the key players in expo success (combined with the all too common feedback that Mike is less than professional and berates both attendees and helpers), I am all in for helping to get a new show off the ground.
    My suggestion would be to look for a proper place around Huntley to make it all happen. Spawn off the already great success of explosion and position yourself logistically closer to them would be a big plus right out of the gate.

Fixing EXPO would be much easier and a better resolution, IMO.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

It seems to me that with his attitude and how I saw him treat vendors and guests, Mike is doing a good job of it himself.

#89 8 years ago

If it sucks so bad, why do y'all keep coming back? In hilton's case I think half the reason is so he can bitch about Mike the rest of the year.

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Rob, We'd love to see you bring your wares to the Southern Fried Game Room Expo in Atlanta this year!

I second this! Come to SFGE, it's growing and it's a lot of fun.

The team who runs it are all great, happy, friendly people.

#91 8 years ago

TPF is way better anyway. This was my first and probably last expo. I did enjoy the pinball life party, but not sure that would be worth the drive alone.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If it sucks so bad, why do y'all keep coming back?

I think a BIG issue is with misconception. EXPO is billed as the premiere pinball event, which I guess it is in its own way, but the FOCUS of the show is not PLAYING pinball. I think most new attendees are expecting a big room full of nice-playing games on free play, open all hours of the show, like most every other pinball show. When that expectation evaporates and the free play room is closed, and the only other events going on cost more money than 'regular' admission, the whole trip turns sour. This is why I haven't been back to EXPO since my first trip in 2000. Not my kind of show at all.

I really enjoyed meeting you, then Larry.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Bring it in Rob.

image.gif

That monkey's dong is really visible.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I think a BIG issue is with misconception. EXPO is billed as the premiere pinball event, which I guess it is in its own way, but the FOCUS of the show is not PLAYING pinball. I think most new attendees are expecting a big room full of nice-playing games on free play, open all hours of the show, like most every other pinball show. When that expectation evaporates and the free play room is closed, and the only other events going on cost more money than 'regular' admission, the whole trip turns sour. This is why I haven't been back to EXPO since my first trip in 2000. Not my kind of show at all.
    I really enjoyed meeting you, then Larry.

I think we should work on incentives. If we could implement "Show Cash" similar to how MGC smartly does it, that would help entice people to bring more than the minimum required game as well as pay the vendors that bring their wares. This should keep everyone happy.

Look at MGC. It's bursting at the seems in a good way. If expo could share some of the good ideas of that show plus include the local pinball industry people and PBL it would be incredible.

-c

#95 8 years ago

Sorry for the aggravation, Rob.

Mike, you just keep shooting yourself in the Croc. One of these days you'll hit something important.

To the gathered masses, so long as you keep going to Expo, the beatings will continue until moral improves.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Another improvement is moving the banquet. Saturday night is prime time for people to use the hall and it's shut down. I think having a Sunday brunch banquet would be best. But I'm sure there are behind the scenes things that prevent that

Mike, as a vendor I really enjoy the show. This is my only complaint. Saturday night is PRIME selling hours for locals and families and needs to be open like Friday night if possible.

#97 8 years ago

I agree with you Cody. For newbies in pinball the feedback on this show is terrible. It really sounds like someone else should take a crack at running this expo. New blood and ideas.

#98 8 years ago

Pintastic, New England is the new center of Pinball

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It seems to me that with his attitude and how I saw him treat vendors and guests, Mike is doing a good job of it himself.

Ya last year was my first time going to expo so obviously I wasn't familiar with how it works. But I went to the desk where the nice ladies sold the tickets and bought a ticket and they said take it down the hall to Mike to get a bracelet. I said thank you and headed that way. Went to give him my ticket and he actually seemed pissed because I was apparently way too early (I didn't know di**wad! First time!). Of course as tempting as it was, I have a personal rule to not knock the f**k out old crippled guys. Someone with less class than him may not agree someday though!

But regardless had a great time last 2 years so it didn't ruin experience anyway. I have much larger things in life to worry about then some douche on a power trip at a pinball show!

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

no, I actually would love to see it get better but it seems unless Mike is willing to hand it over to someone else then that wont happen. Read all the comments and there is a central theme/issue/person that is at fault. If that cant be fixed then I start to look at other options.

If you know me at all, you know I am very passionate about pinball. It is VERY sad to see the trajectory of expo and when it seems so obvious to many of you guys that put in effort to try and keep it hobbling along what needs to be done yet you have some prick berating you and your customers while you voulenteer your time and energy.

There are 436 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thank-yous-and-farwell-expo-15/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.