(Topic ID: 43776)

Texas Pinball Festival tournament disaster and how to prevent it in the future

By concernedplayer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    TPF_13b.PNG
    TPF_2013a.PNG
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Modern was Wizard of Oz and AC/DC Premium. Another tourney used Avengers LE. The kids tourney was Avengers Pro. The EM tourney used King of Diamonds Fireball and a few others. Also Superman was used for one as well. There were more but my memory is not that great.

- A unfinished and untested game (woz)
    - A great game that CAN play long (acdc)
    - A horrible tournament game (avengers)

Thank goodness there wasn't a few CSIs.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Tournaments often run late. That's just part of the deal. They list the times when qualifying starts and ends, and when the playoffs start, but you won't get a finishing time. Different shows and different tournament directors are better than others. If you're not a night person, do your homework beforehand so that you know what to expect. If you expect a tournament to run late, you won't get annoyed when it happens.
    5am is ridiculous though. If a tournament isn't close to finishing by midnight, I'm going to want to stop and start over the next day. The players shouldn't have allowed this to happen.

This is why we changed Louisville finals to be on Sunday this year, because we played until 5:30am last year.

There are many contributing problems:

-Extended qualifying - A tournament director that allows someone to show up with 5 minutes to go in qualifying with 10+ qualifying tickets and allows them to play them all -- should never run a tournament again.
    -Long playing games - Before finals, tournaments need to "fix" the long playing games. We didn't do this at Louisville this year and it effected us in classics (Starlight, the never ending game!) and in main division (Pirates). Luckily, we budgeted alot of extra time and it didn't hurt us like the previous tournament director did the year before, but we'll correct it for next year.
    -Waiting for players - We all know when we start, if you are not there we plunge your ball.

There is no need for tournaments to run late, we just need to use some common sense and stick to well defined rules and it usually works out.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrebel:

2) yes we used Woz for a tourney game. I did not learn till after qualifying was well under way that is had a programming issue that allowed player two to steal player one features. This will be fixed in a code update of course. We wanted to have the latest game and such is life.

I for the life of me understand why WOZ was picked as a tournament game. Even if the code was magically 100% done, why chance using it until it's been proven? It's the same mentality as buying a brand new car that is of new design.

Honestly -- I just don't get it.

3) our Avengers all needed factory fixes to prevent ball hangs. Even with these installed we still had serious issues with ball traps which again slowed everything down. This game had super long ball times for top players. B and c division were not as bad but A players were cracking 100mil pretty regularly.

Same goes for Avengers. It's already been used in a few tournaments and the game's reception has been overwhelming negative all around.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I don't know. The year before (when I ran it) it was 75%. The 25% actually did not even cover the room rental, we later learned, so no one was profiting, just offsetting some of the costs.
    However, for the record I have no problem with anyone making a profit off a pinball tournament, in fact, I wish they would. People don't run the PGA or World Series of Poker out of the kindness of their hearts and if competitive pinball wants to get to the next level, people will need to get paid.
    Likewise, competitors can easily spend 1k on a flight, hotel and entries for a tournament, and they expect a professional job, and yet these events are wholly run by volunteers (who often get treated like crap, btw). The scale of these events and peoples' expectations are steadily diverging from what's possible given it's all volunteer-run.

It's a catch-22. If the tournament profits and offers low payouts, then less people play, especially out of towners, which typically dump more into the tournament.

This is why I don't mind if the tournament organizers and volunteers also play in a tournament. It's completely unfair to expect high or 100% payouts and not let those people play for the time and energy that they put into running it.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrebel:

TPF tourneys actually must help support other show costs. Venue, etc. that hasn't always been popular with everyone. That topic has been beat to death in other venues that cater more to players.

What other show costs? (feel free to point to another pinside/rgp thread)

Note: I have no problem with shows keeping some money, especially if the show and it's organizers setup and run the tournament. I never expect anyone to give up all their time and never see some return. Just curious.

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Nothing. But again, who is out there that wants to do it?

There are many players that usually step up and help with tournaments, but I do know in years past you didn't want players to help and play in the same tournament -- the exception was clock chaos.

I know that in 2010 and 2011 I asked if you wanted help and you said you didn't like the idea of those playing also helping -- which is fine by me. I know the Sharpes helped some in 2011, but it was not that much compared to others they've been at.

I haven't heard of many shows having "professionals" ready to step up. If you're out there, send me your demands, or heck - offer to help this year.

Seriously? How many tournaments and shows do you attend each year?

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Adam Lefkoff has some slick software that I have used many times and is perfect for Herb format qualifiers. The configuration is a little more complicated and I'm not sure if he intends it for public distro.

Adam's software works great, but can be a little challenging to setup at first, but he provides a nice detailed PDF on how to configure everything.

We used it at Louisville with zero issues.

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

My software will be ready for public consumption too in the coming months. I generally don't toot my own horn, but I thought it went very well at INDISC (http://www.iepinball.com/neverdrains/2013standings/) and received a number of thanks and compliments from various people for it. Web-based system with mobile scorekeeping (iPod/iPad/Android/WHATEVER). Zero paper, instant score postings, less frustrations, etc. More hardware/software requirements than anything else though so setup is trickier.

Yup, Karl's software worked great as well.

#140 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Boo! CSI is a great tournament game!

If you enjoy punishing people

#160 11 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

I haven't used a Pi before, but I don't know if it'd be powerful enough. At INDISC I was running off of an i3-3225 which was peaking around 50% usage. It's crucial for everything to be perfectly responsive with zero delays and between the score entry/score display/queuing display/external syncing & backup that I don't think a Pi would be enough. Could be wrong though.

I think a Pi would have enough juice for the score entries and administrative tasks and maybe handle a display for live results, but I wouldn't expose it to players to view results on their own devices.

It would be great to have a all-in-one tournament software package, but what many do not realize is that it's a ton of work, with oh so little payback. I've written my own little software for IFPA, PAPA, and/or Herb formats over the years and dropped it after realizing that it was just too much effort to do the right way.

#169 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am honestly more concerned with the score entry part of a new technology for running tournaments. The queuing is really less important as there are easy ways to make that work and not be complicated.

I agree about score entry, but queuing is just as important if not more because not all methods scale well. I've lose track of the number of tournaments where games are empty and people are ready to play, but just waiting to be "placed" on the game. While you say they are easy ways, you would be surprised on how inefficient many are!

If you are staffed well, score entry lag is not that bad. PAPA, Seattle, Louisville and SPF a great job using paper and the lag isn't bad at all. At Expo, once we got caught up Friday night, everything was good. We had technical issues and I was flying in friday morning (due to work) so things were delayed out of the gate. Not to mention we had to renter 1k scores because some other folks didn't follow our instructions.

One of the things that tournament directors need to understand is that game play time efficiency is a very critical to a successful tournament. If there are games that are open and nobody is playing, that is revenue loss, but more importantly, it frustrates players that WANT to play on those games.

I suggest for queuing, just hand out a single card from a deck of cards to each player. They can use that as a physical placeholder for a game and it prevents them from waiting at the same time on many games. For entries, I would just use poker chips or some unique identifier that I could sell and people would use as an entry. The electronic ideas Troz has for entry and que are great, but seem to really complicate things from my perspective when the main objective is really to streamline the score entry process.

Honestly, that isn't KISS As a player, I have cards, poker chips or other things I need to keep track of.

With this said, for a Herb-style tournament, using at ticket system plus a "row of chairs" in front of the games (a line for each game) is the by far the best method to stage players on games. It's straight forward and doesn't require any fancy technology. It allows maximum game time efficiency because it allows the scorekeeper or other helper to get people on games faster. Write down score, get next players ticket, rinse repeat. This keeps it very simple and everyone knows where they stand in their wait time and they get to sit down while waiting and be social with others.

This format works great in the twilight hours of the tournament as you have more people trying to get last minute qualifying. It also REDUCES score keeping because by this point most players know the scores they are shooting and the scorekeepers are mainly just getting people on the games and taking tickets with occasional score taking.

The drawback is you need space and obviously chairs

While I loved Karl's software at DRAINS, I do question how well it would scale to something like Seattle or SPF last year, were all the games had 6 to 10 people waiting.

#196 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Love it.
    Realistically, any tournament software should manage the queue. There is no reason why there isnt a big LCD showing the current queue for each machine, and giving estimated wait times.
    Pretty easy to calculate if you are entering scores as people stop playing.

Karl's software at DRAINS did this (except the estimated wait times) and it was pretty cool.

Estimated wait times are tricky and in the cases I've seen it attempted, it's failed. Not only are you tracking game time, which is one Bowen/Elwin/Cayle game away from greatly skewing your averages, but the time in between one player and another starting is can greatly be different.

Now -- something like this could work in specific formats, maybe in a head to head match play, but not in a HERB style tournament.

#197 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not care to build an event that is 100% focused on the competitive pro that has no interest any aspect of an event besides themself. Pinball for me is about fun and meeting new people. I respect that for some it is an individual thing and they wear earbuds and prefer to not even speak a single word to a single person. However, I refuse to structure an event around these people as I am more concerned with promoting pinball and fun to the masses.

You must have gone to some really crappy pinball tournaments to believe this because it's so far from the truth its sad.

I have found that most casual competitive players do not want to sit by themself in line for X hours during qualifying. It really is not that difficult. I like your chair idea as an organizer, but find it very boring as a player.

Well it's boring if you sit there and hide in your shell and not speak to those around you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaxxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-tournament-disaster-and-how-to-prevent-it-in-the-future?tu=zaxxis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.