(Topic ID: 312450)

Texas Pinball Festival 2022: Post Your Pics, Experiences & Reviews!

By solarvalue

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 437 posts
  • 154 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9072 (resized).JPG
    8CAA95A9-FDD0-4844-A679-64C6C2FB2596 (resized).jpeg
    38BFB62C-5E53-4E09-9F63-83330501BEA1 (resized).jpeg
    20220401_104537 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104417 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101253 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101242 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101231 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101216 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101156 (resized).jpg
    5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg
    2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png
    9e9[1] (resized).png
    D773297F-59E3-466E-822E-566CD6105E21 (resized).jpeg
    A2A68E61-162B-47FB-B1B7-D06B95EBCF6D (resized).jpeg
    9C630912-324C-426C-A1C3-315C8EA0F8A4 (resized).jpeg
    There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 2 years ago

Thank You to the Gamebringers, without you theres no show, i do support locally but cant fly with a pinball machine, but if any of the Texas supporter want to come to pinfest or pintastic i will gladly share my games with you. Thanks Again it was a great show

#302 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

yep, support shows all that you can. I hauled two games the 700+ miles each way to TPF. As for taking expensive games to the show, its a little more nerve reckoning, but very satisfying. When i took Krull to expo (and was scheduled to bring to tpf 2020) i was nervous, but the people loved it so much that it was worth it

Took BBB to Chicago Expo twice... thing was built well and ran great. After post-show cleanup it still looked HUO. Rick and Morty was among the 2021 Pincinnati games I brought. But that's nothing.. at this point with pricing I'd say Larry and Phoebe are close to hauling $100K+ worth of games to Pincinnati.

The reward is one kickass local show. Worth it.

#303 2 years ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

I agree if this behavior is intentional. However, on some games that my daughter and I were trying to play a 2-player game on, it was not clear that the second push of the Start button was registered. Nothing obvious showed on the display to indicate 2 players, so I pushed Start again and ended up with 3 players. This happened on some of the P3 games and a couple others I can't remember. It was not intentional, but still happens.

Happened to me a couple of times. Part of the issue is that it so loud in the hall that you can't hear the player being added. While I don't like do it, my typical practice was to power the pin off then back on. I also get frustrated when I walk up to a game and plays have been abandoned. Again, I typically just do a power cycle unless it is only one or two balls then I drain them and start a game.

As those who attended know there are all sorts of people at TPF, including those who probably don't own a pin or know much about it (the show is advertised some locally and the local sports radio station does a broadcast from there on Friday). I don't expect everyone to know pinball etiquette, and I've even had to show people how multi-player games work at the show before.

#304 2 years ago
    Quoted from SirSnarf:

Our Weird Al SE had over 600 plays from Fri-Sun. Don't have stats on the rest of the game floor, but WAM had a line 20-40min deep the entire show (even till we had to shut down at 2am sat) so hopefully that gives you an idea of how much play all the machines recieved

Can confirm. That line never got shorter. SirSnarf had to turn away scads of people just to get the machines off the floor for MM's seminar

#305 2 years ago

This dick-swinging us vs. them, include vs. exclude tribalism is distressing to see. The point of an excellent show is that all should be welcome, and there is something for everyone.

The first show I ever attended in 2015 was local, and I had such a great time as an attendee and newbie pin owner that I resolved to try and bring my own the next year. I wanted to contribute to the experience I was so graciously allowed to participate in. I had NO IDEA what I was doing, or was ultimately in for, but the veterans welcomed me with open arms. In 2016 I brought one game; since then I have brought two each time. And I feel silly that I can't easily bring more even though I live close - but I bring what I can.

And I'm sorry, but this talk about "waah my NIB Stern cost too much $$ to bring" is total bull crap. I wonder how many of those people saying that, are the same ones bemoaning the objective LACK of recent Sterns at this show?? Hmm...

I admit my games generally aren't as valuable in raw$$ as the come-lately NIB crowd will fret about. BUT to me they are every bit as precious, and dare I say irreplaceable. From the wrecked BadCats my (no longer little) girls and I completely restored to like-new and repainted with custom pf touches; to the TimeFantasy I repainted and reworked with a hidden blacklight UV mode achievement; to one of the <10 stateside Whirlwind rewrite betas... every time I load one into my van and take off on the drive, I briefly wonder if it could be the last time and why am I taking the risk?

I take the risk because bringing them to share has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It has brought enduring rewards of recognition (both subtle and not-so-subtle), friendships, the smiles I see on complete strangers' faces, and new and random challenges and opportunities. That BadCats actually got my girls on I on the national news (!?). TimeFantasy UV won an award, became a show sizzle reel highlight AND won personal accolades from Brian Eddy (who coincidentally revealed StrnThgs' hidden UV mode *after* mine was teased, go figure!). The Whirlwind beta obtained invaluable debugging data for the ongoing coding dev effort.

Even something as "lowly" as a mere Firepower to you, was something I brought to just my second effort, to see if my full circuit-board and playfield insert shotgunning workmanship was up to the tasks of surviving it. When it did, I was encouraged to try bigger and better things. (Of course it had its hiccups along the way, but people stepped in to assist. Which I have paid forward by constantly being sought to fix other people's games during shows, haha).

The point is I'm a nobody, and my collection ain't shit. But it's worth a ton to me, yet I do what I can.

And that's nothing compared to homebrewers and re-themers: ask how much blood, sweat, time, and stress they have in their projects and they'll blow your minds even *before* they tally the dollar figure for parts, if they even dared to keep track. And yet they bring them to shows and let them get played - to their possible peril - anyway!

All because I (and I dare speak for the homebrew crowd, they) have been thanked countless times for sharing these games, and forge many friendships and invitations as a result - even for the less-noteworthy games brought along. To me, that is far more valuable than the "invoice price" of a NIB game.

So do what you can!

And if that still means just showing up to pay and play and buy stuff, that's fine too. That was me the first year, and would have been me the next years if, say, I only had a car and not my beloved POS Aerostar barely up to the task of hauling games haha. Or I still had a job that wouldn't allow me to even think of time off to set up. Schedules and logistics mean it's not always feasible to bring stuff. So if you can't bring stuff, thank those who do, no matter WHAT they brought (provided it was working or at least trying).

But for god's sake don't dare come around a show thread to whine about how your games are too much money to bring to a show. Waa waa waa what a bullshit selfish humblebrag, I'm sure if you have a collector car it must stay in the garage forever too (sorry Levi I couldn't resist). If everyone had that same piss-poor "not MY $$$ game!" attitude, there wouldn't be ANYTHING to play except the worn out things you'd also surely complain about. So GTFOH with that. Share what you can, or STFU and thank those who put in any effort at all.

/rant

/goddammit I hate being so effing wordy

#306 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

So did any of you get to visit the National Videogame Museum?

I did, and I loved it. Also got my name on the high score list they have posted in front of arcade.

#307 2 years ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

I did, and I loved it. Also got my name on the high score list they have posted in front of arcade.

Glad you liked it. I know some of the guys that run the place. They actually have my old Game Boy development system on display in one of their cases.

#308 2 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

This dick-swinging us vs. them, include vs. exclude tribalism is distressing to see. The point of an excellent show is that all should be welcome, and there is something for everyone.

If everyone had that same piss-poor "not MY $$$ game!" attitude, there wouldn't be ANYTHING to play except the worn out things you'd also surely complain about. So GTFOH with that. Share what you can, or STFU and thank those who put in any effort at all.

Wow, that sure covered the whole gamut...went from "something for everyone" to GTFOH and STFU.

So am I part of the "all should be welcome" group or am I part of the "GTFOH and STFU" group?

