image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,998 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 100.
#4052 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Got one problem left on the Tales From The Crypt I'm working on, and can't seem to find the issue.. The 2 flashers between the popbumpers, 1 flasher behind the backplate and 1 flasher in the backbox are not working. The wiring is: black with blue and orange is the other wire. The transistor on the cpu for these flashers is Q41, which measures just the same as the others and is not shorted. The correct voltages are on the sockets (same as on sockets of flashers that do work). I replaced the flashers with new ones to make sure that's not it.
Anyone got an idea? Or what to test/measure next?
Thanks in advance!
[quoted image]

FIXED!

Diode on the PPB board was loose..

#4053 2 years ago

Couldn't find a replacement wiregate, so I made my own. It's the first time I made one myself and I think it's job well done, works perfectly

20210818_162157 (resized).jpg20210818_162157 (resized).jpg20210818_165431 (resized).jpg20210818_165431 (resized).jpg
#4054 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Couldn't find a replacement wiregate, so I made my own. It's the first time I made one myself and I think it's job well done, works perfectly [quoted image][quoted image]

Very nicely done.

Gord

#4055 2 years ago

Well that worked out perfect.

I’m in the process of shopping my tftc and the wire is completely missing, I hadn’t thought much about it until your post so now I know how it works and I can easily copy your shape.

Thanks!

Quoted from RobDutch:

Couldn't find a replacement wiregate, so I made my own. It's the first time I made one myself and I think it's job well done, works perfectly [quoted image][quoted image]

#4056 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

I’m in the process of shopping my tftc and the wire is completely missing, I hadn’t thought much about it until your post so now I know how it works and I can easily copy your shape.

Cliffy also makes this gate...
http://www.passionforpinball.com/tftc.htm

#4057 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I had a similar issue 5 years ago. You may want to review the thread below for how I eventually resolved my issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-vuk-issue
Gord

I rebuilt the upkicker with the kit posted and it didn't seem to make a difference. The ball doesn't do it all the time it may only be 1 in 10 times, it almost seems like the ball doesn't have enough ommph to make it up. The coil sleeve looks newer and everything moves freely. I tried moving the alignment of the habit rail and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Should I be looking for a slightly more powerful coil? It currently has the white labeled coil that comes factory

#4058 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I rebuilt the upkicker with the kit posted and it didn't seem to make a difference. The ball doesn't do it all the time it may only be 1 in 10 times, it almost seems like the ball doesn't have enough ommph to make it up. The coil sleeve looks newer and everything moves freely. I tried moving the alignment of the habit rail and that didn't seem to make a difference.
Should I be looking for a slightly more powerful coil? It currently has the white labeled coil that comes factory

Post #17 is the key post in my original thread. Make sure that you have 3 metal compression rings installed and that they are nice and tight. This prevents slop in the upkicker.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-vuk-issue#post-2937330

Gord

#4059 2 years ago

Yup the kit came with all 3 of them. I put them on and didn't bend them or anything, just pryed one side out enough to make it slide on the cap.

#4060 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I rebuilt the upkicker with the kit posted and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I will just mention FYI that I bought my VUK rebuild kits from Pinball Life, and it comes with 2 wider compression rings rather than the 3 thinner rings that was original and that come with Marco's kit. The 2 wider PBL rings do not cover the entire cap base where it covers the plastic top stem of the plunger. There is about 1/8 exposed but I do not think this affects function. (pic attached, pf was straight up)

https://www.pinballlife.com/vertical-up-kicker-vuk-rebuild-kit.html?Category_Code=

I replaced the Crypt and back corner VUKs and have had no issues with the Crypt one, but have the usual intermittent one-ball VUK fails with the back corner, and they always make the second try. Like others have said I think there are various causes; the level of the game, the wireform position above, and the bend of the switch which when resting un-active is causing the cap base to be titled. I would think the weight of the ball levels and settles quick enough to make a straight shot up, but who knows. It's always been a huge task to get everything right once something is out of whack.

YLWV
(Your Luck Will Vary)
20210823_154327 (resized).jpg20210823_154327 (resized).jpg

#4061 2 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Couldn't find a replacement wiregate, so I made my own.

Good Job!
My game was missing the whole gate/bracket, but I read that some people take it off for 'flow' and I agree, it plays a lot faster when you can do full loops both ways. I bought the cliffy gate but never put it on.

#4062 2 years ago

When rebuilding the VUK also keep in mind that there is a right and wrong way to put the smaller spring on.

The tighter part of the spring goes up and the open part of the spring goes on the coil side.

#4063 2 years ago

I just saw this at pinballcenter for anyone that doesn’t have a handle and is interested in obtaining one. I have no idea on quality, just passing on what I’ve found. Also Zitt is placing an order next month, so no problem on shipping.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/tales-from-the-crypt/10973/plastic-handle-for-tales-from-the-crypt?c=2162

63B0735D-1FEC-4D61-96E5-8FFF4676CE2E (resized).jpeg63B0735D-1FEC-4D61-96E5-8FFF4676CE2E (resized).jpeg
#4064 2 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

I just saw this at pinballcenter for anyone that doesn’t have a handle and is interested in obtaining one. I have no idea on quality, just passing on what I’ve found. Also Zitt is placing an order next month, so no problem on shipping.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/tales-from-the-crypt/10973/plastic-handle-for-tales-from-the-crypt?c=2162
[quoted image]

Well up until now, the TFTC door handle has never been reproduced by any of the pinball parts makers as far as I know. It is darn near impossible to find one used as well.

The OEM TFTC door handle is made out of metal (pot metal?) not plastic like this reproduction appears to be. Pinball Center seems to be hit and miss on the quality of their products so it will be interesting to get some feedback on the quality of this TFTC door handle reproduction.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/tales-from-the-crypt/10973/plastic-handle-for-tales-from-the-crypt?c=0

Gord

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

It plays that sound when the audio board boots.
I'd be looking at your power supply to the audio board.
I added a dedicated supply to mine years ago and it cleaned up the static back ground hum.

I wanted to thank you. I reconnected everything on the audio board and haven't had a problem since. Big thanks!!!

#4066 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:Well up until now, the TFTC door handle has never been reproduced by any of the pinball parts makers as far as I know. It is darn near impossible to find one used as well.
The OEM TFTC door handle is made out of metal (pot metal?) not plastic like this reproduction appears to be.

For $225 US $$$ after conversion, plus a cut of the group shipping, I hope it's pretty sturdy for those that need it.
Plus you need to buy the head from here in the US, $45 from Back Alley, seems OOS at other parts sellers.
https://backalleycreations.com/products/tales-from-the-crypt-solid-head-ball-launch-cover

#4067 2 years ago

I just acquired a TFTC which came to me in several boxes, so now the jigsaw puzzle begins.
I am missing a few parts that can be purchased but just missing one plastic, the one that goes in the back of the cabinet (dark clouds and lightning).
I am working my way through this thread and read about plastic scans being done. I was wondering if I could get the scan of my missing plastic as I don't feel like paying for a full set just for one piece. There is one currently on ebay, but as I live in AUS it will work out to be around $80 delivered.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

TFTC_plastic (resized).jpgTFTC_plastic (resized).jpg
#4068 2 years ago

Hi all TFTC lovers i got my led flipper buttons. Where do i connect them the easyest way on the TFTC?

#4069 2 years ago

I usually go to the coin door.

Quoted from Mister_Swede:

Hi all TFTC lovers i got my led flipper buttons. Where do i connect them the easyest way on the TFTC?

#4070 2 years ago

anyone know anything about the out of place clown/jester on the backglass? I always figured it was a self portrait of the artist maybe but have never found any info or gotten any confirmation, no one I've ever asked knows anything

#4071 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:anyone know anything about the out of place clown/jester on the backglass? I always figured it was a self portrait of the artist maybe but have never found any info or gotten any confirmation, no one I've ever asked knows anything

Coco the Clown from "Strung Along" (09/02/92)

https://genresnaps.com/tales-from-the-crypt-strung-along-090292/

Coko_the_Clown_5 (resized).jpgCoko_the_Clown_5 (resized).jpg
#4072 2 years ago

yeah i know its coco I remember the episode, but whos face it that? its definitely not the puppet
I shouldve been more clear about what I meant in my original post

#4073 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

yeah i know its coco I remember the episode, but whos face it that? its definitely not the puppet
I shouldve been more clear about what I meant in my original post

At the end of the episode the puppeteer dies but his spirit goes into Coco's body and kills the cheating wife and her boyfriend. Final shot is puppet with his and Coco's face merged. Here is a screen capture of the end which they drew into the backglass.

vlcsnap-2021-09-01-20h58m07s281 (resized).pngvlcsnap-2021-09-01-20h58m07s281 (resized).png
#4074 2 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

At the end of the episode the puppeteer dies but his spirit goes into Coco's body and kills the cheating wife and her boyfriend. Final shot is puppet with his and Coco's face merged. Here is a screen capture of the end which they drew into the backglass.[quoted image]

ok! thank you that makes much more sense. It's always just been the one thing on the backglass that stands out to me because its much more photorealistic than the rest of the art. I know that the artists often inject themselves or their kids into the art so thought that might have been it, but now that you shared that picture I remember the end of the episode. I'll have to get around to rewatching them this year on the countdown to Halloween

#4075 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

I know that the artists often inject themselves or their kids into the art

I thought the same thing until you brought it up here, I thought it was an artist because it looked like a photo touched up.
Now we both know

P.S. It wasn't that great of an episode

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4076 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Well up until now, the TFTC door handle has never been reproduced by any of the pinball parts makers as far as I know. It is darn near impossible to find one used as well.
The OEM TFTC door handle is made out of metal (pot metal?) not plastic like this reproduction appears to be. Pinball Center seems to be hit and miss on the quality of their products so it will be interesting to get some feedback on the quality of this TFTC door handle reproduction.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/tales-from-the-crypt/10973/plastic-handle-for-tales-from-the-crypt?c=0
Gord

Personally I can't see plastic standing the test of time for an item so heavily used but with all reproduction, hard to find parts, it's still appreciated when someone is putting in the effort to create them. Hopefully these are strong.

1 week later
#4077 2 years ago

Does anyone have issues where repeated shots into the creature feature scoop bounce back out. Its pretty frustrating but almost every shot I make to the scoop comes back out. I do have a cliffy hole protector on it so not sure that is what is causing it it or what. Seems the only way I can make the shot is by accident

#4078 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Does anyone have issues where repeated shots into the creature feature scoop bounce back out. Its pretty frustrating but almost every shot I make to the scoop comes back out. I do have a cliffy hole protector on it so not sure that is what is causing it it or what. Seems the only way I can make the shot is by accident

it can be a tough shot, My cliffy interferes sometimes but its usually just the angle or speed of the shot. I usually flip it in off the third flipper.

#4079 2 years ago
Quoted from CrisCrow:

it can be a tough shot, My cliffy interferes sometimes but its usually just the angle or speed of the shot. I usually flip it in off the third flipper.

Thats what i need to learn to do is shoot it from the 3rd flipper. I always try on the bottom two. This game makes me realize how bad I am at playing pinball . The shots are so difficult for me

#4080 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Thats what i need to learn to do is shoot it from the 3rd flipper. I always try on the bottom two. This game makes me realize how bad I am at playing pinball . The shots are so difficult for me

yeah, my girlfriend hates that game because she finds the shots too difficult. it helps a lot to have fresh rubbers, gets nice bounce off the post behind the drop targets into scoop

#4081 2 years ago

Still having issues with my up kicker not making it all the time. I rebuilt it and adjusted it like its supposed to be. The coil sleeve looks ok. I don't think the ball is hitting anything that I can tell on the way up. Just sometimes the ball goes up and getting to the bend in the habitrail and then falling back down into the VUK. Normally on the 2nd try the game seems to shoot the ball harder and it makes it. All wiring to the coil looks ok and I can't see anything out of place. Any thoughts/ideas on swapping in a slightly more powerful coil? Any ideas what would be something that would be the next step up in power to try out?

#4082 2 years ago

Mine was doing the same thing so I rebuilt the whole assembly and put in a new coil sleeve and readjusted the switch and have had no issues since.

Keep in mind there is a right and wrong way to put the spring on the vuk and it needs all 3 of the spring clamps.

Other than those things make sure it isn’t binding on the habitrail and have your game leveled correctly.

Quoted from fatality83:

Still having issues with my up kicker not making it all the time. I rebuilt it and adjusted it like its supposed to be. The coil sleeve looks ok. I don't think the ball is hitting anything that I can tell on the way up. Just sometimes the ball goes up and getting to the bend in the habitrail and then falling back down into the VUK. Normally on the 2nd try the game seems to shoot the ball harder and it makes it. All wiring to the coil looks ok and I can't see anything out of place. Any thoughts/ideas on swapping in a slightly more powerful coil? Any ideas what would be something that would be the next step up in power to try out?

#4083 2 years ago

Still having a issue with my sound. It'll do the no payem no game and then the music cuts out. If I can get a mode started it comes back. Sometimes it will keep repeating the saying while playing with the music off. I had the boards gone through and I've checked voltages are the power supply and the the sound board. My board tells me they are within range. Had this game for two months now and yet to play a good game on it. It is running the 4.0 code. Any suggestions?

#4084 2 years ago
Quoted from subedriver:

Still having a issue with my sound. It'll do the no payem no game and then the music cuts out. If I can get a mode started it comes back. Sometimes it will keep repeating the saying while playing with the music off. I had the boards gone through and I've checked voltages are the power supply and the the sound board. My board tells me they are within range. Had this game for two months now and yet to play a good game on it. It is running the 4.0 code. Any suggestions?

I had the same exact situation. It's the soundboard rebooting essentially. I just took the connectors off that and reconnected everything. Mine worked fine after that.

#4085 2 years ago
Quoted from fsumassey:

I had the same exact situation. It's the soundboard rebooting essentially. I just took the connectors off that and reconnected everything. Mine worked fine after that.

I've tried that a few times unfortunately.

#4086 2 years ago
Quoted from subedriver:

I've tried that a few times unfortunately.

The person that owned it before me attached it to it's own power supply I'm pretty sure.
You could look into something like that.

#4087 2 years ago

My tftc really needs a new cabinet, can anybody here tell me if data east cabinets are the same as WPC or if another style that is currently produced will work?

#4088 2 years ago
Quoted from Lopa:

Mine was doing the same thing so I rebuilt the whole assembly and put in a new coil sleeve and readjusted the switch and have had no issues since.
Keep in mind there is a right and wrong way to put the spring on the vuk and it needs all 3 of the spring clamps.
Other than those things make sure it isn’t binding on the habitrail and have your game leveled correctly.

Does this look like the right way for the spring to be, I changed it so the wider part is going towards the mushroom cap thing the ball sits on. The wider part was facing down towards the coil. I changed it to how you see in the photo and adjusted the vuk switch so it is more sensitive and my game has made it in the first kick out every time so far which is good news.

20210923_200118.jpg20210923_200118.jpg20210923_200456.jpg20210923_200456.jpg
#4089 2 years ago

That is the correct orientation.

#4090 2 years ago

My wife has a bad habit of putting in 4-5 balls into the top right VUK during multiball and getting the balls stuck.

#4091 2 years ago

Does anyone have an NOS Translite lying around they would consider selling ?

#4092 2 years ago

Anyone have a color LCD in their Tales? From what I am understanding colorDMD website only lists and LED for TFTC because you have to modify the backbox. But I have seen some older posts where people said you can add an LCD after cutting and triming some stuff. Does anyone on here have a color LCD and do you have any pictures of what you had to do to mount the LCD?

#4093 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Anyone have a color LCD in their Tales? From what I am understanding colorDMD website only lists and LED for TFTC because you have to modify the backbox. But I have seen some older posts where people said you can add an LCD after cutting and triming some stuff. Does anyone on here have a color LCD and do you have any pictures of what you had to do to mount the LCD?

I'm interested in knowing this as well as its a modification that I've considered

#4094 2 years ago
Quoted from subedriver:

I had a similar issue with my LAH. A few sound clips would just keep randomly playing during the game. It turns out that it was a broken fuse clip (they are notorious for breaking on Data East pins). When the game would get jostled the fuse would lose connectivity and the sound would play. I held the clip tight using an elastic band until I replaced it. I am not sure what fuse it was but it did cause the issue for me. So check your fuse clips - warning older brittle clips can break easily when removing fuses on DE machines.

Good luck.

#4095 2 years ago

#4096 2 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

I have an LCD in mine, mild mod....Not hard at all.

20210924_162803.jpg20210924_162803.jpg
#4097 2 years ago

No on WPC, taller and different all around. Only other Data East from that time frame will work. We just got the wood tools out and did a cabinet freshen with new decal set.

Quoted from CrisCrow:

I'm interested in knowing this as well as its a modification that I've considered

Yes you can install. I have it on mine. The speaker plate will need to be cut so no going back once you commit. Also some shadows on the backglass due to the LCD being higher up. PM me for install photos.

619F9A1B-E0EB-4340-8A57-99C2AC055272 (resized).jpeg619F9A1B-E0EB-4340-8A57-99C2AC055272 (resized).jpeg6CF4CF9C-4D5D-4C9B-BB93-260A81AEC9C7 (resized).jpeg6CF4CF9C-4D5D-4C9B-BB93-260A81AEC9C7 (resized).jpegFD3258B8-DB0D-4149-9355-3CE328BEACB6 (resized).jpegFD3258B8-DB0D-4149-9355-3CE328BEACB6 (resized).jpeg
#4098 2 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

[quoted image]

Thanks for sharing! Sold out unfortunately. I’ve been looking for a solution for some time.

#4099 2 years ago

So basically you trim that lip and cut off a DMD mounting post and loose a backbox bulb. That doesn't seem too bad. Would you say it was well worth adding it? I am assuming you could reinstalled a regular DMD if you ever wanted to with no real losses except a mounting tab. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, they were very helpful

#4100 2 years ago

So is anyone currently making air ball stoppers for the game? I already pmd dj shakes who was making them, but he unfortunately isn't making anymore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 300.00
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,998 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 100.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/82?hl=fsumassey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.