Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by joe2012
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shoot_again.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

STORY: long version.

Hey guys I am looking to you for knowledge of parts and expertise.

I have TFTC and the lower right flipper was in a bind and only flipping part way up and then stopping.

I took it apart and found some alignment issues both at the end of the linkage being sloppy and the depth at which the shaft was set in the PF. I also checked plungers, arms and coil stops and all look very good outside of some gunk which I cleaned up. I readjusted both alignment issues and the flipper has full power and flips all the way up with full range... But at the end of the flip it sticks in up position for a fraction of a second and falls on its own accord. I checked contact of EOS via DMM and adjusted the open gap to aprox 3mm. No change. I then proceeded to swap the diode and band and wires all oriented the same as I took pictures to be sure. Here is the NOOB move. I got in a hurry mounted it back up and forgot to clip the diode end leads :/ I blew 5A slow blow F5 on PPB board. I removed solenoid and clipped leads that were shorting now against the backing plate. I replaced the fuse and turned machine on pressed start and flipper went to up position. I turned it off and it fell. I rechecked above things. Realized that the gap was not right on the second set of leaf switches at the flipper button. I am sure this was me messing with things. I fixed this and flipper is now just dead it does not go up on startup but does not fire either. I then moved to the under PF flipper control board on the left side of the cabinet. It also blew 3A slow blow fuse F1 so I replaced this and checked all above again. No change. I then looked through the schematic and could not figure out for the life of me if A,B,C flipper was lower right flipper so I followed the line on switch B and swapped out Q12 on flipper board 2n3096. I then realized the one I pulled tests fine
Still the same result when everything installed. Note: I did not mess up the left flipper it is still good with new component. I then noticed a second reference chart on page 84 of the manual that stated which flipper was A (right),B (left),C (upper right)
(damn digital copies)

QUESTION:
1. Am I on the right track? lol
2. Are the following driver transistors correct?
Right flipper(A) driver Q6
Left flipper(B) driver Q12
Upper right flipper(C) NAND gate into Q18

3. Should I replace anything more than the correct driver transistor on the flipper driver board Q12?
4. Anything else to check or replace while I am elbows deep?

Thanks and sorry it got really long winded.

#2 9 years ago

Heading to get more transistors. Parts run bump any thoughts?

#3 9 years ago

Ok changed out 3A slow blow again and replaced Q6 as well.

Now when I turn it on and start a game the flipper moves to up position and stays until power off aprox 2-3seconds.

Any Ideas

#5 9 years ago

turning off makes it drop. I am thinking of removing diode and solenoid from circuit again and retesting. I am thinking either diode, low power on solenoid or maybe there is something else driving it besides Q6..

I turn machine on and it finishes boot up.

I press start then
1st target bank resets
2nd right flipper goes up
3rd ball shoots into shooter lane

left flip worked last time before changing things the right button made upper right work but lower right stays up position until power off. At this point it is surely electrical and not the original issue at all. I do not want to do anything at this point but turn on observe for maybe 3 seconds and turn it off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Trying to sell or workout trade and then this happened great timing as always

#6 9 years ago

Ordered new coil

Thanks for all your help

#7 9 years ago

new coil and diode installed no change.

Turn game on and goes through boot no problem.

Press start and right flipper goes up and stays up until power off.

Ideas? Been fighting this for a week.... anyone?

#8 9 years ago

bump ideas?

#11 9 years ago

thank you I might have to look into that next.
Any other ideas bump bump

#14 9 years ago

Hey Joe any chance you can confirm which transistor?
As stated above I already changed them. I know it is a little much for most to read but I just wanted to give all details.

As for the solder I already re-soldered to start then to change first diode then to change out with new solenoid and diode. I also checked spacing and continuity on EOS as well as re-solder for good measure.

Thank you both for ideas anything helps.

Bump for more info and ideas.

#16 9 years ago

I did replace q6 and q12 but both were located on the flipper board. I will recheck both. I did not check q3 so I will do that. thanks again all who had suggestions.

#18 9 years ago

Looks like q3 is testing bad. Go J.O.E knowing is half the battle

All mentioned transistors are located on the flipper driver board mounted inside the cabinet on the left side below the PF.

So my error it looks so far was replacing the
low power (signal) transistor Q6,12,18 (2n3096)
not the high power (driver) transistor. Q3,10,16 (TIP36C)

Q3 should do the trick I will make it to the store tomorrow and swap this part out.

I will report back here so hopefully no one else will make my same mistake.

Thanks again for all of your help

Hopefully tomorrow I will play some pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shoot_again.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-right-flipper-issue?tu=shoot_again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.