(Topic ID: 43776)

Texas Pinball Festival tournament disaster and how to prevent it in the future

By concernedplayer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    TPF_13b.PNG
    TPF_2013a.PNG
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sc1f1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 11 years ago

Disaster is being polite that was the worst tournament I've played in sorry. It was later than 5am people. I know a top ranked world player that finished his game at 6:45 and was expected to be back at 9am for Texas state tournament. I know several that flat out walked out after spending plenty. That's another thing take in for this tournament was unreal and the payouts were very low.

I just won some in last weeks Papa circuit in Louisville and I can tell you they paid people way Down in points with a smaller amount of take in.

Just wait till more the players get rested from last night and getting back home you'll hear plenty about how horrible this was... I had scores that I took a picture of on my phone that by end of qualifying they were not in the system anymore. Score keeper was writing VB tied to excel on the fly to organize players. There has to be something already in place for this.

I do want to mention the show and venue were great couldn't ask for a better setup but never being able to know where you stand and never got to see most my points till it was too late left me feeling a little robbed. I should have stopped when their first excuse was not being able to power up the projector to post scores Friday...

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballrebel:

Payouts were published way ahead of time. I'm not going to get into an argument about it. For those of you who had fun thank you. For those that did not I understand. It wasn't a cake walk for me either

Money isn't a 1/16 of it to me. I'd flown there to win a stern t-shirt and been happy feeling I was competing in something. Not some mystery experiment of writing an app to organize scoring

Many had lost scores over a period that were verified from there own score keeping

I had fun seeing old friends and new but the event was so great but I know a few thats left with a black eye on it from this tournament

Mark payouts were posted somewhere ill dig them up. Exhausted just got in

#35 11 years ago

No you're not Mark. I forgot about the 2 free entries as well in Loiusville. It should have been stopped at a certain time and started again in the morning or went to single elimination.

I take that back they should have stopped qualifying when it was posted and played each one out as stated everywhere around the tournament area and online.

#78 11 years ago

Playing till 5am is all fine and well if you weren't dumping money into a tournament since Friday night till closing and starting again 8am on Saturday and then expect people to be sane till 6am and then expect them back at 9am Sunday. You should allow someone that is experienced at this to run it next time period!

Preferably IFPA or PAPA! I can't wait to see qualifying scores because I bet they were real accurate

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

If there is a bunch of people waiting in the wings that can run these professionally and free to the venue.

The director over the TPF tournament made money period and most likely paid his score keeper so I wouldn't say their pockets weren't lined

What is wrong with giving someone that is a professional a little money to make sure tournament events goes off without a hitch and doesn't leave the festival with a black eye? I wouldn't mind a part of my prize going to a professional tournament director knowing that scores were correctly entered and I was able to see where I stand all day during qualifying.

Power trip is what I saw this weekend with people trying to help with data entry and it was refused several times.

There is a reason this event doesn't attract many world players

#138 11 years ago
    Quoted from Replay:

I still have no idea if mine were or not, I have not seen them. I would really like to see Ken post a link to the qualifying score spreadsheet.

I agree sir! I wish they would post the qualifying scores. I put way too much money in that tournament playing blindly...

#187 11 years ago

Arguing with Bowen about tournaments really???

#190 11 years ago

I agree I shouldn't have used arguing

I see what you mean about the smaller number of people and using a 1 point spread instead of 10 for first and second place

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sc1f1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-tournament-disaster-and-how-to-prevent-it-in-the-future?tu=sc1f1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.