Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200210_221748 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_222006 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221809 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221937 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221901 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I've recently got my first Pin, a TFTC machine. The machine plays excellent but I'm tearing it down to clean up wireforms, weld some broken tabs etc.. and wondering if I should go all the way and just get it cleared while I'm at it. After doing a lot of reading about the topic there's a lot of arguments to clear or not to clear. Being new to this, I'm not sure how much is considered significant wear and how much isn't. See the attached pictures,

The art is starting to crack around the edges of many inserts and they've lifted enough that you can feel a slight ridge, plus wear on the holes and near the launcher. I've also got some temporary repairs to the playfield from previous owners putting screws through the playfield that I could do a good job on and clear over.

I know it's ultimately my choice but I'd like to see the opinions on whether I should just clean it up and put it back together and leave the playfield alone or not.

TLDR: Playfield has some wear, see pictures, should I do repairs and reclear...

IMG_20200210_221748 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221748 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221809 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221809 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221901 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221901 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_222006 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_222006 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Yours has some cracks and stuff going on in the paint. If you love the game. I'd have a pro do it.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I think the playfield could benefit from it but are you prepared for the amount of work involved? At minimum the top needs to be completely stripped and if you're sending it to a pro they will want the bottom stripped as well. You may be better off to just do teardown, cleaning and waxing. Then enjoy your game.

#4 4 years ago

It's your first machine, so I'm making an assumption you are new to pinball in general. If so, you shouldn't worry about it right now.

As mentioned above, give it a good cleaning and play it for a while. Based on the pics, you will probably find many little things to fix and adjust over the next few weeks or months.

Wait until you are committed to pinball as a hobby and learn how to do things right. You'll learn the cost and value of different restoration approaches and you should make your decision when you understand what's really involved. Read these:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/

Besides its your only machine. What are you going to play while this one is torn down for the pf? Most people's first step when buying their first pinball machine is buying a second pinball machine

GL!

#5 4 years ago

Having your PF cleared is a much much bigger endeavor than tearing the top side down and cleaning it. Both in price and work. All those flaws you're seeing are pretty normal for a game its age. You can play it as is perfectly fine and not worry too much. Chasing perfection is a dangerous thing. My recommendation is if you have the top side torn down then order yourself a play field protector. It will level out those inserts and keep the game playing really nice. Now, there will be some people who want to naysay the protectors, they say they make the game play funny, ect. I think they're all crazy. I have one in my HS2 and my HH and they both play better than they ever have in my time owning them. Plus its much cheaper and easier than doing a clearcoat job.

#6 4 years ago

I'll probably take the advice to just enjoy the machine as is for now, aside from the more major problems that I can easily handle such as welds, cleaning or cabinet touch ups. As time goes on I'll try and fix whatever I can one thing at a time, I was just just getting ahead of myself thinking I should do everything in one go right out the gate. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

#7 4 years ago

Play it. Enjoy it. These games were meant to be played not examined with a magnifying glass. Game looks to have normal amount of wear. You will not make the investment of time and money back if you clear it and then sell.

Great game you have! I love TFTC!

#8 4 years ago

Don’t... I’m going through that pain right now. It hurts.

I’m doing an autopsy to see what makes these things tick. Lots of screws, apparently. Lots of little tiny things.

#9 4 years ago

not worth clearing, shop it out real good and play it.

#10 4 years ago

Do a teardown - clean everything well, then buy an effective, yet inexpensive playfield protector - and be done....having the PF restored is always a worthwhile endeavor - but can be costly and/or difficult to do by oneself.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 64.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-does-it-need-to-be-re-cleared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.