Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PF3.jpg
PF2.jpg
PF.jpg
cabinet2.jpg
Wide-Body_Mania.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Trying to figure out which pin I should get. They are both local and relatively close in price and condition. I'm thinking JD because it sounds like a more challenging pin but the gf is all about some TFTC. Are these so far apart that it's apples and oranges? Any suggestions? Pro's/Con's of each?

#2 7 years ago

Get both and sell the first one to get boring!

#3 7 years ago

jd

#4 7 years ago

JD is a widebody, and TFTC is regular size. I only say that because if you are trying to move these yourself, JD is a back breaker with the bigger size and all the wireforms.

JD has four flippers, no pop bumpers, great art and the Deadworld mod. Not the same game if it doesn't have the DW mod on it. Some people love the music, some people tire of it quickly. I was in the latter category with the one I had. Make sure the one you're looking at has the crane plastic intact, as these are either unavailable or insanely stupid in price.

TFTC has cool features like the upside-down ramp, shaker motor, tombstone target, and 3 flippers. Backglass art leaves much to be desired, and the Crypt Keeper's constant cackling may grate on the nerves after a bit. TFTC is a very difficult pin to master. Completing all the modes, and getting to Crypt Jam is an accomplishment!

I launched both of these titles, and if I would consider buying one back it would be JD. I don't think I had mine properly set up for great gameplay, and JD gets a lot of love on the forum.

#5 7 years ago

I got both and love them.
I think I like TFTC a little better. But JD is great too.
I agree buy them both and get rid of the one you don't play as much. Easy to get rid of as they are both not that expensive and both good bang for the buck.

#6 7 years ago

Having owned both I'd give the nod to TFTC, but not by much. Both have a lot of cool features and are pretty humorous.

#7 7 years ago

Wide-Body_Mania.jpgBoth are Cool , but my Vote Goes to JD !!!!!!

Wide-Body_Mania.jpg

#8 7 years ago

I've owned TFTC twice, and have played JD many times. I love JD's theme, but just can't get into the game. My vote goes to TFTC. Gook luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy which ever one you get.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still on the fence.....maybe getting them both really is the only viable option here.

#10 7 years ago

if you can get both, rock it.. otherwise I'd suggest TFTC if you can handle the cackle.

#11 7 years ago

Toss up. I have both. If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said TFTC. I'm currently having a love affair with JD so now that gets my vote. Both are quality games, and both are challenging.

Both have a decent group of modes that all vary enough to keep things interesting. I'd say some of the modes in TFTC can be ignored since they aren't worth much, but JD really rewards you for performing a mode's tasks.

Both have easily attainable multiball. I'd say TFTC has better mb since JD is a little cluttered, and there is just chaos with all those balls.

If you read up on JD some people feel it is a maintenance hog with a ton of optos waiting to fail. I'm not sure if it is any worse than other machines.

JD does have some nice flow, but it can be hard to find the groove sometimes. It is rewarding when you do, but it frustrates me like no other machine when I'm off. I personally wouldn't describe TFTC as a game with much flow. You settle the ball, pick your shot and try to hit it. If you can nail the skinny right ramp consistently you are a better player than I.

Price wise in today's market I think TFTC is usually a couple hundred higher than JD. At least that is what I've seen. If the machines you are looking at are similar quality the TFTC might have more value if priced similarly. Pure speculation though.

#13 7 years ago

Looks like you have a couple Bally/Williams. Try something different. I have many pins and have to say I get much enjoyment out of the TFTC. I don't have a JD but have put some time in on it. Imo the TFTC wins.

#14 7 years ago

TFTC is really fast moving with great flow from John Borg. Lots of tight shots. The ruleset is a bummer a bit but the game is quite fun.

Judge dredd has one of the most interesting layouts but it feels like a chore to play. It feels like the game is fighting you rather than flowing. Really wanted to like this game but just can't.

I say go TFTC.

#15 7 years ago

TFTC is an excellent game, you can't go wrong there.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

maybe getting them both really is the only viable option here.

That is by far the only option, just buying one pinball at a time seems unthinkable!

#17 7 years ago

Trying to figure out which pin I should get. They are both local and relatively close in price and condition. I'm thinking JD because it sounds like a more challenging pin but the gf is all about some TFTC. Are these so far apart that it's apples and oranges? Any suggestions? Pro's/Con's of each?

What condition are the games in? I am looking for a TFTC in great condition locally because it's my first purchase bit let me know about it if you go JD which I have never played and heard is fun as well.

#18 7 years ago

JD can be a chore to play and hard for someone to understand what to do when they first step up to it but it does have some satisfying shots, big ramps, cool ball lock if you have DW mod installed from pinbits and wire form on top of wire form on top of another wire form

My vote goes to JD and owned one for about a year before I sold it to make room.

#19 7 years ago

Well I picked up the JD last night, got it home and put in the gameroom. Haven't set it up yet but this didn't stop me from powering it up and giving it a spin. Man, gotta say, I really think i'm going to like this game, there is a ton of stuff to shoot for. DW mod is installed and pretty friggen cool..6 ball multi?? what type of insanity is this....complete chaos, but thoroughly enjoyable. The music is good and the humor in the call outs are great. Would like to give a big thanks to pinballman100 for holding for a few days till i could come get it, and for the led star posts he put in, they look great. Pin was in better shape than i expected, really is in immaculate condition.
As far as the TFTC goes, I'm still waiting on some more detailed pictures from the seller but from what i can see so far there is a small nick in the cabinet and some decal scraps. If i decide to go and check this out in person what are this pins problem areas? Anything in particular i need to pay attention too?
A quick thanks to all the guys on here who offered up their 2 cents, for someone who is relatively new to this its greatly appreciated.

Wayne

#20 7 years ago

If i decide to go and check this out in person what are this pins problem areas? Anything in particular i need to pay attention too?

Only big thing for me (when I bought mine) would have been the condition of the plastics....pretty hard to find. The drop targets can be a pain sometimes but not too bad, also check the tombstone.

#21 7 years ago

Congrats!

I'm still enjoying my JD after a year or so and only just beat the 4 Dark Judges for the first time last week. I don't have the DW mod installed and hope to one day; waiting on another collector's Pinbits order ...

JD won't be leaving my collection anytime soon.

#22 7 years ago

Check for wear around the scoop hole. Very common problem. Cliffy does make a protector for it though. If you don't buy it, send the info to Jackontherocks please. I know he's been looking for one, and might want it. Help another Pinsider out, if you don't get it. Congrats on the new pin.

#23 7 years ago

Oh yeah, make sure the door handle is all there too and works...those are hard to find too.

#24 7 years ago

Congrats on the JD!

#25 7 years ago

Here are a few of the photos the guy sent me....i know...they are pretty crappy. He was listing it for 2k and came down to 1700. By talking to him you can tell he is absolutely not a pinball guy and probably hasn't ever touch the machine. Machine is probably going to need a thorough shopping, rubber, flipper rebuild ect. I'm thinking in the 1500 range personally. Maybe i'm too low though.

cabinet2.jpg

#26 7 years ago

sorry, not letting me load more than one at a time for some reason.

PF.jpg

#27 7 years ago

and another.....

PF2.jpg

#28 7 years ago

last one...

PF3.jpg

#29 7 years ago

Here are a few of the photos the guy sent me....i know...they are pretty crappy. He was listing it for 2k and came down to 1700. By talking to him you can tell he is absolutely not a pinball guy and probably hasn't ever touch the machine. Machine is probably going to need a thorough shopping, rubber, flipper rebuild ect. I'm thinking in the 1500 range personally. Maybe i'm too low though.

If the playfield is in good shape that price may be very good from what I have seen recently on various prices for this game. Coming down $300 already is great. If anything split the difference and offer $1,600. As far as the west coast we can't even find one close to this price. I started really looking at them the past few months and trying to learn as much as possible. Of course it will depend on the repairs you need to make but seeing it in person is the best. If it is not in too bad of shape and since it's close by to you it just might be the right deal. As for me since my pinball repair skills are about a zero and this is what I have selected for my first pin I am trying to find one already shopped and with LED’s which I know will be priced higher. I have searched and still waiting for one locally but always interested if another great HUO or excellent comes up.

#30 7 years ago

Yeah, I think this is definately one to go see in person. Looks like I might be borrowing the neighbors truck again.....glad i got good neighbors. I think he about dropped a nut the other night when he helped me move the JD into the house...lol. It's pretty slim pickens up here in NH for pins, well at least ones at a decent price, so I guess i better hop on this before it gets scooped up and i'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting it.

#31 7 years ago

I'd offer the $1500, bring $100 bills, and lay them on the table. Bring 2 extra, just in case. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Good luck on your hunt also JoD!

#32 7 years ago

I bought my TFTC and JD on the same trip. Moved the JD in first knowing it would be a nightmare to get in the basement. The TFTC was a breeze by comparison. Can't tell too much from the pics, but it looks like it might be missing the guillotine decals on the drop targets. Make sure the tombstone runs smoothly and lowers all the way, and that the tombstone plastic isn't cracked or damaged. Congrats on the JD. If TFTC joins it you are in for some fun.

#33 7 years ago

Well I picked up the JD last night, got it home and put in the gameroom. Haven't set it up yet but this didn't stop me from powering it up and giving it a spin. Man, gotta say, I really think i'm going to like this game, there is a ton of stuff to shoot for. DW mod is installed and pretty friggen cool..6 ball multi?? what type of insanity is this....complete chaos, but thoroughly enjoyable. The music is good and the humor in the call outs are great.

Add you an X-tra GI in the Left Top to light up the Dark corner .. It Help's !! can see in my video above

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Add you an X-tra GI in the Left Top to light up the Dark corner .. It Help's !! can see in my video above

BR , find me another HUO TFTC please. You did an awesome job with that last one. Too bad I waited too late but did not see the video until midnight.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

BR , find me another HUO TFTC please. You did an awesome job with that last one. Too bad I waited too late but did not see the video until midnight.

Rare finds like that come around Not often ... I'm Alway's on the lOOk out tho ...

#36 7 years ago

I noticed one other pinsider posted the following about this game and wanted to know everyones thoughts that own one as it might change my decision:

For what it's worth, I don't like TFTC much because the two most important shots (Tombstone and start mode hole) need to be hit with the upper flipper. I don't like having the most regular shots being taken from a 3rd or 4th flipper. You CAN hit one of them with the lower flipper, but it's a tough shot. Take that for what it's worth (not much! )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside