image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 101.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Music plays non-stop during attract mode? Like... always playing?

Yeah the music never stops. We have a long way to go to get this machine working as intended but that is the #1 complaint right now. If I could get that figured out I would be a very happy camper. I'll most likely be working on the machine again next week so if anyone comes up with any idea let me know. The help is greatly appreciated.

Added over 6 years ago:

For future pinsiders, the audio issue was fixed by replacing the ribbon cable from the sound board. Now it behaves as it should.

#3102 5 years ago

Hi all. I have an issue that I am trying to sort out with my TFTC machine. A lot of the time the ball doesn't kick out into the shooter lane. You can hear it trying but it doesn't make it all the way. This can lead onto the machine trying to load another ball (which doesn't load properly because a ball is all ready in there) and the machine telling me a ball (or sometimes 6 balls) is missing. The wire on the switch (part 22 on page 50 in the manual) on my machine is a bit bent and I thought the first thing to try is swapping the switch to make sure it is not catching... only problem is I think the manual I have has the part number incorrectly labeled because it lists the part number the same for this switch as it does for the subminiature switches, even though they are different switches. Would anyone know the correct part number for this switch so I can order a new one?

TFTC 6 ball switch assembly (resized).JPGTFTC 6 ball switch assembly (resized).JPG
#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from Arresto:

Hi all. I have an issue that I am trying to sort out with my TFTC machine. A lot of the time the ball doesn't kick out into the shooter lane. You can hear it trying but it doesn't make it all the way. This can lead onto the machine trying to load another ball (which doesn't load properly because a ball is all ready in there) and the machine telling me a ball (or sometimes 6 balls) is missing. The wire on the switch (part 22 on page 50 in the manual) on my machine is a bit bent and I thought the first thing to try is swapping the switch to make sure it is not catching... only problem is I think the manual I have has the part number incorrectly labeled because it lists the part number the same for this switch as it does for the subminiature switches, even though they are different switches. Would anyone know the correct part number for this switch so I can order a new one?
[quoted image]

The problem is usually the divot in the ball carriage from years of gameplay. No repro exists. Try boosting the solenoid power to high. That often helps. You can also try manually adjusting the problematic switch.

#3104 5 years ago

How high is the ball getting up? Try bending the deflector to give the ball a better angle to the trough.

#3105 5 years ago

Got around to working on Tales again last night. I never looked into the sound issue but I did install a new ColorDMD and started the playfield tear down. Lots and lots to be fixed before this is ready for serious play.

2018-08-28 22.26.21 (resized).jpg2018-08-28 22.26.21 (resized).jpg
2018-08-28 22.45.44 (resized).jpg2018-08-28 22.45.44 (resized).jpg

I did find this after pulling the "You're Gonna Die!" custom start button.

2018-08-28 22.25.03 (resized).jpg2018-08-28 22.25.03 (resized).jpg

A quick Google Translate tells me this says "Win Payout" in Norwegian. Pretty cool.

Here is the replacement I created based off the photo ImNotNorm shared a few posts back. It's not an exact match but it's close enough.

Crypt-Start-Button (resized).jpgCrypt-Start-Button (resized).jpg

I also made some custom instruction cards using the image from the manual cover as a base.

Crypt-Instruction-Card1 (resized).jpgCrypt-Instruction-Card1 (resized).jpg
Crypt-Instruction-Card2 (resized).jpgCrypt-Instruction-Card2 (resized).jpg

If anyone wants to print these out or use them as a base for a project here is a link to the photoshop files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwvp6z7elqcf87s/AAC2ItRFlcKX3p1dtV1Hqzvma?dl=0

Hopefully someone can get some use out of these.

#3106 5 years ago

I'd keep anything with Hungarian lettering (or any other foreign language) on it--who else will have one like that?

#3107 5 years ago

If it had anything in Hungarian I would keep it for sure. This button in Norwegian is the only thing we could find. I'll just flip that around so it's still in the machine just not visible. Let some future owner find it down the road.

#3108 5 years ago

It could also be swedish. The button is probably sourced from a poker machine of some sort.

The literal translation on the first row is "give winnings" and second row is misspelled and says "pay-out".

lol I don't why they would write basically the same thing twice. Maybe it's slightly different variation in Norway or Denmark and it would cover all of Scandinavia.

#3109 5 years ago

Installed the protector from Portugal. Seems to be beefier and I like the way it clasps to the right side where the abuse goes most rather than the front where it just rests.

IMG_20180831_162624 (resized).jpgIMG_20180831_162624 (resized).jpg
#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Installed the protector from Portugal. Seems to be beefier and I like the way it clasps to the right side where the abuse goes most rather than the front where it just rests.
[quoted image]

Beefier indeed!! You won't get any slow/medium rolls into the scoop.

#3111 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Beefier indeed!! You won't get any slow/medium rolls into the scoop.

It'll play harder, but without a shiny new playfield you gotta make choices.

#3112 5 years ago

Hey all, just sold a game so I can focus on fixing this up. Anyone happen to have a Working MPU board? Batteries toasted mine, and had the experts look at it, there’s no bringing it back. I’ve heard Rottendog can be a mixed bag, so thought I’d see if one is out there.

#3113 5 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hey all, just sold a game so I can focus on fixing this up. Anyone happen to have a Working MPU board? Batteries toasted mine, and had the experts look at it, there’s no bringing it back. I’ve heard Rottendog can be a mixed bag, so thought I’d see if one is out there.

I've been running a rottendog board in mine for over 5 years and haven't had any problems. Still have the original mpu somewhere that a previous tech mangled with some of the worst soldering I've ever personally seen.

#3114 5 years ago

I have one in mine as well. No issues at all.

1 week later
#3115 5 years ago

Anyone know what fuses are required for the shaker board? 2.5 amps sound correct?

Can't seem to find the fuse infor for the shaker board in the manual

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Post 3008, and yea 2.5

Thanks

#3118 5 years ago

Can someone enlighten me on how to activate the knocker on my TFTC?

I installed it and it works in the coil test but doesn't make a knocking sound when it hit the replay value (which is 315 million). Instead I get a little 3 seconds jingle sound when I hit the replay value.

#3119 5 years ago

The knocker was so lame on mine you are probably ahead with the jingle.

#3120 5 years ago

I don't know if this has been posted yet, so forgive me if it has. CPR has just listed TFTC playfields on their Boutique Zone pre-order list, if anyone is interested.

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The knocker was so lame on mine you are probably ahead with the jingle.

You're probably right but it's the last thing I need to enable on my TFTC. Just wondering why I can't enable it.

#3122 5 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, so forgive me if it has. CPR has just listed TFTC playfields on their Boutique Zone pre-order list, if anyone is interested.

Great news!! I am sure there are a lot of games out there that could use one, mine included!

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Yeah the music never stops. We have a long way to go to get this machine working as intended but that is the #1 complaint right now. If I could get that figured out I would be a very happy camper. I'll most likely be working on the machine again next week so if anyone comes up with any idea let me know. The help is greatly appreciated.

As far as I can recall, the music commands are mostly between 01 and 20-something (out of 0 to 255, or 00 to FF In hexadecimal). If you have a bad ribbon cable to the sound board, then it could conceivably cause this. There are 8 data lines. Let's say that D0 through D3 were good (or some portion of them) and D4 through D7 were open (I don't recall how the schematics identify the data lines). In that case, only commands 0 through 15 would be received and only music would play.

FYI - TFTC may be one of the games that you have to put in "home" mode (in Settings) to get the full sound command test mode in Diagnostics.

Another possibility is the PIA 6821 that drives these data lines is bad.

#3124 5 years ago

Is there a service bulletin for Data East flipper coils?

I'm looking at ordering coils and my manual says they are the same. But I thought the upper flipper was changed to a lesser strength one in the service bulletin.

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Is there a service bulletin for Data East flipper coils?

36631a0952cad614eaf8bbf850a9775a66976713.pdf36631a0952cad614eaf8bbf850a9775a66976713.pdf
#3126 5 years ago

Thanks for the info on the audio issues @classicgamefan. I've been working mostly on cleaning stuff up and pulling things off the play field lately but I plan to circle back to the sound issues sooner rather than later and that information will be helpful for sure.

For some reason the wood rails in this game were covered in black duct tape.
2018-09-03 11.23.29 (resized).jpg2018-09-03 11.23.29 (resized).jpg
2018-09-03 11.23.54 (resized).jpg2018-09-03 11.23.54 (resized).jpg
They looked pretty bad so while the pulling the rest of the stuff from the play field I took these out. I know pinball life sells the vinyl wrapped replacements but I figured I could do one better so I made some new rails out of oak then stained them black. Some of my cuts could have been cleaner but considering the tools I was working with they turned out pretty good. Plus the dark stain hides most of the mistakes.
2018-09-10 19.08.55 (resized).jpg2018-09-10 19.08.55 (resized).jpg
2018-09-10 19.09.03 (resized).jpg2018-09-10 19.09.03 (resized).jpg
2018-09-10 19.09.09 (resized).jpg2018-09-10 19.09.09 (resized).jpg
And here are the new and improved rails with stain and poly added.
2018-09-17 06.32.09 (resized).jpg2018-09-17 06.32.09 (resized).jpg
Besides the great duct tape job the hardware and hinges were painted a great orange color. While those were pulled off the machine I hit them with a fresh coat of black paint. I should have taken the old paint off first but, other than us weirdos, who's checking out the hinges on a pinball machine?
2018-09-16 18.04.20 (resized).jpg2018-09-16 18.04.20 (resized).jpg
2018-09-16 18.48.06 (resized).jpg2018-09-16 18.48.06 (resized).jpg
2018-09-16 19.13.06 (resized).jpg2018-09-16 19.13.06 (resized).jpg
2018-09-16 20.13.36 (resized).jpg2018-09-16 20.13.36 (resized).jpg
Anything will be an improvement over the orange hinges in my opinion. I'm hoping to get started repopulating the play field tonight with new LEDs.

#3127 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

And here's why folks are hesitant to help sometimes.....you give a guy all he needs to know, not even an thanks........

Crap @sonic. I'm so sorry that was not meant as a burn. I know this is late, but really thank you for the input to a newbie trying to understand the repair process regarding Electronic components on pinball machines.

I am truly sorry. Just wanted to drop the message you got me on my feet running to repair my system (along with the site to find the critical pieces) and removed a few hours of research by providing the post of your own experience.

#3128 5 years ago

Question, Does everyone's TFTC Backbox have the green inserts on top that looks like it was intended for lighting, or was that just on the engineering sample models?

#3129 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Question, Does everyone's TFTC Backbox have the green inserts on top that looks like it was intended for lighting, or was that just on the engineering sample models?

They weren't on any of the sample or prototype games. That was an urban legend even Stern came to believe many years later that I debunked. They were used at the back end of the production run, not the front. Perhaps they were meant for a subsequent game idea that got scrapped last minute and DE had a bunch of heads lying around they had to get out the door. They were never in the original design for Crypt.

#3130 5 years ago

It'll play harder, but without a shiny new playfield you gotta make choices.

Major props to psbvtec on eBay. He stepped up to the plate with general modification instructions and sent me a new protector that meets the prototype/sample fittment exactly. The front post in the prototype is half the distance to the scoop that it was in the production- and he made the corresponding back post adjustment spot on.

The previous install was of the production protector. It was actually protecting the repair well - I saw when I removed it- but it over hung the scoop hole in the front, reducing the hole size by a few milimeters, and since it didn't sit flush against the hole, obviously it needed this redesign.

If you're looking for a scoop protector for a repaired hole, I definitely think this is the way to go vs. the cliffy product on this game. It looks better too.

Just be sure to ask him for prototype protector when ordering if youre one of the 50 or so "lucky" owners of a sample game..
IMG_20180918_151307 (resized).jpgIMG_20180918_151307 (resized).jpgIMG_20180918_153323 (resized).jpgIMG_20180918_153323 (resized).jpg

#3131 5 years ago

For those of you that put color displays in your machines, did you go with the color LED or LCD version just curious which one you liked better and why. I'm assuming the LCD version may need a bit of tinkering to fit as where the LED version should be a direct drop in.

#3132 5 years ago

I went lcd, I use high res mode. I liked the Tales from the crypt keeper cartoon when I was a kid so it gives the game a more cartoonish look. The modding is not simple and involves dremelimg/cutting out plastic on your speaker panel. If I had to do it again I would just drop in Led.

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

I went lcd, I use high res mode. I liked the Tales from the crypt keeper cartoon when I was a kid so it gives the game a more cartoonish look. The modding is not simple and involves dremelimg/cutting out plastic on your speaker panel. If I had to do it again I would just drop in Led.

Mine came with the LED DMD and although I have a color LCD in some of my other games I think the LED blends well with the theme.

#3134 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

For those of you that put color displays in your machines, did you go with the color LED or LCD version just curious which one you liked better and why. I'm assuming the LCD version may need a bit of tinkering to fit as where the LED version should be a direct drop in.

Go with the LED - it's plug and play. With the LCD, you have to cut the speaker panel to get it to fit properly.

#3135 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Go with the LED - it's plug and play.

Word. LED fits easily and looks great.

#3136 5 years ago

That's what I decided on, just ordered the LED display.

#3137 5 years ago

I got the LCD. If I had to choose I'd go LED for simplicity. I'm glad the guy I bought my TFTC from did a great job installing the LCD.

Animations look amazing!

#3138 5 years ago

Can some please tell me the size of the ball wire guide behind the three bank drop targets. Just noticed mine is missing and going to try to locate one if not see if another alternative guide can be possible.

Thanks

#3139 5 years ago

Bolt hole- begone!

2018-09-23_19.16.08 (resized).jpg2018-09-23_19.16.08 (resized).jpg
#3140 5 years ago

Great job! If you hadn't posted a side by side I might have missed that.

#3141 5 years ago

Nifty TFTC goodie just arrived. At TPF about 4 years ago John Borg and I were discussing Crypt when he came over to sign my first game. He mentioned he had a cool large drawing in his garage somewhere. Many variations. Well, finally he dug it up ran me a digital copy and sent it my way. I framed it and added it to the game room today.

IMG_20180924_171042 (resized).jpgIMG_20180924_171042 (resized).jpgIMG_20180924_171444 (resized).jpgIMG_20180924_171444 (resized).jpg

#3142 5 years ago

TFTC has to be the best DE game ever made IMHO. Now just waiting on my 4.0 update.

#3143 5 years ago

Nifty TFTC goodie just arrived. At TPF about 4 years ago John Borg and I were discussing Crypt when he came over to sign my first game. He mentioned he had a cool large drawing in his garage somewhere. Many variations. Well, finally he dug it up ran me a digital copy and sent it my way. I framed it and added it to the game room today.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is pretty a pretty nifty little addition for your gameroom wall. He should offer these for sale as I am sure that a few other TFTC owners would purchase one from him.

Gord

#3144 5 years ago

I've spent hours up on hours creating a new sound pack for pinsound for this wonderful pin.
In my opinion many data east gems completely transforms with a new sound package and make them feel way more modern.

I have some small tweaks left to do before I release it.
I have replaced 99% if the music, 95% of all sound fx and 90% of all callouts.

Here's a preview:

#3145 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I've spent hours up on hours creating a new sound pack for pinsound for this wonderful pin.
In my opinion many data east gems completely transforms with a new sound package and make them feel way more modern.
I have some small tweaks left to do before I release it.
I have replaced 99% if the music, 95% of all sound fx and 90% of all callouts.
Here's a preview:

I like many things you've done, however, perhaps a variation without all the heavy metal music is an option - myself not a fan of metal - and thus it took away from the other things you have done so well...perhaps a version with a more atmospheric...creepy...music track throughout gameplay would be good too?

#3146 5 years ago

ok guys what modifications do i have to make to make a lcd color dmd work on my tales from the crypt.all suggestions greatly appreciated. bc i really want a lcd instead of LED

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

ok guys what modifications do i have to make to make a lcd color dmd work on my tales from the crypt.all suggestions greatly appreciated. bc i really want a lcd instead of LED

Seriously re-consider - I installed both - the LED was far superior on TFTC - not saying all pins are better with LED - but TFTC is and it's plug & play with the LED....

#3148 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Seriously re-consider - I installed both - the LED was far superior on TFTC - not saying all pins are better with LED - but TFTC is and it's plug & play with the LED....

agreed 100%, all my pins have the colorDMD lcd except TFTC which I just installed the colorDMD led and it just blows this machine out of the water. The rich colors and dot animation really gives the LED the edge over LCD for this machine plus it's just a plug and play no modifications.

#3149 5 years ago

I may be in the minrotiy, but I didnt like the led in my game and don't like the dots look overall. I typically buy the LCD and set it to hires as I like the cartoonish look of the screens. I saw a tftc at Pintastic with an LCD and really liked it, I think it was Gabe's. I went with led because of the ease of the install, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the LCD and just deal with any install issues.

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I may be in the minrotiy, but I didnt like the led in my game and don't like the dots look overall. I typically buy the LCD and set it to hires as I like the cartoonish look of the screens. I saw a tftc at Pintastic with an LCD and really liked it, I think it was Gabe's. I went with led because of the ease of the install, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the LCD and just deal with any install issues.

I found upres smoothing really fake-y on games I had it in like TZ. I was much happier with the LED. So to each their own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/63?hl=mackey256 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.