• 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141207_143554.jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I just sold a game and am looking to replace it with a different title. I think I have narrowed it down to two different titles: Tales from the Crypt and Judge Dredd. I have played both a little, but not extensively. I know they are both good, but wanted some opinions on which to go with; even though I don't think I could go wrong with either one.

I really like the Superpin widebodys, JD would look nice next to my Demolition Man. I just watched a video on Tales from the Crypt. I really like when a jackpot is scored that someone gets sawed in half on the DMD with a chainsaw, but I think the constant cackling laugh of the Crypt Keeper may get on my nerves.

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Crypt Keeper's cackling gets really old, really fast. JD is fast, has lots of shots and good theme integration. JD has been called out by many people as one of the best remaining bang-for-the-buck pins.

Bottom line, it really is a matter of personal preference. Play them both again and see what you like best.

#3 9 years ago

Have both and like them both. If I had to choose I would go with Dredd. No wait TFTC. Oh crap I can't decide. Sorry no help from me.

#4 9 years ago

JD hands down TFTC is just ok

#5 9 years ago

As far as the cackling laugh on TFTC, chadh is working to fix that.

#6 9 years ago

Had both and I would get a JD again and wouldn't get a TFTC again unless it was really really cheap. I thought TFTC DMD was cool but the game got old really fast. New people did always seem to gravitate to TFTC though.

#7 9 years ago

I had TFTC, and I loved it for what it was. That being said, it was to me a one-trick pony. The jackpot is easily the best moment in the game. After that, you have two ramps that seem to do NOTHING for you outside of multiballs. Some insert lights turn on, and that's it. No major rewards to speak of. It's like the code was unfinished...

I like how unique the art was, and the fact that the art was very true to the source material. Cryptkeeper was awesome, and to disable his cackling, all you have to do is pull one crimped wire off of the switches at the ramp entrances. Once you do that, FAR LESS cackling.

The modes were "meh" with the exception of electric chair multiball - that animation was awesome along with the previously mentioned multiball jackpot.

I'd be very interested in what JD has to offer. Then again, it is just a $1400 game.... *sarcasm, folks. just sarcasm! Don't shoot!*

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Crypt Keeper's cackling gets really old, really fast. JD is fast, has lots of shots and good theme integration. JD has been called out by many people as one of the best remaining bang-for-the-buck pins.
Bottom line, it really is a matter of personal preference. Play them both again and see what you like best.

I believe that call out on Dredd and the price rise is definitely evidence of that. That's a good point on playing both of them again, I know a guy who has both of them in his basement, just need to get him to invite me over to play them! LOL

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I believe that call out on Dredd and the price rise is definitely evidence of that. That's a good point on playing both of them again, I know a guy who has both of them in his basement, just need to get him to invite me over to play them! LOL

Really now.....?

Local to the Cincy-Dayton area?

I thought the TFTC I owned was the only one local to our area ._. .....

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Really now.....?
Local to the Cincy-Dayton area?
I thought the TFTC I owned was the only one local to our area ._. .....

Yep, they are about ten feet from each other in his basement. Another reason I like TFTC and JD is he is the only one that I know of that has either one of them; both good games and rarely seen in collections compared to the big names: MB, MM, ACDC, TAF, TZ, IJ, etc, which I like all of those also, but way out of my price range.

Post edited by pindude80

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

compared to the big names: MB, MM, ACDC, TAF, TZ, IJ, etc, which I like all of those two, but way out of my price range.

Sloppy sloppy....you have TAF in your collection .

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Sloppy sloppy....you have TAF in your collection .

I know and I love TAF, but have played the wheels off of it. I like the bang for the buck sleepers that you don't see all the time, like Dirty Harry, or maybe I just like them because they are the only games I can afford

#13 9 years ago

I've owned both. Couldn't wait to get rid of TFTC. The mode start scoop was too hard to hit IMO. I miss dredd though. That is an awesome game and doesn't get enough love. I vote Dredd on this one. Best of luck with your decision.

#14 9 years ago

Own a mint dredd played alot of tftc and dredd isnt going anywhere and wouldn't want tftc in my collection unless picked up really cheap . People are starting to figure out that dredd is a great game and the price is slowly creeping up there cant wait for color dmd for it to take it to the next level. Jd is probably the most played at my house and many people that have come over now own it or are still trying to purchase mine lol so that should say something.

