Topic Stats

• 3,232 posts
  • 254 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by aerobert
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 979 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0323 (resized).JPG
IMG_0322 (resized).JPG
IMG_0321 (resized).JPG
IMG_0320 (resized).JPG
7f42dd9a59ceebbca8b54c6ba8825716e0fba8af.jpg
8ba4121306ebf797064b15ee51cd09ef0f9d2eae.jpg
f83bc6440e801e28168b3e6c5976615cad2af8cb.jpg
4B4AEC6B-C36F-4E70-AD64-0E72F71FD1D1 (resized).jpeg
25F380DA-AA3E-44B5-95E7-7EFD6B5F2020 (resized).jpeg
20181023_160348 (resized).jpg
20180212_180515 (resized).jpg
20170908_002041 (resized).jpg
20181023_160319 (resized).jpg
20170908_002019 (resized).jpg
20181023_160500 (resized).jpg
20170908_002013 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#553 4 years ago

Just posted a video about my faulty Jurassic Park ball trough and how to fix it... TftC often has this same issue. Thought you might like to check this out.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr

4 months later
#671 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

New TFCT owner, just got it Saturday. What has anyone done to reduce the glare on the playfield glass from the translite? I'm finding the glare can be distracting around the pops and upper playfield.
The pin came with full LEDs, but I removed the backbox LEDs and replace with 44s, except for a few spots of color. Blue in the upper right, green lower right, orange keep face area. But the glare is still pretty bad even with the 44s installed and I'm using a DMD guard already.

I removed about 60% of the back box bulbs. Still plenty bright but definately lowers the glare.

2 weeks later
#702 4 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Proud new owner of a nice TFTC!
Just wanted to post a link to few trinkets I found on Ebay that I think will work great as custom MODS. I just bought a set, there's only 4 sets left.
ebay.com link
I plan on using them above both the ramps (may have to cut them down etc), will have to find a place for the Elvis one, or just use his head. I coulda swore I saw one of these listed as a MOD on Ebay a few wks ago for like $125 for just one of them.. Here's the set for $25, SCORE!
Enjoy,
Harvs

tftcM.JPG 158 KB

The one on the right is the one John Borg was planning on putting into the game behind the scoop. Check out my gallery here which includes a picture John Borg shared of that same model.

http://www.pinballcode.com/gallery/

1 month later
#821 4 years ago

The key here is to remove them all one by one and test each with a multimeter for continuity. Also, make sure they are the correct fuses. If someone "over fused" the game then that could cause another problem down the road.

This should be done with all new pin purchases. Every time I buy a used pinball machine there seems to be at least a couple incorrect fuses in there. It is always one of the first things I check.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

hey guys, I am new to the club , I just bought my tftc about a month ago, I am having a problem when I get the multi ball sometimes I will only have one ball left but the machine still runs in multi ball mode, the shaker motor keeps running and the jackpot is still lit up, when I lose the ball the second chance multi ball will run down and then it will reset all the switches and shoot another ball out, I am sure the guy I bought the game off of knew of this problem cause it happened as soon as I started playing it , shame on you ED

This might be your answer:

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

I put the game in switch test mode and I push that micro switch that is in the ball trough, (the switch that is in the video) and nothing happens, does that mean that micro switch is bad? would the game still work if that switch is bad? I push the flippers and the dmd tells me what switch it is , should that micro switch show up in the display?

Yes. Should definitely register on the display in switch test mode.

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

What rules for the game would you change if you could?
Thunderstorm definitively needs to score more for the first ramp,
Psycho pops is too hard!less pops/more time,
maybe 20 spins in frightmare!

Also I hate the way the clock keeps going if you start multi ball during a CF!
Not a fan of the auto advancing CRYPT lights after a ball drains.(great for guests tho)

I do love super guillotine and keeper targets.
I think there always my best scoring rounds.

Noted.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Congrats! First thing to do, IMO, is to remove most of the backbox bulbs to reduce the glare it on the playfield from the translite. God that was awful when I first got my TFTC. Took out nearly every white bulb and replaced with color LEDs and even then I still did not populate every socket. Could barely track the ball through the left orbit and in the pops area because of the glare. I can see the glare in your pics.

Agreed. I removed over half the back box bulbs to reduce the glare. Much nicer.

#858 4 years ago

Bobbyt, here's a pic.

image.jpg

1 week later
#897 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the Crypykeeper is saying when you hit the left ramp? Sounds like "fright fear" but that doesn't make sense.

#901 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I think he says "Fright here"... But I could be mistaken.
Since we're on the subject, are you planning a rules update for this game?

Well... here is my current Data East line up in my basement.

image.jpg

2 months later
#987 4 years ago

Dan,

The bent part if the ramp you are referring to might be normal.

Here is a pic of mine:
image.jpg

I don't have shop out pics but I'll gladly take any pics you need if you let us know what you need. Or better yet, post pics of your questionable parts and I can compare.

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Okay, figured out one place I really need... Ball trough area under playfield. I assume this is the same as JP, but I want to make doubley sure. My PF has only one switch currently on it and it doesn't register. Please make sure to include the trough upkicker and switch, those seem to be non-functioning at the moment.

image-520.jpg
image-228.jpg
image.jpg

image-147.jpg
image-468.jpg

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

First at the start of each ball the game doesn't recognize the ball, so a second ball comes up, then the door handle button works. The issue has to be in the trough assembly somewhere...right?

Anything like this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-ball-trough-fix-video-jplahtftctommywwfrrgnr

#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Anyone have a picture of the coil under the playfield arch?

IMG_6693[1].JPG

IMG_6694[1].JPG

3 weeks later
#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I've found after a while you just sorta get used to the insane cackling and live with it...

Not if I have my way.

#1046 4 years ago

Has anyone ever heard the Cryptkeeper say "put a little meat on your bonus" when you increase your bonus multiplier? Or any other time in general?

#1087 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Noticing the shaker goes off quite a bit. Not sure if it's normal or not.

Is there any way to stop it going off so
Much? Don't know if it should be going off this much or not.

Maybe it is just shaking too strong? If so, you can adjust the physical balance of it so when it does go off it won't shake so hard.

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Received my new set of flipper fingers so I can replace my broken left finger. Had to make a few other adjustments while I had the glass off, so I figured I'd take some updated pics. Of course after I take the pics I noticed the organ player's temporary tape loosened. Need to mount it permanently now that I know I'm keeping him over the right ramp entrance.
The skull pile over Skull Crackin' has a red flickering LED inside and the hanging skulls shake when the shaker motor is on.

Absolutely beautiful!!!

#1138 4 years ago

You guys are thinking like I am thinking.

Did anyone pay close attention to the TftC that was in the hallway at the DK Pinball booth at MGC this past spring?

2 weeks later
#1237 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Occasionally, I'm awarded 50 million points and I'm not sure why. One time it happened after a while in the pop bumpers, but it has happened a few other times as well. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Two possible scenarios here...

1) You have your Adjustment 4 - Game Awards (None, Extra Ball, Credit, Special) - set to None. But none is not really nothing, instead it awards points. Then whenever you reach an award level you are awarded 50 Million. I know... crazy amount of points especially when you are expecting nothing.

2) You have your Adjustment 4 set to Extra Ball but you already achieved the amount of allowed extra balls per game (set via Adjustment 6 - Limit Extra Balls) and then you achieved an award level... so instead the game give you the None option instead.

#1239 4 years ago

When you hit the Replay Level is one instance that this is awarded.

#1247 4 years ago

If you are going to be at the Pinball Life Open House on Friday... check out the TFTC there.

#1291 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I was wondering the same thing.

It's a color Dmd that just has a specific pallete assigned to it. It is not truly colorized.

1 week later
#1313 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Well yeah, you have to light bats 1 then collect it, light bats 2, then collect it, etc.
I guess the idea is that 4 shots to the ramp is too easy to accomplish but 8 isn't, I don't really know. I think I like the 8 shot requirement because I feel like 4 is, in fact, too easy.

The problem with the 8 ramp requirement is that it would take 8 x 4 = 32 ramp shots to get to Play the Organ in one ball. That's a lot of left ramp shots.

#1315 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Fair enough, I guess I viewed the left ramp as a way to advance the right ramp, while also trying for the right ramp shot as well. But I guess if you can hit the right ramp 5+ times on one ball, you'd probably avoid the left ramp and shoot for the right ramp anyway.
If only someone had the knowledge, and was in a position to fix such a problem. If only...

If you think about it... there is zero incentive to hit the left ramp (unless you are in a Creature Feature mode that features it or if you are in Multiball). Why hit it during normal play? It's kind of a dangerous shot because if you don't make it up the left ramp, the ball tends to head for the right outlane. Why hit it to advance the Bats if, instead, you can just go for the right ramp only which also advances and activates the Fast Goring modes?

If only...

#1321 4 years ago

My game tends to go SDTM during ball launch. How does everyone else's game behave at ball launch?

Mine launches, drops the middle drop target, then has probably a 50% chance of going SDTM... otherwise it might hit the left flipper but really far out near the tip.

I have it perfectly leveled at 6.5 degrees.

What happens when your game launches the ball?

#1330 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Can anyone tell me what the Cryptkeeper is saying when you hit the left ramp? Sounds like "fright fear" but that doesn't make sense.

Seriously.. does anyone know what he says here? Someone had mentioned it might be "fright here"... but I am still unsure. Even if I isolate the voice call, I can't figure it out.

Anyone know for sure?

#1334 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Seriously.. does anyone know what he says here? Someone had mentioned it might be "fright here"... but I am still unsure. Even if I isolate the voice call, I can't figure it out.

Anyone know for sure?

Here is a link to an isolated recording of the left ramp voice clip:
http://clyp.it/ritcmxy1

Any guesses as to what he is saying?

1 week later
#1359 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I never get add a ball on that thing shaub. I think it's poorly placed on the pf to make much difference. Wasted mode too...

What if that Skull Crackin' mode started as a two-ball? What if the scoring was 5M x Balls In Play? What if every time you hit the captive ball you added 5 seconds to the timer along with the add-a-ball?

I know it doesn't make that shot any easier, but at least you'd have two balls to try to hit it with at a minimum... and the rewards for hitting it would be greater.

#1370 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

That's interesting, although I'm not sure how well it would work with the way that the game sort of slow-loads the balls into play, even fully functional. You have a clear shot for the first ball before the second one gets fired in, and earning 12M off the bat in a mode that already has a ton of scoring opportunity seems a little unbalanced.

The clear scoop shot you take during start of Electric Chair would only be worth 2M in this instance if you made it before the second ball was launched into play. If you made the shot just after the second ball was launched then it would be worth 4M, after third ball would be 6M... and so on. As you drain and gain balls the jackpot would dynamically change between 2M and 12M depending on how good you are at juggling balls.

"Cook 'em Danno!!!"

#1379 3 years ago

Does anyone ever have their Skill Shot not register when they hit a drop target? But then the Skill Shot activates afterwards when the ball hits another switch somewhere else? I am getting this occasionally. My drop target switches test good in test mode. I am running on v.3.03.

#1381 3 years ago

Did you know that TFTC originally shipped with two of the flashing 455 bulbs in the back box? One in each of the two upper corners.

6 months later
#1568 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'd also like to know more about who owns the rights to Data East, which I assume is Stern, from acquiring Sega.

If you ever get a definitive answer to this question, please let us know.

#1572 3 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I would have to assume it's Stern. The Data East pinball division ended up being sold to Sega in 1994. Sega then sold their assets to Gary Stern in 1999.

I've heard from several reliable sources that Gary Stern's ex-wife owns the IP to Data East Pinball (via divorce settlement) and that neither Gary Stern nor Stern Pinball own anything related to Data East Pinball. I have no way of verifying this but would love a definitive answer either way.

3 weeks later
#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The game would be so much cooler with a new set of rules.

I can confirm this. The game is SO much cooler with a new set of rules and bug fixes.

#1599 3 years ago

Have you guys ever experienced these bugs?

1) Player is unable to "lock" the Super Keeper Target mode (the one in the 12 o'clock position) with the Launch trigger. All other modes are able to be locked.

2) If player "locks" a mode, the light above the Launch trigger lights up but does not turn off when mode is started and light incorrectly remains lit.

3) After starting Multiball, if player does not achieve first Jackpot with left ramp shot then Multiball Restart Countdown starts. During this countdown, the lamp above the Left Ramp remains flashing even though this shot is not active while the countdown is happening.

4) During Skull Crackin' mode, the two alternating Lite Creature Feature lamps are lit even though hitting the lit spinner does not lite Creature Feature. Since this is a Multiball mode (technically an Add-A-Ball mode), these Lite Creature Feature lamps should not be active until this mode ends.

5) Sometimes a Skill Shot hit or miss is not registered when hitting the Drop Target and will later register when the ball hits the next switch.

Also, anyone aware of any other bugs?

2 weeks later
#1615 3 years ago

Question for the TFTC folks...

The "Clone" insert in front of the Captive Ball. This lamp flashes during Multiball and allows you to Add-A-Ball during that mode. Otherwise this lamp is off. Except... when you hit the Captive Ball on it's 20th time, it lights solid and stays solid until the next multiball where it starts flashing but then goes off after that multiball. It will then light solid if you get to the 30th or 40th or 50th (etc) Captive Ball shot.

I know... it's RARE to hit the Captive Ball that many times, but does anyone know why it goes solid like it does? I cannot seem to find any purpose for this.

If you could pull the glass and hit that Captive Ball a bunch of times and experiment with it... that would be cool. Let me know if you figure anything out.

2 weeks later
#1640 3 years ago

Has anyone ever had success with looping the Right Loop shot? You get a bigger and bigger bonus the more you can do it. Let me know your experience with this one.

#1644 3 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I love that shot, it's challenging and satisfying. That being said it isn't worth shooting for points wise. After 2 or 3 orbits the points should be going up drastically in my opinion .

That's cool. How do you do it? Are you just hitting the ball on the fly? Or do you make the loop shoot, then catch it on the left flipper, pause, then shoot again, and repeat?

1 month later
#1668 3 years ago

Looking for a couple of TFTC owners who have a good grasp on the current game rules and also own ROM burners and the ability to burn themselves a 27C512 CPU ROM and a 27C040 DISPLAY ROM.

PM me if this fits you.

2 weeks later
#1677 3 years ago

If you own a Tales From The Crypt and an EPROM programmer and you would like to patch your own personal game then go here:

http://www.pinballcode.com/

Instructions are provided for you to do this. Do not contact me to purchase ROMs as I cannot sell them.

There is a full list of changes available on the website as well.

#1682 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks for doing this Chad, I just wish I could take advantage of the upgrade, no burner.

There are links on the download page for where you can buy a ROM burner and blank EPROMs. They are great to have. Come in handy.

#1688 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This is the burner I bought and it is the cheapest I've found and will serve all your burning needs.

Oh! Very nice price! And it's even an Amazon Prime deal so if you are a member you get free 2-day shipping.

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I am assuming that it is all right to re-name the newly patched ROM files to reflect the correct ROM version number.

Yes. You can safely rename them.

#1704 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Boy this is really fun. I was hesitant when you said you were going to modify the rules on TFTC, but everything you changed is a great addition/revision to an already outstanding game. I think the added voice calls are my favorite.
Excellent job, excellent! Brilliant way to release your new code to the masses, btw!

That's a great compliment. Thank you.

Every change I make is in the spirit of the original game. I like to keep the soul of the original intact. In the end, you are still playing the game you know and love... but it's just better, more polished, more balanced.

#1709 3 years ago

Curious to hear more feedback from those who have patched their game to version 4.00.

1 week later
#1733 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Just curious how many new call outs have been added. That was what I wanted and suggested most when this update was getting done. The game is suppose to have around 200 per the notes I have seen on this game but never seen them all listed. And the laughing never bugged me as much like others have complained about, I mean it's a pin and suppose to make noise. Love the Cryptkeeper.

I found a bunch of voice calls that were either never played or rarely played. I tried to put them into places that made sense... for example "Cook 'em Danno!" was unused and is now played at the start of Electric Chair multiball mode and "How about a game of chops and clobbers?" was also unused and is now played at the start of Super Guillotine mode.

A lot of thought went into choreography of integrating the voice calls and rearranging some of the already existing voice calls... for example... "Who goes there?" was said EVERY time you'd hit either the left or right loop switches which was overkill. It would also play "Who goes there?" when you light Mystery Door via left return lane. So... now I removed that voice call from the left and right loop switches (and replaced them with sound effects). This means that the only time it is played is when you light Mystery Door. This is much better as now you know when Mystery Door is lit based on this voice call.

Also... don't worry... there is still plenty of laughing.

#1736 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Were the pointers for these sounds present in the ROMs or did you have to map them manually? I assume yes since the sound ROMs were not updated.

I had to map many of them. You are correct that all the sounds already exist in the sound ROMs.

#1738 3 years ago

Would be cool if you all updated the rating of this game in the Pinside Top 100 list and added a comment that you played it with v.4.00 update.

#1752 3 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

Look what it could "sound" with a new mix with the pinsound board
Just starting to try the new code

Sounds great! Now all we need is a Color DMD!

Btw... notice at 1:55... when he finishes spelling CRPYT. You can see the video of the tombstone doing its final sinking into the ground with the clouds going past. That was previously never played in the old code. It used to just cut right to the "Come on into the crypt" with the M-BALL READY video of the Crypt Keeper.

#1754 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Wow, I never noticed that! Did you mention it in your change log? What sound plays during this animation?

It's mentioned in the Miscellaneous section of the change log... "Fixed bug where the final CRYPT lowering video when collecting “T” would not play."

It plays the same sound when you hit it for the other letters... the sliding stone sound with the quick arpeggiated tune.

#1755 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Thanks GoatDan. Based upon what you said, I just went down and checked mine again. I think I just discovered how this actually works now.
If you start the "Living Dead" mode then it resets. If you want to start Chainsaw Mode you need to make 10 Left Ramp shots without starting the "Living Dead" Mode. If you want to start "Grave Digger then you need to make 15 Left Ramp shots before making a Right Ramp shot. If you want to make the final "Play the Organ" mode then you need to make 20 Left Ramp shots before making a Right Ramp shot.
Got it now. That's gonna be tough to make it to "Play the Organ".
Love this new code.

It is harder to get to the higher Fast Goring modes... but the reward is increased significantly. Risk vs. Reward.

Btw, you can make it to Play The Organ with 15 Left Ramp shots... just don't collect it with the Right Ramp until you do this on a single ball.

#1765 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Just played the new Skull Crackin' mode and like the direction you went with in making it a hybrid 2-ball mode.

I'm loving all this feedback!

I particularly like how the new Super Keeper Targets mode turned out. We essentially "flipped" the rules on it by making it so the eyeball targets start at a higher value and decrease with each hit. This gives the player the incentive to try to hit all the targets instead of not caring and just bashing the same ones (or random ones) over and over. Also, you get a nice 25 Million bonus if you can hit them all! I like that this opens up all these shots and makes the player actually think about which one to hit. I know it's tough to hit them all... especially the lowest one on each side... but the reward is there waiting for you. Oh... also, all the targets flash during this mode and then go solid when you hit them so you can easily keep track of which ones you need to hit to try for that 25 Million bonus.

#1778 3 years ago

Thanks to fellow Pinsider PBFan there is now available a nicely formatted and printer friendly version of the Tales From The Crypt (and Jurassic Park) Change Log on my web site. You can find the link at the bottom of the Guide page for Tales From The Crypt.

#1779 3 years ago

You've updated your game with the new 4.00 code and you are loving it?... then go update your rating!

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/tales-from-the-crypt/ratings

2 weeks later
#1815 3 years ago
Quoted from gabegabegabe:

I was looking at the rule changes and had a question. What is the reasoning behind making the progression of the right ramp harder? Since that ramp is harder to hit than the left one, I would have thought progression would either stay the same or be easier with the changes.
I have trouble making the right ramp as the code is. If i update, i don't think i would ever shoot for it because it requires too many hits to progress.
Of course, it could just be that i suck at pinball.

Actually, we simplified the rules around the ramps... and made the Risk vs. Reward greater. You advance the Fast Goring modes by shooting the Left Ramp and then start Fast Goring by shooting the Right Ramp. The higher Fast Goring modes are worth a lot more now so the Risk vs. Reward question of "Do I start Fast Goring now or do I try to increase it to a higher level?" is there. If you "cash in" early then you won't get as many points... but if you try to advance to the higher levels then you are rewarded greatly... but if you drain before you can cash in then you lose the potential.

But even that lowest Fast Goring mode of "Living Dead" can be worth some good points and is worth starting... especially if you are in a multiball mode.

1 week later
#1828 2 years ago
Quoted from Mister_Swede:

I am almost ready now with complete renovating Tales from the Crypt, with digital pinsound board and lots of fun stuff

Don't forget the most fun TFTC mod of all... www.pinballcode.com

3 weeks later
#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Picked up a TFTC the other day, top right flipper was intermittent and now has stopped working. Lights are working on the board in the cab.

Check the board down inside the cabinet. It's on the left wall. It has fuses on it... check those fuses and check the fuse holders to make sure they are all strong. Those fuse holders are notoriously bad and become weak over the years and need to be replaced. I think it has at least three fuses... one for each flipper.

3 weeks later
#1871 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

This TFTC restoration was just completed by Bryan Kelly. I will take and post more high resolution photos of the game in the next 2 weeks or so.

Wow! Looks amazing!

Dang, a newly restored game... with new 4.00 code... and TFTC returning to TV later this year... you must be in Crypt Keeper heaven!

#1890 2 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

By the way, interesting factoid, we didn't add or remove anything from the display rom. All those new sounds you're hearing were in the rom originally and simply not called in the code. It was amazing how many unused voice calls there were in Tales, especially considering how often the keeper just cackled before.

I spent a lot of time analyzing all the voice calls. It was great to find so many that were unused or rarely used! One of the old complaints about TFTC was people wanted more Crypt Keeper and it was crazy to find out that there was so much more available but not implemented.

Also a lot of time was spent rearranging the choreography where voice calls were placed into gameplay so they would make more sense and give the player better feedback. For example... the game used to always say "Who goes there?" every time Mystery Door was lit and also every time you'd hit the Left Loop or Right Loop switch. So the game was constantly saying "Who goes there?". I removed it from the loop switches... which is great for the player because now whenever you hear that voice call, you know Mystery Door is lit.

Another example is in the old game, regardless of whether you made a successful skill shot or not, the audio played back was identical. So the only way to confirm that you actually were successful was to look at the DMD. With 4.00, the Crypt Keeper now tells you when you were successful (with one of four random sound calls to not make it so repetitive).

Yet another example is in the old game, when you hit all drop targets to advance the bonus multiplier, the Crypt Keeper would say "Bury good!" which is fine, but this is used elsewhere in the game quite often. Instead he now says "Put a little meat on your bonus!" which is unique and gives that absolute feedback to the player that they just advanced the bonus multiplier.

Overall, I'd say the entire audio experience in 4.00 is light years ahead of the old version.

#1891 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Dan,
I am looking forward to installing the new 4.0 ROMS into my TFTC. It is my understanding that some of the Crypt Keeper's cackling has been replaced by actual voice calls now. Would that be correct?
While I do like the CK's cackling, adding previously unused voice calls to replace some of the cackling will be a nice upgrade.
Gord

Correct.

See here for all details:

#1895 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused, it sounds like it's random but it's not, maybe it changed, maybe it didn't. I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates? I know I've gotten through at least 5, maybe 6 doors before.

It's random each time. There is no pattern. However, if you are in Tournament Mode then this mode is essentially skipped and you are granted 30 Million in its place.

Quoted from sevenrites:

On another side note - this may be the new DMD graphic I thought I noticed since all of the code fixes - "Fixed bug where the final CRYPT lowering video when collecting “T” would not play."

Yep, that one is new. (Was always there, just never played before.)

#1896 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates?

True. Early versions of TFTC had a set door pattern. They removed this though and made it random instead.

1 month later
#1974 2 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks Gord. It just seems weird that the biggest insert of all does relatively nothing. I'll drop ChadH a note.

That insert does something very important... it lights up when Monster Jackpot is lit during Multiball.

As far as how it behaves during the various lightshows, I never noticed that.

2 months later
#2085 2 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

For starters... go in to Diagnostics and go to Switch test mode.

TFTC manual can be downloaded here:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2493

#2093 2 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Any thoughts? I'm going to go into the system's switch test mode later today to see what can be found.

Print out the switch matrix page of that manual. Go to switch test mode and test each switch. Also, see if any activate when making the flippers go or with general machine vibrations. Circle all the misbehaving switches in the matrix and then report back your findings.

#2103 2 years ago

TFTC has no indicator for when ball save is active. This is because ball save in TFTC is purely based on amount of switches hit. The only time a flashing ball save indicator is useful/consistent is when ball save is based on a timer. When it is based on switches hit, then the ball save could last 2 seconds or 30 seconds depending on what the player is doing and how many switches he is hitting.

#2105 2 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you know how many switch hits it is? Probably doesn't matter too much, but might be good to keep in mind when playing.

If I recall correctly, it is 4. Also, remember, TFTC offers a double ball save if you don't make it to 4 switch hits. I think they did this because it's kind of common on some games to go SDTM right after launching the ball and bouncing off the Drop Targets. I remember my game did that a lot before physically adjusting it.

#2109 2 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

I think you know too much!

I know thing or two about this game.

#2111 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

That happens from time to time, occasionally 2 or 3 times in a row. What did you adjust, the shooter solenoid angle?

I recall playing with the overall game level... as well as ever so slightly tweaking the curved end of the shooter lane right where the ball exits when launched (just below the upper right flipper). It's not 100% but I think ideally you want the ball to launch, hit the middle drop target (only), and then go towards the left flipper.

2 weeks later
#2138 2 years ago

I think the screw thread size is 8-32

10 months later
#2419 1 year ago
Quoted from dalispictures:

Maybe someone can help me. I am not getting the flashing "Play the Organ", "Chainsaw Mode" or "Grave Digger" modes on my machine. Is this a game adjustment? I hit the left ramp to get the right ramp to flash but in ONLY goes to "Living Dead" never to any of the other ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never seen these 3 jackpot modes!
Thanks

Ramp behavior is described in detail near the end of this page:
http://www.pinballcode.com/tftc4

1 month later
#2456 1 year ago
Quoted from Toastie:

Hi all, I'm new to preside and have had a TFTC for years. Still love the game. I'm a bit behind the times as just read about the 4.00 update which I will definitely be chasing up.

You are in for a treat.

#2458 1 year ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I had a similar issue with my DE WWFRR. It turned out to be the connector doing to the DMD was no longer making good connections with the pins in the DMD, and/or the wires in the connector were no longer making good contact with the "teeth" that grip with wires for the harness (commn issue with that style harness). Knowing that connector setup often has problems with the wires getting loose, I switch to the connector style that you crimp the connector on to the end of the wire and slide it in to the harness. And I wend with the crimp connectors with the theee edges, so it insures a tight and snug connection on to the pins on the DMD.

Good write up! I had to do the same thing to my DESW, JP, and TFTC... very common issue with Data East games.

5 months later
#2616 11 months ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

The diagnostic I ran the lamps/lights are good. The switch works and so does the laser kicker.
I lifted the playfield and checked if anything was loose or disconnected. The wiring looks fine.....everrything seems fine underneath.
I'll do a more thorough investigation once I finish my set of nightshifts this weekend....
Thanks for all the help Gord

If I recall correctly, the Left Outlane (Crypt Kick) and Right Outlane (Scared To Death) lamps are both tied together. Meaning... they are both either on or off together. Does yours behave this way?

#2620 11 months ago
Quoted from TheHueManatee:

All summed up into a video....
» YouTube video

I'll bet it's a lamp matrix issue. Check all the diodes and connections on the lamps circled in Red. Start with the vertical column.

tftc-lamp-matrix (resized).png

#2622 11 months ago

Very possible. Q66 is related to the lamp matrix. That doesn’t look good and should be cleaned up.

#2624 11 months ago

Q66 is a TIP42.

1E52C9EE-E825-4B58-B1CB-EE8273C3B601 (resized).png

#2626 11 months ago

It's a transistor.

1 week later
#2653 10 months ago

meloyelo51 here on Pinside is a great source for ROM burning.

1 week later
#2673 10 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Oh, wow! I had been looking at the lcd displays only as that’s what I like. Didn’t even bother to look at the led version. Is there any reason why they don’t have an lcd version?

Both LCD and LED will work.

#2683 10 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Look what came in the mail today....

Enjoy! Take care to put the ROMs in correctly. Remember that the notch on the side dictates orientation of the ROM chip.

#2687 10 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Anyone running a color dmd with the 4.0 code? Any issues since display from the colordmd is v3.0?

No issues. The versions on the ColorDMD ROM downloads are completely independent of the actual game Display ROM versions. It's just coincidence that the TFTC ColorDMD ROM is 3.0 currently.

3 months later
#2827 6 months ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Going to start from page one of this thread and work my way through to catch up - really love these club threads on Pinside - learn so much and get great ideas! Cheers!

Welcome back! I think you'll really like the part of the thread where that one guy releases a code update for TFTC.

3 months later
#3100 83 days ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Change the setting from "On" to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.
Change the setting from "Off" to "On", power cycled, still "On" (No change), power cycle, change the setting from "On to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.

Music plays non-stop during attract mode? Like... always playing? If so, then something is wrong. Should only play briefly.

1 month later
#3161 47 days ago

Got a very weak upper right flipper on TFTC.

If you give it any resistance then it stops flipping. However, if you flip without hitting a ball or any resistance then it does a nice full flip and holds strong.

Flipper coil wire connections look OK.

Flipper button looks good and I cleaned the contact.

All fuses on the flipper board are solid and not loose.

Any ideas where else I should look?

2 weeks later
#3176 33 days ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Got a very weak upper right flipper on TFTC.
If you give it any resistance then it stops flipping. However, if you flip without hitting a ball or any resistance then it does a nice full flip and holds strong.
Flipper coil wire connections look OK.
Flipper button looks good and I cleaned the contact.
All fuses on the flipper board are solid and not loose.
Any ideas where else I should look?

Physically everything “looks” OK. The bushing is good. The flipper moves freely.

I even swapped out a known good Flipper Board and still same issue.

It appears that the upper right flipper is never getting the initial jolt of 50 volts and instead is only being fed the 9 volt holding power. The lower right flipper is totally fine.

Any more ideas?

#3178 33 days ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Did you take a piece of paper and go between the contacts on the flipper switch? Do both contacts and did you change the Teflon tube in the coil?

Yes.

It appears to be an electrical issue as the coil is never receiving the initial 50 volts and is only receiving the 9 volt holding power. I just don't have any idea where to look for the problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 63.00
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside