image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 101.
#3051 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've got a Cliffy on mine and have never had it interfere with ball movement. If your hole is really chewed up then Cliffy does recommend rebuilding the hole before installation in order to provide a solid foundation and completely support the protector. The repair doesn't have to be pretty since you will be covering it up.

The Mantis is a really good concept- it's just not 'plug and play' due to a wonky design variant I don't agree with that can be adjusted; with new looking scoops especially it's definitely the way to go - but only with right-side arm adjustment prior to install.

The whole putty bridge I initally tried to build on top of the protector to the playfield- look, I'm not mechanical by nature. If I was, I'd have figured the scoop vibration alone would have toppled that lightning quick. But with Gords help, have now taken what seems to be a more sustainable approach.

With mine, a sample/prototype, want to find a way to make the Mantis work well. The stock cliffy didn't fit, and the original vibe would be nice for my sample if it can be done.

#3052 5 years ago

Does anyone's TFTC launch the ball with the left flipper button (mine does)?

#3053 5 years ago

Not mine.

#3054 5 years ago

Not mine either.

#3055 5 years ago

Only if I hit both flippers together but then it launches into the bottom of 3rd flipper when it shoots out

#3056 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It was doing this the other night during a two player game. Last night it did not during my usual one player game. I'll try two players again tonight and check the wiring around the trough/shooter area.

#3057 5 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It was doing this the other night during a two player game. Last night it did not during my usual one player game. I'll try two players again tonight and check the wiring around the trough/shooter area.

Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Only if I hit both flippers together but then it launches into the bottom of 3rd flipper when it shoots out

I tried doing this with 1 player + 2 players. The same result occurred both times.

If the ball is in the shooter lane, I can hit the left or right flipper and nothing happens. I hit both flippers together nothing happens.
I hit the flippers one at a time....left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right...and then the ball launches.

#3058 5 years ago

Johnny, I would try to see if you can replicate this in test mode. Or alternatively try to find out if a different switch is triggering at the same time you use the flipper. Could be vibration causing a switch contact. IE In normal play, if the ball is in the shooter lane, and you manually press a switch that is not the drop targets, the ball will automatically launch.

#3059 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Johnny, I would try to see if you can replicate this in test mode. Or alternatively try to find out if a different switch is triggering at the same time you use the flipper. Could be vibration causing a switch contact. IE In normal play, if the ball is in the shooter lane, and you manually press a switch that is not the drop targets, the ball will automatically launch.

This is a good suggestion. I remember the ball launching when I had the glass off and testing switches.

As soon as a switch is activated the ball will launch.

#3060 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I tried doing this with 1 player + 2 players. The same result occurred both times.
If the ball is in the shooter lane, I can hit the left or right flipper and nothing happens. I hit both flippers together nothing happens.
I hit the flippers one at a time....left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right...and then the ball launches.

Thanks. There is a flipper ball launch option in the adjustments which launches the ball when both flippers are pushed at the same time. I turn this option off on my games.

I tried a two player game this morning and nothing unusual happened so it must be wiring under the playfield. I'll open it up tonight and see what may be going on...

#3061 5 years ago

Thanks. There is a flipper ball launch option in the adjustments which launches the ball when both flippers are pushed at the same time. I turn this option off on my games.
I tried a two player game this morning and nothing unusual happened so it must be wiring under the playfield. I'll open it up tonight and see what may be going on...

run a switch test and see if another switch is being activated when you hit the left flipper.

#3062 5 years ago

I have a set of now hard to find figures that fit nicely into the pin. As the story goes they were what Borg wanted to use in the machine--but were cut for cost. May be true, I don't know for sure. Send me a PM if interested.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#3063 5 years ago

Fellow TFTC owners,

Can anybody direct me to sources how to resolve Random Game Resets? My pin was working fine for months, but all of a sudden I consistently get game resets. I cannot determine what sequences of events "have to be taken" in order to make the game reset. It feels like after a random period of time, when I hit the flipper button the game would reset.

Anybody recall somebody else having this problem and can provide the resources how to diagnose this? What series of steps would you recommend for me to do to the pin to target the issue?

FYI, the machine sat idle for years until I bought it. I rebuilt the playfield, full flipper rebuild kits, replaced majority of the fuses and the game worked until recently.

#3064 5 years ago

Typically, resets are due to low voltage (should be 5v) going to the MPU/CPU board. Generally it means the capacitors or bridge rectifiers associated with the 5v line on the power board go south.

IMHO..

Easy way...you would want to pick up an xpin power supply board ($100?), swap that in and see if you still have issues.

Harder way... get a multi meter and monitor your 5v going to the CPU/MPU, if its dropping low or below 5 already then you would likely need to replace the components or go back to the easy way. Worse case is you could have some sort of a short which would lead to more troubleshooting but my guess is the power board is going.

#3065 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Typically, resets are due to low voltage (should be 5v) going to the MPU/CPU board. Generally it means the capacitors or bridge rectifiers associated with the 5v line on the power board go south.
IMHO..
Easy way...you would want to pick up an xpin power supply board ($100?), swap that in and see if you still have issues.
Harder way... get a multi meter and monitor your 5v going to the CPU/MPU, if its dropping low or below 5 already then you would likely need to replace the components or go back to the easy way. Worse case is you could have some sort of a short which would lead to more troubleshooting but my guess is the power board is going.

He is EXACTLY correct....pick up the Xpin PS board and you'll be fine....that thing fixes so many annoying problems on DE pins because of that poorly designed PS board....

#3066 5 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

He is EXACTLY correct....pick up the Xpin PS board and you'll be fine....that thing fixes so many annoying problems on DE pins because of that poorly designed PS board....

Yea.. I actually have an Xpin as a hot spare.. as soon as my original board even sniffs some issues, its coming right out and I am not looking back.

#3067 5 years ago

#3068 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Fellow TFTC owners,
Can anybody direct me to sources how to resolve Random Game Resets? My pin was working fine for months, but all of a sudden I consistently get game resets. I cannot determine what sequences of events "have to be taken" in order to make the game reset. It feels like after a random period of time, when I hit the flipper button the game would reset.
Anybody recall somebody else having this problem and can provide the resources how to diagnose this? What series of steps would you recommend for me to do to the pin to target the issue?
FYI, the machine sat idle for years until I bought it. I rebuilt the playfield, full flipper rebuild kits, replaced majority of the fuses and the game worked until recently.

The original power supplies cause more problems than they are worth, replace it with what has been mentioned or a Rotten Dog. I had soooo many issues, game was down for over a year, had it professionally repaired, lasted six months... Ditched the original PS, no problems since..

#3069 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

The original power supplies cause more problems than they are worth, replace it with what has been mentioned or a Rotten Dog. I had soooo many issues, game was down for over a year, had it professionally repaired, lasted six months... Ditched the original PS, no problems since..

I have a friend with a JP having naggy, intermittent issues and convinced him to buy a new Xpin PS - which he literally got today , just got an email that he installed it tonight and all his intermittent issues went away...and he was happy...

#3070 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I am looking for the easy way out as I have limited time. Is this the board many are recommending to get:

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-de5047/

If not, please let me know what model to get and i'll order one ASAP to see if this fixes my problem. Also, in the description it recommends to get the "GI replacement cables"... Has anyone had to get one with the board?

#3071 5 years ago

I wouldn't mind ordering a Xpin PS as well. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

#3072 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I am looking for the easy way out as I have limited time. Is this the board many are recommending to get:
https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-de5047/
If not, please let me know what model to get and i'll order one ASAP to see if this fixes my problem. Also, in the description it recommends to get the "GI replacement cables"... Has anyone had to get one with the board?

That’s the one.. Not sure about the Gi..if you can find out the connector #s, and take a look yours.. if they are browned and burnt then do it. Depending how long you expect to have the game then might be a good pickup if they aren’t too much more.

#3073 5 years ago

Edit.. I don’t think you need one and it looks like you would have to do some intermediate level wiring/soldering

#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I have a set of now hard to find figures that fit nicely into the pin. As the story goes they were what Borg wanted to use in the machine--but were cut for cost. May be true, I don't know for sure. Send me a PM if interested.
[quoted image]

Well actually the skull one was supposed to go over the scoop, kind of like Fester, but it really doesn't fit there. The others can be put in other places if desired but you'd have to modify things since the vibration in the game will otherwise cause them to slide off. I haven't modded the one I have now other than the choices of LED lighting.

#3075 5 years ago

I bought these disgustingly real looking eye ball props from eBay user -> deadheadprops

Dremmeled the back of them & placed them over the scoop + ramp LEDs. Haven't fallen off once!
2a9d967b55ed3022cf912c5f6f2a36da2ba777e7.jpg2a9d967b55ed3022cf912c5f6f2a36da2ba777e7.jpg6070ca37d0875aa939e83efe0fd9b5e9a3d6ff77.jpg6070ca37d0875aa939e83efe0fd9b5e9a3d6ff77.jpg8c4684ae7dcf49da5b015fd03ebb3c8fe6f1910a.jpg8c4684ae7dcf49da5b015fd03ebb3c8fe6f1910a.jpg

0ca7260529e880342b5cc3bdc9cf5adbe9f1f448.jpg0ca7260529e880342b5cc3bdc9cf5adbe9f1f448.jpg
#3076 5 years ago

Looking to join the club if anyone wants to sell their TFTC let me know thanks.

#3077 5 years ago

Is there any manufacturer actively making reproduction playfields? I have seen where Marco had them at some point not too long ago. I am interested in buying a new playfield to bring my project to life, so that I can join the club!

#3078 5 years ago

Just recently joined the club and I'm in the middle of sourcing parts for a teardown and cleanup. I've been lucky in my search but I haven't been able to find clear plastic replacements that will ship to the US.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find those or at the very least templates to make my own?

#3079 5 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

Is there any manufacturer actively making reproduction playfields? I have seen where Marco had them at some point not too long ago. I am interested in buying a new playfield to bring my project to life, so that I can join the club!

I too, would love a new playfield! Have not had any success in finding one though...

#3080 5 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

Took me 6-8 months, two WTB ads & constant bumping for me to finally secure a NOS TFTC playfield.

Prior to finding my NOS TFTC playfield, I messaged Mirco and asked about the possibility of a TFTC repro playfield run. He replied saying that he doesn't have the rights to reproduce them anymore and that it's not possible at this time.

Just an FYI...

#3081 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Just recently joined the club and I'm in the middle of sourcing parts for a teardown and cleanup. I've been lucky in my search but I haven't been able to find clear plastic replacements that will ship to the US.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find those or at the very least templates to make my own?

If the plastic part you need ships to Canada I can be your go between and ship it to you.

#3082 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

If the plastic part you need ships to Canada I can be your go between and ship it to you.

Thanks for the offer ImNotNorm but I think even with the shipping to Canada it might be cost prohibitive. I found an image on this site (http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/7528/clear-plastics-for-tales-from-the-crypt) which I will use to roll my own clear plastics. I'll be sure to share templates when I make those.

Does anyone have a good image of the start button? Mine was customized at one point and I'd like to come up with a suitable replacement that's closer to the original.

2018-08-17 20.45.09 (resized).jpg2018-08-17 20.45.09 (resized).jpg
#3083 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Thanks for the offer TheHueManatee but I think even with the shipping to Canada it might be cost prohibitive. I found an image on this site (http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/7528/clear-plastics-for-tales-from-the-crypt) which I will use to roll my own clear plastics. I'll be sure to share templates when I make those.
Does anyone have a good image of the start button? Mine was customized at one point and I'd like to come up with a suitable replacement that's closer to the original.
[quoted image]

Lol "You're gonna die"

Does this picture suffice?

IMG_20180820_0743268.jpgIMG_20180820_0743268.jpg
#3084 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Does this picture suffice?

That's perfect. Thank you.

I'll share the new image I come up with so others can use it if they are so inclined. Off to wait for the mailman.

#3085 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

That's perfect. Thank you.
I'll share the new image I come up with so others can use it if they are so inclined. Off to wait for the mailman.

Would you make an extra set for sale?

I purchased the large plastic on eBay from a guy in Germany. But I don't have the others.

ebay.com link: 0

#3086 5 years ago

Fellow TFTC owners,

You guys were right about my power issue. The image provided shows the horrible aftermath opening up the backbox to see with my horrible eyes. Makes since why I was getting game resets.

So, I am going to look into buying the recommended power board (XPin). I do not have electrical background here. Can you tell me what gauge of wire is used on the harness? I also have to replace that connector.

How would you suggest for me to replace the connector on the harness?
1. pull on the harness to get the rest of the slack and cut as little as I can off the burnt connector to replace with a new connector?

2. Replace the whole harness component this one is attached to?

What sites are best to order these connectors along with rolls of wire for decent prices?

Lastly, how can I prevent this from happening again in the future after I replace this board with the XPin power supply board? Is this a product of another issue that I need to resolve or does it stop there? Trying to see how fellow pinheads trace issues like this.

Thanks for the information in advance!

IMG_6924 (resized).JPGIMG_6924 (resized).JPG
#3087 5 years ago

Good news.....not that bad off....same thing happened to mine....

So, for starters, new board...you bet...Xpin is perfect...sell the old one - lots of folks will want it and will repair it - it's not lost.

Next, Great Plains Electronics has EVERYTHING you need....it's actually not too bad, but there is a BUT....you'll need a small tool that 'pops' those terminals out of the plastic housing - most of those terminals are not bad...looks like you'll have to replace at least 4 terminals....once popped out (take plenty of pics) you can simply cut off the burnt ends and put on new terminals - they are .093, as well as you'll need a new housing (all at GPE)...however, I'd replace all of the terminals - it won't take much longer to do...the big BUT here is the tool needed to crimp those terminals - (also available at GPE) - whereas the terminal stuff is cheap (the XPIN board not so much) you'll have to put some money into the crimping tool - it is NECESSARY (not nice to have) you can't do an adequate crimp without it....

#3088 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Would you make an extra set for sale?

I'll let you know when I get around to it. I'll probably make a few for practice anyway. I've never done anything like that before so it will be a fun project.

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

How would you suggest for me to replace the connector on the harness?

Where are you located? Check the Pinsider Map for nearby owners and try to make contact with the local collector community where you will find all sorts of friendly, knowledgable, and tool-rich help!

#3090 5 years ago

Where are you located? Check the Pinsider Map for nearby owners and try to make contact with the local collector community where you will find all sorts of friendly, knowledgable, and tool-rich help!

Changed my profile to show my location (Ridgecrest, CA). Yeah, as expected there is a bunch of members in LA area (2 1/2 - 3 hours away).

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into this and maybe that will work out.

#3091 5 years ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Changed my profile to show my location (Ridgecrest, CA). Yeah, as expected there is a bunch of members in LA area (2 1/2 - 3 hours away).
Thanks for the idea. I'll look into this and maybe that will work out.

And here's why folks are hesitant to help sometimes.....you give a guy all he needs to know, not even an thanks........

#3092 5 years ago

Got a bit of work done last night on Tales from the Crypt and had to share this picture of the leg brackets we replaced. The machine is super sturdy now.

At some point this machine traveled to Hungry and back again and got soaked by water somewhere along the way. That being said it plays pretty solid and the playfield is in good shape.

One problem I'm having is I can't turn off the attract music no matter what changes I make in the settings. Anyone have any ideas?

2018-08-22 18.45.54 (resized).jpg2018-08-22 18.45.54 (resized).jpg Added over 6 years ago:

For future pinsiders, the audio issue was fixed by replacing the ribbon cable from the sound board. Now it behaves as it should.

#3093 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Got a bit of work done last night on Tales from the Crypt and had to share this picture of the leg brackets we replaced. The machine is super sturdy now.
At some point this machine traveled to Hungry and back again and got soaked by water somewhere along the way. That being said it plays pretty solid and the playfield is in good shape.
One problem I'm having is I can't turn off the attract music no matter what changes I make in the settings. Anyone have any ideas?
[quoted image]

According to the TFTC manual game adjustment 34 turns attract music on/off.

Gord

#3094 5 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

According to the TFTC manual game adjustment 34 turns attract music on/off.

For some reason on this machine it does nothing. We are running the 4.0 unofficial code if that helps.

Added over 6 years ago:

For future pinsiders, the audio issue was fixed by replacing the ribbon cable from the sound board. Now it behaves as it should.

#3095 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

For some reason on this machine it does nothing. We are running the 4.0 unofficial code if that helps.

Are you sure you are "installing" the adjustment? IE is it showing "off" when you go back into the adjustment menu after rebooting or leaving the menu?

Just making sure you're covering all the bases.

#3096 5 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Just making sure you're covering all the bases.

Good advice. It's still set to "Off" and the music continues.

Steps followed so far...
Change the setting from "On" to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.
Change the setting from "Off" to "On", power cycled, still "On" (No change), power cycle, change the setting from "On to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.

I just wanted to make sure I was looking in the right spot in the menus and it sounds like I'm on the right track. Not sure what's going on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel liked I've check the obvious stuff but no luck there.

I could be jumping to conclusions but could it have something to do with the Sound Rom at all?

Added over 6 years ago:

#3097 5 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

The Mantis is a really good concept- it's just not 'plug and play' due to a wonky design variant I don't agree with that can be adjusted; with new looking scoops especially it's definitely the way to go - but only with right-side arm adjustment prior to install.
The whole putty bridge I initally tried to build on top of the protector to the playfield- look, I'm not mechanical by nature. If I was, I'd have figured the scoop vibration alone would have toppled that lightning quick. But with Gords help, have now taken what seems to be a more sustainable approach.
With mine, a sample/prototype, want to find a way to make the Mantis work well. The stock cliffy didn't fit, and the original vibe would be nice for my sample if it can be done.

So the Mantis does NOT protect an epoxy/qwikwood repaired scoop. Even after adjustment and mylar. The fill wears down in time without a cliffy. As such cliffy or cliffy like protector is needed for most TFTC scoops after such a repair- plain and simple.

While the Mantis might do the job decently on the sides, on top where no cliffy exists the fill collapses in the unprotected area from ball travel/impact, even with mylar in place. According to Vid, a fiberglass resin repair would be the indestructible workaround- but this involves serious workmanship skill in my opinion, as you'd have to manipulate a solvent in a fitted aluminum dam- and then, once repaired, what would be the need for a protector then anyways?

I went ahead and ordered a scoop protector from Portugal- the cliffy imitation, as it were- but it appears to have a latch to lock firmly to the underside of the right side of the scoop, not just the front like the Cliffy design- so my hopes is that'll be a solution that keeps the protector in place on my game.

#3098 5 years ago

Seems like a Mantis can only work properly on a new playfield or scoop with absolutely no chipping.

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Seems like a Mantis can only work properly on a new playfield or scoop with absolutely no chipping.

Yea, I was playing a few days ago and chips of qwik wood were flying around every few shots on the scoop. I still like the mantis better than the cliffy though.

In your case for sure keep the mantis until you do the swap.

#3100 5 years ago
Quoted from mackey256:

Change the setting from "On" to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.
Change the setting from "Off" to "On", power cycled, still "On" (No change), power cycle, change the setting from "On to "Off", power cycled, still "Off". - No Change, music plays non stop.

Music plays non-stop during attract mode? Like... always playing? If so, then something is wrong. Should only play briefly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/62?hl=mackey256 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.