#15 9 years ago

Tftc is my first and only machine, as you can imagine that means I've played alot of games on it in a short while. I like the multiball, the jackpots are good. The super jackpot is difficult, i still haven't gotten the monster. As for modes, though it is difficult to hit the scoop, there are a couple of good ones (werewolf, frightmare, thunderstorm), some great ones (electric chair multiball, super guillotine, robbing the crypt). Playing all modes gets Crypt jam which is difficult to get to, but gives something to work toward. The fast goring modes (right ramp) are hard to start, but can get good points.

As for aesthetics, tftc has a good theme (imo) with good artwork true to the source material. The call outs are good, if you like (or don't mind) cheesy puns. The cackle has never gotten on my nerves, and like I said I've played it alot.

The one big problem I have is the gimme multiball, and the scoop difficulty can be frustrating.

That said, the prophecies speak of a chosen one born to hack the rom, fix some issues and fill out/improve the rule set.

Tldr: I like Tftc (though Stockholm syndrome may be in play at this point)

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from holmstarrunner:

Has this been officially announced? I know on the last Coast2Coast pinball podcast Nate quickly mentioned it, but I haven't heard anything else. Chad's update to Star Wars is amazing. This alone makes me want to pick up a TFTC.

#17 9 years ago

Dredd by a loooooooooooong shot!

#18 9 years ago

Um, you can just disconnect the switch at the entrance of the left ramp if you don't like the constant cackle. It does not affect the jackpot functionality at all. It awards something like 50,000 pts. but who cares.

#19 9 years ago

I have owned both as well. Can't wait to have both back in the collection when space is not an issue. I give the edge to Dredd as well. Amazing shots and theme. Wireforms for days. TFTC is an excellent game as well. I never got annoyed by the Keeper but I can see how that would wear on someone. Tough call. Both are excellent choices

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from holmstarrunner:

Never bugs me and don't understand why people throw this out as a big complain. Every game has references that repeat over and over. Remember when we played Nintendo games and the bad guy shooting bullets at you was in the same place every time, just like those same 3rd person shooting games of today which I don't play or like but believe they fixed that now in versions to be different, oh well enough on that you know what I mean. Put some metal music on and rock while playing and your never here it. As far as comparing the two there way different. JD has so much more in it and TFTC is great for everything you can get in one pin for that range for a DE. But I seem to like DM over JD as the playfield is not as hidden with the ramps like on JD.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ktrain315:

Has this been officially announced? I know on the last Coast2Coast pinball podcast Nate quickly mentioned it, but I haven't heard anything else. Chad's update to Star Wars is amazing. This alone makes me want to pick up a TFTC.

Check out the TFTC club and look at the last couple pages. Updated code was being tested at expo.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/28

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

People are starting to figure out that dredd is a great game and the price is slowly creeping up there

My thought exactly! I better grab one now while I can since the price keeps rising!

Quoted from bigd1979:

cant wait for color dmd for it to take it to the next level.

Definitely would be awesome! Have they announced or hinted that they will be releasing it?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Um, you can just disconnect the switch at the entrance of the left ramp if you don't like the constant cackle. It does not affect the jackpot functionality at all. It awards something like 50,000 pts. but who cares.

People care because it's only worth 50 000 during regular play. During certain modes like crypt jam and play the organ it's worth up to 2 million on failed ramp shots so it's worth it to leave it hooked up.

#24 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I grew up in the 80s/90s being a big fan of the cheesy horror movies of the time so I definitely like that, but I think I'm going to have to go with my gut and what it sounds like the consensus is and go with Dredd. If I can't find one in the next few weeks I have an offer on a TFTC and don't think I will be disappointed that I got one, but it may not be a keeper, we'll see.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and feel free to keep contributing to this thread.

Thanks!

#25 9 years ago

JD is awesome and a different kind of game. Love being able to pick your modes to start. I have never had a problem with optos or the crane on mine and have had it for maybe eight years. I like DE games love LAH. TFTC is fun but as others have said is shallower and may grate on you after a bit, but defiantly fun.

#26 9 years ago

Tough call. I've owned both and liked them both, but they weren't keepers. Both are funny, that's for sure. TFTC has annoying and repetitive callouts, but I'm also not real big on widebodies so I dunno. All things being equal I'm picking Williams over DE, but both are good pins.

#27 9 years ago

One more vote for JD. TFTC theme does nothing for me.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

People care because it's only worth 50 000 during regular play. During certain modes like crypt jam and play the organ it's worth up to 2 million on failed ramp shots so it's worth it to leave it hooked up.

That switch does not award those shots, the upper ramp switch does.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

cant wait for color dmd for it to take it to the next level

Has it confirmed that they are making a color DMD for Dredd?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

That switch does not award those shots, the upper ramp switch does.

Yes it does...You can go check for yourself. I've already tested it. During play the organ (every switch is worth 1 million) hitting the ramp entrance will award 1 million points, if the ball makes it part way up and heads back down you will be awarded another 1 million. Same is true for all the frenzy hurry up modes. Living dead = 250k per hit, chainsaw = 500k, grave digger = 750k.

#31 9 years ago

No conformation on color dmd but eventually all pins will have them especially for the more popular titles that aren't done yet tz, jd and many others I have a sigma in my tz and its pretty sweet thinking of doing it for jd also.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Yes it does...You can go check for yourself. I've already tested it. During play the organ (every switch is worth 1 million) hitting the ramp entrance will award 1 million points, if the ball makes it part way up and heads back down you will be awarded another 1 million. Same is true for all the frenzy hurry up modes. Living dead = 250k per hit, chainsaw = 500k, grave digger = 750k.

So how many points would you receive for a full ramp shot? 3 million?... 1mil. for ramp entrance switch, 1mil. for middle ramp switch, and 1mil. for the inlane switch? Regardless if the entrance switch is connected, you will still receive 2 mil. points for a successful shot to the ramp. I will confirm this tonight. If your statement is true, you would get 2 mil instead of 3 for a complete ramp shot if the entrance sw is disabled. Correct? If that's true, I'm ok with it.

I didn't think that "every switch" awards points during that mode. Otherwise, the start switch, ball launch switch, and shooter lane switch would award points. Correct?

I know for CERTAIN that during frenzy hurry up modes, that an award is given when the 2nd ramp switch is tripped. Not trying to say any of this really matters. Wouldn't you want to shoot for pops during the frenzy mode(s).

I always wondered why the second ramp switch is on the game. I assumed it was in case the ramp entrance switch fails to work. I have seen a lot of those switches not working or, the assembly completely destroyed over the years on TFTC play fields.

#33 9 years ago

I said I want the JD so let's quit arguing about the ramp entrance "cackle" switch, and find me a nice Judge Dredd in Cincinnati for a cheap price!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

So how many points would you receive for a full ramp shot? 3 million?... 1mil. for ramp entrance switch, 1mil. for middle ramp switch, and 1mil. for the inlane switch? Regardless if the entrance switch is connected, you will still receive 2 mil. points for a successful shot to the ramp. I will confirm this tonight. If your statement is true, you would get 2 mil instead of 3 for a complete ramp shot if the entrance sw is disabled. Correct? If that's true, I'm ok with it.
I didn't think that "every switch" awards points during that mode. Otherwise, the start switch, ball launch switch, and shooter lane switch would award points. Correct?
I know for CERTAIN that during frenzy hurry up modes, that an award is given when the 2nd ramp switch is tripped. Not trying to say any of this really matters. Wouldn't you want to shoot for pops during the frenzy mode(s).
I always wondered why the second ramp switch is on the game. I assumed it was in case the ramp entrance switch fails to work. I have seen a lot of those switches not working or, the assembly completely destroyed over the years on TFTC play fields.

Yes clearly not EVERY switch is awarded, it's pretty safe to say the flipper switches are also not included in that haha. The second ramp switch is so that the game can determine which ramp the ball originated from and whether or not to award the trick shot. I haven't tested what a full ramp shot awards and unfortunately I folded my game up in prep for moving so I can't check it out now. I'm not sure if the second ramp switch normally scores any points or is simply to identify where the ball came from.
@OP - sorry

#35 9 years ago

JD has better sound, animation, and art. TFTC has better gameplay. It's a toss up for me.

#36 9 years ago

I like my tftc. I love that it's very difficult to beat with all the modes, etc. The crypt keeper isn't a big deal imo. Also, it's just about to be revised code wise.

Dredd I didn't like. Just seemed too cluttered and too much going on on the pf for me. I have more time on tftc though.

#37 9 years ago

I like my tftc. I love that it's very difficult to beat with all the modes, etc. The crypt keeper isn't a big deal imo. Also, it's just about to be revised code wise.

Dredd I didn't like. Just seemed too cluttered and too much going on on the pf for me. I have more time on tftc though.

#38 9 years ago

If you absolutely love the TFTC theme go with that. If you are only soso on the theme go with JD.

#39 9 years ago

Dredd rocks.

Trudeau rulez.

20141207_143554.jpg20141207_143554.jpg
#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

JD has better sound, animation, and art. TFTC has better gameplay. It's a toss up for me.

Huh? To each his own, but I think JD is far deeper and has better gameplay. The upper right flipper to ramp shot is not easy and without it, you can't progress or score well. Getting through all the Judges is far harder (to me) than getting through TFTC modes. But, again, to each his own. That's what makes this hobby fun!

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Huh? To each his own, but I think JD is far deeper and has better gameplay. The upper right flipper to ramp shot is not easy and without it, you can't progress or score well. Getting through all the Judges is far harder (to me) than getting through TFTC modes. But, again, to each his own. That's what makes this hobby fun!

LOL!! You could disable the upper right flipper and score as good with it than without it. Seriously. I found JD easier than TFTC. Getting through the judges on multiball and making Final Battle happened fairly regularly for me. Fun game though don't get me wrong. I just like TFTC as good as it.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL!! You could disable the upper right flipper and score as good with it than without it. Seriously. I found JD easier than TFTC. Getting through the judges on multiball and making Final Battle happened fairly regularly for me. Fun game though don't get me wrong. I just like TFTC as good as it.

So beating all the judges gives you another mode? Ive never beaten all them but didn't know about another mode my dredd kicks my butt and im not a bad player guess every machine is different mine is like new and plcys ridiculously fast

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

U mean getting threw all mode and playing ultimate challenge?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U mean getting threw all mode and playing ultimate challenge?

Yes. Beating the four judges in multiball gives you a 4 ball "final battle". Getting through the modes gets you a 6 ball "final battle". By Final Battle I mean Ultimate Challenge.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes. Beating the four judges in multiball gives you a 4 ball "final battle". Getting through the modes gets you a 6 ball "final battle". By Final Battle I mean Ultimate Challenge.

Ok cool I thought I was missing a mode or something thax for the clarification

#46 9 years ago

The goal is to get to both Ultimate Challenges in the same game.

#47 9 years ago

Is 4 judges in multiball just 4 jackpots? you have to drop 2 targets covering the hole and hit the hole and do that 4 times over and that's it?

While very humorous and often unconventional in layout I find one real flaw (not a flaw per se, just that I find it too simple) with Trudeau games - simple multiball. Simple jackpot shot, simple super, no doubles, double supers, changing shots, stages....
In flintstones it's center lane for jackpot, left flipper shot for super and super is unbalancing (you even get it set up with jackpot shot)
In Congo regular multiball, it's left ramp all the way, right ramp is hard to hit and redundant, can't remember if its this mb that has mineshaft for super.

as a neutral observer, I analyzed both games for a potential purchase, and while I find judge dredd them, artwork, music, flipper layout, super game and price better, TFTC still seems like a game with a tad better rules and better used estate.

#48 9 years ago

Let's get this thread fired back up!

What is fair price on a Judge Dredd in fair condition. Just your average routed game that isn't beat into the ground, but not collector quality either, with the topper if that matters, doesn't matter to me.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

What is fair price on a Judge Dredd in fair condition.

$1400

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Let's get this thread fired back up!
What is fair price on a Judge Dredd in fair condition. Just your average routed game that isn't beat into the ground, but not collector quality either, with the topper if that matters, doesn't matter to me.

$1800 seems more than fair for that condition.

The only thing I wish JD had was a deeper multiball. I also find myself regularly completing it and getting to the 4 ball Ultimate Challenge. Now if the Mulitiball UT and the Mode UT were a bit more different than just the number of balls you get, that would be nice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 18.95
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
(Alt) Translites
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-vs-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.