image (resized).jpg
IMG_4702 (resized).jpeg
20240313_223754 (resized).jpg
20240313_223738 (resized).jpg
20240313_224254 (resized).jpg
IMG_4692 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4694 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 101.
#1851 8 years ago

Will do, but that diode is on wrong isn't it?

#1852 8 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Will do, but that diode is on wrong isn't it?

Nope, line on diode towards blk wire.. Just checked mine for you. Also, mine was the same way when I got it, flipper would not work right. Replaced coil etc only to find out it was a dirty contact on the flipper leaf switch, two seconds with a file and it was perfect!

tmp_18770-20151216_120348-922826430.jpgtmp_18770-20151216_120348-922826430.jpg

#1853 8 years ago

Cheers I'll give that a go..

#1854 8 years ago

Didn't work

Can you take a PIC of the other two Flipper coils as well please?

#1855 8 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Didn't work
Can you take a PIC of the other two Flipper coils as well please?

Done.. (I miss the UK, can I mail myself to you? ) Also, I meant the right flipper button leaf switch, was that the one you cleaned?

tmp_11314-20151217_142339-922826430.jpgtmp_11314-20151217_142339-922826430.jpg
tmp_11314-20151217_142323788793790.jpgtmp_11314-20151217_142323788793790.jpg

3 weeks later
#1856 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Can anyone tell me the size or part # for the posts at the entrance for each ramp? I've ordered the wrong diameter threaded base (too large) it seems. Part # appears to be 530-5007-00, but for some reason the #10 base seems to be too large for those holes.

I just replaced the posts to the ramps with the 530-5332-03 (also suggested replacement) from Marco. They are a skosh bigger but if you just thread them in there will be no problem. Hope this helps.

#1857 8 years ago

Tales from the Crypt is coming back to TV this year via TNT.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3375758/tnt-revives-tales-from-the-crypt/

#1858 8 years ago

Why do people do this? SMH...

IMG_2534_(resized).JPGIMG_2534_(resized).JPG

#1859 8 years ago

Sweet. The Crypt Keeper will be back.

#1860 8 years ago

The electric chair 'Marv' mod by the Modfather and the micro display mod by 'Sparky Pinball' have now been installed in my TFTC.

Electric Chair Marv mod by the ModfatherElectric Chair Marv mod by the Modfather
Micro display mod by Sparky PinballMicro display mod by Sparky Pinball

This TFTC restoration was just completed by Bryan Kelly. I will take and post more high resolution photos of the game in the next 2 weeks or so.

Gord

#1861 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The electric chair 'Marv' mod by the Modfather and the micro display mod by 'Sparky Pinball' have now been installed on my TFTC.
Electric Chair Marv Mod by the Modfather
Micro Display Mod by Sparky Pinball
This TFTC restoration was just completed by Bryan Kelly. I will take and post more photos of the game once it is shipped in the next 2 weeks or so.
Gord

Cool. Looks like you have blue mirror blades on it.

#1862 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool. Looks like you have blue mirror blades on it.

Hi Paul,

No mirror blades have been installed on this game. I don't have the game yet as the restoration (Bryan Kelly) was just completed today, but the cabinet underwent a full restoration and repaint so it is just the finish of the blue paint of the cabinet. I will take several high definition photos when I receive the game and post them here.

The cabinet may have been clear coated after it was painted or perhaps that is the sheen of the paint that was used. Below are some photos of the inside of the cabinet after it was painted.

IMG_35891_(resized).jpgIMG_35891_(resized).jpg
IMG_19031_(resized).jpgIMG_19031_(resized).jpg

Gord

#1863 8 years ago

Included below are a few photos during the restoration process (Bryan Kelly) of my TFTC. More high resolution photos to follow in a couple of weeks or so.

