PXL_20220204_011530934 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220208-120358.png
Screenshot 2022-02-08 111711 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-08 111445 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-08 110513 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220206_231257492.MP (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220130-154234.png
#1 2 years ago

just purchased a TFTC. last owner did a lot of work. playfield replaced, all new leds, new power board, lots of mods and pinstadium lighting. everything looks and works great but when getting the pin home and after playing a few games noticed the crypt tombstone doesnt go up or down. looked under the hood and checked for loose wires etc and everything seems good. took the motor and switch assembly apart and nothing broken etc. did the tombstone test in diagnostics and switches for up, down, target all working and when holding start button still no movement on the motor - even tripped the switches manually with no luck. took the whole motor assembly off again and did the test with assembly resting on the side of the machine and with lever removed (lever that couples to motor shaft) tripped the switches manually and watched the motor shaft with no load on it and it did not rotate at all when hitting the start button during the tombstone test. disconnected leads going to motor and did the test again - measured the voltage across the leads and got zero. so after all this i am thinking there is no signal from cpu / relay. i have no idea where the signal is coming from on the board and i am hoping one of u tftc pros can guide me where to measure the signal coming from the board in the backbox and or point me in the right direction at this point.

#2 2 years ago

Looks like Q24 on the CPU board activates a relay that drives the motor for the tombstone. Q24 leads to connector CN12 pin 8 of the CPU board, brown-violet wire. From there, I would follow the wire to the relay...I would imagine the relay is probably on a little board under the playfield somewhere, but I'm not sure. Check page 33 of the manual for this chart:

Screenshot_20220130-154234.pngScreenshot_20220130-154234.png
#3 2 years ago

The ground pin was sheared off on the power cable that plugs into wall. I wonder if that can be related? I'm wondering if happened over the yrs of slugging it around and no one replaced or was a ground problem and someone did it deliberately. Gonna fasten new plug with ground pin and see what happens. Thanx for ur post and will trace circuit as per your schematic

#4 2 years ago

Cord missing the ground prong is probably not related, but I would definitely fix that anyway.

Looks like the relay will feed 20 (28? print is a little hard to read) volts AC to the tombstone motor. Did you check for AC volts at the motor when you were testing earlier?

#5 2 years ago

Cold solder joints on the relay itself and wire connections.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Cord missing the ground prong is probably not related, but I would definitely fix that anyway.
Looks like the relay will feed 20 (28? print is a little hard to read) volts AC to the tombstone motor. Did you check for AC volts at the motor when you were testing earlier?

yes i had the whole motor assembly off the under side of playing field and did the tombstone test. disconnected the leads going to the motor and checked for 24 vac across leads. measured zero. i still havent had a chance to get into the back box and trace the output as per the schematic you posted. hopefully get to it tonight.

#7 2 years ago

okay so here is the latest. i found the relay board. was underneath the playing field. its a lil misleading as the blue wire on the relay board goes to connector that has the brown & violet wire on the other side. so the blue is actually brown and violet coming from cn12 connector on the cpu which is Q24 on attached schematic. also confusing that the relay board is labelled grn +2b dry nc coil. doesnt match the schematic. i measured across ground and coil and there is 24 vac there all the time. when i measured across the blue and red wires it is 0 all the time (measured for dc there as per schematic).

another thing i noticed that there is corrosion on the cn12 connector which is where tombstone up and down signal is coming from cpu. see attached snip of the cpu / cn12 connector - brown/violet wire on pin 8 of the connector. also pic showing the corrosion on cn 12 connector from leaky battery holder.

im not a electrical wizz. just know enough to be dangerous but talked to electrician and he told me to measure dc volts across the red wire to ground and the same with brown and violet - not ground on the relay board but somewhere in the cabinet. he said i should measure 32v when no signal for tombstone movement and then brown and violet should go to zero when tombstone movement so the 32 vdc can flow thru the relay and throw the switch.

he also said i should just start with removing the connector cn12 and clean or replace as the corrosion could be causing the problem which makes sense.

any thoughts pinner pros? should i do some more voltage checks? if so do i follow instructions above or different route? where do i find a dc ground to measure as instructions above? should cn12 just pull off the cpu so i can inspect connector? tried to pull it and was super tight. is there a trick to pulling the connector?

any help would be so appreciated as this table looks amazing and plays amazing but only problem is this tombstone is not going up and down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PXL_20220206_231257492.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20220206_231257492.MP (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 110513 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 110513 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 111445 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 111445 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 111711 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-02-08 111711 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

Can you post more pics of the cpu board. That corrosion sounds very bad. I assume the previous owner said everything has been working at their house?

#9 2 years ago

Agree with @Boat, corrosion sounds like a very possible culprit...in fact I think I see some of that blue/green battery leakage/corrosion on the connector you posted. That would probably explain why it's so difficult to get the connector to pull off...(there's no trick for pulling that connector, it should simply pull off like any other connector on the board)
Screenshot_20220208-120358.pngScreenshot_20220208-120358.png

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Can you post more pics of the cpu board. That corrosion sounds very bad. I assume the previous owner said everything has been working at their house?

yeah the table was pristine and very pretty. he was huge collector with 20 tables and nice guy. i asked him everything works right i dont have to pull the glass and do a switch test? he said everything in working order. we played a bit and everything seemed to work great. my first used table and am stern guy so didnt know any diagnostics anyways on the data east when i made the purchase - but lesson learned glass gets pulled every time now - switch and coil test!

there is only corrosion on battery holder and cn12 connector and only affected output is the tombstone q24 as the pin beside it is not used. board looks good other than those 2 spots.

PXL_20220204_011530934 (resized).jpgPXL_20220204_011530934 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

It seems like you found your issue, likely need to replace that connector, as well as those components with the corrosion. Typically you would pull the board and inspect the back for anymore corrosion.

You say the board looks good but the corrosion can seep unseen and wreak havoc. You would want to send the board to a professional to remediate .

I know you said you are new but corrosion is no joke, if you paid a pretty penny for that game then I would suggest the seller covers the costs for the repair but that depends on their integrity.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

It seems like you found your issue, likely need to replace that connector, as well as those components with the corrosion. Typically you would pull the board and inspect the back for anymore corrosion.
You say the board looks good but the corrosion can seep unseen and wreak havoc. You would want to send the board to a professional to remediate .
I know you said you are new but corrosion is no joke, if you paid a pretty penny for that game then I would suggest the seller covers the costs for the repair but that depends on their integrity.

thanx for your input. i will investigate the connector and board as per your comments. problem is we are having such fun with the table currently will be hard to shut her down for a couple weeks to investigate and repair ive got brand new munsters sitting beside TFTC and everyone goes to tales while poor munster sits in attract mode.

and yes i overpaid for the table for sure will go back to the seller and see what he has to say......im guessing no response but u never know. lesson learned for the next one.

thanx again everyone !!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-tombstone-not-going-up-and-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.