image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1449 9 years ago

I absolutely love this game, and don't know if I'll ever be able to part with it. Glad to be a part of the Fang Club. Here's a few pics of where I am with the LED lighting. I was aiming to make it appear as if the Crypt Keeper was ghostly and glowing. The pics don't do it justice, it's not as overly saturated with light as it appears here. The ball literally looks like a glowing orb at times thanks to some 3 LED purple strips I have aiming out towards the creature feature artwork. I think the "Scared Stiff" bone flippers work well also, and prefer the clear bands on them the most. I've added the Crypt Keeper figure above the scoop that Borg was quoted as saying that he wanted that same piece there in the game. Elvis and the other one with the Crypt Keeper cooking are in there as well. There's also a topper not pictured, and it's illuminated with a green LED strip and also color changers, and the underside of the machine is also illuminated in green, which seems to go great with the purple cabinet color. No where near done yet. And I liked those stone walls I saw another user install, so I hunted them down and put them along the "scared to death" gutter. Other work since I've owned it besides a complete tear down, clean, polish & wax include new Super VUK at the crypt along with a new switch there as well. Also did about $125-150 in LED's until I found the blend I was looking for. Playfield is near mint aside from "Collect Creature Feature" needing redone and a small chip near the Borg tombstone. I've also installed a 5.1 surround sound inside the cabinet - and let me tell you I definitely prefer it inside the cabinet as opposed to outside - it really helps bring the machine alive even more than it already was with the shaker motor. You can really feel the bass, extra ball & thunderstorm and etc. are very intense. Full surround is probably a bit overkill but I love this machine so why not? I'll post more pics of that stuff another time.

whole-playfield.jpgwhole-playfield.jpgright-rear-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpgright-rear-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpglower-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpglower-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpgleft-rear-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpgleft-rear-playfield-detail-TFTC.jpg

#1451 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Looks crazy good man, you've done a great job on that machine.

Thanks YK! I really appreciate that! I spent a good 100+ hours just cleaning. And probably another 50 hours interchanging various styles and colors of bulbs to get the effect I was looking for. I'd say the lighting is pretty close but not exactly what I'm envisioning yet. Next bulb order will be a biggie. The more I play it, the more I get ideas. I still want the cliffy post protectors and a few other small changes will be made. I had the scoop lit but forgot I unhooked it. I also have an extra feed to send light out from the extra ball / multi ball backdoor hole area and also from the VUK in the rear. Plenty more I forgot. Did the ROM updates, added a 2nd captive ball to make that shot a bit easier and I'm sure I'm forgetting more. The post rubbers look horrendous in these pics! I guess I'll be ordering those this week.

#1455 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Do you have actual blacklight LEDs in, or just purple colored leds? If you haven't seen this game's playfield artwork lit up with blacklight, it is really with checking out!

They're just the purple LED strips of 3 at the moment, from Comet Pinball, the quick plug and play ones. I have them tucked in under the triple tier plastics leading to the flippers. Then a purple in each of the lower slingshot spots, and the blue optix maximus in the upper sling bulb holders. Those blue OM's make the green glow very well, especially right near the end of my shooter outlane which is very close to where the blue OM bulb is on that side. But after seeing the power of the blue optix maximus bulbs they have I'm thinking the blue strips would be better than the purple strips I initially chose. The UV bulbs I tried were weak, but those super bright blues give it a similar effect for sure. So it's a mix of purples and blues down there, but probably shifting to all blue until the UV bulb technology improves a bit more. I need a bit more casting over the middle of the play field as well, it's the only dark spot. I'm definitely close to where I want to be but agree that more can be done with the play field artwork lighting up with proper UV or similar bulbs.

The thing I really like the most about those blue OM bulbs on this game is the fact that the play field is that deep blue, so I was trying to make a spooky blue haze of light over it a bit to accent it while also enhancing the green UV sensitive play field paint. I'm ultimately trying to make the crypt keeper feel like a live floating spirit down there by the play field in a 3D pop out at you kind of way.

Post edited by sevenrites: more details about bulb locations

#1456 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Did you k now if you have extra ball lit and collect it while in skull cracking mode you get 50million and dont get the extra ball?

I haven't experienced this at all yet but will have to try and replicate it because you have me curious.

I am definitely noticing some differences between the 1.03 and 3.03 ROM but haven't figured those changes all out yet either.

#1458 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I put the UV light strips that are used for a Metallic mod. One on each side of the cabinet the run from the lockdown bar to the rear

I almost ordered this mod, as well as the inside art graphics where the pin blades would go ("creeping death" mod they call it I believe) but I'm holding out and have made a few requests from the guys at http://www.pingraffix.com hoping to get some TFTC custom art. I thought they told me at the York Show someone had come up with the art...

Looking forward to seeing some pics with your UV light strips in place. I'm still seriously considering ordering those myself.

#1459 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I posted a little while back that I ordered the special paint for TFTC, which is mixed to be exactly to the DE specifics for the game. I thought I would show a fast pic pic of it, so others can see it is pretty spot on, especially for touch up. It's just the first coat, but I think you will get the idea. The "after" pic has some glare on it, but again, I figured it would be helpful.

Got this paint thanks to you tracking it down & finding it Ed, but when I first applied it as a test it didn't want to stick well. I'm assuming I may have to do a light sand to get rid of what could be a shoddy clear coat job or just a built up dirt layer.

#1460 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Received my new set of flipper fingers so I can replace my broken left finger. Had to make a few other adjustments while I had the glass off, so I figured I'd take some updated pics. Of course after I take the pics I noticed the organ player's temporary tape loosened. Need to mount it permanently now that I know I'm keeping him over the right ramp entrance.

The skull pile over Skull Crackin' has a red flickering LED inside and the hanging skulls shake when the shaker motor is on.

PoMC, your mods really got me into trying to take TFTC to the next level and your pics on page 23 or 24 of this thread is what really inspired me to get busy. So it was you I stole the idea from for the mini gravestone walls... My apologies & thanks for a great idea. I love your skull crackin' mod also.

#1463 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Sevenrites. Looks great! can you share color and bulb type/locations? Getting a tftc soon and love how yours looks

Yes, I can do that. I probably blew a good $50-75 on bulbs I ended up not using trying different brands / colors out until I got to where I am. So total investment with bulbs used is probably $125-175 or so. I don't think I'm done yet either, there's a few swaps I want to try yet, along with possibly the new LED UV strips from Comet that MustangPaul recently mentioned - I did look but couldn't find them on there yet...

I don't have it mapped out yet, but I can get a quick rundown together... The thing is, most of the color is how I want it, but after seeing the power of those optix maximus, I'm thinking a few of the bulbs I've decided the color on will need upgraded with those OM bulbs yet...

I'll be out of town on a job tomorrow but I have a lot of work to do on my machine now that my scoop / creature feature microswitch has failed and I have no replacements in stock... So it's time for a deep clean & etc. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can come up with a rough draft of what I did.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate that as well as this thread continuing to have activity!

Oh, and while we're at it - I saw a beautiful Data East Hook machine once with green coin inserts... I'd like clear or green, so I can throw color changers in them. Anyone know where to get the plastic coin accepter things in clear or green to fit a Data East pinball?

#1467 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That's what artwork I have for pinblades, The Creeping Death Metallic arwork. Theme is gravestones and lightning, which blends perfectly with the plastic at the rear of the playfield.

I definitely agree with this, that mod looks awesome in your machine and the theme & colors blend real well with the existing TFTC artwork. I've literally been ready to check out 1/2 dozen times now, but I keep holding out hoping the guys at pingraffix.com can deliver this elusive Tales from the Crypt art I've heard about.

I was also curious about those UV strips. My big concern is I don't want to see the light / top of the UV bulbs lighting up, I am hoping the strip has a deflector of sorts to keep the light from escaping out the top of the mod on the glass side while reflecting the light down onto the play field. I'm sure something can be fabricated if not.

#1474 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I just used a long strip of black electrical tape to black out the top of the clear plastic

Yes PoMC, that's what I had in mind doing as I had a feeling I'd see the top of the lights. Thanks for confirming.

This thread is awesome, it fulfills my fix for discussing this pinball in a way my wife isn't capable of. She probably wishes she had flipper buttons on her sometimes.

#1482 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

can't play 2 or more players without that damning loud chopping sound when waiting for their turn or when you step away for another drink

I couldn't agree more with that one. Honestly, I feel like that's the only thing that is wrong with the game. Every time I have a bunch of guests over who haven't played or seen the game, someone comments about that chopping sound and I can tell that even if they're not extremely annoyed, they still consider it a flaw or a nuisance to some degree. Then I have to wonder if that skews their whole opinion of the game.

billsfanmd are you looking for the normal factory game rules or the ChadH proposed changes? I don't know that either exist, but it would be nice to get a group effort together to compile them maybe wiki style.

#1484 9 years ago

Obligatory TFTC "Fang Club" post bump.

TFTC Playfield POVTFTC Playfield POV

TFTC Playfield ZoomTFTC Playfield Zoom

1 week later
#1494 9 years ago

I seem to hit skull crackin' about twice as often with a backwards shot off my left flipper. For some reason I find it easier that way, but I can't get the right angle when the ball falls down the outlane - I have to hit the ball when it's falling from the center of the play field or floating over from the right to the left, and catch it when it's about 1-2 inches above the flipper. And I've got a 2nd ball in there which also seemed to double my odds of hitting it.

I also do the left ramp with the left flipper quite frequently, and have even landed the scoop shot a few times with that flipper.

#1498 9 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I'm looking for tips, if anyone has any for getting the Monster Jackpot.

If you're having trouble feeding the upper flipper -

I've noticed that once I'm past double jackpot and hitting the tombstone, I use my lower right flipper the most and just angle the shot up between the scoop and jet bumpers. There's not a lot of room, but you can definitely get a lot of hits on it. Plus every hit adds a ball until Monster Jackpot is ready, so just keep pounding away. Eventually, the upper right flipper may end up knocking a few balls into it as well, whether you're trying to use it or not. I do hit the center spinner and also shoot the right orbit a lot when I am trying to set up that upper right flipper shot.

Quoted from shaub:

cut down on scoop bounce outs

Some foam padding on the metal guide rail between the scoop and the left ramp will help cushion the blow from the ball hitting that wall from the upper right flipper and seems to help dampen it. Having a cliffy protector seems to make the shot tougher, but I'd rather not beat my play field to death so I have one of those in. I hit the scoop quite a bit from my lower right flipper as well and even hit it backwards with the left flipper a time or two. But the easiest is with the upper right flipper, especially when there's a bit of foam to deaden the blow.

2 weeks later
#1540 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I had no clue clear rubbers were even an option! Where did you get them?

Me neither! I did find that pinball life has them here in the states.

It's neat to see this machine with a red cabinet, the workmanship you've done also looks well done. Those side rails are also pretty sweet, the whole project is looking great. The inserts on the coin doors & etc. are an interesting idea as well.

I love seeing what everyone does to their TFTC's. Still my all time favorite pinball I think. There's really nothing like it, Data East really knocked it out of the park with this one.

2 months later
#1563 8 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

I was thinking purple, green and blue. But, I am not sure.

I think those colors go great with this game. In fact, the blues seem to help bring out the blacklight effect a little when they're very bright like optix maximus from Comet. I like the blues a lot down by the slings, the op max bulbs radiate light into the creature features a little bit and seem to work good with helping illuminate areas the play field, while keeping a darker and spooky type feel. I mostly used the GI lighting to enhance whatever the main colors were in those areas. I ended up replacing a lot of my purples with blue later on. I also spent several hours mixing and matching and changing things around. The game is pretty damn awesome, and there's really no right or wrong way to do it in my opinion, lots of people here did theirs a bit different than I did mine, but they all look great I think.

#1564 8 years ago

I considered making a new thread but figured I'd just come to the epicenter of where everyone who loves this game congregates...

History of Tales from the Crypt... I read the blog thing where Borg mentioned the PVC topper above the scoop, I've seen a few sketches of back glass art.. But I'm looking for more. I'd love to see pics or a video of the Data East factory / assembly process. I want to see more sketches. Whiteboards. Etc. Anything at all related to the history of this game. I've searched all over the web and haven't found much more than what's already out there. So does anyone here have any interesting history or stories or media to share about this fantastic beast of a pinball machine?

#1567 8 years ago

I forgot about the scoop but I do remember that coming up in my readings somewhere as well.

I wish Borg would do a Q&A about every one of his games with his fans, starting with this one of course! I've tried contacting him through FaceBook and Stern to no avail.

A bit off topic but somewhat historically related, I'd love to know where the excess door handle overstock inventory ended up when the manufacturer stopped running that particular design.

I'd also like to know more about who owns the rights to Data East, which I assume is Stern, from acquiring Sega. And if there are any plans to make use of those rights. So for example, where are the original screen press things for TFTC so we can get play fields remade?

#1570 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If you ever get a definitive answer to this question, please let us know.

I would have to assume it's Stern. The Data East pinball division ended up being sold to Sega in 1994. Sega then sold their assets to Gary Stern in 1999. Now the tricky part with Data East pinball licensing besides that is the fact that the majority of their games seem to have had licenses for the various themes. I assume this complicates things a bit more. Or does it? You would think the licensees would be fine with making a few dollars more this far after the fact just so we can get fresh play fields or decal sets and etc. remade to spec. Now that Stern has a larger facility and is turning a profit, I think they should consider expanding and opening up some fresh parts and play field supply so people can restore their classic Sega and Data East games better. I've been pushing for this all over the place.

#1571 8 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Well now would be the best time to contact Stern via Facebook!

I agree, however, I've left several comments on several of the recent posts now regarding Stern getting around to bringing back some fresh parts for classic Sega and Data East titles, but haven't gotten any traction or response yet. Still not giving up. They could really turn a nice revenue stream just by remaking stuff they've already made in the past as the former companies so people can restore their games better.

#1573 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I've heard from several reliable sources that Gary Stern's ex-wife owns the IP to Data East Pinball (via divorce settlement) and that neither Gary Stern nor Stern Pinball own anything related to Data East Pinball. I have no way of verifying this but would love a definitive answer either way.

This has me truly intrigued. Maybe it's time for me to contact my PI buddy to track down his ex wife and get to the brass tax of what it's gonna take to make the license accessible for people. I seriously think there's a strong market for remaking some of the classic Data East and Sega playfields, plastics & etc.

Oh look who it is, ChadH!!! Awesome! While you're here and we're discussing TFTC - are you still working on that custom ROM chip? I was interested in that / progress / updates / status (regardless of whether it's been abandoned or not)

#1575 8 years ago

Yea I'm not sure how I feel about attempting it yet. I see nothing wrong with trying to find her and ask her. But if not done carefully, it could tie it up even longer. And this is all assuming she does in fact hold the license.

2 weeks later
#1582 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

can't understand why the previous owner would have removed these!!

It's likely they got broken during transport or on route. The plastic head is obtainable, the handle mechanism itself, is another story and has been extremely elusive to many who have tried to acquire it.

#1583 8 years ago
Quoted from Mister_Swede:

I need any one with a idea for the R.I target the runs on a motor, mine has a crack at the right corner and i need the plastic any idea how to replace it?

I have not seen one of these anywhere either, probably as elusive as the door handle. I'm wondering if something could be made to work out of an old plastic card (similar to a credit card, but smooth and without the numbers pressed into the plastic). I haven't had mine apart, so I'm not completely sure how it goes together.

#1587 8 years ago

I vaguely remember something awhile back pertaining to a potential code update coming from ChadH and thought he even had a TFTC to test out some things on. Or maybe that was in a parallel universe I dreamt about once.

#1591 8 years ago

I'm tempted to learn how to code myself just to get this done. I've also considered taking up machining and millwork so we can have the door handles again as well. It's painful to see a market and no supply for it and just sit idle knowing there's happiness to grant and while receiving a few extra dollars in the pocket for the effort.

#1595 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I had thought about that and I was looking at the numbers again - they don't really add up for me.

I definitely agree with your numbers assessment not really making it worthwhile to pursue, unless of course there was some way to do it quick and easy, and I haven't been able to come up with any solutions for that.

#1598 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I can confirm this. The game is SO much cooler with a new set of rules and bug fixes.

Now if I may quote Burt Ward - "Holy return from oblivion!"

Please, by all means, feel free to elaborate and count me in as very interested in permanently beta testing this code revision!

#1601 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

1) Player is unable to "lock" the Super Keeper Target mode

Just tested, I am unable to "lock" Super Keeper Target mode.

Quoted from ChadH:

If player "locks" a mode, the light above the Launch trigger lights up but does not turn off when mode is started and light incorrectly remains lit

Just tested and confirmed this to be the case on mine as well.

Quoted from ChadH:

the lamp above the Left Ramp remains flashing even though this shot is not active while the countdown is happening

Also confirmed this to be accurate. I was able to trigger a trick shot, and complete the whole loop but not get Jackpot while the countdown was in effect.

Quoted from ChadH:

During Skull Crackin' mode, the two alternating Lite Creature Feature lamps are lit even though hitting the lit spinner does not lite Creature Feature

This one always annoyed me. I just tested that as well to confirm what you're saying to be correct.

Quoted from ChadH:

Skill Shot hit or miss is not registered when hitting the Drop Target and will later register when the ball hits the next switch

I have not been able to replicate this but I do believe I remember it happening. I also seem to get a lot of misses when I'm nearly positive they were a direct hit at the right time. I'll have to think if I remember any other bugs, I know there are, just can't recall off the top of my head.

My sincere thanks to you for taking on this project.

2 months later
#1663 8 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

Will someone please make insert decal sets for this game?

I'd be interested in this as well. OldFireGuyKY I think his name is, has great quality stickers, we just need someone to do the art. I can do the art, but it would be nice to have an awesome scan. I don't have one of those handheld ones or a play field nice enough to use.

#1667 8 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

I couldn't find this member's ID, could you verify and let me know. By stickers, Are you talking about insert decals for the playfield, or for the drop targets/spinners/etc?

Sorry, it's ovfdfireman. I am not sure if he does clear insert decals, but his playfield / target decals for No Good Gofers slam ramp & etc are fantastic quality, a bit thicker than a normal sticker and with a laminate / glossy protective coating. I'm not seeing any wear after several hundred games.

#1673 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Looking for a couple of TFTC owners who have a good grasp on the current game rules and also own ROM burners and the ability to burn themselves a 27C512 CPU ROM and a 27C040 DISPLAY ROM.

Crap, I don't have a ROM burner but I am well versed in the rules.

1 month later
#1777 8 years ago

Wow Chad... I'm nearly speechless, definitely blown away. You took what was already an awesome game in so many ways and amped it several more levels! I haven't even begun to absorb all the new callouts & fixes yet, but off the top of my head, the new skull crackin', new skill shot, the keeper targets - all way better! I don't recall seeing the head getting chopped off on the guillotine during super guillotine targets before on the DMD either. I have yet to come across something in the game that you haven't improved tremendously. With Halloween right around the corner and my annual TFTC Halloween Spooktacular event, your timing with the release couldn't be better either. The first of what I hope to be several donations was made today. I can't thank you enough! And I've only gotten about 5-6 games on it since the update so I'm sure I'll be back with more updates & feedback.

3 weeks later
#1825 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

My cliffy sticks up on the side and it's causing a lot of blocks.

I actually tore mine out and ripped a piece off the side of it and tweaked it a bit, then put it back in and it's been working much better.

#1829 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

So you bent it down?

I believe so. If I remember correctly, there was a strengthening piece that went down inside the game that was bending with the part on top of the play field, so I ripped the inside piece out and just remolded it a bit to get it back in. I get less bounce outs now as well. Bounce outs were always a problem, then once it bent it was driving me insane. I also did that because I already have a brand new cliffy for later, so I had little to lose. But it ended up working out better than when I put it in as designed. I have to do some video for someone and pics for someone else so I'll try to remember to grab a pic to show you what I mean.

1 month later
#1882 8 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

the Cryptkeeper image where he blows his brains out

I can also confirm I am very pleased to see this is still in the game with the 4.0 rom update. Such a great game! The new update really added a new dimension and more great call outs! I think there is an extra animation in there now I don't remember seeing previously but I forget what it was.

#1883 8 years ago

Speaking of the new 4.0 rom update - I'm noticing that overall, my high scores are a lot lower than they used to be. Not a big deal, just means I've got to work harder. But have others noticed this as well? Or is it due to the way I play the game? Maybe others are getting higher scores than they did prior to the update? I won't be switching back, I like the work ChadH did on the rom too much.

Oh, and gordonbowar - that is one beautiful Tales from the Crypt you've got there. So glad to see it being restored to it's former glory and perhaps better than it was out of the factory.

#1886 8 years ago

I suspect some of the lower scoring is due to multi ball being perhaps a bit tougher than it was. I don't recall being able to get the double jackpot by hitting the left ramp many times over anymore - seems I have to hit the double jackpot ramp to get it now - as it always probably should have been. So that makes it tougher to progress to monster jackpot for sure. I hit crypt jam 2x on the same game yesterday and still only hit 1.7 billion.

#1892 8 years ago

Ahh - here's a quick question I had since you guys are all here discussing the code - yesterday I made it to Door Prize 2x. Picked center, then left and got hung. Did the same sequence on the 2nd time around, and it ended the same. I can't remember if I was on the same ball or not, but same game, I had made it to Crypt Jam and was coming back around for more. So I'm wondering is the Door Prize only randomized each game - as in, if I get there 2x or more in one game will it be the same pattern or was that just coincidence I did center and then left door 2x and got hung on the left door each time? Just wondering if either of you noticed how that worked when you were in the code.

I do see it mentions it was random and not tournament friendly before the update, but I'm still confused.

I love all of the new, previously unused callouts, including new door prize "open wide and say ahhhhhhh!" You guys did an amazing job with all of this.

#1894 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The game picks before you do whether any door will be successful or not. Then it gives you the points if it decides you'll be successful no matter which door you pick, or fails you no matter what door you pick.

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused, it sounds like it's random but it's not, maybe it changed, maybe it didn't. I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates? I know I've gotten through at least 5, maybe 6 doors before.

On another side note - this may be the new DMD graphic I thought I noticed since all of the code fixes - "Fixed bug where the final CRYPT lowering video when collecting “T” would not play."

#1898 8 years ago

Awesome, thank you both for clarifying and again, for making this already awesome game a heck of a lot better in many ways! There is NO WAY this game is ever leaving my collection.

Dan, that door prize explanation makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks!

4 weeks later
#1929 8 years ago

I've got all original boards as well, no battery damage ever occurred either. At one point the flippers were chattery, so someone put in a Rottendog flipper board that made the game go nuts. Several repairs and a few hundred later, it wasn't 100% again until after I put the original flipper board back in it. Not sure why the flippers ever chattered to begin with, this all led to me acquiring the game in the first place. Just glad it's back to original and working flawlessly ever since. I doubt it will ever leave my collection.

#1941 8 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

right metal guide its a little bend of if its ok

If I'm looking at the right flipper and the metal guide that would drop the ball on that side, it does look bent like spot welds may need redone but also looks like it will still function (as long as the ball can pass under it). I've seen them come up for sale from time to time but someone with a welder can make it new.

The play field inserts don't look too bad on that game from the pic, it's hard to tell. It does look like it sat for awhile, but it could be a diamond in the rough. Not being played for 10 years could have helped. Rubbers and etc. will need replaced but it has my interest.

Where is it being shipped from? Also curious about the asking price. You can PM me if you'd like.

#1943 8 years ago

If it's on the ramp itself, there at the bottom right side of the left ramp - mine has a little spot weld there that's broken there but it does not affect the game play.

#1947 8 years ago

Yeah there is a tiny weld there, it gets pounded in that corner, there is a post but it doesn't stop all of the abuse. It's an easy fix with the right welder. I think you'll be able to work any kinks out. TFTC was my first, and it came with issues, that's how I got it. But being my first and only, and with the help of the forum here and other places, I had it all 100% within a few weeks. Just ask any questions you have along the way, someone should have an answer.

#1948 8 years ago

Okay, that's the spot I thought you meant at first. Looks like the vertical rings that keep the horizontal part of the wire together needs a spot weld or two.

#1950 8 years ago

The wire thing? I don't think it's going to keep it from being playable. You may have to bend it a tiny bit back into place but it doesn't take a lot of abuse from the ball or anything, it's just trying to drop it back for the flipper. You should be able to rig somehow it till you get it welded.

#1955 8 years ago

No chrome at the weld would be just an aesthetic issue.

#1960 8 years ago

I've played Getaway and own TFTC. I'd never trade my TFTC for the Getaway.

#1962 8 years ago

It really doesn't look beat up to me. Just dusty. The cabinet looked decent, play field didn't appear to have ghosted or chipped inserts or wear at all. I'd be a buyer all day long on it. Plus the owner is willing to make a video showing the game fully functioning.

#1968 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

it sounds interesting

Definitely different. It's cool that this is a potential option, however, I prefer my TFTC with the original background music. I'd suggest just installing a 5.1 surround sound inside the cabinet for a more electrifying experience before switching out the music tracks. If I did switch them out, I'd probably only want to add the actual movie intro / outro music and have it trigger at times, and still keep the catchy rendition of it that comes with the game still intact as well.

1 week later
#1997 8 years ago

cryptkeeper-mansion_(resized).jpgcryptkeeper-mansion_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#2006 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

the CN1 connector for the power supply board (a new RD board) was burnt (likely one of the reasons why the pin had a new PS board)

Mine is also burnt and long overdue to get repinned, but it has the original Data East power supply board in it. It would be interesting to know if yours burnt before the RD board was installed, and wasn't fixed, or if it burnt after the RD board was installed. If after, then something is causing that connector to burn regardless of whether it's the original DE board or a replacement RD board.

#2008 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

a technician simply replaced the board - from what I gather the connector burnt before the new board, but the technician (and I know him) did not have the skillset (or pins/housing) to replace that connector and figured - "meh, it works now...", and simply left it as it was.....

Excellent, that answers my question then, thanks. I'm going to keep the original power supply and just re-pin mine, but I'm assuming it will just burn again. Hopefully the RD replacement corrects whatever the issue is that causes the connector to burn for you - I think that's ultimately what I'm trying to figure out, if it can be prevented or fixed without changing out the original Data East Power Supply Board.

#2012 8 years ago

Holy Cow! Someone sure did score a sweet deal there! First one I've seen available in the year and a half I've been hunting for others. Let's hope someone's actually putting it on their game and not just trying to flip it.

#2018 8 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Yeah, sorry! I saw your post before, looked everywhere, didn't find them but it kept bugging me because I remembered someone made them and I just figured it out! You're in luck! The almighty Cliffy has a solution!!!

Pic taken from his site. Also, here's the link to the page with all the TFTC parts he has made. I love his lift gate latches on No Good Gofers, and the fact that he makes more than just protectors!

http://www.passionforpinball.com/tftc.htm

TFTC-GATE-SET01_(resized).jpgTFTC-GATE-SET01_(resized).jpg

#2020 8 years ago

They are pretty sharp looking all nice and fresh like that. It also looks like they may be a tiny bit thicker and better made than the originals. I may have to get a set. I know the NGG lift catches he made are much stronger than the originals. My Gofers has been 100% functional with them and they've been in for over a year now.

2 weeks later
#2027 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Can anyone tell me if these are the toys that were supposed to be on the game, but got cut due to costs before production?

I grabbed a set off of eBay about a year ago but haven't seen them since. And John Borg was apparently wanting to put the one with the crypt keeper with the book and skull above the scoop shot, but it never made it into the production. This is documented on ChadH's pinballcode.com website - the same ChadH who helped get us the kick ass new v4.00 ROM unofficial patch for Tales from the Crypt that I highly recommend.

"The Crypt Keeper model was something I found but we weren't doing much sculpting and roto molding back then. I wanted to put it above the scoop that started features." (provided by John Borg)

See http://www.pinballcode.com/gallery/ and scroll down about 1/2 way. After I read that, I had to have it. Found all 3. I put the one on the scoop like Borg intended, then I put Elvis over above the GNR characters on the left orbit. The other one was on the pop bumpers also pictured, but is now behind the right upside down ramp on mine I think.

They came on a candy tube at the time, I believe, back around 1993.

tales-scoop_(resized).jpgtales-scoop_(resized).jpg

#2030 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Was or is the prototype translite ever offered?

Yes, it is obtainable:

http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/tales-from-the-crypt-alternate-translite.html
http://www.pinballwizard.nl/contents/en-us/d1114_Translite_Translites_Data_East_Pinball_Flipperkast.html

Someone named pugsotoys posted this in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/6EJX9vOQ4xI on 1/17/12

"Thanks! I did do the design work although I would have to consider
myself more of a technician with it than anything else as I only copied
the original layout and did zero illustration work but rather hunt down
and photoshop lots of web available images. But, it was fairly
challenging to piece them all together."

#2043 8 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Where the heck do I find the latest tom?? I do not have a rom burner ! Thx

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM2506 - $10
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM2507 - $10

But I'd recommend finding someone to burn you the ChadH unofficial v4.00 patch chock full of improvements -

http://www.pinballcode.com/tftc4

1 month later
#2060 7 years ago

It's installed on mine.

1 week later
#2096 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

By Christopher Lovell, an 80s inspired horror artist.

Sweet, thanks for providing the source... I haven't looked yet, is this the only TFTC related art they've done or is there more? I definitely like the look of it as a translite in your game.

#2099 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

On the new code was there an indicator added to let the player know when the ball save is on?

I haven't ever noticed a ball save indicator, before or after the code update. Now I'm curious... I didn't need an extra excuse to put work off and play TFTC today. It would be cool to see something flashing so you know you're still within the save time but I do like the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not it will be saved, which is what I'm used to.

#2101 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

My TFTC had a lamp that flashed in the shooter lane under the red plastic when ball save was on.

This makes sense, you're probably right. I rarely notice that bulb down in that corner... Maybe mine's not socketed good or burnt out. Fighting the urge to go over there right now.. Must.. complete.. work... AHHHH!

#2107 7 years ago

I just played a game on my TFTC with the intentions on looking for a flashing indicator on the ball save... Next thing I know, 30-40 minutes went by, my heart rate is high, I'm sweating, I netted over 1,700,000,000 and time froze from the spectacular seizure inducing strobing light shows.

What a rush! I still haven't broken 2 or 3 billion since the code update. But I think it's better and more balanced for sure. Only got 2 extra balls and probably 8 multi balls, only 2 monster jackpots, 2 multi balls with no jackpot or restart and was one away from crypt jam (skull crackin').

#2121 7 years ago

You could always throw in a strip of thin, stick-on felt along the edges of the playfield on both sides. It may help prevent scratches and tears if it did catch the side of the mirrors or other blade art when lifting and closing the playfield. I don't think anything else really hits the sides other than the playfield itself. The wireforms & etc. should be recessed within the playfield a little bit and not sticking out or quite as wide.

1 week later
#2129 7 years ago

I took a round on my TFTC around mid-afternoon today and it destroyed me. One game, under 10,000,000. Probably an all time low score on there for me. It's cool though, I'll return for morgue.

#2135 7 years ago

Has anyone ever had an issue with their TFTC booting up slow? I'm talking like 1 minute goes by before the display comes on and then another minute or so until the sound comes on. If you try to start it while that stuff is still loading, it gets all funky and the callouts and music aren't synched correctly. I'm assuming I need a new RAM chip or need to add an NVRAM.

3 weeks later
#2148 7 years ago

I threw an entire 5.1 surround with sub inside my cabinet and I think it sounds great. I don't think sound quality is bad at all on this one. I really just wanted more bass but I think the other speakers do help the over all sound so new ones in the backbox might be worthwhile.

#2150 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

good enough to be worth while

My thoughts as well. Definitely worth while! I always thought the background track sounded great with the extra bass. The DE music seems more intense than the HBO musical score. They nailed it, in my opinion.

2 months later
#2186 7 years ago

For big scoring, I go for crypt jam for the most part because I like to complete all the modes and get big multi ball points.

Multi ball does have better scoring rewards so you could theoretically beat the high score just going for that but if you get to crypt jam, you can just keep hitting the spinners to rack up big points while everything else falls into place. Plus multi ball tends to just happen rather easy on its own with out having to go for it specifically. So by all means, take advantage of multi ball and try to get more than one monster jackpot, preferably with as many balls on the table as possible for bigger points, even if it takes more than one multi ball.

Also pay attention to the outlane mystery door prize & pop chops, they're another good way to rack up big points. On any of the other modes, like mystery goring and etc, again, go for spinners or pop bumpers.

Source: Current holder of the Pinside high score for TFTC

3 months later
#2234 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

increased the coil power in additional settings

I never even noticed that option until you mentioned it. Mine was in the middle, just increased the coil pulse strength to hard and now the ball sails up and around the left ramp no problem for me. Thanks for the tip, because I was struggling to make that shot too often. My flippers aren't rebuilt and the coils are original, but prior to adjusting that setting, I think I just tried to lower the ramp a little where it mounts in the rear of the machine. I keep it super clean and waxed and replace the balls often. Not sure what my pitch is, but it's not super steep.

4 weeks later
#2253 7 years ago

Holy Deadlock! This thread needs some action.

#2254 7 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Always found the playfield backboard to be very dark ... Added 26 LED natural white light strips ...

Looks great! Adding to my "TFTC to-do" list.

#2256 7 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

so on occasion good powerful shots to the middle spinner will hop out before sinking under and over into the right orbit.

Yikes... Your flippers must be supercharged! I've never experienced an issue with the ball hopping out of there. Maybe some thin foam tape on the metal guide rail just past the spinner as it loops around to the hole will help deaden it and get it to drop in easier?

Quoted from Boat:

I added a bunch of layers of electrical tape on top of my tombstone because the ball would get stuck on top of it when it's down.

The height of the top of the tombstone can be adjusted, mine needs to raise a hair itself because a very slow rolling ball will get caught there from time to time. I just haven't gone in and made the adjustment yet.

#2269 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Set any awards to "credit".

If you really want an advantage, I'd set the awards to extra ball, then you can earn them for passing replay & other things and keep the existing game going longer versus playing new games over and over till you get there. Also for Crypt Jam, just focus on that only, getting through all the modes, you don't even need to complete them, just activate them, ignore multi ball and you should get there quicker. I can't get there every game but every 5-10 games I usually make it. And that's with it currently on factory settings.

#2271 7 years ago

Hmm, that's interesting. I would think it would be easier to get there with extra ball awards. Maybe you just got a lot better all of a sudden? Either way, congrats. Crypt Jam is always fun. I really enjoy how you have to work through all of the elements of the game with each mode, forcing the player to focus on spinners, pops, ramps, drop targets, etc. so that aspect plus lighting all the inserts and completing all those modes to get there is a big motivator. And once I'm there I love just going for spinners, seems to be the easiest way to rack up big Crypt Jam points.

On that note, I've noticed I can only get about 1/2 way to my previous high scores now that I'm on the ChadH 4.0 code. I like his code better, it seems more balanced, but more difficult to score as big.

#2273 7 years ago

keeper2 (resized).jpgkeeper2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2285 7 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Do you guys keep any secondary scores?

I don't keep them written down, but it is a good idea because it tests skills focusing on certain areas or parts of the game. It reminds me of how sometimes I approach a game just going for a particular goal, like on TFTC, just trying to get monster jackpot. Or just go for Crypt Jam. Lately, I've been trying to go for everything all in the same game.

If at first you don't succeed, DIE DIE again!

#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

I'm coming for that high score seven

Man that is fantastic! I love it! Great score you got there BTW. Which code are you running? Because my 3 billion + score was on the old 3.03 code, since then I think my top is only 1.5 billion or so with the v 4.0 code. So technically you're very close to my current 4.0 code high score. I don't think I posted the 4.0 score on here yet but I should.

2 years later
#3464 4 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

On a separate note, I recently refurbed the cabinet, added nvram and rom and now notice the crypt keeper is cut off mid sentence when I turn the machine on.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I believe that's normal with the new 4.0 Chad roms.

I just want to clarify, I don't believe this was unique to the ChadH 4.0 ROM, I believe it always did this, even with the older code releases. And I also added NVRAM. It works better but not 100% all the time. Sometimes I get the whole no payum, no gayum, other times I don't.

1 year later
#3906 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Especially because the original usually reflects horribly onto the PF glass.

Reducing backglass glare is one thing I like using cheap LEDs for.

#3909 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah, but then you usually get the circular ring effect on the translite.

The ones I'm using in back glasses must be so cheap they're not capable of lighting bright enough to make the circular ring effect, otherwise I wouldn't leave them in there. That would be too annoying to see.

3 months later
1 year later
#4451 1 year ago
Quoted from waymon:

Best place to get a loaded chip of Chad's version?

I've always had great luck with Matt's Basement Arcade. Full service, you can get the completed, ready to install ROMs, including the Chad H version here:

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/tales-from-the-crypt-pinball-rom-chips/

Chad doesn't see any of the proceeds towards the work he did on the code when ROMs are ordered from others, but you're also free to donate as a thank you and encouragement for him to continue doing these, through his website. And if you're capable of burning the ROM yourself, you can download it directly from Chad's website.

Info on the TFTC code on Chad's site here:

https://www.pinballcode.com/tftc4

Download code from Chad's site here:

https://www.pinballcode.com/downloads/

4 weeks later
#4485 1 year ago
Quoted from RBCostanza:

Someone in this thread suggested to add a second ball behind the captive ball.

I completely forgot adding a second ball to mine. It's still no easier to line up and hit the shot, but easier to make the shot once you hit it. I've actually gotten it on backhanded shots just as much, if not more often than from the right lower flipper.

3 weeks later
#4516 1 year ago
Quoted from gregcube:

What's your strategy? My highest score is 422,531,050 but haven't come close to that again

The #1 high score on this game here on on Pinside is 3,940,740,500. That was me, so I will share my strategy.

First, before we begin, that was prior to the ChadH 4.0 code update. I find it much more difficult to score that high ever since I did that update. But I am working on it. Since the ChadH 4.0 code update, I average 1,000,000,000+ per game and have a few 2 and 3 billion scores.

#1 for me is Monster Jackpot. If you can somehow land that with all 6 balls in play, it's even more lucrative. But just 2-3 balls in play and it's still a huge score.

I also try and get ripping through the spinners as often as possible during all of the ramp modes like bats, etc. They can add up to some hefty points.

Make use of all "mystery door" and "chop pops" scores every time you hit an outlane, as there often isn't anything else that can score you more.

When you hit the spinners, and it changes the lit creature feature, go ahead and hit the door handle button to lock it in when it hits extra ball. You'll need and want that no matter how far you get in the game.

Focus on trying to get to Crypt Jam, but don't worry about trying to complete harder missions like Keeper Targets since they're lower scoring and more dangerous. You don't need to complete missions to activate Crypt Jam on this game, you just need to activate and start them.

Going for Crypt Jam gives you chances at an Extra Ball and Super Crypt Kicker since they need completed anyway.

If you get to Crypt Jam, then go for spinners, since all targets score 1,000,000, you'll rack up the most points with those and bumper shots. Once Crypt Jam is done, you'll get to go for Extra Ball and Super Crypt Kicker again.

One other thing I would like to note, I changed it to award an Extra Ball instead of specials (free games) so as you progress through and get somewhere, you have another chance or two of an extra ball to reward you. This is the only change I made.

I did that score before I even had good flippers. I played it with them for years and finally rebuilt them this past winter. Now I'll be even more dangerous. I also keep it super clean, waxed, and a pretty good pitch for high speed.

I still have this game and am happy to discuss it deeper anytime. Hope these tips help. I'll add more as I think of them.

#4520 1 year ago
Quoted from Boat:

I looked at the high scores today, it’s nice that you, seven only add your highest score, there is someone here that added over 5 of their scores like it was their personal high score board.

This annoys me a little. I think I was guilty of it too at times, since I’d get on the board and then get a much higher score later on. I’ll have to look and see if I can delete any of the lower scores if and where I may be guilty of having multiple scores up for the same game.

Quoted from cookpins:

Sounds like I need to rebuild my flippers and lube my spinners.

I can actually back hand the left ramp with my left flipper and I’ve even backhanded the right ramp with the right flipper since the rebuild. It’s insane!

#4523 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

That is insane, and a game changer for scoring possibilities. Is there a kit you used to do the rebuild? I've never done a full rebuild before, any resources you're aware of that can assist me would be appreciated. You rebuilt the upper flipper as well?

I never thought it was possible to backhand either of those ramps. I also got the trick shot with the right flipper recently. It's all about the angles, but now there's plenty of power to get the ball there.

Rebuilding flippers used to be something I disliked and would avoid. But now it's such a regular thing for me, I almost look forward to it.

I got this kit from Pinball Life:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DE0493-0795

I only did the bottom 2 flippers since the upper right works pretty good still and I don't want to smash things up real bad up there.

I did not use a guide, but this one looks like it covers everything and then some:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-flipper-rebuilding-how-to-fix-and-replace/

Take pictures before you do anything, make sure you can see where the wires on the coils go, which way the end of stroke switches go and etc. Just take apart and reassemble, take more pics along the way if you need to.

*I also changed both coils. This requires de-soldering the old ones and re-soldering the new ones in. If you do this, be sure to orient the wires from the old coil to the same, corresponding lugs and positions on the new coil. I probably didn't need to do this but the one on the left looked like it was coming unwound a little.

It's probably easiest to take the whole mechanism out of the game and do it on a work bench or something. If you're already replacing the coils, then this is definitely the best way I think.

If you're not doing the coils, you can leave the assemblies in there, especially if you don't want to de-solder and re-solder the coils back in. It just takes a little patience and awkward angles to get everything swapped out. Plus you can't get in there and polish and clean everything up closer to restoration standards unless you take it all out.

One final note.. I also changed my cabinet leaf switches at the flipper buttons. Although the flippers were weak and needed rebuilt, there was still an intermittent issue with the left flipper losing power or not making good contact. The leaf switches were a bit corroded and probably original from factory judging by the looks of them so after swapping them, it was next level awesome.

If you do those, here's a link to the one on the right which is a double due to the upper right flipper.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5122-00

Here's the one for the left side:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5048-01

Keep in mind if you just search for 180-5122-00 and 180-5048-01 you may or may not be able to find them elsewhere for less.

#4525 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Thanks a lot for this write up!

You’re welcome and no problem! I wasn’t trying to make it so long but figured I’d try and cover it all plus some tidbits on how or why I went the route I did, depending on circumstances.

3 weeks later
#4538 12 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Does anyone in the US make the clear long plastic on the right side?

I need one of those too.

#4545 11 months ago

The scoop “protector” on mine definitely makes the plunk noise and rejects the ball from the scoop over 50% of the time. It creates additional challenge and nothing else in my gameroom makes that same noise. I might end up also ripping mine out, next time I clean it.

#4547 11 months ago

Been wanting to give the mantis protector a try, curious how it performs over the cliffy.

#4554 11 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I've only ever hit the captive ball once by accident, every other time I've hit it, it didn't move far enough to register

You can add a second ball in there to make it much easier to register when you do hit it. This is one of the first things I did to my game when I got it. Makes a world of difference and the shot is tricky to aim for so it’s still not too easy.

1 week later
#4572 11 months ago
Quoted from ktcoady12:

this game can hold its own against many modern and DMD era games in my opinion

Totally agree. Grew up on Mad / Tales from the Crypt. This was my first pin and it’s never leaving. Also running ChadH code.

2 months later
#4693 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Been having on and off problem with my right flipper. It will sometimes kind of double flap when you press the button, or when holding down the button while it does that will have the flipper give and falls, but then will try to bounce back up. Sometimes a power reset will then eventually fix this and the game will work fine for some time, and every once in a while the flipper starts acting up again.

I'll also concur - after a full flipper hardware rebuild, inspection of the fuse holders on the flipper board and several other things, the last of my TFTC left flipper twitchy and double flapping was finally resolved with new cabinet switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier?tu=sevenrites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.