Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Kisco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

In my TftC four of the flashers will not work at all, those being with the wire black/orange to orange. I have removed the connector and placed it back, as I do with everything, and it didn't fix it this time... Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Note: If you find the manual anywhere for the wire schematic - it is on page 64

FIX: One of the sandstone resistors was loose at a solder join, re-soldered and now working again!

Quoted from viperrwk:

As long as the duck flasher and the drop target on the playfield are both working, then Kris nailed the problem. Check the middle connector on the right - the black/green wire is the one that goes to the right firework flasher. Check R5 on the board (fifth resistor down from the top) to make sure it is attached. Also check it with your new meter <g> - it is a 4 ohm 5W resistor.
viperrwk
https://i1.pinside.com/a/f4/af4015d7a6e8159fe2e43111af6f7e0ea08e6635/resized/512/af4015d7a6e8159fe2e43111af6f7e0ea08e6635.jpg

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Kisco:

In my TftC four of the flashers will not work at all, those being with the wire black/orange to orange. I have removed the connector and placed it back, as I do with everything, and it didn't fix it this time... Any recommendations on how to fix this?
Note: If you find the manual anywhere for the wire schematic - it is on page 64

You say "this time" - do you mean the flashers went bad before and moving the connector fixed those exact flashers? If so, the connector probably needs to be repinned and/or solder reflowed.

Otherwise it sounds like a loose or broken wire, or a bad transistor.

Have you:
checked fuses
replaced one of the bad flasher bulbs with a known good bulb
checked for power at the flasher socket with a DMM
checked continuity on the flasher wires from connector all the way down the line to see if there is a short or loose wire
checked transistors driving the flashers

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

You say "this time" - do you mean the flashers went bad before and moving the connector fixed those exact flashers? If so, the connector probably needs to be repinned and/or solder reflowed.
Otherwise it sounds like a loose or broken wire, or a bad transistor.
Have you:
checked fuses
replaced one of the bad flasher bulbs with a known good bulb
checked for power at the flasher socket with a DMM
checked continuity on the flasher wires from connector all the way down the line to see if there is a short or loose wire
checked transistors driving the flashers

I say "this time" because it works on other machines

Checklist:
☒ - checked fuses - does each "row" of flashers have their own fuse? If this is true then I can google where they are located. Only the black/orange wire is the issue
☑ - replaced one of the bad flasher bulbs with a known good bulb
☒ - checked for power at the flasher socket with a DMM - Will google how to do this
☑ - checked continuity on the flasher wires from connector all the way down the line to see if there is a short or loose wire - took out all the flashers and tested the line and worked (didnt try it from the connector, just from the farthest bulb will check again didnt see signs of burning)
☒ - checked transistors driving the flashers - Didnt want to do any board work - not sure how to check this stuff

If you could answer my question on the fuses while I check from the connector that would be awesome.

#4 5 years ago

Connector is good

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Kisco:

I say "this time" because it works on other machines
Checklist:
☒ - checked fuses - does each "row" of flashers have their own fuse? If this is true then I can google where they are located. Only the black/orange wire is the issue

Probably not but I don’t know. There may be a card in the backbox that says. Otherwise look in the manual.

Quoted from Kisco:

☒ - checked transistors driving the flashers - Didnt want to do any board work - not sure how to check this stuff
If you could answer my question on the fuses while I check from the connector that would be awesome.

If there is power to the socket and there is continuity on both wires from the flasher to the connector it’s probably a transistor.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Probably not but I don’t know. There may be a card in the backbox that says. Otherwise look in the manual.

If there is power to the socket and there is continuity on both wires from the flasher to the connector it’s probably a transistor.

Alright because all but these four flashers work im going to say that the fuses are good.

When I place a working bulb in the socket it doesn't turn on at all.

Is there somewhere else that could be an issue?

#7 5 years ago

One of the sandstone resistor is loose, going to take it off and see!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Kisco:

Alright because all but these four flashers work im going to say that the fuses are good.
When I place a working bulb in the socket it doesn't turn on at all.
Is there somewhere else that could be an issue?

If you have continuity from all the flasher sockets to the connector at the board, and power at all flasher sockets it /has/ to be upstream. That would likely mean a transistor or a pre-driver.

Quoted from Kisco:

One of the sandstone resistor is loose, going to take it off and see!

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

On system 11 games (which this is /not/), you have to either cut certain resistors or cut ground to a certain board to use LED flashers, because the resistors. I don't know if these Data East machines are similar. Otherwise that resistor isn't optional.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

If you have continuity from all the flasher sockets to the connector at the board, and power at all flasher sockets it /has/ to be upstream. That would likely mean a transistor or a pre-driver.

I'm not sure that's a good idea.
On system 11 games (which this is /not/), you have to either cut certain resistors or cut ground to a certain board to use LED flashers, because the resistors. I don't know if these Data East machines are similar. Otherwise that resistor isn't optional.

i mean the board, I think the solder is loose.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Kisco:

i mean the board, I think the solder is loose.

That could possibly be it. If you're not comfortable with board repairs, you should send it out to a pro if you don't have one local. They can check the rest of the board while they have it.

#11 5 years ago

Re-soldered and it now works!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 18.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 18.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-4-flashers-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.