image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cyrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2459 6 years ago

This might be more just a Data East question, but since I'm dealing with my TFTC thought I'd opt it out in case anyone has seen a like situation. Just about done "shopping out" my TFTC. It was a long ago re-import from Spain and HUO the last decade or so.

The final thing I wanted/needed to do was replace the micro-switch http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5101-00 that signals the solenoid to shoot the ball into the shooter lane. It was not always firing.

When I went to take off the old switch I saw that the diode was no longer connected (see photo). I looked on line and found under-playfield photos of JP which seems to have the same configuration, and the diode was connected. I reconnected the diode after which the coil would no longer fire. The ball would only be ejected into the shooter lane during a ball search. I disconnected the diode and the solenoid immediately began firing again.

Is anybody else's Tales configured the same way--with the diode detached? If anyone has a photo of their switch that they can share I'd be grateful.

It was like that when I got the game a few months ago; not a show stopper but one of those little things that bugs me. I fixed all the other wiring issues, and this one of the last issues I have remaining. I can easily change a diode, but wanted to get some more information on this first. Thanks!

DSC01928 (resized).JPGDSC01928 (resized).JPG

#2463 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Diode is present and needed....I'd replace it and you should be good....

Ok, thanks. Maybe the diode went bad at some point and somebody decided to disconnect it entirely. I'll put a new one on today. Thanks for the photo.

4 weeks later
#2478 6 years ago

Today got my new ROMs from John Wart and loving this upgrade.

But...quick question. My TFTC came with lots of small issues and one by one I've fixed them.

I thought I had everything sorted but was installing the ROM upgrade and realized I have a loose grounding wire. Does anyone know where this one goes???? It's on the bottom right of the back box. I can't find any info on line or in the owners manual.

Thanks.

IMG_0677 (resized).JPGIMG_0677 (resized).JPG

IMG_0678 (resized).JPGIMG_0678 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#2507 6 years ago

Hi Everybody. I'm almost at that point where I've done all I can with my TFTC. I bought it about five months ago and have had a lot of fun restoring it. I'm down to one missing item:

I need the reddish/orange piece of plastic that sits just behind the drop-down targets. Mine is broken. I only had a handful of broken plastics when I bought the game and managed to track them down one by one on Ebay. I just can't get my hands on the last piece. I know Classic Playfields did a run on the plastics in 2014, but they are now out of stock and no longer carrying them, and even if they did, I only need the one piece. If you have any old TFTC plastics (actually if you have this piece) and want to sell/part with it, please send me a PM.

BTW, the glass on mine was scratched up pretty good when I bought the game. I decided to try something new and bought a sheet of "Bob's Ultimate Pinball Glass." I was very happy with the product. Best, Cyrus

DSCF9037 (resized).JPGDSCF9037 (resized).JPG

DSCF9038 (resized).JPGDSCF9038 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#2520 6 years ago

I'm usually pretty conservative with MODS, preferring instead PF protectors, Cliffy's, etc as additions to my pins. However, I was at the York, PA pinball show on Friday and the folks from Lermods were there (which was great because this year the show seemed to be scarce on vendors). Anyway, I was eyeing a skull/coffin MOD when they were at Allentown earlier this year but for some reason never went back to get it, probably because I had already spent a small fortune on side blades, lights, and a Lasserific topper for my AS. Anyway this MOD was made for Metallica, but I saw potential for it in TFTC. I installed it this morning. It fit perfectly over the shooter lane. I used double sided tape to secure it, and attached the alligator clips to the 12V flasher connected to the left ramp. The switch activates a row of red LEDS in side the coffin. I thought it really came out great and wanted to share in case any of you are thinking about adding some MODS to our game. Best, Cyrus

P.S. BTW, a few weeks back I posted to see if anyone had a hard-to-find plastic I needed for my TFTC. I have to give a shout out to Tonylo909 who had a spare and sent it to me, showing again how the folks on Pinside make up one really awesome community.

IMG_1727 (resized).JPGIMG_1727 (resized).JPG

IMG_1728 (resized).JPGIMG_1728 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#2599 6 years ago

Hey guys, here is my "Tales" of woe....

A few months ago a new problem creeped up. What happens is when the ball drains, the game still thinks it is in play. All the trough switches tested fine in diagnostics. After a few ball searches the game puts a ball in the shooter lane and fires. When that one drains, the game proceeds to the next ball. I replaced the far left trough switch (P/N 180-5119-00) anyway. No change. It's not the MPU. I have the original and a Rottendog back-up with the latest and the next to latest chips. With either MPU there is no change. I've reseated all the connectors, etc, etc, etc. I'm at a loss here. Just when I think I've got the game playing 100%, it throws another curve ball at me. Anybody seen this problem before? Thanks.

#2610 6 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

I had the same problem. I had to replaced all the ball trough switches and diodes. All of my switches also worked in test. My problem was the switches were bent just enough that when the ball would drain it would not allow all of the balls to align properly. I would notice after the ball search the coil in the kick out would fire and roll the balls just far enough. Forward that it would register and kick out a ball or I would push it with my finger after the drain. Funny thing my switches physically looked fine but, when I started to unbolt them 3 of the 6 just crumbled apart.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I am going to do tomorrow. I was just hoping to avoid replacing all of them but I think it just has to be done. Time to affixiate myself with the solder iron again!

3 weeks later
#2688 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone upgrade the speakers on their game with good results?

I bought the Pinball Pro speakers for my CFTBL and my Grand Lizard. The speakers are excellent but the sound capability of these older games is limited, at least from what I hear on my own pins. For Tales I just went to Marco and bought their inexpensive speakers to include the tweeters and woofer. I put them in and they sound fine to me. The sound was a definite improvement, but I just didn't need a great sound system to bring out the sounds and call outs in Tales.

3 months later
#2822 6 years ago

That looks great. You got a beautiful game there. When I LED’d mine out I used red flashers for the Cryptkeepers eyes (pf—just above the flippers). Looks cool when they light up. My game was player condition re import but I did have a lot of fun doing the rebuild and restoration. You’ll love this game.

10 months later
#3297 5 years ago

Hey there everybody. Just spent about five hours working on my Tales on this snow day. Replaced rubbers, several lights, one drop down target and spring, waxed table, and cleaned metal and plastic pieces. But it looks good and always nice to see an old machine shine, especially one you have painstakingly rebuilt. Was having some ghosting issues with non-ghosting LED's and finally just gave up and put incandescents into those particular sockets. I'm not going to worry about it.

Anyway, just wanted everybody to know that Cliffy is making an eject protector for our Tales. It is an easy install. I think I had to loosen a few bolts/screws to get it under the rail. He has double sided tape on the bottom and it goes right on. He sent me a prototype several weeks ago with an order I placed and it has held like a champ. If you want to get one, hit him up as I don't think it is updated on his web site. He is backed up with so many orders lately, so be patient.

Best. Cyrus

IMG_2579 (resized).JPGIMG_2579 (resized).JPG

#3298 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I still haven't hit the crypt jam mode yet.

Man, don't feel bad. I've had mine almost two years and have not hit it either!!!! lol

#3300 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Nice work! Regarding your ghosting issue, for me, there was a diode leg on the keeper targets that was touching the base of the bulb causing some ghosting. So maybe visually inspect your light socket diodes to make sure they aren't loose or too close to other components.

I’m thinking of just replacing the sockets and diodes with new ones. Mine look worn and there is rust or oxidation showing. I lost track of the hours I’ve spent rebuilding this game but now it plays like brand new.

2 weeks later
#3308 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

I hate the service pegs on data east. I got the mantis ones which were an upgrade but I much more preferred the slide rails on Simpson’s. I recently got some side art for tftc, and from a previous experience it’s easier to balance the play field with service rails like stern White star or Sam.
Long and short is I installed these SAM rails on my game today. So far so good, they seem slightly uneven so I might add a little furniture slider on one side. Already way better than the original
[quoted image]

Where did you get the rails? One thing that takes away from this game is the manhandling to get the damn PF up and those pegs (mine only had one) are useless.

2 weeks later
#3319 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I hadn’t played a Tales for about 10 years and bought a broken one (but in incredible aesthetic shape) locally last week. WOW! What a fun game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like it is in decent shape. What’s broken?

#3321 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Bad terminology, but bad power supply board. Replaced and had to tweak switches. Previous owner stated game had been dead for over 10 years

Now you need the ColorDMD mod. It really does wonders for the animations. Either way it looks like you scored a great find.

F18E65A2-B020-42A3-A264-12EFBE29E269 (resized).jpegF18E65A2-B020-42A3-A264-12EFBE29E269 (resized).jpeg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3325 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

I haven't installed it as I'll need help from my wife and the space between the play field and cabinet is very tight. Might need those plastic side protector things.
attached a photo of what they will look like
[quoted image]

Quoted from Boat:

I haven't installed it as I'll need help from my wife and the space between the play field and cabinet is very tight. Might need those plastic side protector things.
attached a photo of what they will look like
[quoted image]

I have the same ones in my Metallica but they work just as well with Tales, too.

4 weeks later
#3350 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I may just do that.
In other news...I just got my trough opto board today. Looking forward to seeing this in action.
[quoted image]

This is in place of the roll over switches in the trough? I never knew this was an option on Tales.

#3352 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yup...goodbye flaky switches! I actually caught a post in the JP club thread from davi .He was making them for JP so I PM'd him about one for my TFTC. Maybe send him a PM, he may have some extra lying around.

Ok, thanks. I sent him a PM. I replaced all of my roll over switches last year but I’d take an opto board over the switches anyday.

3 weeks later
#3394 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Personally I'd go with the Color DMD LED. Nothing needed to fit and has beautiful vibrant colors. Folks have had mounted the LCD version but it will require some work.

Totally agree. I’m happy with the LED. Easy install and one of the best mods you’ll ever put on your TFTC.

1 week later
#3409 4 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Joined the club today. I am going through the machine and I am having a problem with the scoop shoot kicking back. It doesn't kick back to the flippers but instead it kicks out to the right towards the upper flipper. Kinda strange. I inspected the scoop for warped or a broken weld and also looked at the coil. Both look good to me and cant seem to find a problem with it. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Mine had a similar problem but fixed it with a VUK rebuild kit and new solenoid. It was pretty easy to do and you can get the parts from Marco. The part numbers are in the TFTC owners manual.

3 weeks later
#3470 4 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Hi guys, I am looking for a replacement spinner frame like the one pictured. Its for the right hand side target on my tftc. The spinner target is OK.. just the frame has been all bent to hell somehow.. if any one knows where to find one it would be appreciated. Thanks
[quoted image]

Try Cliffy. He makes the ramp gates that I got from him a few years ago. Might have other parts for TFTC as well. Shoot him an e mail. http://www.passionforpinball.com/

1 month later
#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

BTW does anyone know where i can get a handle? That is the only thing I'm missing.

Rarely but occasionally see one on EBay. Awesome game room you have there.

1 month later
#3515 4 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Just became a member last weekend! Is anyone else here on the CPR list for a new PF? Mine is okay, but would definitely warrant a new PF if it was available.

Not here. I’d consider a new cabinet. My game was a re import from Spain. With the exception of the scoop, which I repaired with wood filler and then a Cliffy, my PF is in excellent condition and I keep it waxed. In my experience DE made some durable PF’s but a new one is going to look great if you can get it.

#3526 4 years ago
Quoted from tribetime13:

Greetings boils and ghouls - was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue....
Ball is not feeding into the shooter lane. Active switch test is correctly reflecting all the ball trough switches. Any thoughts on where to start?
TIA

This game and DE games produced during that period are known for shooter lane problems. This might help, as it did for me. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-de-ball-trough-switches#post-3883196

1 month later
#3563 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Played mine last night a bunch and an issue popped up. It seems like when in multi ball it started taking longer to pop the 2nd and 3rd ball out then normal. Also sometimes it only popped out the 2nd ball and not the 3rd. Of course when that happens and the 2nd ball drains and I only have only one ball in play the game still thought I had two and wouldn't end multi ball like it should. I looked down under the apron and saw there was an empty spot for the ball like one was missing. I pulled the apron and there was a ball sitting in the up kicker just sitting there. My guess is the opto for the ball up kicker is not working or is working intermittently. What does everyone do for this issue? Obviously clean the opto with a q tip and some alcohol I guess. Is there anything else I can try to do? Reflow solder somewhere?

Hi. Unless you have the upgrade there are no optos in the Tales ball trough area. Switches only. The ball trough on Tales is know to have issues as do like Data East games from that period. I ended up replacing my roll over switches as well as the switch that triggers the solenoid that fires the ball into the shooter alley. This might help. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-de-ball-trough-switches#post-3883196

1 month later
#3593 4 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Cliffy is your guy on this part.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/tftc/TFTC-orbit-515-5895-00.JPG
I purchased some TFTC ball gates from him a couple of years ago.
Gord

Ditto. I replaced all my gates on Tales with Cliffies. Scoop protector as well. Cliff is the man.

#3594 4 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Anyone got a PIN2DMD in their TFTC?

I went with a ColorDMD (LED) replacement. DE did a surprisingly great job with those early graphics. Well worth colorizing.

1 month later
#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Anyone have problems with this red bulb coming loose? The incandescent bulbs seems to grip and stay in but an LED seems to slip out. I tried bending the contacts in the socket but it didn’t help much.[quoted image]

I use a small slices of electrical tape, wrapped around the base to increase the girth.

2 weeks later
#3648 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

I bought a brass one on ebay and made it work, cost was around $15 shipped. Granted not the exact match, but it works and looks better than nothing!![quoted image]

That looks great. I understand that DE got the original handles from a hard ware store.

Marco still sells a replica, but if I needed one, I'd go your route. I think it looks better than the original.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5443-00

2 months later
#3695 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Some photos of my reimport (Spain).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is a re-import from Spain as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cyrus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier?tu=Cyrus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.