Gord

Finished_W_Wireforms_(resized).jpgFinished_W_Wireforms_(resized).jpg
IMG_86831_(resized).jpgIMG_86831_(resized).jpg
imagejpeg_3_(resized).jpgimagejpeg_3_(resized).jpg
Backbox_1_(resized).jpgBackbox_1_(resized).jpg
IMG_01771_(resized).jpegIMG_01771_(resized).jpeg
Backbox_2_(resized).jpgBackbox_2_(resized).jpg
Left_Front_Corner_(resized).jpgLeft_Front_Corner_(resized).jpg

#1864 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The electric chair 'Marv' mod by the Modfather and the micro display mod by 'Sparky Pinball' have now been installed in my TFTC.
Electric Chair Marv mod by the Modfather
Micro display mod by Sparky Pinball
This TFTC restoration was just completed by Bryan Kelly. I will take and post more photos of the game once it is shipped in the next 2 weeks or so.
Gord

Thanks for posting the pics of the MDM! The entire game looks incredible! I have learned soooo much looking at Bryan's pics, tips, process, posts, etc.

#1865 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Electric Chair Marv mod by the Modfather
Micro display mod by Sparky Pinball
Gord

Where did you get the new ramps? It looks like they're brand new. Machine looks spectacular.

#1866 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Included below are a few photos during the restoration process (Bryan Kelly) of my TFTC. More high resolution photos to follow in a couple of weeks or so.
Gord
Finished_W_Wireforms_(resized).jpg
IMG_86831_(resized).jpg
imagejpeg_3_(resized).jpg
Backbox_1_(resized).jpg
IMG_01771_(resized).jpeg
Backbox_2_(resized).jpg
Left_Front_Corner_(resized).jpg

Dang Gord, yours is the best TFTC on the PLANET!!! Looks like they cleared the inside if you ask me. I'd cry if I scratched um.

#1867 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang Gord, yours is the best TFTC on the PLANET!!! Looks like they cleared the inside if you ask me. I'd cry if I scratched um.

Thanks. Bryan does a great job on his restorations and he did a great job on this TFTC as per his normal high standards.

Gord

#1868 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Where did you get the new ramps? It looks like they're brand new. Machine looks spectacular.

Hi Kev,

No the wire ball ramps are not new. They were re-chromed by Mike Chestnut who does really, really nice work. The stainless steel ramps were re-grained by Bryan Kelly during the restoration process and he had a buddy fix a couple of broken welds on the stainless steel ramps as shown in the photos below.

IMG_71401_(resized).jpgIMG_71401_(resized).jpg
IMG_02771_(resized).jpgIMG_02771_(resized).jpg

That is one nice thing about a TFTC restoration as there are no plastic ramps to worry about so the existing metal ramps can generally be made to look like new with re-graining, re-welding and re-chroming as needed.

Gord

#1869 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Paul,
No mirror blades have been installed on this game. I don't have the game yet as the restoration (Bryan Kelly) was just completed today, but the cabinet underwent a full restoration and repaint so it is just the finish of the blue paint of the cabinet. I will take several high definition photos when I receive the game and post them here.
The cabinet may have been clear coated after it was painted or perhaps that is the sheen of the paint that was used. Below are some photos of the inside of the cabinet after it was painted.
Gord

That's a damn nice looking game right there.

#1870 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Kev,
No the wire ball ramps are not new. They were re-chromed by Mike Chestnut who does really, really nice work. The stainless steel ramps were re-grained by Bryan Kelly during the restoration process and he had a buddy fix a couple of broken welds on the stainless steel ramps as shown in the photos below.
IMG_71401_(resized).jpg
IMG_02771_(resized).jpg
That is one nice thing about a TFTC restoration as there are no plastic ramps to worry about so the existing metal ramps can generally be made to look like new with re-graining, re-welding and re-chroming as needed.
Gord

You had your ramps chromed? WOW you really went all out.

#1871 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

This TFTC restoration was just completed by Bryan Kelly. I will take and post more high resolution photos of the game in the next 2 weeks or so.

Wow! Looks amazing!

Dang, a newly restored game... with new 4.00 code... and TFTC returning to TV later this year... you must be in Crypt Keeper heaven!

#1872 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Wow! Looks amazing!
Dang, a newly restored game... with new 4.00 code... and TFTC returning to TV later this year... you must be in Crypt Keeper heaven!

Hi Chad,

Yup, I have the new 4.0 game/display ROMS ready to be installed as soon as I take delivery of the game. Thanks for updating the TFTC game/display ROMS and breathing new life into an already great game.

And yes, I am in Crypt Keeper heaven.

Gord

#1873 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You had your ramps chromed? WOW you really went all out.

Hi Paul,

Yes, when taking a game to a high level restoration like this it is worth it to me to have the wire ball ramps re-chromed during the process. I have significantly more into this game than it is worth on the open market, but that is the way that it goes.

TFTC is a game I have been hunting for a long time and I could not find one in the type of condition that I desired so a TFTC Bryan Kelly restoration project was born. I was always a little leery of getting a DE pin, but I picked up a really nice JP last summer and that convinced me that DE games are also nice games.

Thanks.

Gord

#1874 8 years ago

Thanks for all the comments regarding my TFTC restoration.

#1875 8 years ago

Duplicate Post - sorry about that

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1876 8 years ago

Oh, when you said "ramps" I thought you had the metal ramps chromed, you were actually talking about the wire form's.

#1877 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh, when you said "ramps" I thought you had the metal ramps chromed, you were actually talking about the wire form's.

Yes, sorry about the miscommunication. The actual metal ramps (not wire forms) were re-grained and cleaned and not chromed.

Gord

#1879 8 years ago

I just got done installing the 4.0 roms. Can anyone tell me is the Cryptkeeper image where he blows his brains out with a gun. Is that still in the game? I used to see it and tonight I didn't see it once.

Thanks
Magicchiz

#1880 8 years ago

Yes, the FREEZE ball save(where he shoots himself) is still in the game on the new roms.

#1881 8 years ago

Hay guys,

I have a very nice original TFTC for sale. Its not listed yet. I'm in the Dc area. If anyone is looking for one hit me up with a pm.

Thanks,

#1882 8 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

the Cryptkeeper image where he blows his brains out

I can also confirm I am very pleased to see this is still in the game with the 4.0 rom update. Such a great game! The new update really added a new dimension and more great call outs! I think there is an extra animation in there now I don't remember seeing previously but I forget what it was.

#1883 8 years ago

Speaking of the new 4.0 rom update - I'm noticing that overall, my high scores are a lot lower than they used to be. Not a big deal, just means I've got to work harder. But have others noticed this as well? Or is it due to the way I play the game? Maybe others are getting higher scores than they did prior to the update? I won't be switching back, I like the work ChadH did on the rom too much.

Oh, and gordonbowar - that is one beautiful Tales from the Crypt you've got there. So glad to see it being restored to it's former glory and perhaps better than it was out of the factory.

#1884 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Oh, and gordonbowar - that is one beautiful Tales from the Crypt you've got there. So glad to see it being restored to it's former glory and perhaps better than it was out of the factory.

Thanks sevenrites, I am looking forward to getting the game soon. I also like reading about the features in the new TFTC game/display ROMS and how everyone really seems to like the new and improved ROMS.

Gord

#1885 8 years ago
Quoted from gameon46:

Hay guys,
I have a very nice original TFTC for sale. Its not listed yet. I'm in the Dc area. If anyone is looking for one hit me up with a pm.
Thanks,

This user posted recently that he is looking for a TFTC. You may want to reach out to him regarding your TFTC that is now for sale.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-tales-from-the-crypt-data-east-1993-1997

Gord

#1886 8 years ago

I suspect some of the lower scoring is due to multi ball being perhaps a bit tougher than it was. I don't recall being able to get the double jackpot by hitting the left ramp many times over anymore - seems I have to hit the double jackpot ramp to get it now - as it always probably should have been. So that makes it tougher to progress to monster jackpot for sure. I hit crypt jam 2x on the same game yesterday and still only hit 1.7 billion.

#1887 8 years ago

Thanks pm sent.

Greg

#1888 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Speaking of the new 4.0 rom update - I'm noticing that overall, my high scores are a lot lower than they used to be. Not a big deal, just means I've got to work harder. But have others noticed this as well? Or is it due to the way I play the game? Maybe others are getting higher scores than they did prior to the update?

It's probably related to the fact you get multiball a bit less often now. For the most part, we didn't lower any particular scores, just evened them out better.

The new roms do open up some new strategies however. For instance, you can now shoot the left ramp to start a very lucrative frenzy mode with the right ramp. The risk / reward is higher though, so if you do a lot of that and end up missing your shots, you would get a lower score. It's all about developing the correct strategy for you that you can execute.

By the way, interesting factoid, we didn't add or remove anything from the display rom. All those new sounds you're hearing were in the rom originally and simply not called in the code. It was amazing how many unused voice calls there were in Tales, especially considering how often the keeper just cackled before.

#1889 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

By the way, interesting factoid, we didn't add or remove anything from the display rom. All those new sounds you're hearing were in the rom originally and simply not called in the code. It was amazing how many unused voice calls there were in Tales, especially considering how often the keeper just cackled before.

Hi Dan,

I am looking forward to installing the new 4.0 ROMS into my TFTC. It is my understanding that some of the Crypt Keeper's cackling has been replaced by actual voice calls now. Would that be correct?

While I do like the CK's cackling, adding previously unused voice calls to replace some of the cackling will be a nice upgrade.

Gord

#1890 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I spent a lot of time analyzing all the voice calls. It was great to find so many that were unused or rarely used! One of the old complaints about TFTC was people wanted more Crypt Keeper and it was crazy to find out that there was so much more available but not implemented.

Also a lot of time was spent rearranging the choreography where voice calls were placed into gameplay so they would make more sense and give the player better feedback. For example... the game used to always say "Who goes there?" every time Mystery Door was lit and also every time you'd hit the Left Loop or Right Loop switch. So the game was constantly saying "Who goes there?". I removed it from the loop switches... which is great for the player because now whenever you hear that voice call, you know Mystery Door is lit.

Another example is in the old game, regardless of whether you made a successful skill shot or not, the audio played back was identical. So the only way to confirm that you actually were successful was to look at the DMD. With 4.00, the Crypt Keeper now tells you when you were successful (with one of four random sound calls to not make it so repetitive).

Yet another example is in the old game, when you hit all drop targets to advance the bonus multiplier, the Crypt Keeper would say "Bury good!" which is fine, but this is used elsewhere in the game quite often. Instead he now says "Put a little meat on your bonus!" which is unique and gives that absolute feedback to the player that they just advanced the bonus multiplier.

Overall, I'd say the entire audio experience in 4.00 is light years ahead of the old version.

#1891 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Dan,
I am looking forward to installing the new 4.0 ROMS into my TFTC. It is my understanding that some of the Crypt Keeper's cackling has been replaced by actual voice calls now. Would that be correct?
While I do like the CK's cackling, adding previously unused voice calls to replace some of the cackling will be a nice upgrade.
Gord

Correct.

See here for all details:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

#1892 8 years ago

Ahh - here's a quick question I had since you guys are all here discussing the code - yesterday I made it to Door Prize 2x. Picked center, then left and got hung. Did the same sequence on the 2nd time around, and it ended the same. I can't remember if I was on the same ball or not, but same game, I had made it to Crypt Jam and was coming back around for more. So I'm wondering is the Door Prize only randomized each game - as in, if I get there 2x or more in one game will it be the same pattern or was that just coincidence I did center and then left door 2x and got hung on the left door each time? Just wondering if either of you noticed how that worked when you were in the code.

I do see it mentions it was random and not tournament friendly before the update, but I'm still confused.

I love all of the new, previously unused callouts, including new door prize "open wide and say ahhhhhhh!" You guys did an amazing job with all of this.

#1893 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

So I'm wondering is the Door Prize only randomized each game - as in, if I get there 2x or more in one game will it be the same pattern or was that just coincidence I did center and then left door 2x and got hung on the left door each time? Just wondering if either of you noticed how that worked when you were in the code.
I do see it mentions it was random and not tournament friendly before the update, but I'm still confused.

It's the stupidest video mode ever. The game picks before you do whether any door will be successful or not. Then it gives you the points if it decides you'll be successful no matter which door you pick, or fails you no matter what door you pick. There is no skill to it. It essentially is a long way to get a mystery bonus.

I generally hate video modes, and I especially hate stuff like this, so that's why in tournament mode you just get points and continue on.

#1894 8 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The game picks before you do whether any door will be successful or not. Then it gives you the points if it decides you'll be successful no matter which door you pick, or fails you no matter what door you pick.

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused, it sounds like it's random but it's not, maybe it changed, maybe it didn't. I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates? I know I've gotten through at least 5, maybe 6 doors before.

On another side note - this may be the new DMD graphic I thought I noticed since all of the code fixes - "Fixed bug where the final CRYPT lowering video when collecting “T” would not play."

#1895 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Hmm, I'm still a bit confused, it sounds like it's random but it's not, maybe it changed, maybe it didn't. I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates? I know I've gotten through at least 5, maybe 6 doors before.

It's random each time. There is no pattern. However, if you are in Tournament Mode then this mode is essentially skipped and you are granted 30 Million in its place.

Quoted from sevenrites:

On another side note - this may be the new DMD graphic I thought I noticed since all of the code fixes - "Fixed bug where the final CRYPT lowering video when collecting “T” would not play."

Yep, that one is new. (Was always there, just never played before.)

#1896 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I thought I remembered a bit of a pattern that worked on it on maybe the original rom the game shipped with prior to any other updates?

True. Early versions of TFTC had a set door pattern. They removed this though and made it random instead.

#1897 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

What I'm saying is it was luck. There is no pattern, there is no skill. Before you pick a door the game has already decided if it is going to let you through or not. The door you pick matters nothing, the game has already decided if you are going to make it or not.

It's why we made the scores get smaller the more doors you go through now. Since there is no skill in getting further, the game just says "yup, you'll make it through this door!" so to even that out the more doors you get let through, the less points you get. That way, when the game randomly hands you four doors, you aren't setting a high score from a totally random occurrence.

I hope that clears it up, I had realized after I posted it I wasn't completely clear on that first post.

#1898 8 years ago

Awesome, thank you both for clarifying and again, for making this already awesome game a heck of a lot better in many ways! There is NO WAY this game is ever leaving my collection.

Dan, that door prize explanation makes a lot more sense to me now, thanks!

#1899 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

True. Early versions of TFTC had a set door pattern. They removed this though and made it random instead.

Oh yeah, and sorry - we were working off the most recent roms, but I had heard the originals had a pattern like Chad says. If you were updating from the most recent code however, it was straight luck.

#1900 8 years ago

Whipped this up for my TFTC this week

09A9ED43-A8EE-4090-B991-7BAE8B0FED28E8D5652D-E29C-494D-9BD6-D5BF8D46FFA9_(resized).jpg09A9ED43-A8EE-4090-B991-7BAE8B0FED28E8D5652D-E29C-494D-9BD6-D5BF8D46FFA9_(resized).jpg
5544F397-2A8B-4153-9221-4D6F01249E31E6A9F325-8872-4512-BD5B-91051ED3B930_(resized).jpg5544F397-2A8B-4153-9221-4D6F01249E31E6A9F325-8872-4512-BD5B-91051ED3B930_(resized).jpg
92ED1E82-84A9-43FF-A241-ACF534EBDF95AEA8E7E7-5B64-417D-A0C6-536D01EFCBE5_(resized).jpg92ED1E82-84A9-43FF-A241-ACF534EBDF95AEA8E7E7-5B64-417D-A0C6-536D01EFCBE5_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

9,000 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

There are 5,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 101.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-owners-fang-club-the-morgue-the-merrier/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.