Topic Stats

• 3,553 posts
  • 284 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 minutes ago by kciaccio
  • Topic is favorited by 116 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,064 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TFTC shirt project 008 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
5B93A1E4-3BF2-44C3-A311-26D4639CAD16 (resized).jpeg
Tales from the Crypt Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
6B22EB18-464C-4AEA-9E9A-0BA5762C9DB4 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4923 (resized).jpg
IMG_4922 (resized).jpg
IMG_4921 (resized).jpg
IMG_4920 (resized).jpg
TFTC handle 002 (resized).JPG
TFTC handle 003 (resized).JPG
IMG_4724 (resized).jpg
IMG_4723 (resized).jpg
IMG_4722 (resized).jpg
IMG_4721 (resized).jpg
IMG_4720 (resized).jpg

There are 3553 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 72.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I posted a little while back that I ordered the special paint for TFTC, which is mixed to be exactly to the DE specifics for the game. I thought I would show a fast pic pic of it, so others can see it is pretty spot on, especially for touch up. It's just the first coat, but I think you will get the idea. The "after" pic has some glare on it, but again, I figured it would be helpful.
--ed
Here is the link to the website that has the game specific paint: http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm#

Yep matches up nicely, have some myself. The other colors match too, just for reference.

Quoted from Krakatoa:Seems like it took forever to get one but I'm finally in the club!!! Needs to be cleaned up a bit and had to replace a couple of lamp sockets but otherwise in nice condition and plays great.

Welcome to the club. You'll enjoy it alot.

#102 6 years ago

Just picked up a TFTC tonight. It's a beater (like all of my pins), but plays well and the price was right (I think, it's still the most I've paid for a pin). Somehow, I now have 3 of the 4 pins that Data East manufactured in 1993. And those are my only pins. I guess I'll have to get Jurrasic Park at some point for completeness.

The bad and weird (at least some of it):

• Missing shaker motor
  • All of the removable plastics were cleaned with something that took off almost all of the color. I basically have a clear plastic set with some black lines. I noticed at least a few broken plastics.
  • Microswitch bracket is broken off right ramp flap
  • The bottom of cab was replaced at some point. Probably water damage, but the sides don't seem bad (lots of wear, but no swelling).
  • Door handle is there, but standard switch lever is gone. A switch was inserted into the top of the keeper's head. Functional and decent job, but ugly.
  • Williams flipper bats instead of Data East
  • No topper
  • The rubbers around the captive ball appear to be some sort of automotive tubing

There are lots of other standard problems like the scoop wear. The playfield appears to be in decent shape. Wire forms /habit rails are also good. I'm looking forward to becoming active in the club, but I have a few other projects to finish before I jump into TFTC fully.

Oh yeah, it also appears to be a re-import from China (?). I didn't know DE even exported to China (especially 20 years ago). Since my LAH is from Canada and my R&B is from Belgium, I guess I'll have to find a JP from South America, Australia, or Africa to keep my collection separated.

Regards,
Jon

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

Just got one in this weekend very excited !!!!Mine needs a good bit of work to get it up and running.In need of a deep cleaning as well none the less very excited!!

The apron decals on yours look yellow, is that actually the case? As the production ones are red. Do you think they simply lost their red color, or yours were yellow and maybe a mod, or even a variation from DE?

#104 6 years ago

Hi,
I'm one of the unlucky members of this select club that has a pretty beat up machine... Nothing too bad to fix except for the dreaded missing door handle.
However, I happen to have a bunch of 3D designers at my job, and I have a friend who has a good CNC machine too, so I was thinking of trying to do my own repro.

Would another member of the club be so kind as to send me good pictures of the handle from the side, the front, the bottom and a "corner" one, along with some measurements?

Not sure I can pull this off, but seems to be the only way I can get a replacement...

#105 6 years ago

Anyone? I don't need it to be removed from the cabinet... I already found some pretty good front shots, but a side and bottom one would be neat.

#106 6 years ago

I'll take some pictures and get them up in a little bit...

#107 6 years ago

Nice! Thanks a lot!
They're actually doing a contest at works to see who can do the best design

I'll post the results here...

#108 6 years ago

Here are pictures. I thought I had a pretty comprehensive bunch of measurements but I missed the length of the handle, the thickness of the handle, and the size of the loop in the handle. Let me know if you need those or not.

https://plus.google.com/102914147600021903401/posts/7ufDT5sj8KJ

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

The apron decals on yours look yellow, is that actually the case? As the production ones are red. Do you think they simply lost their red color, or yours were yellow and maybe a mod, or even a variation from DE?

I was wondering the same I have never seen yellow just the red. They look nice in yellow.

#110 6 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much... actually since the crypt keeper head is available online I won't have the guys work on that one - that would be quite a challenge for the contest though...
Yes, I would have liked to have the length of the handle, but I can still see the traces of it on my machine so I can measure it right there.

I'd still be a taker for the exact measurements of all that stuff though when you have time.

As for the functioning, I guess the inside part of the latch is so close to the switch blade that as it goes up it presses it shut?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5936-00

Thank you very much again.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I posted a little while back that I ordered the special paint for TFTC, which is mixed to be exactly to the DE specifics for the game. I thought I would show a fast pic pic of it, so others can see it is pretty spot on, especially for touch up. It's just the first coat, but I think you will get the idea. The "after" pic has some glare on it, but again, I figured it would be helpful.
--ed
Here is the link to the website that has the game specific paint: http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm#

Hey there!

I have some of that paint too - it is beautiful to say the least! Looks like you did a great job!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you apply it? Some have said to use "foam" paintbrushes - others have prep techniques they do first, and still others apply with $1.00 paint brushes from Home Depot/Lowes. Could you share your technique, please? Thanks!

#112 6 years ago

Anyone remember the TFTC phone hotline you could call to play the game to win prizes when the show was on HBO. Boy oh boy I remember getting in trouble with my parents because I called too many times and got charged the 99 cents a minute or whatever it was back then and still never one. Only remember making it to level 3 or 4. Maybe somebody can dig up those audio files.

#113 6 years ago

I got my TFTC a couple of weeks ago, I payed a good price for it but it's in fantastic shape, the door button even works and has an original? topper. Haven't played it much, it's in the garage while I work on my game room down the basement. Now here's a sweet story, I'm a courier and was planning on driving down to Omaha from St. Paul, MN to pick it up on a Sat. My boss called me up the Monday before that Sat. and said "guess where your going for a delivery...OMAHA"!! So long story short I drove down with 1500lbs of green peppers, delivered them then drove 11 miles to the sellers house, picked up the game and drove home getting back at 3am the next morning. Not only did I save the $150 in gas and 13 hours on the road from NOT doing it on Sat. but my boss gave me a $300 bump on my paycheck for doing the run. DAMN I LOVE this game.

Can I join the club? Crypt_1.JPG Crypt_2.JPG Crypt_3.JPG Crypt_4.JPG Crypt_5.JPG

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I got my TFTC a couple of weeks ago
Can I join the club?

Quoted from classicgamefan:

Just picked up a TFTC tonight.
Regards,
Jon

Congratz to both of you on the new edition, and welcome to the club.

#115 6 years ago

Mid race!
Guy on the left with a slight edge. I told them to not bother with the details of the plate at the top since it's to be hidden by the cryptkeeper head.
Still missing are the dotted surface and the latch...

MidRace1.JPG MidRace2.JPG

#116 6 years ago

I tried using the pinballuniverse site to buy paint and I couldn't get the order form to work so I called them and the call wouldn't go thru. What the ????

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I tried using the pinballuniverse site to buy paint and I couldn't get the order form to work so I called them and the call wouldn't go thru. What the ????

That's really weird, butI just tried it, and it worked for me.
I clicked "add to cart," and the Paypal cart/checkout came right up with no problem.
Perhaps try it on another computer?

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Can I join the club?

Of course, welcome!
Congrats on the game, and that is an awesome story!

--ED LI NY

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Hey there!
I have some of that paint too - it is beautiful to say the least! Looks like you did a great job!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you apply it? Some have said to use "foam" paintbrushes - others have prep techniques they do first, and still others apply with $1.00 paint brushes from Home Depot/Lowes. Could you share your technique, please? Thanks!

I thought I had some of the foam brushes, which I intended to use, but, of course, they were MIA when I went looking for them to do the game.

I wound up grabbing some old generic/no frill brush I had laying around (I think it was one that was previously used for some other painting I did around the house, then clean and stored). I had only intended to do a small test patch, and then get a better brush and do the full job another day. Once I got in to it, and I saw the old brush I had was doing great, I just decided to finish the job.
I didn't do anything special as far as prep went, just made sure there was no debris or dirt on the cab and then just went to town. There were a few spots I hit more then once, but that is about it.

--ED LI NY

#120 6 years ago

All of the removable plastics were cleaned with something that took off almost all of the color. I basically have a clear plastic set with some black lines. I noticed at least a few broken plastics.

From what I have been told, a repro set will be available by the end of the year

Congrats on picking up your TFTC!

--ED LI NY

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Looks like you did a great job!

Thanks

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Of course, welcome!
Congrats on the game, and that is an awesome story!
--ED LI NY

Thanks EN3, wish all my pin buys could have worked that way.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

That's really weird, butI just tried it, and it worked for me.
I clicked "add to cart," and the Paypal cart/checkout came right up with no problem.
Perhaps try it on another computer?

On their site it says that if your buying more then one, I was buying 3 dif. colors that I had to call to order....well the phone didn't work either. I try that again today.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

From what I have been told, a repro set will be available by the end of the year
--ED LI NY

From CPR?

#125 6 years ago

Not that I heard.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

On their site it says that if your buying more then one, I was buying 3 dif. colors that I had to call to order....well the phone didn't work either. I try that again today.

I tried calling again today and it won't go through???

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I tried calling again today and it won't go through???

Maybe just shoot them an email?

#128 6 years ago

Yes, from CPR. I emailed them asking if the TFTC would be getting done, as it is a project that has been mentioned as in progress for a long time, and it is a title many people would love to see done, so they could order it.
Kevin wrote me back and said:
"They are going to be done eventually. The artwork is still being prepared at this point. Once we have all our ducks in a row, we're going to run them. I'd say they should likely happen before the end of 2013. Not long now."
Kevin

KEVIN WAYTE
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

---------------------------------------------------

Kevin's response sounded pretty good to me

--ED LI NY

Post edited by E_N_3

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

Not that I heard.

I don't think it is public/official yet, but if you read the response I quoted from CPR, it seem pretty promising that they are coming soon

--ED LI NY

#130 6 years ago

Does any body know if anything on the playfield lights up under blacklight.

#131 6 years ago

I have one but its not working at the moment.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Does any body know if anything on the playfield lights up under blacklight.

Yes, it does have black light responsive art--specifically the green that is used throughout the art and PF. I am in the process of doing my blacklight mod on my TFTC. I recently did my WWFRR, which similarly had blacklight responsive art too; you can do a search on the forum to see the cool results I had with WWFRR. I will post pics of the final result of TFTC when I am done installing the blacklight mod.

--ED LI NY

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I don't think it is public/official yet, but if you read the response I quoted from CPR, it seem pretty promising that they are coming soon
--ED LI NY

Wrote them asking the same thing or permission to make a small run, but no response.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Yes, it does have black light responsive art--specifically the green that is used throughout the art and PF. I am in the process of doing my blacklight mod on my TFTC. I recently did my WWFRR, which similarly had blacklight responsive art too; you can do a search on the forum to see the cool results I had with WWFRR. I will post pics of the final result of TFTC when I am done installing the blacklight mod.
--ED LI NY

Cool! I gotta see what you've done.

#135 6 years ago

What length feet are y'all putting on the back and what pf incline to you have the bubble at?

I wanted to get some additional incline on my TFTC, but there was 2 inch legs at the back - turned full out. I replaced them with 3". After adjusting, even with the 3" turned out max, the incline bubble isn't past 6. It certainly plays better

#136 6 years ago

Got the black light mod installed in to my TFTC. The pics are meh, but it gives the basic idea. The PF has some awesome black light responce art, the green really pops, and looks like neon green "slime." The first pic is GI only, second pic is Black Light (BL) only, and the third is BOTH the GI and BL on. Love how it came out! Doesn't feel out of place, rather, it feels like it should have always been there and feels.
--ED LI NY

image.jpg

#137 6 years ago

That's what I was hoping for. I always thought the Crypt Keepers eyes should have lit up or at least glowed, now he REALLY does look creepy. Now for the next question....what is this BL mod you were talking about? 3-4 bl spots?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's what I was hoping for. I always thought the Crypt Keepers eyes should have lit up or at least glowed, now he REALLY does look creepy. Now for the next question....what is this BL mod you were talking about? 3-4 bl spots?

I agree, it looks super creepy! All of the art throughout the PF looks fantastic with the BL on them.

I ordered led strips with adhesive back. It is about 15 feet in length and comes on a spool. I mount it the the inside walls of the cabinet, just below the glass line, so it is high enough to shine across all areas of the PF. You can cut the strip to fit your needs. I also wired in the dimmer switch the company has that I got the led strips from. The dimmer is nice because you can not only turn the LEDs on and off, but also control the intensity.

#139 6 years ago

Got mine posted for sale in the forum and marketplace, awesome looking machine in great shape! Really like that game but I got a JP as well and they just feel too similar to me, plus the wife and kid love JP and hate TFTC, can't win them all!

Pictures here: http://sdrv.ms/15oA1bx

Forum Post: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ftfs-tftc-super-nice-shape-2500-obo

007.JPG

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Got mine posted for sale in the forum and marketplace, awesome looking machine in great shape! Really like that game but I got a JP as well and they just feel too similar to me, plus the wife and kid love JP and hate TFTC, can't win them all!
Forum Post: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ftfs-tftc-super-nice-shape-2500-obo

Nice looking TFTC, it is going to make some buyer VERY HAPPY! GLWS!
--Ed

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

I agree, it looks super creepy! All of the art throughout the PF looks fantastic with the BL on them.
I ordered led strips with adhesive back. It is about 15 feet in length and comes on a spool. I mount it the the inside walls of the cabinet, just below the glass line, so it is high enough to shine across all areas of the PF. You can cut the strip to fit your needs. I also wired in the dimmer switch the company has that I got the led strips from. The dimmer is nice because you can not only turn the LEDs on and off, but also control the intensity.

The strip doesn't get in the way when you lift the playfield? Got the web address and parts numbers for this? Sounds interesting, I want to check it out.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Got the black light mod installed in to my TFTC. The pics are meh, but it gives the basic idea...

Awesome! I love how this looks with the black light.

I wonder if we can get CPR to include some black light active highlights if/when they repro the plastics.

#143 6 years ago

I wonder if we can get CPR to include some black light active highlights if/when they repro the plastics.

That's a great idea.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The strip doesn't get in the way when you lift the playfield? Got the web address and parts numbers for this? Sounds interesting, I want to check it out.

No, it is exactly enough that the PF can get by them. If they were a hair width thicker, I doubt it would fit...lol. However, I still lift the PF very carefully, and make sure it is centered before lifting and lowering.
I got the items off a seller on eBay. They ship from over seas, but I felt like the savings on price was worth it. The seller also sells a dimmer switch, seperatly, which I bought and used too.
Here is the link to the led package deal. You would just need to buy the dimmer switch seperatly, if you want the dimmer, which I recommend for the few extra bucks it costs.

ebay.com link » 5m Uv Ultraviolet 3528smd 600led Non Waterproof Led Black Light Light Strip Lamp

#145 6 years ago

Awesome! I love how this looks with the black light.

I would be happy enough to have CPR simply release the plastics. The last thing I would want to see is them delay the release, even further that is...lol.
Plus, I think it might be overkill, as there is a good bit of the blacklight responsive art on the PF. I only showed close up of one section, just so everyone could get an idea. Even the shooter lane has the jesponsive art in it.
Also, the BL a also lets some of the plastics look like they are glowing, which is also pretty neat!

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Always thought TFTC is better than JP. Gnr still my favorite DE pin.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Always thought TFTC is better than JP. Gnr still my favorite DE pin.

I'm torn personally I like them both but for once my wife and kid latched onto a game and it was JP so the keeper is getting the shaft.

#148 6 years ago

I've thought about doing the black light thing and I had a friend raise a concern that I couldn't easily argue away. He is concerned that the UV light might accelerate the color fading.

"Ultraviolet rays can break down the chemical bonds and thus fade the color(s) in an object - it is a bleaching effect. Some objects may be more prone to fading, such as dyed textiles and watercolors. Other objects may reflect the light more, which makes them less prone to fade. " -- Library of Congress - Science Reference Services

Source:
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/colors.html

The possible downside outweighed the possible upside by enough to keep me from adding black lights to my TFTC. Food for thought.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

I've thought about doing the black light thing and I had a friend raise a concern that I couldn't easily argue away. He is concerned that the UV light might accelerate the color fading.
"Ultraviolet rays can break down the chemical bonds and thus fade the color(s) in an object - it is a bleaching effect. Some objects may be more prone to fading, such as dyed textiles and watercolors. Other objects may reflect the light more, which makes them less prone to fade. " -- Library of Congress - Science Reference Services
Source:
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/colors.html
The possible downside outweighed the possible upside by enough to keep me from adding black lights to my TFTC. Food for thought.

I read that too, and I do thank you for the heads up.
However, IMHO, for the limited amount of time the game and the black lights are on, I think it will be fined. I mean if it was on all day, day after day, like in a route arcade or something, I think it might be something to worry about. Not to mention, the game was designed with black light paint, thus I figure they anticipate black lights being used around it--also, I have been in plenty of game rooms where the room is flooded with blacklights and all appears fine. With that said, it's just my oppinion, and I guess if I have some sort of minimal paint loss in 30 years, you can tell me "you told me so"

#150 6 years ago

and the amount of UV coming from a 60W light bulb compared to the amount coming from the sun. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rollinsford, NH
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 3553 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 72.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside