Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TFTCmatrix2 (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Decided to try a new post as I feel the problem from the old post was solved and a new problem has arisen. People from the last post were super helpful and I got my drop targets changed and fixed. Everything was working successfully for a bit and now we are having some issues. The first issue we were having is the DMD wasn't working. After leaving it for a while in the on position. Everything turned on and was working for a bit. Now we have an issue where my flipper buttons are activating the crypt part that flings the ball up and the ball launcher will not launch the ball.

So I decided time for a switch test. All of those switches say they are functioning properly in the switch tests. Flippers say the are triggering flippers and the ball launcher registers when depressed.

One thing I noticed is when going to the first screen of diagnostics switch 61 constantly shows. In the manual and in the description shown on the DMD it is labeled as not used. Now in this first diagnostics screen it only shows when a switch is active (like if your drop targets are all lowered) and 61 constantly shows. I'd drop targets are lowered it will cycle through the lowered drop targets and still cycle to 61.

My guess is this switch being active is the root of all these crazy issues, however, the manual only shows the location of the switches that are designated to a specific function and not those that are not.

The strange issues started when the drop target broke really and I can say that when it did break it wedged in the mechanism that houses the targets under the playfield. Anyone have a similar issue or know where for me to start?

#2 1 year ago

You need to look at all the other switches in the same Row and Column as Switch 61. Make sure they are all connected correctly and the diodes on them are good and there are no shorts.

TFTCmatrix2 (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

Lol pardon me for sounding dumb but I just had an "oh that's what that chart means" moment thanks!

2 months later
#4 1 year ago

Bringing back this older thread. I've been doing a lot of work on a TFTC. I now have everything working. I mean every switch and every lamp works as it should. Flippers rebuilt and strong, etc, etc. But I get the same message, Switch 61 not used constantly on. The game works perfectly. Should I just ignore this or try to dig into the issue? Did you solve your similar issue?

#5 1 year ago

One more related question. One of the things I had to fix was to replace the EOS switches which were on totally wrong. I see from the above post that the EOS switches are actually in the switch matrix. Are the EOS switches supposed to have diodes on them? I did not put diodes on them as looking at the manual it appeared they were not supposed to. Also the EOS on my Tommy do not have diodes on them and it works flawlessly.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

One more related question. One of the things I had to fix was to replace the EOS switches which were on totally wrong. I see from the above post that the EOS switches are actually in the switch matrix. Are the EOS switches supposed to have diodes on them? I did not put diodes on them as looking at the manual it appeared they were not supposed to. Also the EOS on my Tommy do not have diodes on them and it works flawlessly.

I think every switch in a switch matrix has to have a diode. I am away from home this weekend so I cannot verify with my games.

#7 1 year ago

i just looked at my tommy and tftc no diodes on eos

#8 1 year ago

OK, thanks. I think it must be due to the fact that the EOS goes through the flipper board on the way to the PDB. Anyone willing to check one more thing? On TFTC, if you are in switch test mode and you manually move the flipper bat up, do you get an EOS switch indicated? I do not.

This game is a Japan re-import so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Like I said, everything is working. No switches indicate multiple or wrong switches in the switch test. I just get a #61 Not Used in the playfield status test.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OK, thanks. I think it must be due to the fact that the EOS goes through the flipper board on the way to the PDB. Anyone willing to check one more thing? On TFTC, if you are in switch test mode and you manually move the flipper bat up, do you get an EOS switch indicated? I do not.
This game is a Japan re-import so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Like I said, everything is working. No switches indicate multiple or wrong switches in the switch test. I just get a #61 Not Used in the playfield status test.

It's apparently not uncommon for the EOS switches to be bypassed (the 2 wires going to the switch spliced together). The flippers should function properly without the eos switches afaik.

4 weeks later
#10 11 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Bringing back this older thread. I've been doing a lot of work on a TFTC. I now have everything working. I mean every switch and every lamp works as it should. Flippers rebuilt and strong, etc, etc. But I get the same message, Switch 61 not used constantly on. The game works perfectly. Should I just ignore this or try to dig into the issue? Did you solve your similar issue?

I am still having issues with my TFTC. I just replaced the bridge rectifier because it was looking a bit weak in the negatives and the new one reads perfect but same issues. Only difference is is now everything that was acting up seems to be much stronger so that rectifier was definitely an issue or going to become one soon I am sure. Also looking at the boards that came with the game, all of them look brand new except the one which I had to replace the bridge rectifier. Still the same issue with switch 61. Still not flipper or plunger action. Still no playable game.

#11 11 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You need to look at all the other switches in the same Row and Column as Switch 61. Make sure they are all connected correctly and the diodes on them are good and there are no shorts.

With game off, disconnect CN8 and CN10 from the cpu board (the big board to the right of the power supply board)

Turn game on. Still get the switch 61 message?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Elkhart, IN
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside