New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 55059)

TFTC OWNERS: "Fang Club" - "The MORGUE, the merrier!"

By E_N_3

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,823 posts
  • 311 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Hyperion
  • Topic is favorited by 130 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,217 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201121_194813 (resized).jpg
20200428_162740 (resized).jpg
20200711_094938 (resized).jpg
20200711_095051 (resized).jpg
20201113_061357 (resized).jpg
Sound board (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20201108-171647__01 (resized).jpg
20201025_221040 (resized).jpg
20201025_221026 (resized).jpg
20201025_221133 (resized).jpg
20201025_221014 (resized).jpg
20201025_221121 (resized).jpg
20201025_221205 (resized).jpg
20201025_221154 (resized).jpg
20201025_221006 (resized).jpg
20201025_220944 (resized).jpg

There are 3823 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 77.
#3801 23 days ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

Just picked up a TFTC. Sound is not working. Get a loud hum out of the speakers is all.
I checked the power to the board, but beyond that have not dove too far into it. Any tips or items I should check. Trying to not go down a rabbit hole with no direction

Try turning up the volume pot when you open the coin door (assuming you haven't done this already).

#3802 22 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Try turning up the volume pot when you open the coin door (assuming you haven't done this already).

That is a fair question
I did check the pot and also put a meter on it and verified it was working properly directly at the pot and at the connection to the sound board.
10KOhm between the black and red legs, and varied from 10K to 0 when measured from white wire to black and white wire to red.

#3803 21 days ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

That is a fair question
I did check the pot and also put a meter on it and verified it was working properly directly at the pot and at the connection to the sound board.
10KOhm between the black and red legs, and varied from 10K to 0 when measured from white wire to black and white wire to red.

I felt guilty even typing it... but I've had many friends new to pinball ask me how to adjust the volume and even found a machine I passed on where the speakers were stuffed with fiberglass cause they didn't know about the volume pot lol

I'd probably look at the sound board, remove (and reseat) the eeproms and inspect for any corrosion. Maybe examine the other connections for cold solder joints. Bust out the logic probe (after verifying it is not a voltage problem first) and inspect the PAL chips?

This might be another stupid point to check... but I think you can disable the sound entirely as an option in diagnostics. Maybe check for an option like that? I'm not home to look at mine.

check voltages +5 volts, -5 volts, +12 volts, and -12 volts. Bad voltage regulator? Bad connections?

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#sound

Is a good resource.

#3804 21 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I felt guilty even typing it... but I've had many friends new to pinball ask me how to adjust the volume and even found a machine I passed on where the speakers were stuffed with fiberglass cause they didn't know about the volume pot lol
I'd probably look at the sound board, remove (and reseat) the eeproms and inspect for any corrosion. Maybe examine the other connections for cold solder joints. Bust out the logic probe (after verifying it is not a voltage problem first) and inspect the PAL chips?
This might be another stupid point to check... but I think you can disable the sound entirely as an option in diagnostics. Maybe check for an option like that? I'm not home to look at mine.
check voltages +5 volts, -5 volts, +12 volts, and -12 volts. Bad voltage regulator? Bad connections?
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#sound
Is a good resource.

No offense taken Thanks for the link.

Board looks good- No visible corrosion.

I'm not sure if i know how the PAL chips work in order to test them, but I do have a logic probe and am looking to educate myself on that.

I verified all the voltages with the exception of -5V. I was unclear of where to physically check the -5volts on the sound board. I may just be over looking, but I am having a hell of a time finding C49.

#3805 21 days ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

No offense taken Thanks for the link.
Board looks good- No visible corrosion.
I'm not sure if i know how the PAL chips work in order to test them, but I do have a logic probe and am looking to educate myself on that.
I verified all the voltages with the exception of -5V. I was unclear of where to physically check the -5volts on the sound board. I may just be over looking, but I am having a hell of a time finding C49.

Screenshot_20201108-171647__01 (resized).jpg
#3806 20 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

[quoted image]

Again, thanks so much! I'm apparently blind.

I checked voltages on C49 -5V and C47 +5V and measure properly (Picture below)

Color coded my meter leads for confirmation of voltage measurements.

Looks like PAL Chips are where I need to go from here? I am not sure where to order them from, or how to test to see if they are bad in the first place I suppose....

Any tips?

Sound board (resized).PNG
#3807 20 days ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

Again, thanks so much! I'm apparently blind.
I checked voltages on C49 -5V and C47 +5V and measure properly (Picture below)
Color coded my meter leads for confirmation of voltage measurements.
Looks like PAL Chips are where I need to go from here? I am not sure where to order them from, or how to test to see if they are bad in the first place I suppose....
Any tips?
[quoted image]

check the CPU? I guess the PALS fail less often than other components.

Pinballspareparts has them (U19 and U20). On the repair wiki I sent you, there is a link to contact someone to get them as well.

#3808 20 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

check the CPU? I guess the PALS fail less often than other components.
Pinballspareparts has them (U19 and U20). On the repair wiki I sent you, there is a link to contact someone to get them as well.

Sounds good. The link on the wiki doesn't load so I will check pinballspareparts!

#3809 20 days ago
Quoted from FlipperNTS:

Sounds good. The link on the wiki doesn't load so I will check pinballspareparts!

The link in the wiki is an email - I sent you a pm of the address.

#3810 18 days ago

If you end up needing to replace the sound board I can highly recommend a PinSound, I have one in my TFTC and it's one of my favourite mods.

For a long time there was some kind of bug with the first version of the PinSound board that prevented it working very well on Data East machines. But this has been fully resolved on the latest versions.

Cheers

Cris

#3811 17 days ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

If you end up needing to replace the sound board I can highly recommend a PinSound, I have one in my TFTC and it's one of my favourite mods.
For a long time there was some kind of bug with the first version of the PinSound board that prevented it working very well on Data East machines. But this has been fully resolved on the latest versions.
Cheers
Cris

I defiantly was interested in PinSound, but I want to make sure my sound board is the actual issue before I pay for anything of that cost for sure.

#3812 12 days ago

I've got an intermittent problem with my TFTC. 8/10 times when the ball hits the drop targets the corresponding face insert lights. But 2/10 times the corresponding face insert doesn't light. The game does correctly recognize that the drop target has been hit but the corresponding insert doesn't light. Tried swapping the bulb. Diodes on sockets tested okay.

I think MAYBE it only happens in this scenario but I'm still not 100%:
I launch the ball and let's say it goes SDTM
Ball Save (Freeze!) activated
Drop targets pop back up
Saved ball auto launches and hits the drops
The light corresponding to the hit drop target doesn't light.

I have the Chad 4.0 code. Anyone else ever notice this happening?

#3813 12 days ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

I've got an intermittent problem with my TFTC. 8/10 times when the ball hits the drop targets the corresponding face insert lights. But 2/10 times the corresponding face insert doesn't light. The game does correctly recognize that the drop target has been hit but the corresponding insert doesn't light. Tried swapping the bulb. Diodes on sockets tested okay.
Drop targets pop back up
I have the Chad 4.0 code. Anyone else ever notice this happening?

Here's a video of what i'm talking about: https://streamable.com/0etana

#3814 8 days ago

Just posted my Tftc for sale on Facebook

20200428_162740 (resized).jpg20200711_094938 (resized).jpg20200711_095051 (resized).jpg20201113_061357 (resized).jpg
#3815 8 days ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dont see it whats thw price?

#3816 8 days ago

$4500 or trade offer

#3817 8 days ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Here's a video of what i'm talking about: https://streamable.com/0etana

Anyone have a chance to check their TFTC for this? Would much appreciate it!

#3818 6 days ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Drop targets pop back up

Pretty sure this is normal, mine does the same thing.
The ball save is 'x' number of switch hits, it will give you the ball back but code likely doesn't give you drop points for the saved ball target hit.
You still get an X bonus if the other two are hit and drop during the saved ball.

Now if during regular ball play a target does not light or register when hit/dropped you might need to adjust that target's switch blades or you've got another issue.

#3819 6 days ago
Quoted from miracleman:

Pretty sure this is normal, mine does the same thing.
The ball save is 'x' number of switch hits, it will give you the ball back but code likely doesn't give you drop points for the saved ball.
You still get an X bonus if the other two are hit and drop during the saved ball.
Now if during regular ball play a target does not light or register when hit/dropped you might need to adjust that target's switch blades or you've got another issue.

ah okay gotcha that makes sense. Thanks for checking appreciate it!

#3820 4 days ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another Data East opto board batch for 2021.

Details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-data-east-ball-trough-opto-board-

Thanks.

#3821 4 days ago
Quoted from Davi:

Hello Everyone,
I'm checking to see if there is enough interest to run another Data East opto board batch for 2021.
Details:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-data-east-ball-trough-opto-board-
Thanks.

oh wow yes please, I’m in!

#3822 4 days ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

SOLD

#3823 1 day ago

Officially leaving the owners club today sold my TFTC for $4400. Great game ... should have a new member soon.

20201121_194813 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
3,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 25.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 3823 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 77.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside