image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2553 6 years ago

Got my first pin and what do you know. Tales from the crypt. Love the game but am having all kinds of issues and with this being my first pin I know next to nothing. Hoping there are some enthusiast of this machine who know it inside and out to learn from on this board. I'd like to become an expert at both repairs and gameplay. Childhood dream.

#2554 6 years ago

Just to clarify some issues I'm having:

-flippers don't work but show up proper in switch test. Same with the plunger. Flippers will activated the kicker behind the tomb Stone to rise and lower slowly if held in. We think we traced it to a bridge rectifier bad in the negatives.

- right flipper extends further/too far when the flipper is working.

- I believe the mylar is causing the ball to do funny things as in slow direction change or change direction. Table is leveled and ball only does so with the mylar.

- speakers have a crackling in them when ever any sounds starts to come out. Only happened when I unplugged and replugged in some connectors on the back of the dot matrix and sound board.

I'm sure there are a few more issues but that's all I can think of for right now. Have been able to figure out a few things on my own but a little stuck with the flipper issue. Also tend to hear no payum no gameum all the time even on free play. Could hit menu button or flippers or what ever. It's non stop.

What to become an expert at trouble shooting. Would appreciate any advice.

#2557 6 years ago

Thanks boat! Appreciate it and thanks for taking the time to ask. Here is best description I can give. If you need more info let me know.

- flippers do not flip when button is hit. Instead the kicker behind the tombstone moves up and down slowly and only when the buttons are held down.

- switch tests were done and all came back verifying I was hitting the flippers so it seems to not be a wiring issue.

- diode test was done on the bridge rectifier and we found out negative numbers seemed to be off.

-other issues happened before this where the game was still playable and it was more small potatoes. Not directly related to the flippers. Ex. One of the switches that showed on the diagram as not being active would show on switch test that it was active when first turning on switch test.

I am having other issues as well but I'm wondering if it is the rectifier how many other issues will be corrected by getting a new one. Has anyone else had similar issues? I am completely new. This is my first pin. Done quite a bit of simple work to it already like adjusting switches, changing resting flipper position, changing the power plug connector out for one with a ground. Nothing much beyond that though and I have super big ambitions on learning this stuff

#2559 6 years ago

Don't mind at all. Got it for 3k on this site from a guy named gwaxt72. Doesn't look like his account is active any more but he seemed to check out. Had sold allot of pins on here. Said he ran a business doing it fixing them up then selling them so they could buy ones they wanted. He shopped and and added led lights for the extra 200 bucks. Thanks for taking time to help miracleman

#2560 6 years ago

Before I fixed the leafs on allot of the switches I did have some overactive switches and I am pretty sure I saw some smoke up on the upper right of the play field. Right at the loop where the spinner is at roughly. This seemed to stop after the leafs were fixed.

#2562 6 years ago

The board looks like it may have a burned run in it but the game functioned pretty well for a while. I'm ok with a lot of issues but like you said it might not help me learn because of over load. I'll let you know the results when I get the rectifier fixed.

#2564 6 years ago

Hmm yeah I am completely brand new so I do not know what I am looking for. I saw how much lower the price was than the people who restore and sell online so I thought I was getting a great deal. Looks like I have quite a bit to learn.

#2565 6 years ago

Game was working when I bought it except one of the flippers were too high and they didn't adjust switches after installing new rubbers. Maybe I shouldn't have told them I was new in the scene . Either way not totally upset. I feel that would just deter me from my mission to become better at everything pinball. Just learn from it and see if I can get this thing going. Maybe I'll do some digging to find some reading on questions to ask when buying a pin. I can't physically see one when I buy it because there are no sellers in my area. Shipping is my only option.

#2568 6 years ago

Miricaleman appreciate all the resources. I'll look into them. I work about 70 hours a week so I don't get too much time to travel to Orlando or Tampa. Sometimes on Sunday but wife usually likes to get in what little time she can. Might be what I have to do though and just be super patient.

Rdoyle if I had one to take it's place I might. Wasn't exactly the first pin I wanted but the price was right. I love the game but there is a title or two I am after more so.

1 week later
#2584 6 years ago

Reporting back in. I was able to desolder and install my new bridge rectifier. I feel pretty damn good about that for a first soldering project. Reads perfect on the multimeter. However, my problem still persists. Everything seems to work MUCH stronger than before, but still no action from the flippers or plunger. The search moves on. Was thinking about selling it but I don't feel ready to be down for the count yet.

2 months later
#2777 6 years ago

Ok guys been a while since I updated on my tales game. Good news - I found a bad transistor that was constantly blowing F5. Replaced it and the fuse and got about 6 plays out of it and now the ball launch will not launch the ball. It will still lock a mode if I manually hit a Target and press it but it will not launch the ball. Flipper and sound issues I was having are fixed though completely. Any ideas?

#2780 6 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

That sounds like a ball trough issue and/or a shooter lane switch issue. Make sure that the switch is registering closed when the ball is sitting in the shooter lane. My game was giving me all kinds of problems til I realized the ball was not sitting on the switch when in the shooter lane. The rubber bumper had rotted away from the ball launch coil bracket causing the plunger to sit back farther than it should, thus allowing the ball to sit back further in the shooter lane and not close the switch.

Thanks going to check this out now.

#2781 6 years ago

So switches so the last trough switch and the shooter Lane switch are active. They work fine. We are thinking maybe an issue with connector j7 since that's where the yellow purple wire connects to and I am getting some strange readings from it. Funny thing is it's hooked up to the 50v which is testing fine on my power board. Flippers are still strong as well which is kinda odd here too in this case. Going to change the battery in my meter and double check.

#2782 6 years ago

Ok so changed the battery on my multi meter just to see if there was a difference and it seems the first four pins on that connector are around 25 and the last 4 are around 75.

#2783 6 years ago

Ok so 2 fuses went. May have narrowed to down to the two transistors on the CPU board feeding the larger one on the other board. Going to see if replacing that will fix the one that keeps blowing and saved me some fuses. Going to try switching out a diode on the crypt vuk but not going to lie, super nervous about any soldering work on the play field.

2 weeks later
#2786 6 years ago

Well good news bad news.

Good news is I was able to fix the issues. No more blowing fuses or transistors.

Bad news is my vuk for the tomb stone wants to non stop fire when I start the game and just work when it wants to after starting a game. Any direction here would be appreciated. Seems to be the only issue after this but I'm finding once you fix one issue another seems to pop up....

#2788 6 years ago

After looking at the before picture I may have been a bit over the top with how I put the wiring for the switch back on. Going to desolder and try it a little different. Bear with me guys. Still new.

#2789 6 years ago

Ok vuk issue fixed!!! Now I'm having a small issue with the tomb Stone registering hits. Only does when it wants to. If this is a switch issue is it the one underneath in the middle and if so which way would I bend the switch to fix this???

#2792 6 years ago

Wow actually it was just a dirty contact. Guys in back up in full working order!!!! I can't believe this it was such a bastard! Frunch helped me so much with this. What an awesome Pinsider!!! Love this place!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier?tu=spyk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.