(Topic ID: 43776)

Texas Pinball Festival tournament disaster and how to prevent it in the future

By concernedplayer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    TPF_13b.PNG
    TPF_2013a.PNG
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider triadwatch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#165 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

There is another thread with some tournament software. I haven't tested it live yet. I might use it for a small event I have planned in April.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-tournament-manager-application-v154
    For single or double elim up to 32 players, I use this:
    http://download.cnet.com/ALJ-Tournament-Maker/3000-2121_4-10620462.html
    Works great but make sure to save occasionally.
    If you have an iPad you can try brackelope. http://brackelope.com/ The upshot with it is players can check their standings live on their phones/pads.
    Adam Lefkoff has some slick software that I have used many times and is perfect for Herb format qualifiers. The configuration is a little more complicated and I'm not sure if he intends it for public distro. Bowen probably knows more about its current dev status.
    If you do a standard PAPA final format (3 games with 4-2-1-0 scoring) there is no software that I know of. We always do it pen and paper, which works out fine because it's not a lot of work.

I play in a twice yearly pinball tournament in North Carolina at a place called flippers. David Hernly has a web site called Aurcade here is a link http://aurcade.com/default.aspx this tournament run great with all up to date scores for you to see. You use a I pad to put your score into the system after finishing your game. David is on Facebook and I will tell him about this post.

#180 11 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The Aurcade system needs to be rebalanced; its point system (100 points for 1st, % of points for all other players) seems natural but leads to trouble on "exponential" versus "linear" scoring games.
    For example, on Monopoly, a 60 million game is significantly better than a 40 million game. That game has very "linear" scoring, where you're mostly grinding for every point you can get. On AC/DC, the same quality of games might be 250 million versus 100 million.
    The current scoring system used by PAPA and other tournaments (100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 85 for 3rd, 84 for 4th ... 1 for 87th) was developed to balance all styles of scoring while still rewarding breakaway games. Aurcade should consider making this scoring available, or it is unlikely to be used at many events.
    My advice to the others considering building systems here is to give some time for those who are already in progress with these projects. There will probably be time for public feedback but there's no need to start from scratch.
    Also, big thanks to Adrian and everyone else who puts in the time and effort to volunteer at pin events. Without volunteers, none of this happens. Don't forget to thank them when you see them.. or better yet, don't forget to give them a break and volunteer yo self!

I beg to differ on the aurcade system. If you want a smooth playing tournament then go with aurcade for your next pinball tournament. It gives 100 points to the highest scorer and if the high scorer had 100 million and you only happened to only get 50 million on that game then you got only 50 points on that game since you only had half the highest scorers total.also you can see your score and where you stand then see where you can get better on the set of machines you are playing.

Having played in the flippers tournament twice now with tournament starting at 10 in morning not stopping till 8 at night it has run smoothly even seeing newsom , Cedolia , said and me seeing us get schooled by Trent all day. One day Bowen we can get you to come to the outer banks for this tournament I do see where you are coming from but this system and set up to me is pretty flawless .

#186 11 years ago

Rank Player Score %
    1. Joe Said 361,733,250 100.00
    2. Chris Newsom 272,556,270 75.35
    3. Jennifer Peavler 239,013,550 66.07
    4. Trent Augenstein 199,919,440. 55.27
    5. Andrew Cedolia 186,656,780 51.60
    6. Keith Brown 130,498,370 36.08
    7. Scott Sidley 92,892,910 25.68
    8. Kevin Stone 88,901,190 24.58
    9. Justin Bath 87,438,340. 24.17
    10. Brent Sorensen 86,708,870 23.97
    11. Randy Curly 81,350,980 22.49
    12. Dylan Lanbscher 62,930,710 17.40
    13. Ben Neiderlander 58,922,330. 16.29
    14. BJ Wiseman 57,469,450 15.89
    15. James Vermaak 37,113,090 10.26
    16. Darren Buss 29,081,900 8.04
    There Are Scores Listed

These are the scores from creature at flippers and as you said there could be a monster game from someone but as a player it is up to you to also have a monster score like maybe getting 5 times play field on whitewater right before multiball. As you see probably joe said got super jackpot on creature to get that high score while some of us did not but still were trying to get a higher score during the day to get more points to improve our standings, where in this tournament you could see where you stand on each game live right after you entered your score.

I see where some would not play that game if they know the high score is way out of reach but if you know that you could also have a monster game it is time to have a monster game as well.

I do know that they are changing flippers up a bit this year by having the aurcade to get top 16 then they are going into a match play format for final rounds . This is a good tweak to this tournament.

#188 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

Arguing with Bowen about tournaments really???

Yep , really

#194 11 years ago

It is all good in neighborhood , lets go play some pinball. Agree to disagree .

image.jpgimage.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider triadwatch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-tournament-disaster-and-how-to-prevent-it-in-the-future?tu=triadwatch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.