image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#669 10 years ago

New TFCT owner, just got it Saturday. What has anyone done to reduce the glare on the playfield glass from the translite? I'm finding the glare can be distracting around the pops and upper playfield.

The pin came with full LEDs, but I removed the backbox LEDs and replace with 44s, except for a few spots of color. Blue in the upper right, green lower right, orange keep face area. But the glare is still pretty bad even with the 44s installed and I'm using a DMD guard already.

#670 10 years ago

Some pics..

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG
#672 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I removed about 60% of the back box bulbs. Still plenty bright but definately lowers the glare.

Thanks, that's actually great advice. I removed all the incandescent 44s, left the colors but removed several orange LEDs behind the Keeper's face, so that reduced his glare. Glare is MUCH MUCH better and fine now. My wife even said the glare was bad without me even telling her about it.

I'm going to try some 20 or 35% window tint behind the glass to see if I can add a few whites without getting the glare. I bought 5% before from Walmart, but was thinking that was the lightest tint - instead it was the darkest and muted just about all light.

#673 10 years ago

Is there a secret skill shot in this game? I noticed the ball can be launched by hitting both flipper buttons - just like SST's secret skill shot.

#680 9 years ago

Figured I'd post pics of the LEDs in the backbox I used to greatly reduce the glare.

photo 2 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG photo 3 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG
#682 9 years ago

Saw some comments that the cliffy on the scoop reduces the chance of successful shots, and it's true. My pin came with the cliffy installed and I removed it tonight and had a MUCH better success rate of shots into the scoop.

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I thought I had heard this before, but I wanted to confirm that my game is fine. Hitting the left ramp, but not getting all of the way up, is a panic moment on my game. When it comes back down the ramp, the ball clips the post which send the ball right to the outlane.
You need to do some nudging help keep the ball from draining on the right side.
I thought this was a clever design thing, but talking to someone about it made some doubt creep in. Like maybe I have the wrong post sleeve or something that causes a panic on every "near miss" ramp shot.
Am I alone?

Seems to do the same thing on mine - ball will come back down the ramp and usually kick over to the right slingshot lanes.

#687 9 years ago

I have a red DMD film I had leftover when I sold my Wipe Out. I removed it from that pin because the red just did not fit the theme at all.

I taped the film over the DMD of TFTC and it looks fantastic. The red DMD really fits the horror theme and the DMD animations. Def going to be installing the film permanently.

#688 9 years ago

Has anyone tried adjusting or moving the ball launch rail to reduce SDTM launch shots? Have to admit, it's pretty crappy having 2 or 3 balls be launched, hit the drop targets and then go SDTM. I can find the challenge in fighting to save a ball from draining after launch, but my wife and kids get really frustrated that it happens so often. Even though the ball will launch again and doesn't count as a lost ball, still is a shitty way to start a game and every new ball.

I had to adjust my BK2K rail that fed to the top flipper because it would kick the ball out too far from the flipper to make loops. So I'm going to do the same to the launch rail in TFTC. Should just need to be slightly moved so the top curve that feeds the playfield is at another angle. Maybe it throws off the skill shot a little, but playability is higher on my list than the skill shot percentage.

I guess I'll first try replacing the black rubber behind the targets with white, and then see if that has any effect. But doubtful.

#691 9 years ago

Flipper trick is a good idea. But I want people to be able to step up and play without getting automatic, multiple, STDMs. Also don't want to have to say to hold the flipper up on reshoots. So last night I removed the top two screws from the ball guide and slightly aimed the top curve inward toward the playfield. No more SDTM launches, the ball hits the leftdrop target usually and sometimes can hit the crypt.

I also added a slightly larger post ring rubber behind and to the left of the drop targets. This helps prevent some of those SDTM drains when the ball exits the pop bumpers between the crypt and drop targets.Gives the ball a little nudge just enough to give it some angle coming down. But not always, so it's still a danger.

#709 9 years ago

Custom mod on the Tales from the Crypt. Used a Walking Dead plastic bank I've had for a few years and cut the base off so it fits in the empty space behind the Living Dead ramp. Waiting for something to arrive for what I think will be a terrific mod above the left ramp area.

10256447_10152338103478158_4287468257989119847_n.jpg10256447_10152338103478158_4287468257989119847_n.jpg

#726 9 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

TO THE GALLOWS!
Whipped up this little MOD this morning out of some scrap cedar. Thought I'd share... - One more MOD to install (Hint: lets go CHOPPING!) and I hope I can get to playing this machine more then messing with it. Ha!
The gallow actually fits well in the back left there, it jiggles a little bit and really adds to that left ramp without blocking anything.
Harvs

Really like the gallows pole. If you do a version 2.0, I suggest moving up the ramp more so that the noose is hanging in the empty space..,,or maybe just swing it over that way. Then you can find a figure to have hanging it in. That would look terrific.

#728 9 years ago

Ok here's what I was working on most of the weekend. Started off just planning to use the Keeper's head, but then I realized I could use the left hand on top of the wire forms. From a playing POV, it appears that the Keeper and ramps have merged and his left shoulder and arm are one of the wire forms. Pretty cool effect plus the blue LED installed inside the head for his eyes.

Then I realized I was able to use the right arm holding the candle if I made a metal bracket to secure it at the correct angle for glass clearance. Was planning to use an LED inside the candle, but even better was having enough clearance for the original flickering bulb. Looks tremendous and something that should be there from factory.

IMG_7243.JPGIMG_7243.JPG IMG_7246.JPGIMG_7246.JPG IMG_7247.JPGIMG_7247.JPG IMG_7252.JPGIMG_7252.JPG IMG_7254.JPGIMG_7254.JPG IMG_7259.JPGIMG_7259.JPG IMG_7256.JPGIMG_7256.JPG
#729 9 years ago

Made a video to show the glowing blue eyes and the flickering candle bulb effect.

#734 9 years ago

Very cool looking guillotine! Does it block the view of the ball when it's in the bumper area?

1 week later
#754 9 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

Just picked up my TFTC from Allentown on Saturday so I'm officially a member now! No, it wasn't the nasty one in the free play area. This was a deal that I had made in advance so it went straight from the seller's truck to mine. Spent today stripping the playfield for a good cleaning and waxing. There's a few broken/repaired plastics that you don't really notice unless you go into the machine but I think I might order a repro plastic set anyway. The wire ramps are going out to my powdercoater this week. Love all the mods that people are doing here! I was undecided between TFTC and JP but thought TFTC was much more mod-friendly. I'll post pics as things come together.

Welcome to the club. What color are you powder coating your wire forms? Def post pics.

#760 9 years ago

The playfield green sounds like a cool match. I was thinking a deep purple that matches the purple on the playfield when eventually I do mine.

1 week later
#765 9 years ago

I added a fluorescent green ball to the captive ball area. Looks really cool!

IMG_7300.JPGIMG_7300.JPG IMG_7303.JPGIMG_7303.JPG IMG_7301.JPGIMG_7301.JPG
#767 9 years ago

Yup, just removed th two posts....only need to remove one to swap balls, but I replaced the post sleeves at the same time. I bought the ball from a Pinsider who had an extra one.

#770 9 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

And still the toughest shot to hit. Looks nice but hitting that ball fives times is a challenge especially sometimes if does not read if on direct hit.

The green at least makes the ball stand out and might make for an easier target and maybe the lighter weight of the ball might mean more target hits. Time will tell. My wife said she already finds herself aiming for the captive ball more often too.

#773 9 years ago
Quoted from cableguy918:

looks good, are those black light LED's?

No, the blue in the back are blue LED strips, but they do give off a great effect like that. I have a few UV LEDs to get the pinblade sideart to pop a bit. But don't like the bright white UV, so going to switch to actual blacklight LEDs.

1 week later
#831 9 years ago

Anyone still selling the flipper fingers? I'd like to buy another set as a spare. One of mine broke and I glued it back on the flipper and you can't tell, but would like to have spares.

#833 9 years ago

I can check that tonight because I'm installing a color changer LED under the scoop anyway.

#838 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Thanks PoMC
I put a colour changer under mine too.
Its not very bright and you wouldn't notice it .
going to change it to red maybe.

I was wondering how bright it would be because the one in my SST scoop isn't very bright. But it also doesn't have a close, direct, line of sight like TFTC's scoop appears to have. I was think otherwise maybe green since the creature feature light on the scoop is green too.

#841 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I was wondering how bright it would be because the one in my SST scoop isn't very bright. But it also doesn't have a close, direct, line of sight like TFTC's scoop appears to have. I was think otherwise maybe green since the creature feature light on the scoop is green too.

I installed two red LEDs under the scoop and it looks pretty good. My wife liked the red better than the green anyway.

Did some other major playfield mods - like replacing the wood wall between the shooter lane and right outlane with a cool rock wall that matches the rock wall graphics on the plastics. Also topped the shooter lane wall and left outlane wall with the rock wall. Gives the playfield a 3D, custom look that matches the theme. Also added cemetery walls up along the left ramp, which gives the Werewolf orbit a great 3D tunnel type effect and builds up the ramp and really completes it.

Also installed the color changing LED flipper kit I got for free from Cointaker at the Allentown show for spending >$100.

Last night my wife designed and built a fresh grave site with tombstone that has been placed above the scoop and added a tombstone on the metal gate for the werewolf spinner. Still have a few other minor touches to add and then I'll post pics.

Oh, we also installed the pinblade artwork, instead of just having it temporarily taped in place while waiting for me to finish some work under the playfield.

I'm confident to say this TFTC is the most beautiful one in existence. My was surprised to see how bare TFTC looks stock when she played it at the Allentown show.

#853 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I put a second ball into the captive ball area and took the left post rubber off.
can hit it more often now but sometime I crack it and still I dont get it

That's a pretty good idea.

#854 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

the micro switch at the end of the ball trough is not showing up on the dmd when I have the game in switch test mode, It is not working so I am having issues with multi ball, can someone take a look at there switch and tell me if the diode on the switch is supposed to be attached to something? mine is not if you look at the pics , the non banded side is not attached to anything

Wish you posted this yesterday because I had the playfield up last night to replace flipper coil sleeves. I might have time to check tonight though.

#855 9 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

I am in the club!

Congrats! First thing to do, IMO, is to remove most of the backbox bulbs to reduce the glare it on the playfield from the translite. God that was awful when I first got my TFTC. Took out nearly every white bulb and replaced with color LEDs and even then I still did not populate every socket. Could barely track the ball through the left orbit and in the pops area because of the glare. I can see the glare in your pics.

#860 9 years ago
#861 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

What rules for the game would you change if you could?
Thunderstorm definitively needs to score more for the first ramp,
Psycho pops is too hard!less pops/more time,
maybe 20 spins in frightmare!
Also I hate the way the clock keeps going if you start multi ball during a CF!
Not a fan of the auto advancing CRYPT lights after a ball drains.(great for guests tho)
I do love super guillotine and keeper targets.
I think there always my best scoring rounds.
I put a second ball into the captive ball area and took the left post rubber off.
can hit it more often now but sometime I crack it and still I dont get it

Agree with more time or less hits required for Pyscho Pops.
Lower amount of spins for Frightmare.

Hmmm...will need to start thinking of things when playing now and also see what input my wife may have.

#865 9 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

I already had this thought... Was thinking about yellow lights instead... I had thought this before at Pinball Wizard in NH. Can't see anything with the glare. Great call.

On page 14 of this thread I took pics of the bulbs I installed in the backbox. No glare and the translite looks great. I think I swapped those two lower right greens with another color since those pics, but you can see I don't have all the sockets populated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/14

#866 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Hay. When a ball pops out of the scoop where does it go on your machine?
On mine it always went straight into the outline. Very annoying.
Have it shooting towards the flipper now by moving the coil.

My scoop ejects the ball to the right flipper every time and I can let the ball dead pass to the left flipper every time. Perfect for when multiball and Extra Ball is lit and make that shot.

#877 9 years ago

Finished the right wall along the left ramp last night. Have a Skull Crackin' mod to finish tomorrow if I have time and then a few other little touches. Need to order a few black light LEDs too.
Pics soon.

#878 9 years ago

Ok, here's the Skull Crackin' mod in progress. Need some more skulls to finish what I'm doing and also need to wire a color changing LED inside, but I tested the LED on my workbench and it's a great glowing effect from the inside of the skull pile.

(ignore the large skull, it's not being used)

photo-481.JPGphoto-481.JPG

#880 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurrecting-tftc-a-clearcoat-powdercoat-adventure
Here's a thread I did detailing my game refresh.
Also, does anyone have a guillotine skill shot decal they'd like to sell? I can buy outright or trade for new spinner decals.

I may have a spare drop target decal I can send you. I'll check.

#882 9 years ago

Just installed new flipper coils and sleeves...wow! Can easily make the left ramp now instead of 1/2 way up or just barely making it around the top curve. MUCH better!

#884 9 years ago

Yeah mine probably were original coils/sleeves. HUGE difference and my wife noticed right away when playing tonight,

#891 9 years ago

Where did you buy the dampening foam? I wanted some for another game, but only could find it on one site and they didn't have other items I needed. So didn't want to pay shipping for a piece of foam....cheap bastard that I am.

#895 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Never get bounce outs?
I thought every one did.I also have just added a cliffy and fell like its making it harder.

Bounce outs, as in the ball is going in cleanly in the scoop and then bounces out? Can't say that happens to me.

My TFTC came with a cliffy installed and I removed it after several days because it does make it more difficult to make the shot. I have a little wear that was repaired and can't even notice it at all when playing. If I ever sell or trade the pin, I'll just install the cliffy again. But better off without it because it does hinder game play IMO.

#899 9 years ago

Just took a video of the mods completed so far.

Going to replace the shooter lane walls I installed with the walls that match the ones I installed along the Werewolf orbit. Still need to finish and install the Skull Crackin' pile of skulls mod and finish securing the fresh grave over the scoop. Few other touches to finish or add as well. But coming along nicely.

Funny thing about the video is that I had my jukebox playing in the background and Youtube muted the video due to copyright infringement.

#904 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just took a video of the mods completed so far.
Going to replace the shooter lane walls I installed with the walls that match the ones I installed along the Werewolf orbit. Still need to finish and install the Skull Crackin' pile of skulls mod and finish securing the fresh grave over the scoop. Few other touches to finish or add as well. But coming along nicely.
Funny thing about the video is that I had my jukebox playing in the background and Youtube muted the video due to copyright infringement.
» YouTube video

Oh yeah, the reason I pause a while on the slings is to show the color changing LEDs in them.

#905 9 years ago

Swapped out the rat with a bat head. Rat was too large and didn't scale right IMO, but looked cool. For $.50 though, it was worth trying out. Got this bat head today from the flea market for .$50 also, which is where I find most of my mod inspiration....this was actually a Pez dispenser.

Scales much better than the rat, although still keeping an eye out for a rubber bat of an appropriate size and also able to slip over the ramp bulb to illuminate the eyes. But looks pretty cool.

Bummed that the guy I bought the stone skulls from wasn't there this weekend. But I can still installed my Skull Crackin' mod and just add the additional skulls I wanted when I see him again.

(seeing these pics reminds me I still have to install the new drop target decals)

DSC00498.JPGDSC00498.JPG
DSC00506.JPGDSC00506.JPG

#908 9 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Nice work!
Can you tell me where you got the inside art?

Yup, money well spent. Got a great deal from Joe Raptor at the Allentown show.

http://www.pingraffix.com/#!product/prd1/1461717981/metallica-creeping-death-pinblades

#909 9 years ago
Quoted from kjm8888:

I converted my DMD display to a color LCD using Dr Pinball's DMD Extender.
» YouTube video
The green is a bright green to match the Powdercoating on the ramps as well as the PF artwork. It looks washed out in the video. The LEDs at havoc with the iPad exposure meter. I'll get in-game video when I have someone to do video while I play.

Looks cool. I just added a red filter over the DMD and think it fits the theme well for $4.

I'd like to see gameplay video if you have time to take another video.

#910 9 years ago

Oh, here's pics of the other flea market mod I added. $3 and I now have a great Play the Organ mod for that ramp to cover the bulb, socket and wires.

DSC00509.JPGDSC00509.JPG

DSC00517-303.JPGDSC00517-303.JPG

DSC00511-292.JPGDSC00511-292.JPG
#915 9 years ago

It's solid. Maybe the one at the show was loose or something?

#916 9 years ago

Received my new walls in the mail today and replaced the ones I originally replaced the black wood shooter wall with. The other ones I just wasn't happy with the bland gray color.

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
tftc wall.JPGtftc wall.JPG

#918 9 years ago

Off eBay. They are 28mm scale miniatures for playing games like Warhammer and other games like that. Used for cover for soliders during battle. hahaha

Have to get another set when they are back in stock. You can see the original gray walls I used on the right side of the shooter lane. I need another set to cut the tops off so the other side of the lane matches. Same walls I used on both sides of the left ramp for a cool 3D effect that really built up the ramp and orbit.

#920 9 years ago

Sure, here's the link. They are currently out of stock, but they do have some great looking other walls. Just figured the gravestone walls were the perfect choice.

ebay.com link: itm

#923 9 years ago

What do you mean they go dead? What happens?

#925 9 years ago

Try tightening the allen screws where the flipper shaft comes down into. Sounds like that's all it is.

#929 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Finally got to Crypt Jam! Put up 860 mil and had a blast. Really digging the clear coated playfield, new plastics, and smoooooooth LEDs using Herg's DE board.

Wow! My HS is 347m on 3 ball.

3 weeks later
#945 9 years ago

I just used double sided 3M tape to secure the walls to the playfield. The screw holes from the wood wall could be used to screw the walls down, but I didn't think that would work well since you need more two and a half wall pieces to equal the length of the wood wall. So the holes won't like up for securing each piece and you'd also need at least two screws per wall piece.

#947 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Does the ball bounce of the wall more then having the wood piece there?

Nope. Ball doesn't touch it when launching and when draining it goes right down quickly. It's not a bouncy rubber. And even with the raised gravestones facing the drain lane, the ball doesn't seem to get slowed down.

#949 9 years ago

Oh I see what you mean. hahaha

1 week later
#960 9 years ago

I am nearly complete with my Skull Crackin' mod. The guy I was buying skulls from was gone from the flea market for 5 weeks, so I ended up buying more from China....shipped via a slow boat.

Just got back from a work trip and hope to have finishing touches completed this weekend.

1 month later
#1014 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

75% of my balls are going SDTM after the plunge into the drop targets. The follow up ball is usually okay. Anyone else have this issue? I may need to adjust the incline... I just inboxed the game after a move.

Easy adjustment. The metal ball guide where the ball launches, remove the top most screw and then bend the guide to correct the shot. I leave my screw out and every so often need to slightly bend the guide to correct the shot. Was a major issue when I first got the game. Everyone would get annoyed at the SDTM even though the ball save is generous and one of the relaunches would be fine.

#1022 9 years ago

Spirit Halloween has great stuff for this game. Wait until the day after Halloween and the entire store is 50-75% off.

#1023 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

has anyone else done the eye ball mod yet? looks great when they are lit up with the led's

20140905_094158.jpg 308 KB

20140905_094143.jpg 220 KB

Ever get the feeling that you're being watched?

1 week later
#1036 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I may join this club again soon. Any way to reduce the crypt keeper cackling? We all love him but if I remember before it drive me crazy hitting the left ramp.

You can remove the wire gate or disconnect the gate switch.

#1051 9 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

And more quotes from the Cryptkeeper, his laughing does not bug me. Loved the show and game.

Doesn't bother me at all, I love the laughing! It's mocking me when I only trip the gates and don't make it up the ramps.

#1055 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Would chips have to be replaced if new rules and sounds were added? What all is involved with that kind of swap and how much would it cost? Never done it before that's why I ask.

Just did it for my new Star Wars....remove a chip, insert a chip. Done.

#1066 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Once it is slid out can it rest on the lockdown bar area so you can shop the back, like you can w a wpc pin?

Yes, there are two metal bracket type things that can prop up the playfield like that.

#1084 9 years ago

Hmmm..I think it does go off fairly often now that I think about it. Don't think there's a setting other than "Proprietary" on/off.

#1092 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Seems like it shakes at te appropriate times, but just too strongly. Feels like the pin will shake apart
How (or is) this adjustable?
@yetti: yep. Grabbed that one off cl.

What I noticed I need to do with mine is place some weather stripping on the backbox behind the backglass to eliminate the excessive vibration when the shaker is on. Press against your backglass when the shaker is on and I bet in gets rid of the extra vibrations and noise.

#1106 9 years ago

Received my new set of flipper fingers so I can replace my broken left finger. Had to make a few other adjustments while I had the glass off, so I figured I'd take some updated pics. Of course after I take the pics I noticed the organ player's temporary tape loosened. Need to mount it permanently now that I know I'm keeping him over the right ramp entrance.

The skull pile over Skull Crackin' has a red flickering LED inside and the hanging skulls shake when the shaker motor is on.

20140922_185028.jpg20140922_185028.jpg
20140922_185038.jpg20140922_185038.jpg
20140922_185143.jpg20140922_185143.jpg
20140922_185258.jpg20140922_185258.jpg
20140922_185340.jpg20140922_185340.jpg
20140922_185432.jpg20140922_185432.jpg
20140922_185411.jpg20140922_185411.jpg
20140922_185458.jpg20140922_185458.jpg

20140922_184900-725.jpg20140922_184900-725.jpg
20140922_184818-185.jpg20140922_184818-185.jpg

#1111 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Guys: someone talk about shopping the top of the pf. I.e steps involved In the tear down
About to get into mine. Wondering about the order of taking ramps off etx.

Wish I could help, but the prior owner of mine did a great shop job before I bought it. This is the only pin I've owned that I haven't done a tear down shop job.

#1112 9 years ago

But that said, I've just done my other tear downs by taking lots of before pics and then plenty of during pics when removing every piece. I didn't have a guide to follow when tearing down Baywatch, which is a beast of wire and plastic ramps.

I just start with the basics that can be removed without having to remove something else, like slings. Then if a wire ramp is connected to a sling, you've already got the bottom ready to remove. Usually I'll then remove any ramps that can be removed by themselves, like wire ramps because they block a lot of playfield parts. You'll figure it out as you go. No real wrong way to do it as long as you're not busting stuff.

#1137 9 years ago

The only software fix I need is:

Stop the goddamn guillotine chopping sounds after 10 seconds or so. Fucking annoying to hear CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP while waiting for the other play to start their ball....or if you just walk away after a ball to refill a drink or whatever.

#1147 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Won't have time to do the relocation just yet.
But Want to change batteries now as precaution.
WIll i have to redo a zip tie in there ... in which I'd have to remove board? Or will holder stay in place with cut zip tie?

You can cut the zip tie. It's just there to really securely hold the batteries in place. I don't use a zip on any of my holders, the batteries stay in place just fine. So you remove that zip and you'll still have to pry the batteries out.

#1148 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You guys are thinking like I am thinking.
Did anyone pay close attention to the TftC that was in the hallway at the DK Pinball booth at MGC this past spring?

Seriously, I will buy a custom ROM with the only change being the guillotine sounds removed or timed out. That's worth $50 to me right now.

#1167 9 years ago

Yeah, here's how I did my backbox lighting because the glare from it fully lit, even with incandescent bulbs, was horrific. Barely could see the ball when it was in the pops and tough to see it go up the left orbit. Sucked huge and I was really disappointed when I first got the game home and played it.

photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG

#1168 9 years ago

Actually that pic is how I originally did the LEDS. But the green in the lower right didn't look natural washed out in green. I also added a color changer LED which is behind the guy in the wife beater under the Keeper's chin. In the pics below you can see where the color changer has changed colors.

20140925_174705.jpg20140925_174705.jpg
20140925_174607.jpg20140925_174607.jpg
20140925_174624.jpg20140925_174624.jpg
20140925_174601.jpg20140925_174601.jpg

#1169 9 years ago

If you look close at the first pic, you can see the weather stripping I installed along each side. Totally eliminates the vibration and rattling of the glass mine had when the shaker motor was on.

#1171 9 years ago

Yeah it's amazing how filthy that black dust gets everywhere. My Starship Troopers was just filthy underneath and when I cleaned it, man, the inserts really glowed.

#1172 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah it's amazing how much of that filthy black dust gets everywhere. My Starship Troopers was just filthy underneath and when I cleaned it, man, the inserts really glowed.

#1176 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anyone decrease coil power?
I rebuilt the flippers and man, the ball really zings. Causes air balls off the drops.
Thinking of reducing power. Anyone?

Yeah, I get airballs sometimes off the drop targets also. It's a Data East thing, all of mine always had airballs from something. My Star Wars gets wicked airballs that can launch into the shooter lane or the wire ramp when hitting the two standups above the left flipper with a solid shot.

I never tried reducing coil power because before rebuilding my right flipper, a lot of shots wouldn't make it all the way up the ramp.

Just the other day I replaced the white rubber behind the targets with black rubber and it seems to help absorb some impact.

#1185 9 years ago

I just lift the playfield all the way up, slide it forward in the rails and then lean it back against the backbox. Ain't gonna fall if you do that.

#1208 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Bobbyt: don't go bending anything. Let's get the consensus on here of what it's supposed to do first.
Are you missing the rubber post sleeve on the left side of that game? That is what my ball hits when it's redirected towards the right side inlane.

My halfway ramp shots usually go to the right sling/inlane area on the way back down the ramp. Once in a while I guess it can come close to SDTM, but not often at all.

#1210 9 years ago

Just played a few games and even my half assed shots up the ramp still hit the left post and went to the right side of the playfield, not even close to SDTM. Even shots just 1/4 way up.

#1211 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just played a few games and even my half assed shots up the ramp still hit the left post and went to the right side of the playfield, not even close to SDTM. Even shots just 1/4 way up got bumped to the right.

1 week later
#1232 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Welcome to the crypt!

image.jpg 265 KB

image-330.jpg 265 KB

Looks great! Would you mind taking a video of it in action when you have some time?

2 months later
#1405 9 years ago
Quoted from radrats:

Over in the 'Hardest shot in pinball' thread, some people are saying the right ramp in Tales is the hardest shot in pinball, but I would have to disagree.

Don't agree either. Doesn't seem TOO difficult...maybe to hit several times in a row. If you're calling out TFTC for a difficult shot, then for me it would have to the the Skull Crackin' captive ball.

1 month later
#1457 9 years ago

A few weeks ago I put the UV light strips that are used for a Metallic mod. One on each side of the cabinet the run from the lockdown bar to the rear. They direct UV down onto my reactive pinblade artwork and make the neon green on the play field pop brightly. Will see how it turn out in pics.

#1464 9 years ago

That's what artwork I have for pinblades, The Creeping Death Metallic arwork. Theme is gravestones and lightning, which blends perfectly with the plastic at the rear of the playfield. Plus it is UV reactive and the UV strips included work perfectly with TFTC. You get the awesome UV artwork from the blades AND the playfield reacts to it and the green glows beautifully.

#1472 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The Refinery will sell you another pair of decals like the ones on the strip plastic that you can put on the top to block the light. I payed $18 shipped. Contact them.

I don't have the decal strip for the top of my UV lights. Didn't know they existed. During my test installation to decide if I like the lights, I just used a long strip of black electrical tape to black out the top of the clear plastic. Looks great, but now that I know decals exist, I'll have to get them.

And you cannot see the lights at all even when standing off the either side.

#1481 9 years ago

I'd buy a ROM from Chad with just the guillotine sounds removed. Right now. Seriously, that's my only gripe with the game...can't play 2 or more players without that damning loud chopping sound when waiting for their turn or when you step away for another drink.

2 weeks later
#1507 9 years ago

Has anyone found a replacement thumb lever for the door handle shooter? Just got a Tales to shop and mod for a friend and it has a button instead of the thumb lever. Going to look at hardware stores for one that works, but figured I'd ask in case anyone replaced one already.

#1509 9 years ago

I have a complete handle on my personal Tales, so I'm lucky as well.

I'll try to figure something out and will certainly post if I do.

Side note, I took the great advice on this thread to add a 2nd ball in the captive ball area. Hits register more often, which makes for more fun multiballs when able to add a ball when hitting the captive ball.

#1519 9 years ago

Been playing my Tales almost exclusively the past week and really enjoying it. Realized that I need to adjust the pop bumper's solenoids switches to be much more sensitive.

#1529 9 years ago

I really dig the red cabinet background for sure!

#1530 9 years ago

If anyone is interested, I have a thread about shopping out and modding a TFTC for a fellow Pinsider.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tales-from-the-crypt-1

1 week later
#1536 9 years ago

Wondering if you came up with using the Crypt Keeper candelabra head and hands on your own, or if you saw the photos I posted here when I did it?

I have two more TFTC pins I'm working on now and one will use the same candelabra setup and so will the other one if I can find another for $30. Great mod to the playfield that really adds depth and a terrific look.

#1538 9 years ago

Yup, that was my video.

I think it's a terrific mod and very inexpensive as well. Fills in that empty space at the ramp so well. Great looking game you have.

#1539 9 years ago

And the flickering candle bulb is another great effect.

3 months later
#1605 8 years ago

Loved the DESW code and wish this new code would be released already. I don't care about any bug fixes, just want the guillotine chopping sounds before the ball launch to be gone. Fucking annoying in home use.

2 months later
#1674 8 years ago

I got my ROM burner yesterday. No word back yet on my PM.

2 weeks later
#1686 8 years ago

Been running the code for maybe two weeks now and IT IS FANTASTIC! The numerous additional callouts are fantastic! The Skull Crackin' mode that now begins as a 2-ball multiball is excellent and no more endless CHOP CHOP CHOP of the skill shot while waiting for a player to plunge the ball is priceless.

#1687 8 years ago

This is the burner I bought and it is the cheapest I've found and will serve all your burning needs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K73TSLM

You'll also need a UV eraser to erase your existing EPROMs if you're just re-using your existing ROMs and not buying blanks.

ebay.com link: itm

They pay for themselves if you frequently buy or trade pins and need to upgrade ROMs since it's an average of $15-$20 to buy ROMs from someone.

I just wiped my existing ROMs and burned the new code to them, so you just need an eraser instead of buying blanks.

#1692 8 years ago

Burning is very easy and this was my first time burning ROMs. If you can install a Windows program, plug in a USB device and follow directions, then you can burn ROMs. I'd be happy to burn them for anyone here, but you'd need to either send me a set of ROMs - either the ones from your TFTC or blanks. Tip - if you have other Data East games and have upgraded the ROMs and still have the old ROMs, then those will work. For example I have my old, original, Lethal Weapon ROMs that I kept after installed the newer version ROMs.

#1694 8 years ago

Make sure you donate to Chad too. Have gotten a handful of PMs this morning asking to burn the ROMs, which I gladly will do. But please donate to Chad for all his hard work. This update is like getting a new game to play with the new rules, new 2 ball multiball (Skull Crackin') and all the MANY new callouts really freshen up the game.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=EOKUjQD1ZVXwv6selCFnZLFR4bKP-FEabZGqSGnKqJarkv0J6PN2rXVd2Jy&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d0b9dcb01a9b6dc564e45f62871326a5e

^^ Donation link from Chad's site ^^

#1705 8 years ago

I'll be at York on Friday and can bring a few sets of ROMs to trade for blanks/used ROMs to save time on mailing back and forth.

1 month later
#1832 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

My cliffy sticks up on the side and it's causing a lot of blocks. What have you guys done to fix this?

Mine came with a Cliffy installed and I removed it after a few days because it does cause some balls to not make it in the hole. Already a difficult shot and doesn't need to have the difficulty increased.

2 weeks later
#1838 8 years ago

Can anyone tell me the size or part # for the posts at the entrance for each ramp? I've ordered the wrong diameter threaded base (too large) it seems. Part # appears to be 530-5007-00, but for some reason the #10 base seems to be too large for those holes.

#1839 8 years ago

Just found this info on a DE Star Wars posting and looks like what post was there before had a smaller diameter base. They had been replace by previous owner by the larger diameter posts with post bumper rubbers and that made each ramp entrance narrower. So looks like I have the right posts and just need to drill the holes slightly larger.

Service Update:
Stern recommends using this stronger 530-5332-03 post instead of 530-5007-00 post. The 530-5007-00 snaps too easily and has been discontinued.

Drill a wider hole and secure the 530-5332-00 post with 240-5203-00 nut or 4410-01132-00 Nylok nut.

2 months later
#1966 8 years ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

Hi Chaps,
Just got around to installing the v4 ROMs, really impressed!
It has left me with 4 sets of blank ROMs I could program up for someone, if there is anyone in the UK that doesn't have the ability to program their own just let me know and we can sort something out. Postage will be cheap and the chips were one a couple of quid each on eBay. I assume I'm not breaking any forum rules if there is no charge?
Also, installed the Metal sound track onto the Pinsound board this week. I have to say, what an upgrade that is! Totally different dimension to the game! Of all the tinkering and upgrades I've done on this machine over the past 10 years, this wins hands down! It has inspired me to have a go making my own sound tracks too. Anyone else tried that?
Cheers
Cris

I'd like to see and hear a video of the metal soundtrack, or at least have more info because it sounds interesting.

#1967 8 years ago

Found this video though:

2 months later
#2089 7 years ago

That's a really nice alternate translite.

9 months later
#2327 7 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Let's see some LEDS and mods!!

How can you even see the ball when it's in the upper half of the playfield? The glare from all the backbox LEDs and the speaker LEDs is off the charts. I remember getting my TFTC and the prior owner had put all bright white LEDs in the backbox and the glare prevented me from even seeing the ball when it was up in the pops.

#2332 7 years ago

Guarantee you can't track the ball up in the top playfield. I see the glare of the backglass shining bright on the playfield glass. Tftc has the worst glare when using backbox leds out of any game I've owned.

#2336 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Take about half the bulbs out of the backbox, there are way too many bulbs in there--looks much better with them removed.

That's what I did.

1 year later
#3184 5 years ago

Is there a video or audio of Hassard/Hazzard's TFTC pinsound?

#3188 5 years ago

Count me in for a protector too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 16.00
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy
Toppers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Life
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Denver, CO
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier?tu=pomc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.