6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinballrebel
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    TPF_13b.PNG
    TPF_2013a.PNG
    image.jpg

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 6 years ago

Suggestion for TPF 2014... let's see if we can get "5-hour-energy" as a sponsor.

#152 6 years ago

My biggest issue with TPF was that it wasn't long enough! I didn't get to see and play half of what I wanted to. But it was very rewarding hanging out and meeting the players in the tournament. This year I felt the most comraderie among competitors than I have in working tourneys the last three years, despite the circumstances. It was a wonderful event and I can't wait until next year!

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from Troz:

Much has changed since though, so it's not a perfect representation of the system but it'll give you a general overview. Score entry will be faster with fewer verification pages. A few tweaks to the queuing system. New option for taking a photo and attaching it to the recorded score. I'll make a new post around here once I'm ready to share it.

You could put the PHP server on a pre-configured distribution for the RaspberryPi so that the tournament organizers don't have to configure a bunch of software dependencies..

#154 6 years ago

and if you want a paper trail, in the event that the electronic system breaks down, something like this device might help.. (haven't personally used it)
    amazon.com link »

so, a player could receive a receipt to verify that their score was entered into the system

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Suggestion for TPF 2014... let's see if we can get "5-hour-energy" as a sponsor.

Now that's funny.
    Would make a great commercial for them though.
    End with a shot of the trophy winners holding up 5-hour energy with the sun rising in the background.

#157 6 years ago
    Quoted from briandols:

You could put the PHP server on a pre-configured distribution for the RaspberryPi so that the tournament organizers don't have to configure a bunch of software dependencies..

I'd be willing to help with this too.

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'd be willing to help with this too.

yeah, same here. I have a RaspberryPi and it sounds like a few of us down here are interested in creating tournaments which could serve as a testing ground for this.

#159 6 years ago

I haven't used a Pi before, but I don't know if it'd be powerful enough. At INDISC I was running off of an i3-3225 which was peaking around 50% usage. It's crucial for everything to be perfectly responsive with zero delays and between the score entry/score display/queuing display/external syncing & backup that I don't think a Pi would be enough. Could be wrong though.

#160 6 years ago
    Quoted from Troz:

I haven't used a Pi before, but I don't know if it'd be powerful enough. At INDISC I was running off of an i3-3225 which was peaking around 50% usage. It's crucial for everything to be perfectly responsive with zero delays and between the score entry/score display/queuing display/external syncing & backup that I don't think a Pi would be enough. Could be wrong though.

I think a Pi would have enough juice for the score entries and administrative tasks and maybe handle a display for live results, but I wouldn't expose it to players to view results on their own devices.

It would be great to have a all-in-one tournament software package, but what many do not realize is that it's a ton of work, with oh so little payback. I've written my own little software for IFPA, PAPA, and/or Herb formats over the years and dropped it after realizing that it was just too much effort to do the right way.

#161 6 years ago
    Quoted from Troz:

only one way to find out: load testing, which i could help with. some caching strategies may help but you know your code better than i can speculate on how it runs. either way, I can try running it and provide feedback on setup, etc. for you.

#162 6 years ago

This was my first pin fest and I barely played any games because early Friday there was only 1 or 2 people taking scores. I quickly jumped in and did the EM tourney score keeping Friday and most of Saturday.

I wasn't even signed up as a volunteer to work, didn't get any benefits, but did it for the players and the hobby. That's what good people do. Much love to all the helpers.

All the players that went through my lines.were very friendly. Had a few complaints about not knowing scores, not knowing how the tournament worked and what games. I think I was constantly explaining the.format and games. Other complaints were the running late and the cost to enter the big tournament for kids.But overall everyone.was positive and had a great time. Is it such a bad thing the tournament was such a hit that it got bombarded with players?? I know next yr will be even better because the coordinators listen and care and give it their all to improve.

Thanks for everyone's patience and thanks to the girls who kept bringing me water and snacks since I was stuck for hours keeping scores without a break. U rock.

Big thanks to Marcus & Ken for their sacrifice.

Adrian

#163 6 years ago

I am honestly more concerned with the score entry part of a new technology for running tournaments. The queuing is really less important as there are easy ways to make that work and not be complicated.

KISS works best for me.
    In a dream world>>>
    I want 1 main CPU which is used for the data dump and could also be hooked to a projector/monitor for a breakout window so other can see the current rankings on each game, the ability to give score keepers a way to enter player/game/score from their ipad or iphone or similar device and it will autodump to the main CPU. This satisfies the 2 main issues with most events >> it eliminates paper and it removes the lag from time played to score entry. The other benefit is it frees up the main organizer from doing any score entry which means he can focus on entry sales, taking cash, and game issues.

I suggest for queuing, just hand out a single card from a deck of cards to each player. They can use that as a physical placeholder for a game and it prevents them from waiting at the same time on many games. For entries, I would just use poker chips or some unique identifier that I could sell and people would use as an entry. The electronic ideas Troz has for entry and que are great, but seem to really complicate things from my perspective when the main objective is really to streamline the score entry process. Just my thoughts >> which I know is easy since i have absolutely no idea what goes in to all your hard programming work.

Also wanted to say thanks in advance for all of you guys that have this knowledge and are putting it to good use!!!

#164 6 years ago

I actually think the Pi is a perfect solution here.

One Pi acts as the webserver, just hosting the pages and DB. Other Pi's can be connected to TVs/Monitors around and just display an ever refreshing page from the server.

Seriously, if anyone running a club is interested, I think we can do a really nice setup for less than $100.

#165 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

There is another thread with some tournament software. I haven't tested it live yet. I might use it for a small event I have planned in April.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-arcade-tournament-manager-application-v154
    For single or double elim up to 32 players, I use this:
    http://download.cnet.com/ALJ-Tournament-Maker/3000-2121_4-10620462.html
    Works great but make sure to save occasionally.
    If you have an iPad you can try brackelope. http://brackelope.com/ The upshot with it is players can check their standings live on their phones/pads.
    Adam Lefkoff has some slick software that I have used many times and is perfect for Herb format qualifiers. The configuration is a little more complicated and I'm not sure if he intends it for public distro. Bowen probably knows more about its current dev status.
    If you do a standard PAPA final format (3 games with 4-2-1-0 scoring) there is no software that I know of. We always do it pen and paper, which works out fine because it's not a lot of work.

I play in a twice yearly pinball tournament in North Carolina at a place called flippers. David Hernly has a web site called Aurcade here is a link http://aurcade.com/default.aspx this tournament run great with all up to date scores for you to see. You use a I pad to put your score into the system after finishing your game. David is on Facebook and I will tell him about this post.

#166 6 years ago

The Aurcade system needs to be rebalanced; its point system (100 points for 1st, % of points for all other players) seems natural but leads to trouble on "exponential" versus "linear" scoring games.

For example, on Monopoly, a 60 million game is significantly better than a 40 million game. That game has very "linear" scoring, where you're mostly grinding for every point you can get. On AC/DC, the same quality of games might be 250 million versus 100 million.

The current scoring system used by PAPA and other tournaments (100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 85 for 3rd, 84 for 4th ... 1 for 87th) was developed to balance all styles of scoring while still rewarding breakaway games. Aurcade should consider making this scoring available, or it is unlikely to be used at many events.

My advice to the others considering building systems here is to give some time for those who are already in progress with these projects. There will probably be time for public feedback but there's no need to start from scratch.

Also, big thanks to Adrian and everyone else who puts in the time and effort to volunteer at pin events. Without volunteers, none of this happens. Don't forget to thank them when you see them.. or better yet, don't forget to give them a break and volunteer yo self!

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I want 1 main CPU which is used for the data dump and could also be hooked to a projector/monitor for a breakout window so other can see the current rankings on each game, the ability to give score keepers a way to enter player/game/score from their ipad or iphone or similar device and it will autodump to the main CPU. This satisfies the 2 main issues with most events >> it eliminates paper and it removes the lag from time played to score entry.

The MGC actually one year started doing all electronic entry, but we switched back pretty quickly. The issue for us was that if there was an error in typing in the score, it was essentially untraceable. By doing the paper, it provides a backup way to look back at the score that was written and the score that was entered at the computer. The score that is written the player looks at and confirms, and the score that is being inputted is looked at by the data entry person to ensure that it makes sense, or else they can go confirm with the official.

We have a custom made system that I really for the most part like. When scores are updated, it immediately feeds onto the internet, where players may check their scores as quickly as they get put in basically. You'll obviously see it... well, tomorrow now.

#168 6 years ago

looking forward to it Dan!

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am honestly more concerned with the score entry part of a new technology for running tournaments. The queuing is really less important as there are easy ways to make that work and not be complicated.

I agree about score entry, but queuing is just as important if not more because not all methods scale well. I've lose track of the number of tournaments where games are empty and people are ready to play, but just waiting to be "placed" on the game. While you say they are easy ways, you would be surprised on how inefficient many are!

If you are staffed well, score entry lag is not that bad. PAPA, Seattle, Louisville and SPF a great job using paper and the lag isn't bad at all. At Expo, once we got caught up Friday night, everything was good. We had technical issues and I was flying in friday morning (due to work) so things were delayed out of the gate. Not to mention we had to renter 1k scores because some other folks didn't follow our instructions.

One of the things that tournament directors need to understand is that game play time efficiency is a very critical to a successful tournament. If there are games that are open and nobody is playing, that is revenue loss, but more importantly, it frustrates players that WANT to play on those games.

I suggest for queuing, just hand out a single card from a deck of cards to each player. They can use that as a physical placeholder for a game and it prevents them from waiting at the same time on many games. For entries, I would just use poker chips or some unique identifier that I could sell and people would use as an entry. The electronic ideas Troz has for entry and que are great, but seem to really complicate things from my perspective when the main objective is really to streamline the score entry process.

Honestly, that isn't KISS As a player, I have cards, poker chips or other things I need to keep track of.

With this said, for a Herb-style tournament, using at ticket system plus a "row of chairs" in front of the games (a line for each game) is the by far the best method to stage players on games. It's straight forward and doesn't require any fancy technology. It allows maximum game time efficiency because it allows the scorekeeper or other helper to get people on games faster. Write down score, get next players ticket, rinse repeat. This keeps it very simple and everyone knows where they stand in their wait time and they get to sit down while waiting and be social with others.

This format works great in the twilight hours of the tournament as you have more people trying to get last minute qualifying. It also REDUCES score keeping because by this point most players know the scores they are shooting and the scorekeepers are mainly just getting people on the games and taking tickets with occasional score taking.

The drawback is you need space and obviously chairs

While I loved Karl's software at DRAINS, I do question how well it would scale to something like Seattle or SPF last year, were all the games had 6 to 10 people waiting.

#170 6 years ago

I have had major complaints that people DO NOT want to stand/sit in line to que for a game. They want to be able to socialize and talk/drink with buddies rather than wait patiently in line behind the next game they want to play.

The physical que of a card is an easy placeholder that also prevents them waiting simultaneously behind every game. If a player is unable to keep track of their specific card and remember to go place it in line for the next gane they want to wait for, then they probably should focus on something else besides playing pinball. If they are unable to keep track of their entry (slip of paper or a poker chip), then again, they have much bigger things to worry about.

I do not care to build an event that is 100% focused on the competitive pro that has no interest any aspect of an event besides themself. Pinball for me is about fun and meeting new people. I respect that for some it is an individual thing and they wear earbuds and prefer to not even speak a single word to a single person. However, I refuse to structure an event around these people as I am more concerned with promoting pinball and fun to the masses. I have found that most casual competitive players do not want to sit by themself in line for X hours during qualifying.

It really is not that difficult. I like your chair idea as an organizer, but find it very boring as a player.

