(Topic ID: 43776)

Texas Pinball Festival tournament disaster and how to prevent it in the future

By concernedplayer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    TPF_13b.PNG
    TPF_2013a.PNG
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

What was the disaster, and how can it be prevented in the future? Make this topic useful to those that aren't in on the joke.

I assume the disaster is that things were still going on at 5am for a tournament???

#8 11 years ago

why did they extend qualifying to 9pm?

#19 11 years ago

Ken,

Sh!t happens. I was not there, but as a fellow helper and organizer of events in my area I will say a huge thanks for what you did to put this on! I can not even imagine the stress of that many qualifiers. WOW!

I am sure many improvements will be made from what you learned this year.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

As someone told me a couple years ago, they come to the show and expect a good tournament that pays out 100% run by pros, and there is no need to thank those running it. They are there to do a job.

It is sad but true that a few have told me a very similar thing.

I still get the reward of the others that do say thanks and genuinely have a good time.

I know I am a glutton for punishment, but I have stepped up for Clock Chaos for no pay. I also know there will be some great people that are appreciative and that is why I do it. To see the genuine smiles on a select few faces make it all worth while at the end of the day

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from iepinball:

My software will be ready for public consumption too in the coming months. I generally don't toot my own horn, but I thought it went very well at INDISC (http://www.iepinball.com/neverdrains/2013standings/) and received a number of thanks and compliments from various people for it. Web-based system with mobile scorekeeping (iPod/iPad/Android/WHATEVER). Zero paper, instant score postings, less frustrations, etc. More hardware/software requirements than anything else though so setup is trickier.

Where can I sign up?

I have been saying that the #1 thing I want is a locked down (i.e. password protected) application where a scorekeeper can just directly enter a players score on the game they are monitoring and it automatically uploads to the big board.

NO MORE PAPER would be great!

#120 11 years ago

Troz> Love it!

Is it going to be free to use?

Thanks in advance. It looks awesome!

#163 11 years ago

I am honestly more concerned with the score entry part of a new technology for running tournaments. The queuing is really less important as there are easy ways to make that work and not be complicated.

KISS works best for me.
    In a dream world>>>
    I want 1 main CPU which is used for the data dump and could also be hooked to a projector/monitor for a breakout window so other can see the current rankings on each game, the ability to give score keepers a way to enter player/game/score from their ipad or iphone or similar device and it will autodump to the main CPU. This satisfies the 2 main issues with most events >> it eliminates paper and it removes the lag from time played to score entry. The other benefit is it frees up the main organizer from doing any score entry which means he can focus on entry sales, taking cash, and game issues.

I suggest for queuing, just hand out a single card from a deck of cards to each player. They can use that as a physical placeholder for a game and it prevents them from waiting at the same time on many games. For entries, I would just use poker chips or some unique identifier that I could sell and people would use as an entry. The electronic ideas Troz has for entry and que are great, but seem to really complicate things from my perspective when the main objective is really to streamline the score entry process. Just my thoughts >> which I know is easy since i have absolutely no idea what goes in to all your hard programming work.

Also wanted to say thanks in advance for all of you guys that have this knowledge and are putting it to good use!!!

#168 11 years ago

looking forward to it Dan!

#170 11 years ago

I have had major complaints that people DO NOT want to stand/sit in line to que for a game. They want to be able to socialize and talk/drink with buddies rather than wait patiently in line behind the next game they want to play.

The physical que of a card is an easy placeholder that also prevents them waiting simultaneously behind every game. If a player is unable to keep track of their specific card and remember to go place it in line for the next gane they want to wait for, then they probably should focus on something else besides playing pinball. If they are unable to keep track of their entry (slip of paper or a poker chip), then again, they have much bigger things to worry about.

I do not care to build an event that is 100% focused on the competitive pro that has no interest any aspect of an event besides themself. Pinball for me is about fun and meeting new people. I respect that for some it is an individual thing and they wear earbuds and prefer to not even speak a single word to a single person. However, I refuse to structure an event around these people as I am more concerned with promoting pinball and fun to the masses. I have found that most casual competitive players do not want to sit by themself in line for X hours during qualifying.

It really is not that difficult. I like your chair idea as an organizer, but find it very boring as a player.

Getting enough helpers and score entry is by far the biggest trouble for me so far.

#185 11 years ago

I agree that the aurcade scoring system poses ZERO interest to me. I do not care how much higher a players score is on a game. All I care is the overall rank of scores on each game for the day.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-tournament-disaster-and-how-to-prevent-it-in-the-future?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.