Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

310.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

As you all know, I lost my son Tommy to substance abuse last Friday. He had been drug free for the last 5 months but he relapsed and he lost his battle. I wanted to tell you all a little about my son. His mother and I split up when he was only about 1 year old. I am not really sure why but his mother left me. I was a part time dad for many years, although I had liberal visitation and I took full advantage of it. Tommy always preferred doing something or going somewhere over material possessions. Over the years, we probably went to more ballgames and visited more places than most fathers and sons do in a lifetime. He loved going to Rutgers football and basketball games the most. He loved to play baseball and he was a pitcher on the Kittitanny High School varsity baseball team.

When he was 11 years old he served as the best man at my wedding. I had him as my best man because he was my best friend. When he was 14, he moved in with us and lived with us through his first year of college. After his first year of college, he decided he wanted to move to San Diego and go to school out there. He lived there a couple of years but he eventually decided to move back to NJ. I am not exactly sure when his drug use went from smoking pot and occasionally getting drunk with his friends to using heroin but it was some time in the last 2 years. I don't know why he would ever try it in the first place but he did and it ultimately cost him his life. I had done everything I possibly could over the last 2 years to help him but he was not able to help himself. I spent the day with him last Tuesday and we had a good day. We hugged at the end of the day and he said "I love you Dad". I talked to him a few times after that and that was also the last thing I ever heard him say over the phone.

Tuesday night was his viewing and we had over 500 friends and family show up. His best friend Sean told me that Tommy had saved his life and he wanted to do the same for Tommy but he was not able to. Sean is not the person who introduced my son to heroin but he battled his own demons with a different drug but he recovered and he is going to law school this fall.

Yesterday was Tommy's funeral. It was the worst day of my life but like all days it was eventually over. I drew strength from my loving wife Michele, my beautiful little girl Madelyn and Tommy's sister from his mother's side Sarah. We had a wonderful celebration of Tommy's life after the burial at Dominicks Pizza, which is where he worked for a few years, making and delivering pizzas.

I posted the news of Tommy's death here the other day to let people know what had happened. I was not really not looking for sympathy but it helps to talk to people about what happened. I also wanted to let people know of my intentions of purchasing a Tommy pinball machine since he was named after Tommy the pinball wizard. The funds were not there to make a purchase but I figured I would sell or trade in order to get one eventually. I really was in shock when I found out that CRAIG had started a memorial fund for Tommy to purchase the pinball machine. He asked my permission first and I told him my intention was never to receive charity but I know how rewarding helping others can be. He emailed me last night to tell me that a Tommy pinball machine had been purchased and will be shipped to me. He has also let me know that over $1000 had been raised in excess of the amount needed to purchase the machine. I took the time this morning to read every post on the topic which took a couple of hours before I posted this. I must say that I am completely overwhelmed by the generosity and support I received from my fellow pinsiders. I will cherish the pinball machine for the rest of my life and will pass it on to my daughter after that. The money will greatly help my family pay for some of the funeral expenses. We had a $5000 insurance policy on Tommy that was purchased when he was born by my grandmother. I had forgotten about this until my dad told me about it yesterday. That still left about $8000 in expenses that we have put on our credit card. My ex wife was not able to help with the expenses but I know in time we will get the credit card paid off. The money will certainly help us get there faster.

I could not possibly think of a better way to honor my son than with this pinball machine that will sit in my basement bar for the rest of my life. You guys made this happen and I will be forever grateful as will my son Tommy as he looks down from heaven on all of us. When I play the machine, I will always have fond memories of playing pinball with my son but I will also always remember the act of human kindness that happened here. That is really what is important to me even more so than the pinball machine. My son Tommy was such a kind person and he had so much love for his father. I know this is the sort of thing he would have wanted to do. He would be so proud of that pinball machine. As for the poster, I think it is a great idea and I would want everybody who wants one to have a copy to hang in their bar or gameroom just to remind them to be thankful for their loved ones or to as a reminder to the difference we can make in other people's lives.

Once again I would like to thank everybody from the bottom of my heart and to thank God for surrounding me with so many wonderful friends to help me through this difficult time. Special thanks go out to Craig as well as surfsidedetail. Whether you contributed or just took the time to send out your condolences, I thank all of you. Sincerely with much love, Don Sienkiewicz

#2 10 years ago

Here is a picture of Tommy with my daughter Maddie from a vacation in Florida a couple of years ago

310.JPG310.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for writing that, Don!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wipe away some tears and go hug my two boys.

#4 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss Don, hope the pin will bring happy memories just like Tommy had so many times before

#5 10 years ago

Children should bury their parents not the other way around. My condolences to you and your family and hope I never have to endure such sorrow. I wish I could have done more.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks so much for this moving portrait of your son and for the update on your situation. And the picture is wonderful. Very touching.

I am going to cast the net a little wider this afternoon to see if we can bump the fund up a bit more. We've got your back, Don!

#7 10 years ago

I am reading this as my two year old son takes his nap on my chest and can't hold back the tears. We are all feeling the pain of your loss and know that we can't make it go away but provide a distraction.

#8 10 years ago

Glad people could be there to help support you Don.

LTG

#9 10 years ago

Don, while most of us here do not know you, your situation obviously touched a nerve (in a good way). Your post above also brought me to tears. I have a 12 year old daughter and an 8 year old son, and yet I still can't imagine the pain of loosing a child. I was happy to contribute a small amount - and obviously many more were as well. I hope, in some small way, this helps to comfort you in this time of loss.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I could not possibly think of a better way to honor my son than with this pinball machine that will sit in my basement bar for the rest of my life.

Best regards Don. I'm catching up with this post late, but I'll donate tonight. Keep your chin up!

#11 10 years ago

Can't wait to see the picture of you playing Tommy! We're here for you.

#12 10 years ago

Your post was a very emotional one, and I hope this just brings you and your family a little comfort in your time of need. I too have been through the battle with a loved one and found out very quickly there is nothing more powerful and controlling than a drug addiction. Thank you for sharing and take comfort in knowing Tommy will be there when you are playing your machine and when your not.

#13 10 years ago

Don, as the father of a teenager, I cannot even fathom the hurt you must be feeling. No parent should outlive their children. We spend years raising them and loving them, but as they get older they get exposed to elements that are completely out of our control. It sounds like you are a good father, and did everything that you could. I'm glad that Craig put this together, and I hope it can help you find some peace.

#14 10 years ago

So sorry for your loss Don, I can't imagine the pain you are going through. While I know nothing can take away the hurt you are feeling I hope that this eases it slightly. Thank you for sharing this touching story with us.

#15 10 years ago

Sorry for your loss Don. Very touching story; thank you for sharing. That tommy pin will be a great symbol for generations to come in your family.

#16 10 years ago

I am deeply sorry for your loss Don, I have two young boys and my world is all about them. God bless you and your family.

#17 10 years ago

Such a moving post. What a great community.

#18 10 years ago

So sorry for your loss Don. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. So proud of pinside. what an amazing community

#19 10 years ago

Don-

First, my condolences to you on your loss. The loss of a child is unfathomable for me to even think about.

Generally speaking, I'm a fairly stoic not particularly emotional guy, but I had to get up and close my office door as I read your post. I'm now sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I type this.

I've got two little ones at home (6 and 2), and I'm going to make a point of doing a family activity tonight, and make sure they get a little extra love.

While I know that the hole left in your heart can never be refilled, I'll pray that you find the strength to make it through this difficult time.

#20 10 years ago

I did not think twice, hesitate, think about, or ponder about sending a donation. I sent it just as if it was part of my routine. I think most people thought this way. Sorry for your terrible loss, and hope time will heal your pain.

#21 10 years ago

Bump for those who haven't seen this...

#22 10 years ago

Don, continuing to pray that you get all the support you need during this painful time.

#23 10 years ago

My condolences on your loss. No pin can ever replace a loss of a loved one, but hope it will help keep the great memories of your son forever. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

#24 10 years ago

Don, again so sorry for your loss.

That was one of the most well written posts ever on pinside. All our hearts go out to you and your family.

#25 10 years ago

Wow, that is really heart touching. My deepest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your son. I could not imagine the sorrow you feel. My son is my life and strength, if I ever lost him I would be so heart broken. It's great to know our pinball community cares.

#27 10 years ago

I don't even have my own kids and I'm crying. Making sure to call my Dad tonight. Again so sorry for your loss.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Thanks for writing that, Don!
    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wipe away some tears and go hug my two boys.

im also balling my eyes out sorry again don & family

#29 10 years ago

Don, You have reached my heart with what you are dealing with. Im not one with words for this stuff. I do understand how sometimes it is easier to tell some one that you don't know what pain you are dealing with. I have cried more than once in the past few days. I have hugged my kids a few more times. Sending you and your family prayers and love.

Bill

#30 10 years ago

Don, as others have said, thank you for sharing with us. If nothing else I think that those of us with kids will hug them a little tighter tonight and try to treasure every moment because you just never know. My deepest condolences.

#31 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Don. I went outside and played basketball with my 12yr. old son, something I haven't done since last summer. Always "too busy", but not tonight.

Take Care.

#32 10 years ago

Thanks for the note Don. We're all thinking of you and your family.

#33 10 years ago

My words are not good enough.

OP's words are powerful.

#34 10 years ago

Last bump of the night. Hope you can get some sleep, Don. Thanks again for your eloquent post. I won't ever forget it.

#35 10 years ago

I also am in tears reading this Don, but I am also smiling seeing the pinball community come together when another is in need. I will be hugging my children a little harder tonight. My condolences to you and your family.

#36 10 years ago

thank you for sharing, had me choked up reading your words, enjoy your Tommy pin and enjoy your family and friends

#37 10 years ago

Don, your moving story isn't something I shall ever forget. I believe as humans we are defined by not only what we do but how we are able to relate to one another. I have no doubt it was difficult to express your feelings to others (many who you don't know), but the fact you were able to do it so effectively shows us all how much you loved Tommy. You have helped everyone stop and realize how much we value those who we love. God bless you and your family.

Your Pinside friend,
    Brad

#38 10 years ago

This makes me feel sad for your loss and very happy to be part of such a great community at the same time. Thanks for the post Don.

#39 10 years ago

Hey Don,

As a parent I cannot beging to fanthom the pain you and your family is going through, your words quickly brought tears to my eyes as I read on which I'm generally not one to tear up so easily. Nothing can ever replace what you have lost temporarily but know one day we all shall be reunited once again. In addition the overwhelming support that this community has done to help a friend in his need is nothing short of pure humanity, this is what it's all about to be able to pick each other up in their time of need, for one day we will all have that need. To honor your son Tommy, and this great communitys actions, I proudly display the Tommy Avatar next to my name for the rest of the month. May you find strenght in yourself and others during your time of sorrow, God Bless!

Mike

#40 10 years ago

If we had to choose the single best Pinside post of all time, Don's would get my vote without a moment's hesitation. I reread it, made sure my wife read it, and I will print it out to read in the future.

I am sure no one wants Pinside to turn into one big telethon, and so we are drawing this little campaign to a close. At the same time, let me remark--as others already have--on how affirming it has been to see the best in so many people. (I say that with the benefit of having read hundreds of PMs and emails.) I have enjoyed and appreciated Pinside since my first visit, but there have been times recently when name calling and outright scorn (over pinball preferences, no less) have seemed to predominate. Spirited disagreement is fine, even desirable, but how much finer is spirited cooperation?

I suppose I just want to say thanks for all of the positive energy exhibited this week. It has made something already good that much better. I won't ever think of Pinside in quite the same way. And when I look at that Tommy poster, I won't gaze at my name. I don't need it to know that I did my small part. What will be a joy is to read all those other names, formerly just Pinsiders, but now friends.

#41 10 years ago

You will never forget. Time will heal. Take it from someone that knows.

#42 10 years ago

Anything to help you through this difficult time. Hang in there and try to be strong.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

If we had to choose the single best Pinside post of all time, Don's would get my vote without a moment's hesitation. I reread it, made sure my wife read it, and I will print it out to read in the future.
    I am sure no one wants Pinside to turn into one big telethon, and so we are drawing this little campaign to a close. At the same time, let me remark--as others already have--on how affirming it has been to see the best in so many people. (I say that with the benefit of having read hundreds of PMs and emails.) I have enjoyed and appreciated Pinside since my first visit, but there have been times recently when name calling and outright scorn (over pinball preferences, no less) have seemed to predominate. Spirited disagreement is fine, even desirable, but how much finer is spirited cooperation?
    I suppose I just want to say thanks for all of the positive energy exhibited this week. It has made something already good that much better. I won't ever think of Pinside in quite the same way. And when I look at that Tommy poster, I won't gaze at my name. I don't need it to know that I did my small part. What will be a joy is to read all those other names, formerly just Pinsiders, but now friends.

Well said, Craig. Well said.

#44 10 years ago

I'll try to play a Tommy nearby!
    Thanks Don for sharing that story. I 'll make sure my sons read it.
    And Thanks Craig for organizing this.

#45 10 years ago

My heartfelt condolences to you Don for the loss of your son,I have two sons of my own and could not fathom the idea of losing either of them.I wish i could tell you that time will heal your pain,but I know it wont,I lost my dad nearly 40 years ago and I still cry every time i visit his grave,I haven't been on Pinside for a few days so I missed out on donating to your machine,although strangely I just purchased a tommy machine today which is what made log in.Every time I play it now I will think of you and your son.I hope you enjoy your machine and shoot a few high scores for your son and maybe leave it turned on when you go to bed so he can have a game too.Best of luck for the future for you and your family
    Deepest sympathy and best regards
    Bob

#46 10 years ago

I just wanted to let everybody know that I got together with some of my closest friends last night at my friend Ron's house for a barbecue. They invited me yesterday morning and while some times you just want to be left alone, I knew it was important for them to see me and my wife and daughter to see that we will be ok. Not much was mentioned about Tommy but towards the end of the night, I told them all the story of what took place here on pinside. I must say that they were all overwhelmed by the story and positively affected by what a wonderful act of human kindness you all bestowed upon their friend. Most of them had known Tommy since the day he was born or at least most of his life. They plan on doing some sort of dedication to Tommy at Fairview Lake YMCA Camp, probably at the basketball court where Tommy loved to play ball. I have worked there for the last 12 years and Tommy was a camper there and he also worked there for a few years as well. They all look forward to the arrival of the pinball machine, and of course, they all want one of the posters and are more than willing to pay for them. Thanks again for not only helping me and my family but my friends as well. "See me, Feel me, Touch me, Heal me"

#47 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing this story, Don. It makes me smile to imagine you and your friends playing Tommy in your basement. It's going to take a little while for the pin to get there, but that day is coming.

I am not quite sure how the poster and/or digital file will be distributed. That is being handled by "flashinstinct." Here is what he wrote in that thread:

"Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested in a copy with your name and address."

I am sure he will send an email to everyone who contacts him with more details once the poster is finished. (That will be soon, I think. We anticipate proofreading the names tonight or tomorrow.) He probably will also post updates on his thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-poster-who-wants-in

FYI to everyone else: I posted an important update this morning on the original fundraising thread:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-help-don-buy-that-tommy-in-memory-of-his-son/page/8
    I think a little celebration in the midst of sorrow is in order. Well done, Pinside!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thank-you-to-all-of-pinside-for-tommy-and-all-of-the-support and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.