Getting enough helpers and score entry is by far the biggest trouble for me so far.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have had major complaints that people DO NOT want to stand/sit in line to que for a game. They want to be able to socialize and talk/drink with buddies rather than wait patiently in line behind the next game they want to play.

How about getting those vibrating coasters they use at TGI Friday's?

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It really is not that difficult. I like your chair idea as an organizer, but find it very boring as a player.
    Getting enough helpers and score entry is by far the biggest trouble for me so far.

What is easiest to manage for the tournament organizer isn't always what is best for the player, but successful tournaments overall, as opposed to mayhem, are always what is best for pinball. Both the queue system with cards or chips and line systems with chairs that are being discussed have been used many times. The chip / card system is fine when everyone knows everyone else and the tournament is small. On the other hand, when you have hundreds of people coming into the tournament area, most of which are total strangers and many of whom have never played in a competitive event, the chip / card queue system fails. A line of chairs is always easily understandable and efficient to pros and novices alike, even if it's not the most "fun".

#173 6 years ago

Poker chips or even score sheets can be used as a queuing system. You write the players' names on each chip and they use it to queue up for their next game.

The simplest way to do it is to get a large sheet of butcher paper and draw a line and then a circle, like this:

_________________O

The person running the queue places the player's poker chip on the line starting from right to left. The player currently playing is placed in the circle. This way, all players can get a feel for how long the wait is for each game and choose accordingly, as opposed to constantly asking (and distracting) the score keeper.

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

How about getting those vibrating coasters they use at TGI Friday's?

Love it.

Realistically, any tournament software should manage the queue. There is no reason why there isnt a big LCD showing the current queue for each machine, and giving estimated wait times.

Pretty easy to calculate if you are entering scores as people stop playing.

#175 6 years ago

So what I heard about this tournament was.

No scores to look at the entire weekend, none, zero, nada. Everyone stops playing qualifying which makes sense, what's the point if you don't know where you stand? Qualifying hours get extended, pot builder? Time for finals! The guy who has been working on his broken unusable scoring system and unable to show anyone any type of stats is now the top qualifier? LOL

I did hear the show games were great.

#176 6 years ago

Once again we have an account (pinballpaleale) who has an account created today. He has posted one item which is the one on this thread. I highly suspect its the same person who started this topic. I love trolls.

Extending qualifying was a mistake. I already said that. There was no intention to "build the pot" as you imply. The intention was to give players who had not been able to play due to all the mechanical issues and delays a chance to play.

The volunteer your are speaking of is a consistent qualifier at TPF, Houston, launch parties, and often wins league events. You implication is that he cheated. He did not and I think that accusation is without merit and just plain sad. It also implies that as the director for the tourney I would let that happen and I resent that implication. My contributions to the hobby are well known and my reputation as a honest individual is important to me.

I have already explained all the issues that fed into our situation in the tourney area as I saw them. We are in the process of revamping the entire process which includes working with a well known top player to help facilitate a smoother tourney in 2014.

I do think this topic has led to some very productive thoughts from software designers, and people who run other tourneys (or who use to before they gave up). It might be a good idea to start a new thread on tourney ideas, software, and suggestion. It would seem to me to a good idea to take those positive aspects and give them their own thread.

Ken

#177 6 years ago

I'm thinking score keepers should use their phone or other device to enter scoring, not paper. First a player would register at the tournament desk receiving a badge with their name, picture and a QRD code. A qualifying attempt would consist of scanning the QRD code on a players badge to speed up the process and avoid naming typos. The score keeper would also verify the picture on the badge is actually the person qualifying. When the attempt is completed the score keeper would enter the score into the app by hand and take a pic of the score before submitting to a DB. The scores can then be crowd sourced and verified by the player who played the qualifying game and all other players qualifying. Make it happen smarter people than I! I'm here for moral support! lol

#178 6 years ago

Nope I'm not the original poster, first time i've ever been on this site. Everyone i've talked to said the selection and quality of show games was awesome and a great time. You guys just can't seem to get a tournament off the ground since this event started. I know tournys are a PITA to run and they all have issues, but the streak of misfortune this event has had is unequaled. It's getting worse lol.

I'm really joking about the qualifying and pot building stuff, but really what are people to think? You know people are going to make those assumptions as there are no stats to tell people what the heck is going on. I do not believe you guys are dishonest, just disorganized. Good luck on the next one.

#179 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Love it.
    Realistically, any tournament software should manage the queue. There is no reason why there isnt a big LCD showing the current queue for each machine, and giving estimated wait times.

I tried to find some cheap/free queue software, but no dice.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

The Aurcade system needs to be rebalanced; its point system (100 points for 1st, % of points for all other players) seems natural but leads to trouble on "exponential" versus "linear" scoring games.
    For example, on Monopoly, a 60 million game is significantly better than a 40 million game. That game has very "linear" scoring, where you're mostly grinding for every point you can get. On AC/DC, the same quality of games might be 250 million versus 100 million.
    The current scoring system used by PAPA and other tournaments (100 for 1st, 90 for 2nd, 85 for 3rd, 84 for 4th ... 1 for 87th) was developed to balance all styles of scoring while still rewarding breakaway games. Aurcade should consider making this scoring available, or it is unlikely to be used at many events.
    My advice to the others considering building systems here is to give some time for those who are already in progress with these projects. There will probably be time for public feedback but there's no need to start from scratch.
    Also, big thanks to Adrian and everyone else who puts in the time and effort to volunteer at pin events. Without volunteers, none of this happens. Don't forget to thank them when you see them.. or better yet, don't forget to give them a break and volunteer yo self!

I beg to differ on the aurcade system. If you want a smooth playing tournament then go with aurcade for your next pinball tournament. It gives 100 points to the highest scorer and if the high scorer had 100 million and you only happened to only get 50 million on that game then you got only 50 points on that game since you only had half the highest scorers total.also you can see your score and where you stand then see where you can get better on the set of machines you are playing.

Having played in the flippers tournament twice now with tournament starting at 10 in morning not stopping till 8 at night it has run smoothly even seeing newsom , Cedolia , said and me seeing us get schooled by Trent all day. One day Bowen we can get you to come to the outer banks for this tournament I do see where you are coming from but this system and set up to me is pretty flawless .

#181 6 years ago

Ken,

I'm not one to stir it up but I have seen at least two requests in this thread to post the scores against which the results were concluded for the tournament. Is this something that will be posted publicly? Don't you have to provide that information for WPPR points to be awarded?

Mike O.

#182 6 years ago

Yes, they will be posted. When they are I will link them here.

#183 6 years ago

As far as line que we use chair lines which works well. Too much down time if you have to hunt for someone to play a game. However, the chairs were moved this year due to the tourney area being so wide and I mean really wide.

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

I beg to differ on the aurcade system. If you want a smooth playing tournament then go with aurcade for your next pinball tournament. It gives 100 points to the highest scorer and if the high scorer had 100 million and you only happened to only get 50 million on that game then you got only 50 points on that game since you only had half the highest scorers total.also you can see your score and where you stand then see where you can get better on the set of machines you are playing.
    Having played in the flippers tournament twice now with tournament starting at 10 in morning not stopping till 8 at night it has run smoothly even seeing newsom , Cedolia , said and me seeing us get schooled by Trent all day. One day Bowen we can get you to come to the outer banks for this tournament I do see where you are coming from but this system and set up to me is pretty flawless .

Here is the problem. A game like Creature from the Black Lagoon or Spider-Man has "exponential scoring", where one player may get a breakaway score. The Aurcade scoring makes that one breakaway score worth an enormous number of points. It also reduces the value of everyone else's score relative to one another.

I have played in tournaments with this scoring many times. In the most recent such tournament, a player scored a very large game on a machine early in qualifying, and basically it stopped everyone else from even wanting to play the game. To me, this is bad, players shouldn't just have their scores compared to the #1 score but to all players' scores. Players can also leave such a tournament feeling negative about their scores (I only got 9% of the high score) when they could feel positive about their position (I got a top-10 score).

This wouldn't even be a major change, and the other positive features of Aurcade (easy score entry on multiple devices) could be used with a more balanced scoring system. I am not trying to say the system isn't smooth, I just think the scoring should be aligned to what PAPA, IFPA, and almost every major pinball tournament has been doing for a decade.

#185 6 years ago

I agree that the aurcade scoring system poses ZERO interest to me. I do not care how much higher a players score is on a game. All I care is the overall rank of scores on each game for the day.

#186 6 years ago

Rank Player Score %
    1. Joe Said 361,733,250 100.00
    2. Chris Newsom 272,556,270 75.35
    3. Jennifer Peavler 239,013,550 66.07
    4. Trent Augenstein 199,919,440. 55.27
    5. Andrew Cedolia 186,656,780 51.60
    6. Keith Brown 130,498,370 36.08
    7. Scott Sidley 92,892,910 25.68
    8. Kevin Stone 88,901,190 24.58
    9. Justin Bath 87,438,340. 24.17
    10. Brent Sorensen 86,708,870 23.97
    11. Randy Curly 81,350,980 22.49
    12. Dylan Lanbscher 62,930,710 17.40
    13. Ben Neiderlander 58,922,330. 16.29
    14. BJ Wiseman 57,469,450 15.89
    15. James Vermaak 37,113,090 10.26
    16. Darren Buss 29,081,900 8.04
    There Are Scores Listed

These are the scores from creature at flippers and as you said there could be a monster game from someone but as a player it is up to you to also have a monster score like maybe getting 5 times play field on whitewater right before multiball. As you see probably joe said got super jackpot on creature to get that high score while some of us did not but still were trying to get a higher score during the day to get more points to improve our standings, where in this tournament you could see where you stand on each game live right after you entered your score.

I see where some would not play that game if they know the high score is way out of reach but if you know that you could also have a monster game it is time to have a monster game as well.

I do know that they are changing flippers up a bit this year by having the aurcade to get top 16 then they are going into a match play format for final rounds . This is a good tweak to this tournament.

#187 6 years ago

Arguing with Bowen about tournaments really???

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

Yep , really

#189 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

Just looks like a discussion to me. And anyway, Hal Erickson told me that Bowen "certainly doesn't walk on water like everyone thinks."

On this particular point I more agree with Bowen, though. The aurcade system would work better with games with fairly linear scoring, where you have to work for every point. Avatar is sort of like that (though I admit I don't know the end game rules at all). Games like Fish Tales or Dracula wouldn't work, although, I'm not a big fan of those games for tournaments anyway. I guess my point is you would need to be extra particular about which games are used.

I don't like that first and second are given bonus points under the papa system but I don't hate it, and have used it before. A runaway first place score will lock in the number 1 spot, and I guess I feel that's a windfall of points and a big advantage right there. On the other hand, bonus points keep top players gunning for the top spots even when they're more or less guaranteed to qualify, so in that sense it's good for the prize pool. It just feels like a little too much when combined with a double-byes finals format.

Another issue with that system is I feel you need a lot of players (PAPA obviously doesn't have this problem). The fewer the players the more unbalanced it is. At my very first tournament I ran, the variation I used was to give every place 1 point, so if there are 20 players, 1st gets 20, 2nd 19, etc. (You could argue that last should get zero, so you could start at 19). However, 1st place got 10% bonus points and 2nd got 5%. So with 20 players, first place got 2 bonus points and 2nd got 1 bonus point. So the bonus was always sized by the field.

#190 6 years ago

I agree I shouldn't have used arguing

I see what you mean about the smaller number of people and using a 1 point spread instead of 10 for first and second place

#191 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree that the aurcade scoring system poses ZERO interest to me.

Completely agree. A tournament advertising that they would be using that software would be enough for me not to compete. In the big picture, the final score doesn't matter. Just who won and who lost. Nothing I enjoy more than intentionally letting a meaningless third ball drain. That's sportsmanship. Not going for the kill.

Quoted from jonnyo:

Just looks like a discussion to me. And anyway, Hal Erickson told me that Bowen "certainly doesn't walk on water like everyone thinks."

Well at least Hal doesn't talk about other people on internet bulletin boards.

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Well at least Hal doesn't talk about other people on internet bulletin boards.

Yeah, helluva guy.

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

Rank Player Score %
    1. Joe Said 361,733,250 100.00
    16. Darren Buss 29,081,900 8.04
    There Are Scores Listed
    These are the scores from creature at flippers and as you said there could be a monster game from someone but as a player it is up to you to also have a monster score like maybe getting 5 times play field on whitewater right before multiball. As you see probably joe said got super jackpot on creature to get that high score while some of us did not but still were trying to get a higher score during the day to get more points to improve our standings, where in this tournament you could see where you stand on each game live right after you entered your score.
    I see where some would not play that game if they know the high score is way out of reach but if you know that you could also have a monster game it is time to have a monster game as well.
    I do know that they are changing flippers up a bit this year by having the aurcade to get top 16 then they are going into a match play format for final rounds . This is a good tweak to this tournament.

I definitely approve of the "top 16 to playoffs" change, that is terrific. In New England last summer Trent won the tournament despite not being there for the entire final day. It was a bit anticlimactic to be sure!

If someone had dropped a billion on that Creature, it renders all the other scores pretty moot, which is what I mean by a breakaway score -- Joe's score is not a breakaway score. More than that, I don't like that Darren Buss will walk away thinking "I got 8% of the high score, crap" instead of "I got in the top 16 on that game, hey".

It's okay, either way we're still playing pinball and that makes it a good time regardless

#194 6 years ago

It is all good in neighborhood , lets go play some pinball. Agree to disagree .

image.jpg

#195 6 years ago

Man, I would love to prove that Marcus is suspect, then I wouldn't have to play against him. Unfortunately, I've actually played against him enough casually and in tournaments to know that he's just a good, consistent player, regardless of who is running the show. I'm still trying to get there, I'm inconsistent as hell, with flashes of brilliance here and there, but if I ever get some consistency, ya'll better look out. I let the emotion of the moment get to me way too easily, and that kills me every time just about. Of course, every game I had at TPF, the best games....were when I was down at the very bottom too, so...take that as you will. I've played in plenty of tournaments that Marcus has run where he didn't make the finals and just had some plain bad games. Don't go calling shit out just because he did manage to rank at a major event.

If you had bothered to even remotely look at DFW local results, or prior year TPF tourney results, you'd see that Marcus is consistenly a placer at those events....even when the slippery bastard gets in on a technicality (someone left) and then proceeds to steal the tourney, 1st place, and my Tron 3d translite. *shake fist* I'll get you one day, in a finals shootout.

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Love it.

Karl's software at DRAINS did this (except the estimated wait times) and it was pretty cool.

Estimated wait times are tricky and in the cases I've seen it attempted, it's failed. Not only are you tracking game time, which is one Bowen/Elwin/Cayle game away from greatly skewing your averages, but the time in between one player and another starting is can greatly be different.

Now -- something like this could work in specific formats, maybe in a head to head match play, but not in a HERB style tournament.

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I do not care to build an event that is 100% focused on the competitive pro that has no interest any aspect of an event besides themself. Pinball for me is about fun and meeting new people. I respect that for some it is an individual thing and they wear earbuds and prefer to not even speak a single word to a single person. However, I refuse to structure an event around these people as I am more concerned with promoting pinball and fun to the masses.

You must have gone to some really crappy pinball tournaments to believe this because it's so far from the truth its sad.

I have found that most casual competitive players do not want to sit by themself in line for X hours during qualifying. It really is not that difficult. I like your chair idea as an organizer, but find it very boring as a player.

Well it's boring if you sit there and hide in your shell and not speak to those around you.

#198 6 years ago

Tourney results have been posted in another thread....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 12,500.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 199.99
    $ 209.00
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 9,500.00
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside