Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by QuietEarp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200210_221748 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_222006 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221809 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221937 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200210_221901 (resized).jpg

#1 4 days ago

I've recently got my first Pin, a TFTC machine. The machine plays excellent but I'm tearing it down to clean up wireforms, weld some broken tabs etc.. and wondering if I should go all the way and just get it cleared while I'm at it. After doing a lot of reading about the topic there's a lot of arguments to clear or not to clear. Being new to this, I'm not sure how much is considered significant wear and how much isn't. See the attached pictures,

The art is starting to crack around the edges of many inserts and they've lifted enough that you can feel a slight ridge, plus wear on the holes and near the launcher. I've also got some temporary repairs to the playfield from previous owners putting screws through the playfield that I could do a good job on and clear over.

I know it's ultimately my choice but I'd like to see the opinions on whether I should just clean it up and put it back together and leave the playfield alone or not.

TLDR: Playfield has some wear, see pictures, should I do repairs and reclear...

IMG_20200210_221748 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221809 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221901 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_221937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200210_222006 (resized).jpg
#2 4 days ago

Yours has some cracks and stuff going on in the paint. If you love the game. I'd have a pro do it.

LTG : )

#3 4 days ago

I think the playfield could benefit from it but are you prepared for the amount of work involved? At minimum the top needs to be completely stripped and if you're sending it to a pro they will want the bottom stripped as well. You may be better off to just do teardown, cleaning and waxing. Then enjoy your game.

#4 4 days ago

It's your first machine, so I'm making an assumption you are new to pinball in general. If so, you shouldn't worry about it right now.

As mentioned above, give it a good cleaning and play it for a while. Based on the pics, you will probably find many little things to fix and adjust over the next few weeks or months.

Wait until you are committed to pinball as a hobby and learn how to do things right. You'll learn the cost and value of different restoration approaches and you should make your decision when you understand what's really involved. Read these:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/

Besides its your only machine. What are you going to play while this one is torn down for the pf? Most people's first step when buying their first pinball machine is buying a second pinball machine

GL!

#5 4 days ago

Having your PF cleared is a much much bigger endeavor than tearing the top side down and cleaning it. Both in price and work. All those flaws you're seeing are pretty normal for a game its age. You can play it as is perfectly fine and not worry too much. Chasing perfection is a dangerous thing. My recommendation is if you have the top side torn down then order yourself a play field protector. It will level out those inserts and keep the game playing really nice. Now, there will be some people who want to naysay the protectors, they say they make the game play funny, ect. I think they're all crazy. I have one in my HS2 and my HH and they both play better than they ever have in my time owning them. Plus its much cheaper and easier than doing a clearcoat job.

#6 3 days ago

I'll probably take the advice to just enjoy the machine as is for now, aside from the more major problems that I can easily handle such as welds, cleaning or cabinet touch ups. As time goes on I'll try and fix whatever I can one thing at a time, I was just just getting ahead of myself thinking I should do everything in one go right out the gate. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice.

#7 3 days ago

Play it. Enjoy it. These games were meant to be played not examined with a magnifying glass. Game looks to have normal amount of wear. You will not make the investment of time and money back if you clear it and then sell.

Great game you have! I love TFTC!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,625 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Clair Shores, MI
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside