image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 101.
#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

“No payem, no game”
It’s the sound board booting/rebooting. As far as I know that’s normal. I have nvram as well.

Yeah thats the one! Cheers

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Yeah thats the one! Cheers

Here's a video of mine...."No pets!"
I feel bad for my dogs but rules are rules, lol

#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Here's a video of mine...."No pets!"
I feel bad for my dogs but rules are rules, lol

Yep thats exactly what mine does. The lighting for your topper looks great. Does your backbox have the inserts? Mind me asking for a pic of the (green) clear plastic? I have one but cant seem to fit it. Sorry i only have an average picture onhand to show it.

20190514_164302 (resized).jpg20190514_164302 (resized).jpg
#3454 4 years ago

Man this game is hard, I can't get over 200 million on it. I have a couple little quirks I am trying to figure out. When my ball plunges it hits the center drop target every time and almost always goes straight down the middle. Kinda annoying, is there a way to change this somehow? The only think I can think is to try and bend the metal trail the ball rides against as it comes out of the shooter.

Also there is a gate that is kinda supposed to act like a check valve. It only allows the ball to come out of the shooter lane but not roll back in. I noticed if the ball hits this gate at the right spot it somehow bypasses the gate and rolls back into the shooter lane. Upon further inspection the only thing I can notice that is going on, is the gate is shifted to the left side and it allows the ball to slip past some times. Any suggestions?

Also there is no way to save your progress on the right ramp (the one that goes upside down) If I hit it, it starts living dead mode I think but if I drain it resets and goes back to living dead again. I have never gotten past chainsaw mode because it is always resetting. I am runing the Chad H Code.

#3455 4 years ago

also one last question. At the very back of the playfield on the back wall area where there is a little picture of the crypt keeper there is a single flasher. Is this supposed to have a dome over it? Mine does not. Thanks

#3456 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Also there is no way to save your progress on the right ramp (the one that goes upside down) If I hit it, it starts living dead mode I think but if I drain it resets and goes back to living dead again. I have never gotten past chainsaw mode because it is always resetting. I am runing the Chad H Code.

This is intentional in v.4.00.

It's all about risk/reward...

You build up the value of the Fast Goring (Right Ramp) by making shots to the Left Ramp. You have to decide when you are ready to try to "cash in" after you've built up Left Ramp shots by shooting the Right Ramp to start the lit Fast Goring mode. Of course, the longer you wait to "cash in" the more chance you have of draining and resetting the Fast Goring mode back to Living Dead.

More details about Fast Goring are here near the end of the document:
http://www.pinballcode.com/tftc4

#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Man this game is hard, I can't get over 200 million on it. I have a couple little quirks I am trying to figure out. When my ball plunges it hits the center drop target every time and almost always goes straight down the middle. Kinda annoying, is there a way to change this somehow? The only think I can think is to try and bend the metal trail the ball rides against as it comes out of the shooter.
Also there is a gate that is kinda supposed to act like a check valve. It only allows the ball to come out of the shooter lane but not roll back in. I noticed if the ball hits this gate at the right spot it somehow bypasses the gate and rolls back into the shooter lane. Upon further inspection the only thing I can notice that is going on, is the gate is shifted to the left side and it allows the ball to slip past some times. Any suggestions?

For the plunge, make sure your game is level left and right. Mine goes STDM sometimes too. I might bend the shooter lane metal as well.

Regarding the ball exit gate on the shooter lane, just bend the metal down a bit.

#3458 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

My t gate was broken (bottom of the t was gone)on the shooter lane. I just bought a replacement from cliffy.

#3459 4 years ago

Getting closer on this overhaul to my TFTC. Waiting for the powder coating and she's back in biz.

We added a color screen, new translite, pinsound, new cabinet decals, color rubbers, posts, etc, sideblade art, and more.

Once its done I'll post some final pics.

IMG_4197 (resized).jpgIMG_4197 (resized).jpgIMG_4200 (resized).jpgIMG_4200 (resized).jpg
#3460 4 years ago

Hi guys, I am looking for a replacement spinner frame like the one pictured. Its for the right hand side target on my tftc. The spinner target is OK.. just the frame has been all bent to hell somehow.. if any one knows where to find one it would be appreciated. Thanks
20190330_182737 (resized).jpg20190330_182737 (resized).jpg

#3461 4 years ago

Hi guys, I am looking for a replacement spinner frame like the one pictured. Its for the right hand side target on my tftc. The spinner target is OK.. just the frame has been all bent to hell somehow.. if any one knows where to find one it would be appreciated. Thanks
[quoted image]

That's flat metal. Why not use a vice to straighten? just cinch the various parts in a vice. Should straighten it fine.

#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

That's flat metal. Why not use a vice to straighten? just cinch the various parts in a vice. Should straighten it fine.

Thanks for the advice and I might give that a go but everything else has been polished and came up really well, so it just one of those things annoying me now the rest of the playfield looks great. It isnt a huge problem and the game still plays great..

#3463 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice and I might give that a go but everything else has been polished and came up really well, so it just one of those things annoying me now the rest of the playfield looks great. It isnt a huge problem and the game still plays great..

I hear you. I just know for some reason those spinner parts are hard to come by for a lot of games. You should still be able to polish after straightening.

#3464 4 years ago

On a separate note, I recently refurbed the cabinet, added nvram and rom and now notice the crypt keeper is cut off mid sentence when I turn the machine on.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I believe that's normal with the new 4.0 Chad roms.

I just want to clarify, I don't believe this was unique to the ChadH 4.0 ROM, I believe it always did this, even with the older code releases. And I also added NVRAM. It works better but not 100% all the time. Sometimes I get the whole no payum, no gayum, other times I don't.

#3465 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I just want to clarify, I don't believe this was unique to the ChadH 4.0 ROM, I believe it always did this, even with the older code releases. And I also added NVRAM. It works better but not 100% all the time. Sometimes I get the whole no payum, no gayum, other times I don't.

I do remember reading somewhere that voltage issues with GI or flashers can cause a drop, that resets the sound card? I know i had this problem before installing NVRAM.

#3466 4 years ago

Does anyone know where to find TFTC instruction cards/artwork thatvis simiar to this? I have seen these translucent ones (for lights that dont seem to be available anymore?), but looking to print off in blue or red that keeps the same TFTC logo signage as the translight. Thanks.

Screenshot_20190614-212258_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190614-212258_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#3467 4 years ago

Does anyone know where to find TFTC instruction cards/artwork thatvis simiar to this? I have seen these translucent ones (for lights that dont seem to be available anymore?), but looking to print off in blue or red that keeps the same TFTC logo signage as the translight. Thanks.[quoted image]

Here's a few I posted a while back. Hope this helps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/61#post-4510945

#3468 4 years ago

Thanks very much! The very first one is exactly the look i was after. Cheers..

#3469 4 years ago

I have these on mine and they look terrific.

#3470 4 years ago

[quoted image]

Try Cliffy. He makes the ramp gates that I got from him a few years ago. Might have other parts for TFTC as well. Shoot him an e mail. http://www.passionforpinball.com/

#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

You are correct.

All Data East games of the era do this... let me explain...

Whenever the sound board is powered on, it plays a sound. For TFTC the sound is "No pay'em, no ga-em!". For Jurassic Park it is a dinosaur growl. For Star Wars it is Ben Kenobi saying "May The Force Be with you". For Star Trek it is "Scotty here". For Baywatch it is "Baywatch will be right back". For Tommy it is "Tommy". For Hook it is "Hook, Hook, Hook!"

This sound call played at boot up has nothing to do with the CPU sending a "play this sound" signal. Instead, it is just a sound that the sound board plays automatically every time the sound board powers on.

So... why does the sound get cut off? (And sometimes it doesn't?)

Well... one of the first thing the CPU does upon it's boot up is it sends a "cancel all sounds" signal to the sound board. This is why the sound is cut off. Especially if it is a longer sound.

A side effect of this is that whenever the sound board has a power issue it may reboot randomly in the middle of a game... every time it reboots, the sound will cut out and it will play that same boot up sound in the middle of a game. If you experience this, then you need to investigate the power to your sound board.

One thing I am not 100% certain about... I think that if your coin door is open when you power on your game then the entire sound is always played. I've never fully investigated that. Probably because the programmers figured that you were in maintenance mode and didn't cut of the sound in this instance.

Also... I think that I actually changed some of the games that I worked on to pause before the CPU cuts off the starting sound when the CPU boots up. I can't recall exactly which games I did this to. But technically, by doing this, I slightly delayed the boot up time of those game. Apparently, I did not do this to TFTC. Who knows... maybe one day if there is enough stuff to do a v.4.01 then I will add this.

#3472 4 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You are correct.
All Data East games of the era do this... let me explain...
Whenever the sound board is powered on, it plays a sound. For TFTC the sound is "No pay'em, no ga-em!". For Jurassic Park it is a dinosaur growl. For Star Wars it is Ben Kenobi saying "May The Force Be with you". For Star Trek it is "Scotty here". For Baywatch it is "Baywatch will be right back". For Tommy it is "Tommy". For Hook it is "Hook, Hook, Hook!"
This sound call played at boot up has nothing to do with the CPU sending a "play this sound" signal. Instead, it is just a sound that the sound board plays automatically every time the sound board powers on.
So... why does the sound get cut off? (And sometimes it doesn't?)
Well... one of the first thing the CPU does upon it's boot up is it sends a "cancel all sounds" signal to the sound board. This is why the sound is cut off. Especially if it is a longer sound.
A side effect of this is that whenever the sound board has a power issue it may reboot randomly in the middle of a game... every time it reboots, the sound will cut out and it will play that same boot up sound in the middle of a game. If you experience this, then you need to investigate the power to your sound board.
One thing I am not 100% certain about... I think that if your coin door is open when you power on your game then the entire sound is always played. I've never fully investigated that. Probably because the programmers figured that you were in maintenance mode and didn't cut of the sound in this instance.
Also... I think that I actually changed some of the games that I worked on to pause before the CPU cuts off the starting sound when the CPU boots up. I can't recall exactly which games I did this to. But technically, by doing this, I slightly delayed the boot up time of those game. Apparently, I did not do this to TFTC. Who knows... maybe one day if there is enough stuff to do a v.4.01 then I will add this.

Mystery solved! Thanks very much for explaining this. I always thought somthing might have been wrong with my TFTC...

#3473 4 years ago

Yep thats exactly what mine does. The lighting for your topper looks great. Does your backbox have the inserts? Mind me asking for a pic of the (green) clear plastic? I have one but cant seem to fit it. Sorry i only have an average picture onhand to show it.[quoted image]

The one I currently have on my TFTC has the lower hole out of line. I emailed the eBay guy in Germany and I sent him measurements and he sent me a replacement piece. The picture is of the replacement piece.

IMG_20190616_1204308.jpgIMG_20190616_1204308.jpg

Not sure about the backbox and inserts.

Quoted from ChadH:

I tried this today and it's not the case. Even with the coin door open I get the same sound. I have never heard any other sound upon booting it up that what I had in my video. It's the same sound 100% of the time.

#3474 4 years ago

Yup its a normal thing for Data East games to cut off the call out. Kinda stupid they took the time to program the game to do that but then the callout is cut short anyway.

#3475 4 years ago

Finally got my name on the high score board 490,000, I know that is a terrible score but I just suck at pinball in general so that is a good score for me.

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The one I currently have on my TFTC has the lower hole out of line. I emailed the eBay guy in Germany and I sent him measurements and he sent me a replacement piece. The picture is of the replacement piece.
[quoted image]
Not sure about the backbox and inserts.

I tried this today and it's not the case. Even with the coin door open I get the same sound. I have never heard any other sound upon booting it up that what I had in my video. It's the same sound 100% of the time.

Thanks very much for the measurement. Appreciate it. I also bought mine from the guy in Germany. I think he offers the green and the standard? Plastic is great quality. This was a about 3 months ago but I have only just got around to trying to install.

#3477 4 years ago

Currently working on a badly stored tftc.
Most of the metal is is corroded and it has issues with the cpu board. Hopefully i dont have to get a new board.
Cant wait to get it working again! A new plastic set and the updated rom wil be ariving tomorrow.

#3478 4 years ago

Had a strange issue happen with my yesterday. I was playing and all of a sudden the display changed to show the revision screen that is shows when it boots up. It would stay on this screen till a ball would drain or something and then it would start working again. I figured data east crappy 5 volt power connector so I pulled the display and reflowed the 5 volt solder pins. I also removed and reseated the rom that is in the 0 spot on the back of the dmd. This eprom seemed like it came out too easy so I bent the legs out a little and reinstalled it. Testing the game, it would still do the display reset issue so I decided to check voltage to the back of the display. It was showing 4.98 volts at the 5 volt connector. I again removed the eprom from the back of the dmd. It was so loose I could remove it by hand with medium force. I bent the legs out even more and reinstalled it. So far I have played about 10 games and the display has not yet reset so I think I am on the right path with the eprom being the cause. Just letting everyone know in case they run into the same issue.

#3479 4 years ago

got this done for my custom machine i am building. Thought I would share. I am very pleased with the end result

tftc topper clear-coated 002 (resized).JPGtftc topper clear-coated 002 (resized).JPG
#3480 4 years ago

Greetings Tales family - I have a current issue and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

I was messing with the backbox lights while the machine was on (I know), and my DMD cut out. I've re-seated the power and comm connections on both the power board and the DMD with no luck. I'm thinking that maybe I blew a fuse. I have been looking at pages 61-64 of the manual, but it doesn't seem to be clear to me which one to check. Has anyone else had to troubleshoot this before?

TIA

#3481 4 years ago

Wonder what could of happened with the backbox light that killed the dmd power? You didn't short anything out or drop anything down the back of the DMD. I would look at the F-7 that controls high voltage to display. I would check all the fuses with a meter just to be sure though.

#3482 4 years ago

Just to let anyone know, there is a lot of episodes of Tales from the Crypt uploaded on Youtube in case anyone wanted to watch them. I find it fun watching most of these for the first time and recognizing characters in the show from the artwork on the game

#3483 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'm not really sure how to do this exactly..... But could Q66 be the problem?
Thanks again for the help guys
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

^ So I had the transistor on Q66 replaced a long time ago and the crypt kicker was behaving normally again. No issues for almost a year.

Then yesterday I noticed that the crypt kicker was behaving oddly again like it did when the transistor on Q66 blew. I checked out the backbox and noticed Q66 transistor blew again and will need to be replaced.

The question I have is....

What could make this transistor blow again?
What can I do to ensure this isn't a regular occurrence?

Thanks folks!

#3484 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

got this done for my custom machine i am building. Thought I would share. I am very pleased with the end result[quoted image]

Looks great! I like the color scheme. I have been working on my topper today. Added some luminecent paint the the lettering and working on a lightening and thunder effect with an arduino, flahsers and uv light that just cycles through around 10 different sounds and random flashes do the display doesnt feel so static.

If i can figure out a way to upload a short vid here i will share...

#3485 4 years ago

I think i figured it out.. the sound is crappy.. there is a delay between the lightening and thunder but looking to shorten this and increase the duration flashes

https://vimeo.com/343534562

https://vimeo.com/343534764

Looks great! I like the color scheme. I have been working on my topper today. Added some luminecent paint the the lettering and working on a lightening and thunder effect with an arduino, flahsers and uv light that just cycles through around 10 different sounds and random flashes do the display doesnt feel so static.
If i can figure out a way to upload a short vid here i will share...

#3486 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Wonder what could of happened with the backbox light that killed the dmd power? You didn't short anything out or drop anything down the back of the DMD. I would look at the F-7 that controls high voltage to display. I would check all the fuses with a meter just to be sure though.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Checked f7, got wild fluctuations so I replaced it. Didn’t fix the issue and now the shooter lane isn’t feeding. My next step is to buy the manual I think because I’m having a really hard time making out the wiring diagrams in the PDF version.

Maybe while I’m waiting for it to ship I will reseat the Code and display roms.

#3487 4 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

^ So I had the transistor on Q66 replaced a long time ago and the crypt kicker was behaving normally again. No issues for almost a year.
Then yesterday I noticed that the crypt kicker was behaving oddly again like it did when the transistor on Q66 blew. I checked out the backbox and noticed Q66 transistor blew again and will need to be replaced.
The question I have is....
What could make this transistor blow again?
What can I do to ensure this isn't a regular occurrence?
Thanks folks!

Diode on the lamp/bulb could be loose/finicky. Incorrect fuses associated with those transistors. Lamp locking on from a short

#3488 4 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a working link to download the TFTC sound files? It is more for the in game call outs. Pinsound appears to have had these at one point but I can not sign up to download this file (the set security question answer doesn't work! or powerball is not the answer?). Looks like it might have been removed?

I am working on a topper hooked up with an Arduino, speakers and flashers. I have some lightening, thunder and call outs from the crypt keeper but would be great to have a wider range than the sound bites other than the Crypt Keeper doll and Christmas album I'm using. First attempt was pretty lame but getting better now. Happy to share details if anyone is interested in doing this.

On a side note, it would be interesting to also hear the quality of the sound files. I recently put in new speakers however, the sound isn't super clear, still kind of muffled. Maybe just the recording quality/bit rate from 1993?

Thanks for any help

2 weeks later
#3489 4 years ago

Just installed a ColorDMD LCD, came with a WPC power cable so I made a custom one that plugged into that, then into unused plug near coindoor.

Not too bad of a custom install to fit the LCD.

20190708_181444.jpg20190708_181444.jpg
#3490 4 years ago

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a working link to download the TFTC sound files? It is more for the in game call outs. Pinsound appears to have had these at one point but I can not sign up to download this file (the set security question answer doesn't work! or powerball is not the answer?). Looks like it might have been removed?
I am working on a topper hooked up with an Arduino, speakers and flashers. I have some lightening, thunder and call outs from the crypt keeper but would be great to have a wider range than the sound bites other than the Crypt Keeper doll and Christmas album I'm using. First attempt was pretty lame but getting better now. Happy to share details if anyone is interested in doing this.
On a side note, it would be interesting to also hear the quality of the sound files. I recently put in new speakers however, the sound isn't super clear, still kind of muffled. Maybe just the recording quality/bit rate from 1993?
Thanks for any help

You could try Astill

Also yes the sound quality isn’t great for the chips.

What is the security question?

1 week later
#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

You could try astill
Also yes the sound quality isn’t great for the chips.
What is the security question?

Thanks for the direction.

The security question is what is the name of the white ball in the twilight zone pinball.. every variation of powerball Powerball power ball didnt work...

#3493 4 years ago

Just put the finishing touches on this for a custom I am building!!

tftc electric chairs 003 (resized).JPGtftc electric chairs 003 (resized).JPG
#3494 4 years ago

Just put the finishing touches on this for a custom I am building!![quoted image]

Nice, cook em Danno!

#3495 4 years ago

Just finished Tales from the Crypt... its pretty bad ass after we powder coated. Its actually powder coated glossy black with sparkles. Color screen, new back back glass, replaced the cabinet art, colored rubbers, led just everything.

IMG_4720 (resized).jpgIMG_4720 (resized).jpgIMG_4721 (resized).jpgIMG_4721 (resized).jpgIMG_4722 (resized).jpgIMG_4722 (resized).jpgIMG_4723 (resized).jpgIMG_4723 (resized).jpgIMG_4724 (resized).jpgIMG_4724 (resized).jpg
#3496 4 years ago

BTW does anyone know where i can get a handle? That is the only thing I'm missing.

#3497 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

BTW does anyone know where i can get a handle? That is the only thing I'm missing.

Rarely but occasionally see one on EBay. Awesome game room you have there.

#3498 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I found one that isn't originally correct, but works great and being brass looks at least right. Paid $13 shipped

TFTC handle 002 (resized).JPGTFTC handle 002 (resized).JPGTFTC handle 003 (resized).JPGTFTC handle 003 (resized).JPG
#3499 4 years ago

im back .just got my second tftc yesterday. this one is not going anywhere.this is the 1st game i have sold that i missed dearly.but i had a chance to pick up a huo twilight zone that i couldn't pass on but that old saying is true. if you love something set it free and if it comes back it was meant to be. looking for a topper ASAP. and mods

#3500 4 years ago

I found one that isn't originally correct, but works great and being brass looks at least right. Paid $13 shipped[quoted image][quoted image]

Even though that isn't the stock TFTC door handle you did a nice job in sourcing and installing a substitute door handle. It looks nice.

Gord

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 210.00
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/70?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.