(Topic ID: 312450)

Texas Pinball Festival 2022: Post Your Pics, Experiences & Reviews!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 437 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9072 (resized).JPG
    8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg
    38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg
    20220401_104537 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104417 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101253 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101242 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101231 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101216 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101156 (resized).jpg
    5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg
    2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png
    9e9[1] (resized).png
    D773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpeg
    A2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpeg
    9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

So how was Weird Al? Fun? Boring? Hard? Easy?

Insanely deep, complex, unique due to the P3 platform’s video capabilities and the awesome new servo scoop/walls. The cross playfield ramp return really makes the game feel like a “full” machine, and wow there are so many modes. The spiral ramp that goes UP is amazing.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from ChipScott:

So, how does one then justify $100 less for a game at a show (especially at today's MSRP prices)? I don't know what the right answer is, well maybe I do, but I just thought I would share that thought process, because I know I would rather pay close to MSRP for a HUO well-maintained game but for myself, I would never agree to purchase a show game, at least not at that very minor discount.

How does the manufacturer/seller justify? Or a buyer? For the manufacturers, the answer is: "because people will still buy them." For the buyer, it's "because they want the game that bad"

#221 2 years ago

I flew in from D.C. on Friday and went 2 of the 3 days. I was really happy with what was there, both new games and old, including the AWESOME mirror universe Bally ST (I see you Zitt !)

I don’t know what the show has been like in past years but it blew away in terms of games what I’m used to.

#304 2 years ago
    Quoted from SirSnarf:

Our Weird Al SE had over 600 plays from Fri-Sun. Don't have stats on the rest of the game floor, but WAM had a line 20-40min deep the entire show (even till we had to shut down at 2am sat) so hopefully that gives you an idea of how much play all the machines recieved

Can confirm. That line never got shorter. SirSnarf had to turn away scads of people just to get the machines off the floor for MM's seminar

#309 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

This dick-swinging us vs. them, include vs. exclude tribalism is distressing to see. The point of an excellent show is that all should be welcome, and there is something for everyone.
    The first show I ever attended in 2015 was local, and I had such a great time as an attendee and newbie pin owner that I resolved to try and bring my own the next year. I wanted to contribute to the experience I was so graciously allowed to participate in. I had NO IDEA what I was doing, or was ultimately in for, but the veterans welcomed me with open arms. In 2016 I brought one game; since then I have brought two each time. And I feel silly that I can't easily bring more even though I live close - but I bring what I can.
    And I'm sorry, but this talk about "waah my NIB Stern cost too much $$ to bring" is total bull crap. I wonder how many of those people saying that, are the same ones bemoaning the objective LACK of recent Sterns at this show?? Hmm...
    I admit my games generally aren't as valuable in raw$$ as the come-lately NIB crowd will fret about. BUT to me they are every bit as precious, and dare I say irreplaceable. From the wrecked BadCats my (no longer little) girls and I completely restored to like-new and repainted with custom pf touches; to the TimeFantasy I repainted and reworked with a hidden blacklight UV mode achievement; to one of the <10 stateside Whirlwind rewrite betas... every time I load one into my van and take off on the drive, I briefly wonder if it could be the last time and why am I taking the risk?
    I take the risk because bringing them to share has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It has brought enduring rewards of recognition (both subtle and not-so-subtle), friendships, the smiles I see on complete strangers' faces, and new and random challenges and opportunities. That BadCats actually got my girls on I on the national news (!?). TimeFantasy UV won an award, became a show sizzle reel highlight AND won personal accolades from Brian Eddy (who coincidentally revealed StrnThgs' hidden UV mode *after* mine was teased, go figure!). The Whirlwind beta obtained invaluable debugging data for the ongoing coding dev effort.
    Even something as "lowly" as a mere Firepower to you, was something I brought to just my second effort, to see if my full circuit-board and playfield insert shotgunning workmanship was up to the tasks of surviving it. When it did, I was encouraged to try bigger and better things. (Of course it had its hiccups along the way, but people stepped in to assist. Which I have paid forward by constantly being sought to fix other people's games during shows, haha).
    The point is I'm a nobody, and my collection ain't shit. But it's worth a ton to me, yet I do what I can.
    And that's nothing compared to homebrewers and re-themers: ask how much blood, sweat, time, and stress they have in their projects and they'll blow your minds even *before* they tally the dollar figure for parts, if they even dared to keep track. And yet they bring them to shows and let them get played - to their possible peril - anyway!
    All because I (and I dare speak for the homebrew crowd, they) have been thanked countless times for sharing these games, and forge many friendships and invitations as a result - even for the less-noteworthy games brought along. To me, that is far more valuable than the "invoice price" of a NIB game.
    So do what you can!
    And if that still means just showing up to pay and play and buy stuff, that's fine too. That was me the first year, and would have been me the next years if, say, I only had a car and not my beloved POS Aerostar barely up to the task of hauling games haha. Or I still had a job that wouldn't allow me to even think of time off to set up. Schedules and logistics mean it's not always feasible to bring stuff. So if you can't bring stuff, thank those who do, no matter WHAT they brought (provided it was working or at least trying).
    But for god's sake don't dare come around a show thread to whine about how your games are too much money to bring to a show. Waa waa waa what a bullshit selfish humblebrag, I'm sure if you have a collector car it must stay in the garage forever too (sorry Levi I couldn't resist). If everyone had that same piss-poor "not MY $$$ game!" attitude, there wouldn't be ANYTHING to play except the worn out things you'd also surely complain about. So GTFOH with that. Share what you can, or STFU and thank those who put in any effort at all.
    /rant
    /goddammit I hate being so effing wordy

I didnt' read all this, but I did catch that you bring games (thank you!) and you had a good time at the show. Great!

#312 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Just to be clear, I haven't made it to TPF yet (would love to, even as a guest! Not sure I could manage the time to drive games that far+back tho) but I've brought most of my collection to other shows near me whenever possible.

still good

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-2022-post-your-pics-experiences-amp-reviews?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.