Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by crwjumper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    87.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

While lots of us enthusiasts were dissapointed in the recent release promos for a myriad of reasons (myself included), I think we still owe you a big THANK YOU!!!! While I have zero experience in engineering or graphic arts, I am sure that it can be quite a difficult job to design a machine mechanically and aesthetically from scratch time and time again. I thank you for listening to your customer base and bringing us themes that we keep requesting. Thanks for the code updates in the last couple months. Thank you for charging forward and bringing new machines to us. I thought today how your whole team must feel at the negative feedback that this game has received in a short amount of time. I realize that you all have feelings too, and I bet you thought it would have been better received then it has. Hopefully the game play WOWS us all!! Thank you for doing your part to keep pinball alive, no matter the hits and misses along the way THANK YOU STERN.

#2 8 years ago

87.jpg87.jpg

#3 8 years ago

have to agree OP.
    I have ZERO interest in GOT. Never watched it - don't plan on ever watching it. Is the art to my liking? No. But i'm not on here harping about it all day. I'm not buying it.
    So is it people who pre ordered bitching about it? If you don't like it, move along. Why waste energy bashing Stern and the title?

And to your point of developing a pin - yes it's hard and a ton of work to develop a pin. I think some of the negativity is coming from the delays and expectations that weren't met with this title.

So, yes, thanks Stern for continuing to put of titles in a timely manner even if they sometimes fall short of expectations. I just wish they'd listen to the masses calling for an Iron Maiden pinball.

#4 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure many Pinsiders are engineers & graphic artists...

Still, thanks Stern for making cool games (I have a 100% Stern collection)

But please stop making expensive shitty incomplete stripped down ugly F'n games, because we won't buy em or put quarters into a janky pro on route missing code & a playfield.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

While lots of us enthusiasts were dissapointed in the recent release promos for a myriad of reasons (myself included), I think we still owe you a big THANK YOU!!!! While I have zero experience in engineering or graphic arts, I am sure that it can be quite a difficult job to design a machine mechanically and aesthetically from scratch time and time again. I thank you for listening to your customer base and bringing us themes that we keep requesting. Thanks for the code updates in the last couple months. Thank you for charging forward and bringing new machines to us. I thought today how your whole team must feel at the negative feedback that this game has received in a short amount of time. I realize that you all have feelings too, and I bet you thought it would have been better received then it has. Hopefully the game play WOWS us all!! Thank you for doing your part to keep pinball alive, no matter the hits and misses along the way THANK YOU STERN.

No. You can't have a discount on GOT.

#6 8 years ago

Stern makes a good game, but it is hard to sing too much praise when they are still in 1980s technology for display sand the prices are premium. I agree that it is probably very challenging to make a machine. BTW, Stern should send you a thank you for buying 6 new machines!

#7 8 years ago

"Thank you Stern for making me pay you thousands and thousands of dollars."

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

have to agree OP.
    I have ZERO interest in GOT. Never watched it - don't plan on ever watching it. Is the art to my liking? No. But i'm not on here harping about it all day. I'm not buying it.
    So is it people who pre ordered bitching about it? If you don't like it, move along. Why waste energy bashing Stern and the title?
    And to your point of developing a pin - yes it's hard and a ton of work to develop a pin. I think some of the negativity is coming from the delays and expectations that weren't met with this title.
    So, yes, thanks Stern for continuing to put of titles in a timely manner even if they sometimes fall short of expectations. I just wish they'd listen to the masses calling for an Iron Maiden pinball.

Yes YOU might have zero interest in GOT. But what about the other guys who this is a dream title for? The expectations were VERY high and they fell VERY short. You say you want Iron Maiden to be made? Well what if Stern finally DOES decide to make it and then they used some generic photoshopped BS "artwork" on the playfield instead of some badass Derek Riggs hand drawn Maiden theme?! It would be devastating!!! Also what if the Maiden backglass just had the band members standing there with blank faces posing for the camera? Lifeless, unaccepatable, lazy, uninspired design. And yes Stern does have some amazing titles out there right now that I would absolutly LOVE to own if I could afford them right now. hahah

#9 8 years ago

Bunch of lame ass people in pinball

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Bunch of lame ass people in pinball

Don't even get me started on the douchebaggery level around here.

#11 8 years ago

ST and TWD had lack luster starts...give it some time.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

gary?

#13 8 years ago

Was a dream theme for me as well. The difference between pro and prem/le not warranted. The ever increasing price points, ridiculous. Was going to buy one until I saw the releasees. Now I will save my cash, just like any of YOU can do. Dissapointed? Yep, extremely. But it is what it is and came to that conclusion last night. Artwork on pro is crap. Premium yet to be seen. LE, not terrible but could have been better. Play field definitely did not live up to expectations we all had for sure. At the end of the day, we will have another new pin to play and it may be fun as hell, just not designed the way we envisioned it. So, yes I still appreciate new titles even if they fall way short of what was anticipated.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Don't even get me started on the douchebaggery level around here.

I hope you never change your avatar because that day will be sad for me.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

... But what about the other guys who this is a dream title for? The expectations were VERY high and they fell VERY short. ....

and WHO set those expectations??
    Since this is the first time anybody has seen the art or playfield it certainly wasn't Stern. People built this up in their minds to be some sort of life altering purchase and now they are lashing out. I totally understand being disappointed in the end result and don't mind those who voice simple displeasure but the amount of teeth gnashing and anger is pathetic because it was based on an imagined reality.

I own and play pinball machines because I like pinball. I'm not a huge fan of some themes but love playing and/or owning those same machines anyway because they are fun to play. I laugh every time somebody says they won't own Mustang because *grunt* "I'm a chevy guy" ... silly to get so wrapped up in themes that you lose sight of the real objective (or so I thought) playing good pinball machines.
    If it is only about spending $7-8000 for a something pretty to impress friends well then those folks don't get any sympathy from me.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

and WHO set those expectations??
    Since this is the first time anybody has seen the art or playfield it certainly wasn't Stern. People built this up in their minds to be some sort of life altering purchase and now they are lashing out. I totally understand being disappointed in the end result and don't mind those who voice simple displeasure but the amount of teeth gnashing and anger is pathetic because it was based on an imagined reality.
    I own and play pinball machines because I like pinball. I'm not a huge fan of some themes but love playing and/or owning those same machines anyway because they are fun to play. I laugh every time somebody says they won't own Mustang because *grunt* "I'm a chevy guy" ... silly to get so wrapped up in themes that you lose sight of the real objective (or so I thought) playing good pinball machines.
    If it is only about spending $7-8000 for a something pretty to impress friends well then those folks don't get any sympathy from me.

You're totally right about us being the ones who set the expectations so high. I never planned on buying a GOT (just can't afford it right now) but I was very excited to see what they could do with this title. It has so much potential and cool stuff that you could accomplish. It's very frustrating because there are TONS of creative and talented people here on pinside that have so many good ideas to integrate into machines, artwork and even mods. And then you see something like GOT get pushed out and the WTF alarm goes off Hahahaha. I've seen multiple pinsiders in these recent threads "slap together" better art packages (using same characters) just to prove the WTF art design that it currently has. These are very expensive toys that keep going up in price so people rightfully so have high expectations and demand a lot more than is currently being pumped out. The music/sound/light package is going to be the determining factor now.

#17 8 years ago

I am not getting a GoT and am pretty disappointed with the whole thing, but you have to give this to Stern.. right now, from my distributor I could buy a ST, Mustang, Met, WNBJM, WWE, TWD, IMVE or KISS. And most of that line up is pretty darn good. I held off on TWD and was all set for GoT. To Stern's credit, I am a very good chance of reflex buying back into a TWD Prem. So, they miss with one, but have great bench strength to pick up and run. You have to grant them that.

#18 8 years ago

Yes YOU might have zero interest in GOT. But what about the other guys who this is a dream title for? The expectations were VERY high and they fell VERY short. You say you want Iron Maiden to be made? Well what if Stern finally DOES decide to make it and then they used some generic photoshopped BS "artwork" on the playfield instead of some badass Derek Riggs hand drawn Maiden theme?! It would be devastating!!! Also what if the Maiden backglass just had the band members standing there with blank faces posing for the camera? Lifeless, unaccepatable, lazy, uninspired design. And yes Stern does have some amazing titles out there right now that I would absolutly LOVE to own if I could afford them right now. hahah

seeing it from your point of view, I agree with you. I can see how you were very let down if this is a dream theme for you.
    you made your point well. I WOULD be devastated if they botched Maiden.

edit: just listened to Nate's C2C podcast and listening to his and his wifes review of the artwork of TRUE fans of the show I get the disappointment and feel for you guys.

#19 8 years ago

You're totally right about us being the ones who set the expectations so high. I never planned on buying a GOT (just can't afford it right now) but I was very excited to see what they could do with this title. It has so much potential and cool stuff that you could accomplish. It's very frustrating because there are TONS of creative and talented people here on pinside that have so many good ideas to integrate into machines, artwork and even mods. And then you see something like GOT get pushed out and the WTF alarm goes off Hahahaha. I've seen multiple pinsiders in these recent threads "slap together" better art packages (using same characters) just to prove the WTF art design that it currently has. These are very expensive toys that keep going up in price so people rightfully so have high expectations and demand a lot more than is currently being pumped out. The music/sound/light package is going to be the determining factor now.

Glad I didn't have to say it. Thanks!

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I am not getting a GoT and am pretty disappointed with the whole thing, but you have to give this to Stern.. right now, from my distributor I could buy a ST, Mustang, Met, WNBJM, WWE, TWD, IMVE or KISS. And most of that line up is pretty darn good. I held off on TWD and was all set for GoT. To Stern's credit, I am a very good chance of reflex buying back into a TWD Prem. So, they miss with one, but have great bench strength to pick up and run. You have to grant them that.

And 12 months later when the dust settles and the code on Game of Thrones is exceptional, you'll still be able to buy one brand new in box.....just don't expect them to be plentiful secondhand with the Aussie dollar the way it is.

....I too want to own The Walking Dead.

#21 8 years ago

It's the nature of the beast, people are complainers, never satisfied with what they have, always wanting it there way.
    I am just grateful that they keep making machines.
    Thank you Stern!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

Why waste energy bashing Stern and the title?

I think the purpose is so maybe they will try a little harder for the next title. We know they can't change GOTs art package but they do read pinside and maybe they will use a little more effort for the next one. The next one could even be a dream title for you.

#23 8 years ago

Thank you JJP, Heighway and Spooky! As Sterns marketshare is being reduced they will be forced to innovate and make improvements.

#24 8 years ago

To paraphrase DadofTwins says to Stern:

#25 8 years ago

I think some Pinsiders are so hard up for the Next new pin that Stern is pumping them out too fast to satisfy those "What's Next" people and not putting enough time into design. Buyers were dropping deposits on a machine without pics of the game. Shows the thirst for New and more, like buyers addiction. Ironically there are plenty of great used machines in the market that are not getting the attention they deserve, hence the treads about great games for $2500. Imo

#26 8 years ago

But what about the other guys who this is a dream title for?

They'll just have to continue sobbing in the corner of the room, sucking their thumbs.

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think the purpose is so maybe they will try a little harder for the next title. We know they can't change GOTs art package but they do read pinside and maybe they will use a little more effort for the next one. The next one could even be a dream title for you.

Exactly. I think it's important that it is made known to Stern that some of us potential customers won't stand for shoddy artwork/craftsmanship and they are losing dollars by not paying attention to those things. GoT was a dream theme for me, and I had the cash lined up for a Premium before I saw the photos. But the artwork on the playfield is a major letdown. I could not spend the kind of money they're asking for something that looks so bad. I hate to think how they will bungle Star Wars 7 if they get the license.

#28 8 years ago

Stern does deserve a big thanks because without them we get a new pinball machine what, every 5 years.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I just wish they'd listen to the masses calling for an Iron Maiden pinball

If Iron Maiden Wants a Pinball after there likeness . Bruce Dickenson himself would make Gary Stern produce one he is so imperious !!
    write to him,, better served

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:Stern does deserve a big thanks because without them we get a new pinball machine what, every 5 years.

Depends on your budget / If you have the money some on here have (jealous) You can buy the 4-6 titles they pump out a year / Including the Vaults in that # of course

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wyopinball:

It's the nature of the beast, people are complainers, never satisfied with what they have, always wanting it there way.
    I am just grateful that they keep making machines.
    Thank you Stern!

Most of these forums are full of hypercritical thinkers. However, I never judge a book by its cover. I am very excited to get my hands on GOTLe and mod the crap out of it! In fact, I am making a white walker mod as we speak with blue LED eyes! Question is where to place him?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Most of these forums are full of hypercritical thinkers. However, I never judge a book by its cover. I am very excited to get my hands on GOTLe and mod the crap out of it! In fact, I am making a white walker mod as we speak with blue LED eyes! Question is where to place him?

image.jpg

Make him a bash toy 3 inches directly in front of the flippers.

#32 8 years ago

If you think of how many pins came out in 90's from the different manufactures and how many are considered greatness then Stern is doing just fine in my opinion, GOT to me looks good and I'm loving the upper PF. If its not that great then big deal, play it on site somewhere then move on, or buy it if it blows you away. When I first started to collect a terrible pin by Pinside stats was released, that game was Tron, Iron man was also hated yet look at them now and the art in those 2 games isn't special by any means. I don't know why but GOT is just giving me a feeling that it will be amazing. I hope I'm right, I don't watch the show and thusly could give 2 shits about the art, looks fine to me. Gameplay is always king, only time will tell. My only complaint with Stern is pricing, I would rather they made one model with enough stuff to make us all happy and a more reasonable price.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

image.jpg

Well.....if u get the pro instead....

#34 8 years ago

I'm really looking forward to playing this game. Don't care for the show, so the artwork is unimportant to me. But I love pinball and this looks like it will be an awesome game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thank-you-stern-and-team and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.