4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by WesleyCowan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150328_200558.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-313.jpg
    image-146.jpg
    image-89.jpg
    image-226.jpg
    image-818.jpg
    image-716.jpg
    image-360.jpg
    image-735.jpg
    image-783.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Or just some random thoughts after spending the weekend.

I think this was the best show I've ever been to.
    More games than you could ever want to play.
    There was beer. Lots of beer.
    There were lines all weekend to play AMH, TBL and MMR.
    Congratulations to Spooky Pinball for selling over 20 games.
    I love hanging out with Charlie, Kayte and Ben. They had beer.
    Lots of artists and designers at the show. They all think I suck. More on that later.
    I can pee faster than the water came out of the shower head.
    The hall was HUGE, even with over 400 games.
    Free beer and snacks from 5:30 to 7:30. Nice touch by the hotel.
    I was finally able to put faces to a number of Pinsiders I've not had the chance to meet.
    I loved playing Whoa Nellie.
    The auction was a joke.
    I think this was the best show I've ever been to.
    Steve Ritchie has always secretly wanted to be me. I let him experience what it's like for a day.

image.jpg
    #2 4 years ago

I love Rob Anthony and and Martin Ayub.

#4 4 years ago

I got a few autographs at the show.

image.jpg image-783.jpg image-735.jpg image-360.jpg image-716.jpg image-818.jpg image-226.jpg image-89.jpg image-146.jpg image-313.jpg
    #5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I love hanging out with Charlie, Kayte and Ben. They had beer.

So, they were holding out on me. All I got was a keychain. (And a reservation for a really cool game).

I think the venue was perfect (if the power glitches could be resolved). Terrific number of games, great variety and plenty of room. Biggest downside were location and lines for Hobbit, TBL and WOZ.

Personal highlight for me was playing AMH in the tourney area and deciding to order one. Subsequent playing over the weekend just cemented that was a good move for me. Charley and KT seem to be terrific people. Didn't get to meet Ben this time.

My random thoughts:
    Whoa Nellie is a lot more fun than WWE.
    Star Trek: The Mirror Universe and the Acrylic Project were my favorite one off games.
    Some very fun EMs got a lot of play by a surprising number of kids.
    The Marco bag was very handy.
    I wish someone had flyers and translites for sale.
    All the seminar sessions were great.
    Great venue for the show. I may come here again next year instead of Expo.
    Tournament ran smoothly.
    Fun! auction games were hit or miss on the floor and the auction seemed like a waste of time.
    Whoever bought the Creature with new cabinet, new Playfield and ramp set for $4700 got one helluva deal.

#6 4 years ago

And Jersey Jack is great. He answered all the questions my wife had about Pat's game. I was going to be in the doghouse big time if I didn't come home with answers.

#7 4 years ago

Two things are clear.

One, you got the message.

Two, TPF was a hoot. Good job, Ed and all.

#8 4 years ago

Awesome. You are probably my favorite pinsider.

#9 4 years ago

Any one know if they had to draw more than one name for the free pin? I had to leave early this morning for a 5 hour drive and would be sick if I lost out. Lol

#10 4 years ago

I saw on another thread that they drew a second name.

#11 4 years ago

This was my first Texas Pinball Festival, but not my first show (Pinball Fantasy '96 in Vegas, any other Pinsiders there?). My random comments:

o It was SO VERY LOUD. I didn't last a half hour until I was reaching the for the earplugs (graciously provided at the merch desk). I think the average noise level made by the machines has increased since '96.
    o Not to sound ungrateful or unappreciative, but are there always this many machines that are powered off/non-functional? I saw some repairs going on, but there were many machines that were down for most of Saturday
    o Everyone I encountered really stuck to the "one game if someone is waiting" rule; that was great!
    o Jersey Jack makes some beautiful machines, and WOZ is a great player with some really unique features. Fantastic playfield lights. I didn't try to play Hobbit, line was too long. Noticed that they're running Ubuntu Linux under the covers, pretty cool.
    o Did I mention that it was loud?
    o ColorDMD is truly amazing, and I don't use that word lightly. Absolutely amazing. It was on display in many forms, full dots, fully upconverted (sorry, I don't know all of the actual terms) and in between. I thought they all looked fantastic.
    o WNBJM is a really cool game, definitely a good EM throwback feel, but I can't see it selling in big numbers at the prices we've heard, except to collectors that just have to have the latest, coolest thing.
    o MMR is very nice, although I'd never played an MM.
    o AC/DC is a really fun machine, and if I could have one modern machine in my home, this would probably be it. Until they do the Rush licensed machine...
    o Line to play TBL was ridiculous all day; I've never seen the movie so it's not a big draw for me.
    o Although I didn't get to play it, the 1984 Pinball guys have a nice looking machine with that Spinal Tap. Although, if it's going to be running on Apple power, that can't help the cost of the machine.
    o The plexiglass EM is twice as awesome in person as it is in pics/vids
    o I played a few machines with shaker motors for the first time; I'm still not sure whether I'd want to go that route
    o The virtual pinball tables are - interesting. I actually found myself getting a little immersed in the gameplay at times, but it's still too jarring to be able to fully "let go". It's just not my thing.
    o I played some P2K games for the first time (RFM and Star Wars), and enjoyed them more than I thought I would. I can definitely see how pics/vids could not adequately represent the player experience, doubtless one of a number of things that made this platform fail.
    o The "Star Trek: A Mirror Universe" machine was super cool, especially to an old guy like me who's a big fan of TOS and the "Mirror Mirror" episode

I can't wait until next year!

Brad

#12 4 years ago

Name tag switch. Well played.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Name tag switch. Well played.

I never knew who I was.

image.jpg
    #14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I never knew who I was.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Once you hit 60, I hear that is a common occurrence... Happy Birthday Bryan!

Brad

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

And Jersey Jack is great. He answered all the questions my wife had about Pat's game. I was going to be in the doghouse big time if I didn't come home with answers.

AND?!? Don't leave us hanging here!

#16 4 years ago

Pinball designers and artists are no different than you and me.
    They like pinball shows.
    They like to cuss and swear.
    They like to drink beer.
    If you give them shit, they give it right back.
    I love hearing the stupid shit they did while working on certain games, back in the day.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I never knew who I was.

There's a view of Bryan Kelly I never wanted to see. Takes me back to my old prison days.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

AND?!? Don't leave us hanging here!

He answered all her questions.

Not saying any more.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Not saying any more.

She wanted to know if there would be an upper flipper and a kickout hole just above the slings. There will.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Not saying any more.

Not entirely sure why this needs to be so secret. But, whatever.

#21 4 years ago

Great Review Bryan . Maybe next year I can go .

#22 4 years ago

I sure miss this show...

#23 4 years ago

Shortly after open on the first day I was walking in from the tourney area, and I saw Steve Ritchie on his way out. I must have had a look of recognition on my face because he changed course, walked right up to me, stuck out his hand and said "Hi how are ya?" That soon led to "You don't know who you're talking to do you?" And I said, of course I do, you're Steve Ritchie and he grinned and proudly held up his badge and said "Nope, I'm Bryan Kelly." And we had a laugh and off he went and I wasn't too sure what the hell had happened until I saw this thread.

#24 4 years ago

Steve and Mark Ritchie look like brothers.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

Not entirely sure why this needs to be so secret.

Because I'm pretty sure some would take an honest, candid answer and go off the deep end. I'm interested in real info about the game, not 100 arm chair quarterbacks telling me how Jack isn't doing something right or how the world as we know it will end because something has changed.

Jack said in his talk that we would all know more about the game late summer and that there is new function for the platform debuting in game #3. He reiterated that he has given Pat free reign in design - "I'm not going to tell Michaelangelo how to paint the Sistine Chapel". Apparently Pat was going to remove a feature for cost reasons and Jack said leave it in.

#26 4 years ago

We decided Thursday afternoon to be recklessly impulsive and make the trip. Booked flights/hotel (offsite) and a car, and jumped in. Managed to pick up an unused reservation on site while driving from the airport, which was a big plus - always nice to have a room to talk back to for a break, and the onsite breakfast was better than most hotels provide.

We'd only been to the show one other time, 2 years ago. This year was bigger and more crowded, both of which are great things in the bigger picture I suppose.

The condition of a number of the FUN! Auction games was pretty sketchy - I hope everybody that bought ends up happy with what they got. But it was great that they were available for play during the whole show (the stuff that worked anyway).

Whoa Nelly is really cool as an art piece and a throwback. Not something I'd want to play all the time, but it was very cool to check it out and I'm amazed that Greg & Dennis managed to get all the cabinet details through Stern production. Also, I'm really bad at playing it. Heh!

The P3 plays great and was very fun to shoot. Managed to get a 6 ball multiball via the spaceship lock, which is a crowded confusing mess to actually try to manage. I love the rapid ball returns from the scoops/drains with save.

Tried out two of the pinsound powered games (T2 & IJ) and thats a pretty nice upgrade, even though a lot of it was hard to hear (even with the provided headphones!) in the loud hall.

We retreated to Rob Anthony's room pretty often to take breaks from the noise. Maybe we're just getting old.

And I saw this Black Knight 2000 over by the snack stand that had the coolest use of light up star posts I've ever seen. Nice job, whoever that was.

image.jpg

#27 4 years ago

TPF 2015 in my opinion was the best yet.

* Top of the list? The people! Lots of exhibitors, volunteers, and guests from nearly every state in the country. Met some old pals and made a few new ones.

* Second? The games! Huge selection with a high ratio in good working order... many of which were beautifully restored.

* The issue with the loudness of tournament area callouts was resolved this year. The DFW Pinball Club was located immediately adjacent to the tournament area and we had no issues at all. Well done.

* $10 chuck wagon ticket for each game brought = nice perk!

* Thursday early load-in time extended the festival for exhibitors and greatly eased the traffic jam for loading games on Friday. Recommended!

* Judging was pretty much spot-on this year. All of the games I thought should win, won. Only change I'd make would be to announce the winners in ascending order... 3rd, 2nd, 1st instead of the other way around. Makes it a bit more exciting that way.

Suggested tweaks for next year & other observations:

* One nitpick is the exclusivity of tournament games. I'm not a tournament player and the games in that area are off-limits throughout the festival. I understand the importance of hosting unique and interesting games to keep players on their toes... but if there isn't an opportunity for "everyone else" to give them a spin at some point in the festival, I'd kinda prefer the whole area not take center stage at the main welcome entrance (look but don't touch). Which leads to #2...

* Layout was rather convoluted. It was hard to explain to visitors where anything was. Lots of makeshift black walls and halls mixing vendors and exhibitors and games. I'd suggest clustering vendors closer together as well as games from similar eras. The "EM row" in the DFW Pinball Club was a great example of this: The bells and chimes weren't drowned out by lasers/digital FX/etc.

* A bit too many of the auction games were non-functional. Seems like these could have been pushed against a wall/out of the way to create more space for working ones.

* I recommend more cute/funny signage reminding people not to put their drinks on the games. I had to tell a few folks not to do that. Also perhaps a group buy option for pingulps... can never have enough of those.

* Use these. amazon.com link »

Random thoughts...

* Did someone really try to steal the Lebowski carpet and get themselves arrested? Did Dutch Pinball/Cointaker say they wouldn't return with Lebowski next year because of this stupidness?

* Even though I live in Dallas, I WILL STAY AT EMBASSY SUITES NEXT YEAR (I also said this last year and didn't do it... third time's the charm).

* Pinball people know how to have fun. Some like it loud and in your face. Others take a more Zen-like approach to it (I would fall in this category). But whatever your tempo, this has to be one of the coolest hobbies ever.

* VECTOR took a low profile this year because we have several games undergoing active restoration and our PR committee is currently retooling their materials. We plan to make a pretty big splash at TPF 2016 and introduce lots of folks to the Dallas Makerspace (which is now the largest of its kind in the country with over 700 active members). More to come...

* Finally, a thank you to Dennis who had brought some extra 15 amp fuses. He gave me two after I fixed a GI issue. I ended up buying his 4 Roses game, no haggle. Gotta love it when things work out that way.

#28 4 years ago

Great review. Agree on all points.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

* Layout was rather convoluted. It was hard to explain to visitors where anything was. Lots of makeshift black walls and halls mixing vendors and exhibitors and games. I'd suggest clustering vendors closer together as well as games from similar eras. The "EM row" in the DFW Pinball Club was a great example of this: The bells and chimes weren't drowned out by lasers/digital FX/etc.

Yeah, it was definitely strange. I think after we made a circuit around the room twice, we were still coming across stuff we had somehow missed.

#30 4 years ago

It was pleasure to meet you Bryan....you suck.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

We decided Thursday afternoon to be recklessly impulsive and make the trip. Booked flights/hotel (offsite) and a car, and jumped in. Managed to pick up an unused reservation on site while driving from the airport, which was a big plus - always nice to have a room to talk back to for a break, and the onsite breakfast was better than most hotels provide.
    We'd only been to the show one other time, 2 years ago. This year was bigger and more crowded, both of which are great things in the bigger picture I suppose.
    The condition of a number of the FUN! Auction games was pretty sketchy - I hope everybody that bought ends up happy with what they got. But it was great that they were available for play during the whole show (the stuff that worked anyway).
    Whoa Nelly is really cool as an art piece and a throwback. Not something I'd want to play all the time, but it was very cool to check it out and I'm amazed that Greg & Dennis managed to get all the cabinet details through Stern production. Also, I'm really bad at playing it. Heh!
    The P3 plays great and was very fun to shoot. Managed to get a 6 ball multiball via the spaceship lock, which is a crowded confusing mess to actually try to manage. I love the rapid ball returns from the scoops/drains with save.
    Tried out two of the pinsound powered games (T2 & IJ) and thats a pretty nice upgrade, even though a lot of it was hard to hear (even with the provided headphones!) in the loud hall.
    We retreated to Rob Anthony's room pretty often to take breaks from the noise. Maybe we're just getting old.
    And I saw this Black Knight 2000 over by the snack stand that had the coolest use of light up star posts I've ever seen. Nice job, whoever that was.

This BK2K was beautiful and did win a Runner up Ribbon. Really nice example and excellent lighting enhancements. Glad you got a picture of it because I didnt

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, it was definitely strange. I think after we made a circuit around the room twice, we were still coming across stuff we had somehow missed.

I agree as well but I also think that the layout was way better than last year. Not nearly as many choke points in the flow. The only real flow problem was over by the Elevation Games area.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

...We retreated to Rob Anthony's room pretty often to take breaks from the noise. Maybe we're just getting old...

If the stops in my room were breaks for you and Liz, can I hire you guys to be on a break with me at every show? You guys were a HUGE help, THANK YOU again!!

I saw almost nothing of the show this year except for the walls of my booth. What I did see was awesome though. P3 is the quiet bell of the ball in my eyes.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I never knew who I was.

I can't decide if I should feel more insulted by your reaction to me taking you up on your offer of switching badges with me. You looked like I was taking your first newborn or something. Maybe it was the fact that you were impersonating someone else at the time.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#35 4 years ago

Oh, also, the challenge coin thing looks really cool - were those available to buy and I screwed up not finding them? or was it a pre-register only situation?

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

* Did someone really try to steal the Lebowski carpet and get themselves arrested? Did Dutch Pinball/Cointaker say they wouldn't return with Lebowski next year because of this stupidness?

20150328_200558.jpg
    Here's what I found Saturday afternoon when I walked over to finally hope I had a chance. I tried three or four times to play it and each time it was being tinkered with. Under the playfield looks like a pinball machine, so I guess they're doing something right there.

#37 4 years ago

I had a blast. Was great to meet some of the fellow pinsiders. I think I will for sure try and bring a machine next year and do it right.

Was really cool to try some machines I never have before an really hone in on the machines I want in my collection.

Thanks to everyone who brought machines. Couldn't put on the festival without you people.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Oh, also, the challenge coin thing looks really cool - were those available to buy and I screwed up not finding them? or was it a pre-register only situation?

I bought one. We are thinking about getting some made for Python's Pinball Circus. Possible different coins for different shows we go to, etc.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

For sale at the sales counter in the lobby. I got #108.

#40 4 years ago

Clicked on this thread hoping to read any updates on BO and/or farting situations...

#disappointed

#41 4 years ago

Honestly, Rob, I think I was Martin Ayub at the time and just didn't feel like being you. I was feeling more important being Martin. Besides, the whole switching names was getting a little messy. Steve Ritchie came up to me at some point in the evening and said he couldn't take being me anymore and wanted his badge back. I said WTF and I think he said I needed to LIVE BETTER!! By then, I think I was Dennis Nordman and I had no idea where his badge had gone. We did finally get it all worked out.

Quoted from Borygard:

I can't decide if I should feel more insulted by your reaction to me taking you up on your offer of switching badges with me. You looked like I was taking your first newborn or something. Maybe it was the fact that you were impersonating someone else at the time.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Dangit!

#43 4 years ago

It was nice to meet you and your wife, Tim. It's vendors like you I love. If I'm a bit bored and need a kick in the nuts, I just came to visit you and things were taken care of.

Quoted from Tmezel:

It was pleasure to meet you Bryan....you suck.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from bsnelson:

o Everyone I encountered really stuck to the "one game if someone is waiting" rule; that was great!

This was the same for me for the most part. Ran into one douche bag that had put 6 credits on the game and proceeded to play six player. I asked if he had done that or if someone else had done it (kids) and he had walked up to the pin as is. He said he had done it. I said that was a dick move on his part. He didn't like that and proceeded to tell me he was going for his best score ever. I said "either way that is a dick move"!

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

he was going for his best score ever.

What a banana head! What was he going to do, combine all 6 scores?

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from bsnelson:

Everyone I encountered really stuck to the "one game if someone is waiting" rule; that was great!

This was much, much better than previous years. I only had someone do this twice all weekend, compared to something like one in ten games last year. The first time was on Big Bang Bar, though - really, who would start multiple five-ball games and then play them all the way through?

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I think I ended up with #124 or something.

They are definitely really cool!

#48 4 years ago

So I made my first-ever visit to TPF this weekend and I cannot express how much fun I had. Aside from the Houston Arcade Expo, I haven't been to any other expos so I won't compare TPF to them, but from a newbie's perspective it was very well-organized and a real blast! I will absolutely be going back next year! I regret not being able to spend all weekend there. I feel like I missed a lot and would have liked to have chatted with the guest speakers, exhibitors, and vendors more but for the 5 hours I was there, it was amazing! I did get to speak to Jersey Jack and another JJP designer (sorry I didn't catch his name) briefly and they were both great!

I was next in line for TBL (after a 45 min wait) on Sat afternoon when the machine broke around 3:30... Three guys were playing the game before me and the balls just disappeared after one of their turns. The computer seemed to be having problems as it appeared to be glitchy and "spasming" up on the LCD. But, from what I could tell, the game played well and artistically it looks fantastic in person. I was really bummed not to have a chance to play it, especially after that wait, but the CoinTaker folks were really professional in how they handled everything. It was cool just to be able to see the game in person.

Overall, such a great show! Well done to all involved and a huge thank you to all of the exhibitors, guest speakers, and volunteers!

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Matt (noahs_arcade) is going to hook me up with one, because he's awesome. Thanks Matt!

1 week later
    #50 4 years ago

"Apparently Pat was going to remove a feature for cost reasons and Jack said leave it in."

Wow so used to hearing the opposite. I hope his game will be amazing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.95
    $ 89.99
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 9.95
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside