image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 101.
#1951 8 years ago

With it sitting so long I hope the batteries haven't leaked. Get the wireform TIG welded, it's for fine detailed welding which is what you need for that but remember, your chrome will be shot in that spot.

#1952 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

With it sitting so long I hope the batteries haven't leaked. Get the wireform TIG welded, it's for fine detailed welding which is what you need for that but remember, your chrome will be shot in that spot.

what you mean short,do they cut it when they weld it?

#1953 8 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

what you mean short,do they cut it when they weld it?

Hi,

I think that Paul is saying that when you get your TFTC wireform TIG welded that the chrome will no longer be present in the spot of the TIG weld. If you need to get your TFTC wireform TIG welded you may want to also have any wireform re-chromed that you had TIG welded.

Gord

#1954 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi,
I think that Paul is saying that when you get your TFTC wireform TIG welded that the chrome will no longer be present in the spot of the TIG weld. If you need to get your TFTC wireform TIG welded you may want to also have any wireform re-chromed that you had TIG welded.
Gord

Thxs Gord

have it with no chrome its just a aestethic thing or it could bring some issues after?

#1955 8 years ago

No chrome at the weld would be just an aesthetic issue.

#1956 8 years ago
Quoted from Metzu:

i just like the TFTC i dont want to settle for other pin like doctor dude,the getaway or pinbot you know what i mean

I'd take a Getaway in proper shape all week before that TFTC... but if you plan on getting one machine and working on restoring it, that can be pretty satisfying too.

I don't see the door handle on those pics. Be positive it has it. If not you can forget about it. I snagged one up at a crazy price on eBay and that's the only one I ever saw in the 3 years I owned the machine and was getting alerts about any TFTC pinball stuff getting posted.

To give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into, I bought one that looked about as bad as this, and many hours and many hundred bucks later it looked like that.

Off the top of my head I head I had to buy a used translite in better shape than mine, a new coin door, a new DMD , a new plastic set, new inlane plastic guides, NOS door handle, etc.
I sanded the lockdown bar and siderails and painted them with high heat motor wrinkled paint, puttied the cab and touched it up with airbrush and frisket, polished and/or tumbled all metal parts.
Probably close to a 100 hours and close to 1500$ CAD.

upload_-1_(2)_(resized).jpgupload_-1_(2)_(resized).jpg

upload_-1_(1)_(resized).jpgupload_-1_(1)_(resized).jpg

upload_-1_(resized).jpgupload_-1_(resized).jpg

#1957 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I'd take a Getaway in proper shape all week before that TFTC... but if you plan on getting one machine and working on restoring it, that can be pretty satisfying too.
I don't see the door handle on those pics. Be positive it has it. If not you can forget about it. I snagged one up at a crazy price on eBay and that's the only one I ever saw in the 3 years I owned the machine and was getting alerts about any TFTC pinball stuff getting posted.
To give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into, I bought one that looked about as bad as this, and many hours and many hundred bucks later it looked like that.
Off the top of my head I head I had to buy a used translite in better shape than mine, a new coin door, a new DMD , a new plastic set, new inlane plastic guides, NOS door handle, etc.
I sanded the lockdown bar and siderails and painted them with high heat motor wrinkled paint, puttied the cab and touched it up with airbrush and frisket, polished and/or tumbled all metal parts.
Probably close to a 100 hours and close to 1500$ CAD.

upload_-1_(2)_(resized).jpgupload_-1_(1)_(resized).jpgupload_-1_(resized).jpg

thank you for the advice and teh pics.why you take the getaway before the tftc because of the condition of it?

#1958 8 years ago

Yes.
Equal condition, whatever you like best, TFTC is a cool machine.

But given the the choice between the machine in the pics and a Getaway in good player's condition I'd take Getaway in a heartbeat.
Again, if you go for the TFTC, it must have the door handle, if not the price needs to come down a good 4-500$ IMO.

#1959 8 years ago

I own getaway and tftc.
Tftc wins hands down.
Getaway doesn't offer half the things Tftc has!

#1960 8 years ago

I've played Getaway and own TFTC. I'd never trade my TFTC for the Getaway.

#1961 8 years ago

I'm not debating the TFTC vs Getaway in equal condition thing... Just saying this one TFTC looks beat up and lots of work and money to get it in a decent shape!

#1962 8 years ago

It really doesn't look beat up to me. Just dusty. The cabinet looked decent, play field didn't appear to have ghosted or chipped inserts or wear at all. I'd be a buyer all day long on it. Plus the owner is willing to make a video showing the game fully functioning.

#1963 8 years ago

Yeah I guess the playfield and cab do look pretty good...

#1964 8 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Yeah I guess the playfield and cab do look pretty good...

We all agree...no need to banter which pin is better, but this is the TFTC club page so there can be little doubt that TFTC is the greatest pin of all time! : )

#1965 8 years ago

Hi Chaps,

Just got around to installing the v4 ROMs, really impressed!

It has left me with 4 sets of blank ROMs I could program up for someone, if there is anyone in the UK that doesn't have the ability to program their own just let me know and we can sort something out. Postage will be cheap and the chips were one a couple of quid each on eBay. I assume I'm not breaking any forum rules if there is no charge?

Also, installed the Metal sound track onto the Pinsound board this week. I have to say, what an upgrade that is! Totally different dimension to the game! Of all the tinkering and upgrades I've done on this machine over the past 10 years, this wins hands down! It has inspired me to have a go making my own sound tracks too. Anyone else tried that?

Cheers

Cris

#1966 8 years ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

Hi Chaps,
Just got around to installing the v4 ROMs, really impressed!
It has left me with 4 sets of blank ROMs I could program up for someone, if there is anyone in the UK that doesn't have the ability to program their own just let me know and we can sort something out. Postage will be cheap and the chips were one a couple of quid each on eBay. I assume I'm not breaking any forum rules if there is no charge?
Also, installed the Metal sound track onto the Pinsound board this week. I have to say, what an upgrade that is! Totally different dimension to the game! Of all the tinkering and upgrades I've done on this machine over the past 10 years, this wins hands down! It has inspired me to have a go making my own sound tracks too. Anyone else tried that?
Cheers
Cris

I'd like to see and hear a video of the metal soundtrack, or at least have more info because it sounds interesting.

#1967 8 years ago

Found this video though:

#1968 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

it sounds interesting

Definitely different. It's cool that this is a potential option, however, I prefer my TFTC with the original background music. I'd suggest just installing a 5.1 surround sound inside the cabinet for a more electrifying experience before switching out the music tracks. If I did switch them out, I'd probably only want to add the actual movie intro / outro music and have it trigger at times, and still keep the catchy rendition of it that comes with the game still intact as well.

#1969 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just noticed that my Monster Jackpot light only flashes at the end of the game or during attract mode. Once the game is started, it never flashes when most of the other insert lights are triggered to flash in a pattern. Is this normal?

Can anyone take a look at their game and answer this for me?

#1970 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Found this video though:
» YouTube video

Trust me, this video does not do this justice! I have upgraded speakers on mine, the sound quality is outstanding! You can still have the exact same Legacy sound, you can simply swap using the volume pot in the coin door. I love the sound on TFTC, one of the main reasons it's my favourite game, but this upgrade does add a whole new dimension. You can easily add your own custom tracks, I'm going to have a play with that next week.

The only trouble is the Legacy voice work is very poor in comparison. I did contact John Kassir's agent to get a ball park figure to get it re-recorded and lets just say it's way beyond the scope of possibility. If it had been reasonable I would have started a kickstarter or something to get it funded, but with the ball parks quoted there is little point I don't think!

Cheers

Cris

#1971 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I just noticed that my Monster Jackpot light only flashes at the end of the game or during attract mode. Once the game is started, it never flashes when most of the other insert lights flash in a pattern. Is this normal?

I am almost certain that this is normal as the 'Monster Jackpot' insert on my game behaves the same way that you described and does not flash during gameplay when most of the other insert lights flash in a pattern. The excerpt below is from the TFTC strategy guide.

'After collecting the Double Jackpot, the tombstone raises. You must hit the Tombstone 5 times to spell C-R-Y-P-T, at which time the Monster Jackpot is lit. Each letter adds a ball but isn't worth any points. The Monster Jackpot is 50M plus the Double Jackpot value when it was collected, for a minimum of 100M. Subsequent Monster Jackpots are each 50M more (you must spell CRYPT again each time), increasing without limit.'

The real definitive experts on this would be Chad H. (wrote version 4.0 of the game ROM) and pinsider 'goatdan' who worked with Chad H. to fully define and test out the new ROM changes.

Gord

#1972 8 years ago

Thanks Gord. It just seems weird that the biggest insert of all does relatively nothing. I'll drop ChadH a note.

#1973 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Found this video though:
» YouTube video

Sorry, my video was not good quality. But the mix really IS, such a huge difference with original bad quality sounds.
Spend many many hours. You Just need to like death metal.

I you have questions about my mix, just ask

#1974 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks Gord. It just seems weird that the biggest insert of all does relatively nothing. I'll drop ChadH a note.

That insert does something very important... it lights up when Monster Jackpot is lit during Multiball.

As far as how it behaves during the various lightshows, I never noticed that.

#1975 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

That insert does something very important... it lights up when Monster Jackpot is lit during Multiball.
As far as how it behaves during the various lightshows, I never noticed that.

It is the most under-used light bulb in my house.

#1976 8 years ago
Quoted from CrisUK:

Trust me, this video does not do this justice! I have upgraded speakers on mine, the sound quality is outstanding! You can still have the exact same Legacy sound, you can simply swap using the volume pot in the coin door. I love the sound on TFTC, one of the main reasons it's my favourite game, but this upgrade does add a whole new dimension. You can easily add your own custom tracks, I'm going to have a play with that next week.
The only trouble is the Legacy voice work is very poor in comparison. I did contact John Kassir's agent to get a ball park figure to get it re-recorded and lets just say it's way beyond the scope of possibility. If it had been reasonable I would have started a kickstarter or something to get it funded, but with the ball parks quoted there is little point I don't think!
Cheers
Cris

Curious to know the approx dollar amount he came up with?

#1977 8 years ago

See pic found this on a tftc power supply board. Replaced fuse w/ same fuse. Powered up and smoke came from board almost immediately, not sure where it smoked from. Guessing ps is done but what should I check that caused this? Machine was working prior to this dmd was not. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Thx

20160223_172950_(resized).jpg20160223_172950_(resized).jpg

#1978 8 years ago

backside of ps

20160223_180455_(resized).jpg20160223_180455_(resized).jpg

#1979 8 years ago

I would check out the Data East repair guides. These power supplies are very problematic. I just shotgun repaired mine and got it working. Lots of people suggest replacing: c2, c3, c7, TR5, DB1, LM723 and the connectors at CN1 and CN2. It looks like you need to get those junky fuse holders off the board and replace them.

#1980 8 years ago

Was the DMD working then failed or never worked....is this fuse in parallel with the other fuse - were both blown?

#1981 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Was the DMD working then failed or never worked....is this fuse in parallel with the other fuse - were both blown?

DMD was not working, but pin played. fuse is in parallel and original fuse was shot as well. looking at condition overall of board I am getting a rottendog, i'm confused about where the wires that are soldered on the rear of the board will go. I have not gotten into schematics yet. Here's another pic showing the wires and connection. I don't know if it matters but this is a re-import (taiwan). thx

#1982 8 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

DMD was not working, but pin played. fuse is in parallel and original fuse was shot as well. looking at condition overall of board I am getting a rottendog, i'm confused about where the wires that are soldered on the rear of the board will go. I have not gotten into schematics yet. Here's another pic showing the wires and connection. I don't know if it matters but this is a re-import (taiwan). thx

20160223_214528_(resized).jpg20160223_214528_(resized).jpg

#1983 8 years ago

Agreed with getting a new board, but don't do Rottendog - go Xpin....far superior....http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-de5047/

I have the RD power supply in my TFTC - but it came that way - if I had to buy - I'd get the Xpin....that said - it looks like they hard wired that IDC connector for the GI (I think CN8?) so you'd need to re-connectorize that connection.....

#1984 8 years ago

yep cn8.. thx for the help

#1985 8 years ago

I need to rebuild both the left and right role under gates. Im going to opt for the POTC one for the right, and i have the left one.

But i need to know what other parts i'll need, length of screw and what not.

Cheers.

#1986 8 years ago

And don't think the old board worthless (although arguably engineered poorly), you can send it to someone like John Wart for refurb and sell - or just sell outright - it still has function/value....

#1987 8 years ago

That PS failure is likely why your DMD stopped working as well.....take a read of this post for more of an FYI than anything....is the DMD Cherry, Vishay or Babcock? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/problem-with-2-new-x-pin-power-supplies-anybody-else-bought-them#post-387026

#1988 8 years ago

Vishay i'm headed over to read up on this link, thx

#1989 8 years ago

I'm officially in the club! Up and running thanks Sonic for your help.

20160226_185739_(resized).jpg20160226_185739_(resized).jpg

#1990 8 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

20160226_185739_(resized).jpg

That looks to be in great shape.

#1991 8 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

20160226_185739_(resized).jpg

My pleasure Ted...enjoy the manual too and wait until you get those ROM's.....also, JUST did the nylon bolt/washer trick on the sound board - now my Crypt was not as noisy as other DE pins people post about, but it did indeed reduce the noise....very fascinating.....

#1992 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

My pleasure Ted...enjoy the manual too and wait until you get those ROM's.....also, JUST did the nylon bolt/washer trick on the sound board - now my Crypt was not as noisy as other DE pins people post about, but it did indeed reduce the noise....very fascinating.....

I tried it a well and didn't notice a difference. Do you have a pic of yours?

#1993 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure/page/4#post-1521153

Can do, but in the meanwhile - take a look at this post... here it was done on a R&B - but its all right there....the same sound board...same bolts....only 4.... I put the washers behind the board.......yours may have been pretty quiet to start (which is a good thing) I recall some connection the PS board as well - and yours is brand spanky new....

#1994 8 years ago

I'm in,cleaned up real nice.
Also have a NOS spare playfield for it.
Not sure if it will go in the game,doesn't really need it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1995 8 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I'm in,cleaned up real nice.

Looks great - welcome to the club!

#1996 8 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

If you ever want to part with that let me know. My machine certainly does need it, and I've not had any luck finding an NOS one.

Cheers

Cris

#1997 8 years ago

cryptkeeper-mansion_(resized).jpgcryptkeeper-mansion_(resized).jpg

#1998 8 years ago

Missing a couple of parts from my TFTC. Looking for parts 500-5657-00 (Left Ramp Roll Under Gate Ass'y) & 500-5658-00 (Right Ramp Roll Under Gate Ass'y). Anyone know where to source these parts? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

#1999 8 years ago

What screws do you use to attach head to shooter housing?

#2000 8 years ago

A smal playful test on my topper

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.