(Topic ID: 199831)

TFTC Switch Matrix Issue: Any help is greatly appreciated!

By davebart5

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.00 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.13 PM (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I’m having an issue with my TFTC's switch matrix. I know the series of things you need to do, to make the errors happen, but I just can't figure this one out. I don't have any other issues with the machine, and the game's mechanics play flawlessly.

All connectors have been reseated, inspected and none look burned. All diodes appear to be correctly installed and I can’t find any broken wires. Now, I could've missed something, so perhaps there's a specific place I should really investigate further.

The game has original boards, with the exception of the PPB, which has recently been replaced with the XPin version.

Here's what's happening mid-game or in a switch test...

1.) When the left spinner is activated and I hit both flippers while it's spinning, the captive ball switch activates

2.) When the right spinner is activated and I hit both flippers while it's spinning, the right ramp exit switch activates

3.) When the ball is in the power scoop and I hit both flippers, the middle spinner is activated

The common denominator is hitting both flippers during those moments and that's what makes things act up, and it just so happens those exact switches are all in the same quadrant of the overall matrix. Two pics attached below show the entire switch matrix, and that quadrant of switches in question.

Thanks for any help, anyone can offer.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.13 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.13 PM (resized).png

#2 6 years ago

I'm thinking it's not the flipper EOS here, as much as it is the vibration from the flippers. If you're 100 percent positive no switch diodes are messed up, look for any area where white-violet and white-grey are next to each other physically. The trough is a good example. Look for any wear or insulation breaks.

There's also a chance it could be your cpu. It may have a short between rows 6 and 7 that's intermittent. Sadly, the short may be inside the chip, so you'll never see it. Still, it's worth looking at the switch return area on your cpu to make sure everything looks good. It's above the plug with all the white wires.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

I'm thinking it's not the flipper EOS here, as much as it is the vibration from the flippers. If you're 100 percent positive no switch diodes are messed up, look for any area where white-violet and white-grey are next to each other physically. The trough is a good example. Look for any wear or insulation breaks.
There's also a chance it could be your cpu. It may have a short between rows 6 and 7 that's intermittent. Sadly, the short may be inside the chip, so you'll never see it. Still, it's worth looking at the switch return area on your cpu to make sure everything looks good. It's above the plug with all the white wires.

Thank you for the feedback here. I'm always doing more and more inspections of the diodes and wires, as I could've missed something through the various run throughs. Let me double check that again tonight and look for those wires specifically.

What gets me is that it always happens when both buttons are pushed without fail, and when a ball drains and it's running through the music and processing scores for that ball, if I hit the flipper buttons together, it makes the call out occur "you axed for it" like it would for the captive ball, and the flippers don't flip when I do that during that time.

I'll go through tonight and look for the wires, diodes and look at the CPU. Can't hurt to keep looking for errors. Again, thank you for the response!

#4 6 years ago

No problem. It's got to be a short, and not just a malfunction, because the rows both activate each other. Try shaking the machine while the spinner is going, and see if that makes the switch weirdness happen as well.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

No problem. It's got to be a short, and not just a malfunction, because the rows both activate each other. Try shaking the machine while the spinner is going, and see if that makes the switch weirdness happen as well.

Ahhh great idea! I'll get the spinner spinning and try to replicate it with movement. Looking forward to digging back in tonight with these suggestions.

#6 6 years ago

Just an update here, I tested the shaking method, spinning the spinner and then moving the machine and hitting certain areas to make the errors occur, and I couldn't replicate it.

Tonight I'm going to dig in further to check any and all wires. I did find a connector with what appears to be an operator's "quick fix", as it's clear they didn't want to or know how to re-pin a connector, and put some solder down on white/violet wire and a white/brown wire that must have come out of the connector housing.

I'll post pics and location of that connector this evening. That's the only thing that looks off at the moment.

#7 6 years ago

This is a great example of a TFTC as I have played this one several times & am a big fan of this game, good luck on your hunt

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

This is a great example of a TFTC as I have played this one several times & am a big fan of this game, good luck on your hunt

Thanks man!

1 year later
#9 5 years ago

Sorry to dig this up but did you ever resolve it? Having this exact issue with a Baywatch and at a loss on where to go next...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 64.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-switch-matrix-issue-any-help-is-greatly-appreciated?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.