(Topic ID: 312450)

Texas Pinball Festival 2022: Post Your Pics, Experiences & Reviews!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 437 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9072 (resized).JPG
    8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg
    38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg
    20220401_104537 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104417 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101253 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101242 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101231 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101216 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101156 (resized).jpg
    5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg
    2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png
    9e9[1] (resized).png
    D773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpeg
    A2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpeg
    9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpeg
    There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

When can we get a room

October

#352 2 years ago

TPF = best show in the country! Love seeing different games every time and new award winners... and the competition was fierce this year!

Was great to see "alla you peoples" in person again after three years. That's always the best part. Already looking forward to 2023!

#353 2 years ago

I remember the first show I went to. All I wanted to play was MM. I kept looking at the game lineup and one was never listed. I made a remark about all the shit games on the list but not the one I wanted. I caught all kinds of hell on that one but I deserved it. Only like 20 years ago.

#354 2 years ago

I thought it was a great show.

It was maybe short a few games but I think a lot of people forget that with the tournament area gone from the main ballroom, that space is now held by free to play games. If that area was still the tournament area, the show floor would have been much more crowded.

People complain about too many older games being there but I welcome it. With my first years attending, I looked forward to playing a lot of those for the first time as I did not grow up in some of those eras and had never seen them in person. I imagine newer people to the hobby feel the same way.

Thursday load in seemed quicker and smoother this year. Load out was the same. A few hours post show, most games were gone or moved to the back door.

It was crowded but most lines weren't that bad. I got to play way more Saturday than usual. The newest games always have the roughest lines and I don't see that ever changing.

I was looking forward to the vendor only time on Saturday night but my body shut down and told me hell no.

I also got covid that weekend. That's the only negative.

#355 2 years ago

I just spilled my drink laughing out loud.

Quoted from NPO:

Holy cow. Great thread for learning who to add to my ignore list. Good gosh, all mighty - some of the attitudes here...

#356 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinup:

I was also a little surprised at the lack of more recent A list games (Met, AC/DC, Deadpool, MM remake, etc.), but I guess people aren't bringing their HUO machines out. I didn't so I can't fault anyone for that.

with the prices we are paying for these games nowadays, nobody wants to bring their 7-12k machine out to be beat on for 500 plays. it's only going to get worse for the shows.

#357 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I remember the first show I went to. All I wanted to play was MM. on apt looking at the game lineup and one was never listed. I made a remark about all the shit games on the list but not the one I wanted. I caught all kinds of hell on that one but I deserved it. Only like 20 years ago.

This was a regular thing 20 years ago…we had one issue voters who were only interested in MM and couldn’t believe they cost $4000 and this was a rich man’s hobby!

Glad you came around !

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from bjones:

I also got covid that weekend. That's the only negative.

You aren’t the only one. I know of several folks who said the same thing, and I’ve heard about several more.

As far as I can tell, it’s the only post-2020 show or tournament where this has happened, but of course it’s all anecdotal regardless and we’ll never really know.

#360 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This was a regular thing 20 years ago…we had one issue voters who were only interested in MM and couldn’t believe they cost $4000 and this was a rich man’s hobby!
    Glad you came around !

I finally got one and I still love it after all these years.

#361 2 years ago

I had two days where I was knocked on my ass, but back feeling like a regular human again. My doc has me on a steady diet of big Macs and Dr Pepper so that should help.

#362 2 years ago
    38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg
    #363 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You aren’t the only one. I know of several folks who said the same thing, and I’ve heard about several more.
    As far as I can tell, it’s the only post-2020 show or tournament where this has happened, but of course it’s all anecdotal regardless and we’ll never really know.

I've heard of several covid cases too. I took two tests and I came out ok, but to be honest I didn't spend much time at the show.

#364 2 years ago

This is the first year I went to TPF.
    I had a good time Saturday.
    However, I have to say I love the atmosphere of Houston arcade and pinball expo better.
    I probably will get down voted for my opinion but that's just the way I feel.

#365 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

However, I have to say I love the atmosphere of Houston arcade and pinball expo better.

Well...you certainly can't beat the commute.

#366 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:This is the first year I went to TPF.

The Houston show is a good show and you have a right to your opinion, there is no right or wrong in this case. The Houston show has gotten bigger but it still has more vids than pins and a lot of stuff for sale. I havnt been in a long time and then there was two years of covid and this year I think you still had to wear a mask.

#367 2 years ago

I had a blast other than catching COVID for the first time as well. This was my first show to attend and I loved it. Seeing and playing all the different era machines really got me wanting to tear into my projects at the house. I plan on bringing at least two games next year.

I got to meet a couple of you and that was great too. As a newcomer to this hobby, it’s nice to have the community we do with so many people willing to help.

#368 2 years ago

I was vaccinated and boosted (boosted 2wks before Houston show last year - very few (including myself) wore masks)... :knocking on wood: I haven't had any symptoms yet from TPF.
    Hope I dodged it this time.

#369 2 years ago

As annoying as it was wearing the mask I managed to keep it on the whole time at TPF. Plus a bucket of hand sanitizer Feeling fine so far…..

8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg

#370 2 years ago

WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I flew thousands of miles for it and wish it was next week.

Loads of old buddies to catch up with INCLUDING DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK

There was loads of fantastic games to play.

An amazing tournament with some amazing play!

Twipies!

Hard 8!

JJ's late night party!

All the AMAZING vendors!

all the brilliant games that people took to the show!

THE AMAZING CGC seminar!!!! BUTCH IS THE MAN!

Mirco the amazing cock of stupidity!

MIKE VINIKOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!

RANDY THE STAR WARS CARTOON SUPERSTAR!

FUCKING DOCTOR WHO WAS THERE!

IMOTO and JACK!

JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING!

DON'T CHANGE THE VENUE

I tried to bring a game but I couldn't get it on carryon!

Cheers,
    Neil.

#371 2 years ago

Yea, Covid - it’s out there. Let’s not derail the thread.

Back on topic - is it just me or are there others out there that spend WAY too much money on pinball merch they don’t need while at the show?

I don’t buy it

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

WHAT AN AMAZING SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    I flew thousands of miles for it and wish it was next week.
    Loads of old buddies to catch up with INCLUDING DICK DICK DICK DICK DICK
    There was loads of fantastic games to play.
    An amazing tournament with some amazing play!
    Twipies!
    Hard 8!
    JJ's late night party!
    All the AMAZING vendors!
    all the brilliant games that people took to the show!
    THE AMAZING CGC seminar!!!! BUTCH IS THE MAN!
    Mirco the amazing cock of stupidity!
    MIKE VINIKOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RANDY THE STAR WARS CARTOON SUPERSTAR!
    FUCKING DOCTOR WHO WAS THERE!
    IMOTO and JACK!
    JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING JUST AMAZING!
    DON'T CHANGE THE VENUE
    I tried to bring a game but I couldn't get it on carryon!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Wish I could upvote this twice! I felt the same - it’s my favorite weekend of the year!

#372 2 years ago

I was at TPF for the first time and it must be 20 years since I was at my last pinball show.

I went Sunday, hoping to avoid the crowds. Still pretty busy on Sunday but manageable.

I had such a great time and I thought the entrance fee was a bargain, considering how much fun I had!

I'm in my mid 70's and can't haul machines around any more but I am grateful to those who did bring machines.

Roger

#373 2 years ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

This is the first year I went to TPF.

How could TPF compete with that RAZA reveal ?

#374 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How could TPF compete with that RAZA reveal ?

Truth right? I played it. It actually wasn't that bad of a game.

I brought my Alien Pinball to it last November. One of the first 50 in the United States.

#376 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

I've heard of several covid cases too. I took two tests and I came out ok, but to be honest I didn't spend much time at the show.

The rapid tests have a false negative rate of about 40% and aren't really reliable until around day 5 after infection (which is also when you start to show symptoms). Unfortunately you are contagious and throwing off virus after day 3. This is not explained well to the general public AT ALL.

#377 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

The rapid tests have a false negative rate of about 40% and aren't really reliable until around day 5 of infection (which is also when you start to show symptoms). Unfortunately you are contagious and throwing off virus after day 3. This is not explained well to the general public AT ALL.

You tell em’ Doc

#378 2 years ago

This is basic knowledge. It's just not communicated well AT ALL to the general public.

Knowledge is power.

...I prefer "Monk."

#379 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This is basic knowledge. It's just not communicated well AT ALL to the general public.
    Knowledge is power.

...I prefer "Monk."

Yeah I know. I have weird humor that only I find funny. That being said, you’re definitely not a monk either.

#380 2 years ago
    Quoted from Green-Machine:

Yeah I know. I have weird humor that only I find funny. That being said, you’re definitely not a monk either.

No kidding.

#381 2 years ago

I’ll never kid again!

#383 2 years ago

Congrats to Raymond Davidson for winning the A Division tournament.

Also, I didn't know Joe Balcer was there. Did anyone get to talk to him to see what happened with his "there and gone" Homepin gig and where he is now?

#384 2 years ago

Wife and I also got covid at the show

#385 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I prefer "Monk."

Loved your television show. I still watch it in reruns.
    And with your handi wipes compulsion on the show, no way you catch Covid.

#386 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Masked (double masked?) while indoors or no?

BA2 is REALLY contagious. 75% more contagious than Omicron, which was already compared to measles, one of the most contagious airborne-transmission diseases out there.

#387 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery.

I won't be attending large group gatherings again for quite a while.

#388 2 years ago

Thanks to the organizers for putting on a great show. This was my first pinball expo aside from Super Magfest in Maryland. Just so happened to be traveling around Dallas at the right time. It was thrilling to play on a lot of old favorites an discover some new pins. Learned a ton too!

#390 2 years ago

Oh boy, here we go...

#392 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, I've been attending since it was a little local show. While it's cool that they have been able to make it into such a big deal, it's also a little sad.
    This year there were far more people than machines, meaning that virtually every machine had a line. And a big chunk of the games were either turned off, or had no credits on them.
    Having lots of vendors is great, but I really only got to play a handful of games all day (and didn't get to play a lot of the ones I was hoping to - as those had especially long lines).
    On top of that, you couldn't even play in a tournament unless you signed up a long time ago. I'm not sure how to fix these problems but it seems to get worse each time.
    I'm glad I went, and will most likely attend next year as well, but each time it seems like I enjoy it less.

suggestion, bring a game as an exhibitor, spend more one on one time with other exhibitors and get into the special exhibitors only party.

#393 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

The following is not meant as an antagonistic argument.
    I’m local and have 5 games, some that weren’t at TPF this year (LOTR, TZ). At least I didn’t see them. Given how money driven this hobby has become, I don’t feel the desire to “do my part” for free or a small token.
    The way these machines have appreciated, a free ticket isn’t enough incentive for me to go through the effort and risk bringing them. This is a hobby (nowadays), where there’s enough demand for out of production machines to command serious money ($20k for a nice IJ, more for JJPPOTC etc.) and people expect top dollar (nothing wrong but don’t expect free loaners for a show).
    The show was absolutely packed and revenue must’ve been huge (given the ticket prices) so at a minimum I’d expect the organizers to pick up, set up, take down, return and insure my machines. It’s not an altruistic hobby anymore but the domain of people with a lot of disposable cash so why expect effectively free loaners?

you can certainly look at this that your game is just an investment. Those of us who chose to restore to the best of our ability and share our games are in the secret exhibitor club..."It's our show", the value is "priceless", to most. It includes early access and new life time friends made during set up with a much time spent with designers, artist and tuning all the games. sometimes you also find out about that one rare part you needed, way before it was even going to make it to the swap meet .....

#394 2 years ago

I was at the swap meet about 15 min after it was scheduled to start and folks were already packing up. What time did it really start?

#395 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I was at the swap meet about 15 min after it was scheduled to start and folks were already packing up. What time did it really start?

Unofficially 6am. I had heard that people start setting up early and that some people are out looking for deals. I set up by 6:15 and had most sold before sun up. It was crazy. I was one of those who packed it in by 9 or so. There is talk of an earlier official start time next year but we shall see.

#396 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Best wishes for a smooth and uneventful recovery.
    I won't be attending large group gatherings again for quite a while.

Thanks. The last 5 days have been no joke. Just now starting to feel a little better. I hope the others who caught it also recover without issues. Only positive so far is being able to shed some unwanted poundage before beach season from having no appetite or energy to eat.

I also went down to the swap meet at around 10 and it was long done by that time.

#397 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We didn't get COVID as our tests came back negative, but my family did end up with a nasty case of flu. It was worse then the bout of COVID I did have previously.

#398 2 years ago

No COVID, but I had a vicious cold. First time I’ve been sick in two years. It was worth it, though.

#399 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

No COVID, but I had a vicious cold. First time I’ve been sick in two years. It was worth it, though.

I believe Dennis from EGP said he got sick as well, not COVID. He called it “Con Crud”.

Anytime you go to a big convention with people from multiple areas in a confined space and touching pinball machines infections will happen.

#400 2 years ago

I used to get con crud every. single. year. at Chicago expo. 2021 was the first time I can recall dodging it. KN95 for the win?

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-2022-post-your-pics-experiences-amp-reviews/page/8?hl=hoteldrummer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.