(Topic ID: 14511)

TFLE does anybody like this game?

By DCfoodfreak

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Wow, between several forums I just keep seeing folks selling them and bashing them. I liked the game when I played it. Theme is cool. So why all the bashing?

#2 12 years ago

I like it. Not for 7 grand. But if anyone needs me to haul one away for them, I will gladly oblige

#3 12 years ago

I liked it just fine. I'd like to have one... some day.

#4 12 years ago

Stern is getting into a territory where the cost of games is going to be heavily scrutinized. Once they started climbing above the $4000 range for NIB, people started questioning their "value". Also, TF advertised certain features that just didn't make it into production (like QR codes).

TF is a really fun game, but is it 4500+ fun? That is the question. The corner Stern has painted themselves into is that they acknowledge the home market is where there money is, and have upcharged handsomely in the last couple of years to cater to the home market, but have not got certain things right that the home market is looking for (and will be picky about). Take a look at the cabinet decals on TF, and see the number of application issues they have, or take a look at all the "fixes" the home users are having to do to NIB games. These are things that make that 5500+ "investment" (because a lot of the collectors don't want to lose their shirt on a game) look like it wasn't the wisest of decisions.

TF is a GREAT game, but for me, TF is a great game at about $3300-3500.

#5 12 years ago

Game is awesome. Some promises were made by GG and not delivered. Made a bunch of folks mad.

#6 12 years ago

I have to agree, I really like TF LE, one of the best Sterns ever made perhaps, VERY great playing, wonderful design and rules, great artwork, everything well done! About the only thing I did not like about it was the price. I just cannot see what is so special about it to command 7k, besides the low production numbers, collectors plaque and custom paint jobs. Just nothing to make my head spin so to speak. Love TF LE and would love to own one someday, really need more time on it! I hope Stern continues to push the bar with every machine they build, love what I am seeing thus far.

#7 12 years ago

I like it as well, but the cost of the top LE models is too high in comparison to older well established titles for me to buy one now. I'm a big TF fan ( cartoon series not the films ). I'm going to get one down the road but there are other games I'd rather have at the moment.

#8 12 years ago

Not sure about the $7,000 price. LE's can be had for $5600 nib. It's a great game.

#9 12 years ago

Dont get me started lol.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Dont get me started lol.

Ben, as long as you are posting in a constructive way, and not your alter ego "TheJesus", I am sure your input would be well received....

#11 12 years ago

*shakes head* i pretty much said it all on rgp. People cant handle the truth on pinside Game is GRETA!

NO but really there is so much bad blood on this title. Second hand owners are spared this, lucky for them. Its not the "Game" so to speak that is the issue. It however is the mile long list of empty promises and lies we where all told. Major defects including but not limited too clear coat issues, decal issues, software issues, hardware (Mechs) issues, GG gomez signature that seems to be all over the map , LE faction specific games shipping with no signature plates ( After all a faction games is lots more for just a plate and trans lite. )

Lots of stuff fixed/ addressed but lots of bad blood. QR codes not implemented because Gomez didnt have Hasbro's approval to add them. Thankfully you second hand owners will prob get a deal and not have any of these headaches. But alot of the nib guys got pissed off for good reason.

#12 12 years ago

Pinside has a different vibe for sure, but constructive criticism is well received here it seems... I think it is when it goes into "rant mode" is when it starts to get a little ugly around here. I am guessing the start of this post is because someone has already read your RGP post....

#13 12 years ago

I have a little over a hundred plays on my Combo LE, so I think I can provide some fair thoughts now. First, I'm still running s/w 1.4 and have installed the kit from Stern that stopped the ball launches into the glass and included good flipper rubbers. I like it and I'm playing it a lot lately and don't see it leaving my collection anytime soon. It has a lot of that "one more game" draw. I don't love it though, so let's start with my three biggest gripes before getting into the good: (1) Half the time my Ironhide playfield is running without my ball in it because so many shots only go half in, yet still activate it (2) As with most people, I'd like to see OP multiball progress save. (3) What's up with 10 or 11 shots being required for the modes? Bumblebee and Mudflap/Skids, I get, but what does such a high number of shots equate to other than repetition? Does the number mean something, like how many other robots they've fought, kind of like when Optimus rattles off all of the Decepticons he's battled?

Now the good. This is a beautiful game and extremely well lit. It's got great call outs and lots of speed. Being able to play it two different ways (Autobots or Decepticons), is very refreshing. Megatron really pumps the balls out and they don't all go SDTM, so cudos to the designer of that contraption. Yes, it's a fan layout, but nicely done and the integrated shaker makes it feel like a very substantial machine. They captured the Starscream, Blackout, and Rachet sounds nicely. I still need to upload the latest s/w, hopefully that will make it even better.

#14 12 years ago

Appreciate it. I was really looking for the positives as I have clearly read the negatives ; )
    Luckily its not a 7k pin NIB. At least not when you have JJ at gexchange to work with. Also I like the theme and know the kids would love this machine. Especially after seeing it and playing it. Great light show and sounds and just feels like a great machine for family fun.
    I could buy a classic title for the dough and while I will like it, I also know the kids just won't be in to it.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Appreciate it. I was really looking for the positives as I have clearly read the negatives ; )
    Luckily its not a 7k pin NIB. At least not when you have JJ at gexchange to work with. Also I like the theme and know the kids would love this machine. Especially after seeing it and playing it. Great light show and sounds and just feels like a great machine for family fun.
    I could buy a classic title for the dough and while I will like it, I also know the kids just won't be in to it.

Just make sure when you get it you look it over with a fine tooth comb. I know you will be excited for nib we all are. But make note of all the edges of the decals. Mine where installed really bad and they hung about a 1/16th past the cab all along the sides/bottom. When i grabbed it the first time the decal tore upwards right into the main cabinet. Look over your clear coat. Many people besides me have no or botched clear in the shooter lane and between the slings.

Also be aware outside of bug fixes the software is done. The rom is maxed out. Only way to ever add things outside of bug fixes is to remove stuff...hence the Soundwave debacle.

Good luck and happy flipping.

The game is fun!

#16 12 years ago

I think TFs LE and Pro are great games. I really enjoy playing my LE.
    I know someone that has a few Decepticon and Autobot LEs still NIB for sale at a great price. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll put you in touch with them.

#17 12 years ago

Game is jam packed. 10 modes with with at least 10 shots per mode. That's over a hundred different audio and video clips alone. That's not even counting MB.

Working your PF and EOB bonuses is a big part of the game considering its played by rollover lanes and in/out lanes. If you pay close attention to it it's very lucritive.

If you love stacking there is plenty of this to be had. I try to work towards Bumblebee double scoring before I start any MB. The Ironhide super modes are best stacked with 2x scoring and or Fast scoring. And if your lucky or really good you can have 2X scoring, Fast scoring, Super spinner, Super pops, All PF X's, Mudflap and Skids and Optimus Prime MB running together in a DMD busting scoring Frenzy!

It's a great game!!!

#18 12 years ago

Dude TFLE is a great game. But from an owners standpoint I was a bit disappointed in gomez's team. Fine the QR codes failed, fine there were a few design flaws; but make up for some of that stuff by fine tuning the code. I think a lot of us owners, self included, felt for a 6k game, that a powerpack software update would have been more power packed.

There's a bunch of little things that the game could still use that would not take up much memory like:
    -show total combos and highest combo to a players' end score
    -add combos and info to well...instant info
    -add an option for mb memory progression

Those are just a few things that would fine tune the code just enough and take up hardly any memory to the rom.

Besides that I posted some videos here displaying the fast flow of TFLE. It's a really fun game. Oh, it became even better when I dismantled gomezs control gate on IH. Physically speaking, that toy was my only pet peeve on the game. But not so anymore.

#19 12 years ago

I *wanted* to like it, as it looks great and I like the theme. But when I played one it just didn't click for me like other (better) games (Tron). Instead it felt like (yet) another Gomez MB rehash which I already have, so I passed.

Edit: I liked it enough to play in the wild, but not enough to buy one

#20 12 years ago

I played the Pro at Jenkinson's in NJ. It was set up next to an AC/DC Pro.

I think it's a pretty good game. I am not a fan of the theme, but enjoyed it more than AC/DC Pro which was very surprising to me. In fairness, I only played two games on each.

#21 12 years ago

I own an LE and love it, but is it worth the initial price? I don't think so, I see it more as a 5k game and I am just being honest.

#22 12 years ago

I don't judge machines based on their price. I enjoyed the TFLE the handful of times I have played it.

#23 12 years ago

I don't think the toys on the LE version are worth the extra price. I do not know how much the extra money is actually, but whatever it is it isn't worth it.
    The left ramp is just a big ugly looking toy that "can" move sometimes, which doesn't excite me at all.
    The right ramp mini playfield is pretty weak IMO.
    The drop target is no fun and cranks the balls all sorts of places.
    I don't know what else is extra....although I bleieve the LE has a metal guide over bumblebee to push the ball in a more coheirent way to the flippers when hitting Optimus Prime. So ytou've got that, and 2 extra "events" the pro doesn't have (mini playfield, starscream hurry up).

EDIT: Overall, I am becoming bored with the game (I do not own it though). There are basically 5 shots in the modes that you have to hit over and over. Then you have to hit 3-4 shots to start a mode. Then like 10 shots to complete a mode. So I'm bad at math...so average 13 shots a mode, 8 modes, over 120 shots to wizard mode. That's very light estimate as it does not include megatron/optimus multiball shots you have to hit to complete...which is at least 10 a piece?.

I understand having a hard game, that doesn't scare me, it just gets so tedious after awhile. I was really into this game and enjoying it a lot....but it wears you down & out at a certain point.

So (5.5?) grand? Man that's a hefty hefty price. I think you could get a ton more with that cash.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think the toys on the LE version are worth the extra price. I do not know how much the extra money is actually, but whatever it is it isn't worth it.
    The left ramp is just a big ugly looking toy that "can" move sometimes, which doesn't excite me at all.
    The right ramp mini playfield is pretty weak IMO.
    The drop target is no fun and cranks the balls all sorts of places.
    I don't know what else is extra....although I bleieve the LE has a metal guide over bumblebee to push the ball in a more coheirent way to the flippers when hitting Optimus Prime. So ytou've got that, and 2 extra "events" the pro doesn't have (mini playfield, starscream hurry up).
    EDIT: Overall, I am becoming bored with the game (I do not own it though). There are basically 5 shots in the modes that you have to hit over and over. Then you have to hit 3-4 shots to start a mode. Then like 10 shots to complete a mode. So I'm bad at math...so average 13 shots a mode, 8 modes, over 120 shots to wizard mode. That's very light estimate as it does not include megatron/optimus multiball shots you have to hit to complete...which is at least 10 a piece?.
    I understand having a hard game, that doesn't scare me, it just gets so tedious after awhile. I was really into this game and enjoying it a lot....but it wears you down & out at a certain point.
    So (5.5?) grand? Man that's a hefty hefty price. I think you could get a ton more with that cash.

You forgot about the 300 missed shots that you had. : ) My job is tedious too but damn I love pay day!

#25 12 years ago

haha of course the missed shots...I didn't even want to mention or remember them!

#26 12 years ago

The LE features are awesome. The Megatron drop target is great and keeps the action going nonstop during certain multiballs. The starscream is a cool addition and is very satisfying and rewarding (EB) to hit. The additional control gate for orbit shots is huge, allowing more action and better flow. That leaves us with IH...yea its pretty weak until I discovered there are settings that allow you to remove the control gate and set it up to be kick ass! Stacks with modes, doesn't stop the flow of the game, keeps you on your toes, and has a more risk/reward factor. It's great!

#27 12 years ago

I seem to remember a game that had three multiballs and after you got all three you had to destroy something but if you couldn't destroy it you had to play all three multiballs again. Fuck that game is tedious.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snowdale:

I seem to remember a game that had three multiballs ...

Ouch. Yeah hankfully TF keeps the shots you made in modes. If not it would be impossible. There's an EB on the starscream ramp? Is it at a cetain number of hurry ups or something? That would be cool.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

The LE features are awesome. The Megatron drop target is great and keeps the action going nonstop during certain multiballs. The starscream is a cool addition and is very satisfying and rewarding (EB) to hit. The additional control gate for orbit shots is huge, allowing more action and better flow. That leaves us with IH...yea its pretty weak until I discovered there are settings that allow you to remove the control gate and set it up to be kick ass! Stacks with modes, doesn't stop the flow of the game, keeps you on your toes, and has a more risk/reward factor. It's great!

I'm debating doing this. I'm worried the active flippers during IH will become annoying. It's also a lot of extra flips. Rebuild will come much sooner than needed. Do you max the timer for IH scoring.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Snowdale said:I seem to remember a game that had three multiballs ...
    Ouch. Yeah hankfully TF keeps the shots you made in modes. If not it would be impossible. There's an EB on the starscream ramp? Is it at a cetain number of hurry ups or something? That would be cool.

Three hits to the target behind him awards an EB.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snowdale:

Three hits to the target behind him awards an EB.

Ah thanks.

I have said this before when talking about these versions...i don;t know if it's juts mental but the LE version right ramp seems A LOT easier to hit than the pro. A LOT.

#32 12 years ago

I was recently at the PHOF in Las Vegas and I played the TFLE combo a ton when I was there and enjoyed it. Lots of modes, great flow, great sounds and dmd animations. I did have a few issues with the game, the biggest was the number of ball hang-ups. It seems like I was always having to nudge the game to shake the ball loose from somewhere. It also had some problems with the Megatron ball trough where I would have to wait for a ball search for it to kick the ball out and also had problems with Optimus registering shots (even solid ones). The game was still a ton of fun and kept me coming back for more! With that being said, there's no way the game should be priced at $6K or more. If Stern were to release a quality game like this as the Pro model I would be tempted to buy. Even with the LE Features the game still has less on it than a TSPP which sold for around $4K just a few years ago. So in summary, I do really like the game. I just think it's vastly overpriced.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snowdale:

Eskaybee said:The LE features are awesome. The Megatron drop target is great and keeps the action going nonstop during certain multiballs. The starscream is a cool addition and is very satisfying and rewarding (EB) to hit. The additional control gate for orbit shots is huge, allowing more action and better flow. That leaves us with IH...yea its pretty weak until I discovered there are settings that allow you to remove the control gate and set it up to be kick ass! Stacks with modes, doesn't stop the flow of the game, keeps you on your toes, and has a more risk/reward factor. It's great!
    I'm debating doing this. I'm worried the active flippers during IH will become annoying. It's also a lot of extra flips. Rebuild will come much sooner than needed. Do you max the timer for IH scoring.

yes, the biggest con to doing this is the active flippers and can be somewhat annoying if there are no other active modes.
    Yes, I maximized the timer.

#34 12 years ago

I LOVE mine, I am a Decepticon, keeper for me. I will say I owned a pro as well and it is very good!

#35 12 years ago

I loved playing TF LE and it is on my wishlist too,I just need some greenbacks.

#36 12 years ago

(Flame Suit On)
    For me personally I thought the modes seemed all the same to me. Shoot the triangles. I grew bored of my LE and sold it off a few months later.

(the decal issues amongst other things also bugged me)

I was happy to move it on to a great new home and he LOVES it

Different Strokes for Different Folks

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

(Flame Suit On)
    For me personally I thought the modes seemed all the same to me. Shoot the triangles. I grew

And that's my problem, I think it might be overly DMD dependant. Maybe there is cool animations going on up there, but it's too fast for me too look up there. So basically you are looking at a set of flashing arrows again & again & again, rinse, repeat.

#38 12 years ago

I played a few games on Transformers pinball machine at Tx Pinball Fest and enjoyed it. To me the sounds are not annoying. I suppose the lastability wears off a bit after a while if you own one. Lighting is great, artwork colors are fine. I'd be happy to have one at a reasonable price.

#39 12 years ago

not needed on Pinside fattrain perhaps you can sell it on C-list
    welcome to forum

#40 12 years ago

Great game a keeper in my collection

#41 12 years ago

I think the layout sucks, if you're a decent player, you almost hit a ramp or orbit or scoop on every shot. It does sound and look cool, but compared to Tron, Spiderman, Ironman, etc, it sucks.

#42 12 years ago

Absolute superb fast game, plan to keep in collection for a long time TF-Autobots. I still believe most people posting neg. comments about the machine have never played one, but just like to Stern bash....Any sensible player can easily find much to like in this machine.

p

#43 12 years ago

I picked up a NIB Auto Bot no where near 7K. ( I also can recommend some one to get one from with a PM). The game is intense especially the multi balls. Very good looking. Good players will struggle with making 10 shots for a mode but it seems to be a game all can enjoy. I installed the latest 1.5 code and can definitely see a difference over the 1.0 that came with the game in the box. I have about 100 games in so far (power pack installed) with no problems so far. Do not pay list price and I think you will be very happy.

#44 12 years ago

All you guys who have TF currently and Love it.... How are your decals holding up??

Mine got thrashed at the legs with lots of wrinkling pretty damn fast.

However, Stern did agree to send out a completely new set of cab decals which was great... but I don't feel that brand new games should have these problems...

Obviously it was a design flaw and they could have made the decals thicker and/or cut them at the legs in a different fashion but I know of lots of people with wrinkled decals.

Is AC/DC Decals as well??

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

All you guys who have TF currently and Love it.... How are your decals holding up??

No issues with mine they look perfect

#46 12 years ago

Decals perfectly fine with my machine. I did, however, use foam protectors under the legs so the legs would not bite into the wood/decals.

p

#47 12 years ago

No problems with mine either.....and by the way, love it! Keeps you coming back for another game.

#48 12 years ago

Yes, but die cut back so no problem.

#49 12 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Yes, but die cut back so no problem.

What do you mean by die cut back?

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

What do you mean by die cut back

I thought I read somewhere that Stern has learned a lot from the decal process of Transformers and they are taking steps to reduce tearing and rippling- like cutting notches/grooves where the legs meet the cabinet....

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tfle-does-anybody-like-this-game?tu= and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.