image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippernts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3799 3 years ago

Just picked up a TFTC. Sound is not working. Get a loud hum out of the speakers is all.

I checked the power to the board, but beyond that have not dove too far into it. Any tips or items I should check. Trying to not go down a rabbit hole with no direction

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Try turning up the volume pot when you open the coin door (assuming you haven't done this already).

That is a fair question
I did check the pot and also put a meter on it and verified it was working properly directly at the pot and at the connection to the sound board.
10KOhm between the black and red legs, and varied from 10K to 0 when measured from white wire to black and white wire to red.

#3804 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I felt guilty even typing it... but I've had many friends new to pinball ask me how to adjust the volume and even found a machine I passed on where the speakers were stuffed with fiberglass cause they didn't know about the volume pot lol
I'd probably look at the sound board, remove (and reseat) the eeproms and inspect for any corrosion. Maybe examine the other connections for cold solder joints. Bust out the logic probe (after verifying it is not a voltage problem first) and inspect the PAL chips?
This might be another stupid point to check... but I think you can disable the sound entirely as an option in diagnostics. Maybe check for an option like that? I'm not home to look at mine.
check voltages +5 volts, -5 volts, +12 volts, and -12 volts. Bad voltage regulator? Bad connections?
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#sound
Is a good resource.

No offense taken Thanks for the link.

Board looks good- No visible corrosion.

I'm not sure if i know how the PAL chips work in order to test them, but I do have a logic probe and am looking to educate myself on that.

I verified all the voltages with the exception of -5V. I was unclear of where to physically check the -5volts on the sound board. I may just be over looking, but I am having a hell of a time finding C49.

#3806 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

[quoted image]

Again, thanks so much! I'm apparently blind.

I checked voltages on C49 -5V and C47 +5V and measure properly (Picture below)

Color coded my meter leads for confirmation of voltage measurements.

Looks like PAL Chips are where I need to go from here? I am not sure where to order them from, or how to test to see if they are bad in the first place I suppose....

Any tips?

Sound board (resized).PNGSound board (resized).PNG
#3808 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

check the CPU? I guess the PALS fail less often than other components.
Pinballspareparts has them (U19 and U20). On the repair wiki I sent you, there is a link to contact someone to get them as well.

Sounds good. The link on the wiki doesn't load so I will check pinballspareparts!

#3811 3 years ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

If you end up needing to replace the sound board I can highly recommend a PinSound, I have one in my TFTC and it's one of my favourite mods.
For a long time there was some kind of bug with the first version of the PinSound board that prevented it working very well on Data East machines. But this has been fully resolved on the latest versions.
Cheers
Cris

I defiantly was interested in PinSound, but I want to make sure my sound board is the actual issue before I pay for anything of that cost for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippernts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier?tu=flippernts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.