• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by eabundy
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_12933-20160801_103156706586102.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eabundy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago

Just for kicks have you tried a different power supply? You stated you first swapped out the power supply upon your first failure and have had trouble ever since. It's probably unlikely but maybe the power supply is not working correctly under load.

1. Swap in a different known good power supply in there
2. I would replace the transistors and mini transistors in question
3. Cut the power wires to the coils that are associated with the blown out transistors.
4. Test coil ohms with wires cut, and diodes on the coils
5. Power up the game with those solenoids removed and see if anything blows.
6. Hopefully everything is still ok at this point, and then reconnect one solenoid coil at a time and power up after each one and test.

1 month later
#33 9 years ago

Check the transistor for that coil before installing the new one. I think you are on the right track.

#35 9 years ago

Does the transistor test bad after the coil locks on? You HAVE to have a short in that circuit. For fun (not really fun), remove the connector for that coil off the driver board. Then do a test wire for just that coil to see if it works ok. I'm fairly sure you have somebad wiring either on the connector, the pins on the driver, possibly a jumped solder pad at the transistor for that coil.

Side note, possibly easier. Have you swapped in a different main board and or PPB board that is known good? At least then you can chase it backwards from there. Hopefully it tests fine with different boards. If not then that tells me it's a wiring issue / short.

Also have you retested the voltages at the coil and at all the test points? Could you have an over voltage situation?

Any acid damage to your main board? So sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with it.

8 months later
#37 8 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Does the transistor test bad after the coil locks on? You HAVE to have a short in that circuit. For fun (not really fun), remove the connector for that coil off the driver board. Then do a test wire for just that coil to see if it works ok. I'm fairly sure you have some bad wiring either on the connector, the pins on the driver, possibly a jumped solder pad at the transistor for that coil.

Glad I was correct with the jumped solder pad on the driver Congrats on the fix.

8 months later
#43 7 years ago

Blown transistor, easy fix.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

That's what I would assume in this situation, but her and I have a past.... Starting to feel like Groundhog Day to me..

You probably had a weak power supply, got some sort of voltage spike and that took it out. Most likely same cause of all the problems you had earlier. Replacing the power supply should help.

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Ok, pulled board, tested Q44 along with Q36 (shooter coil trannys), then both rows of transistors and drivers... All are in spec, all reading similar. Also put one lead to tab of each tranny and ground, no shorts..
Found bad Q5 on PPB, replaced
Played two games, "appears" fine

I meant to tell you to also test the PPB board, along with reflowing solder there, just my A.D.D didn't co-operate.

#55 7 years ago

Making pinball great again, one er.. one transistor at a time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eabundy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-woes-help?tu=eabundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.