#309 2 years ago

The first show I ever attended in 2015 was local, and I had such a great time as an attendee and newbie pin owner that I resolved to try and bring my own the next year. I wanted to contribute to the experience I was so graciously allowed to participate in. I had NO IDEA what I was doing, or was ultimately in for, but the veterans welcomed me with open arms. In 2016 I brought one game; since then I have brought two each time. And I feel silly that I can't easily bring more even though I live close - but I bring what I can.
    And I'm sorry, but this talk about "waah my NIB Stern cost too much $$ to bring" is total bull crap. I wonder how many of those people saying that, are the same ones bemoaning the objective LACK of recent Sterns at this show?? Hmm...
    I admit my games generally aren't as valuable in raw$$ as the come-lately NIB crowd will fret about. BUT to me they are every bit as precious, and dare I say irreplaceable. From the wrecked BadCats my (no longer little) girls and I completely restored to like-new and repainted with custom pf touches; to the TimeFantasy I repainted and reworked with a hidden blacklight UV mode achievement; to one of the <10 stateside Whirlwind rewrite betas... every time I load one into my van and take off on the drive, I briefly wonder if it could be the last time and why am I taking the risk?
    I take the risk because bringing them to share has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. It has brought enduring rewards of recognition (both subtle and not-so-subtle), friendships, the smiles I see on complete strangers' faces, and new and random challenges and opportunities. That BadCats actually got my girls on I on the national news (!?). TimeFantasy UV won an award, became a show sizzle reel highlight AND won personal accolades from Brian Eddy (who coincidentally revealed StrnThgs' hidden UV mode *after* mine was teased, go figure!). The Whirlwind beta obtained invaluable debugging data for the ongoing coding dev effort.
    Even something as "lowly" as a mere Firepower to you, was something I brought to just my second effort, to see if my full circuit-board and playfield insert shotgunning workmanship was up to the tasks of surviving it. When it did, I was encouraged to try bigger and better things. (Of course it had its hiccups along the way, but people stepped in to assist. Which I have paid forward by constantly being sought to fix other people's games during shows, haha).
    The point is I'm a nobody, and my collection ain't shit. But it's worth a ton to me, yet I do what I can.
    And that's nothing compared to homebrewers and re-themers: ask how much blood, sweat, time, and stress they have in their projects and they'll blow your minds even *before* they tally the dollar figure for parts, if they even dared to keep track. And yet they bring them to shows and let them get played - to their possible peril - anyway!
    All because I (and I dare speak for the homebrew crowd, they) have been thanked countless times for sharing these games, and forge many friendships and invitations as a result - even for the less-noteworthy games brought along. To me, that is far more valuable than the "invoice price" of a NIB game.
    So do what you can!
    And if that still means just showing up to pay and play and buy stuff, that's fine too. That was me the first year, and would have been me the next years if, say, I only had a car and not my beloved POS Aerostar barely up to the task of hauling games haha. Or I still had a job that wouldn't allow me to even think of time off to set up. Schedules and logistics mean it's not always feasible to bring stuff. So if you can't bring stuff, thank those who do, no matter WHAT they brought (provided it was working or at least trying).
    But for god's sake don't dare come around a show thread to whine about how your games are too much money to bring to a show. Waa waa waa what a bullshit selfish humblebrag, I'm sure if you have a collector car it must stay in the garage forever too (sorry Levi I couldn't resist). If everyone had that same piss-poor "not MY $$$ game!" attitude, there wouldn't be ANYTHING to play except the worn out things you'd also surely complain about. So GTFOH with that. Share what you can, or STFU and thank those who put in any effort at all.
    /rant
    /goddammit I hate being so effing wordy

I didnt' read all this, but I did catch that you bring games (thank you!) and you had a good time at the show. Great!

#310 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Wow, that sure covered the whole gamut...went from "something for everyone" to GTFOH and STFU.
    So am I part of the "all should be welcome" group or am I part of the "GTFOH and STFU" group?

It was wordy, and a bit of both, so I'll summarize:

- From an organizers' perspective, it does no good to be us/them, as in a show for "people who bring stuff only" or "industry only". A trade show is one thing. But a public show should be open to all with (hopefully) something for everyone: stuff that appeals to hobby vets, and stuff that appeals to the public at large. There's a wide swath of possibilities therein!

- From an attendee's perspective, is the right to voice complaints or things you wish might have been better. A good show will work to address those where possible! But it's the height of arrogant entitled hypocrisy to say you have games and could bring them, but won't because "valuable" and fear of expense and risk, etc. If that's your view then STFU and GTFO because if everyone acted that way there would be NO SHOW in the first place, full stop.

I guarantee that however valuable your whatever machine might be, someone somewhere has brought something MORE valuable to a show, and probably does so routinely.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I didnt' read all this, but I did catch that you bring games (thank you!) and you had a good time at the show. Great!

Just to be clear, I haven't made it to TPF yet (would love to, even as a guest! Not sure I could manage the time to drive games that far+back tho) but I've brought most of my collection to other shows near me whenever possible.

#311 2 years ago

- From an attendee's perspective, is the right to voice complaints or things you wish might have been better. A good show will work to address those where possible! But it's the height of arrogant entitled hypocrisy to say you have games and could bring them, but won't because "valuable" and fear of expense and risk, etc. If that's your view then STFU and GTFO because if everyone acted that way there would be NO SHOW in the first place, full stop.
    I guarantee that however valuable your whatever machine might be, someone somewhere has brought something MORE valuable to a show, and probably does so routinely.

Well, I'm still confused.
    Are you saying that if I don't own any machines, I'd be welcome, but if I do own some and don't bring them (due to some combination of cost/fear/inconvenience/unsuitability) then I'm not welcome?
    Suppose I sell my machines, would I be welcome again, or have I missed my chance now?

It's my position that attendees should be welcome regardless of their ownership status. Those who want to bring machines (and be rewarded for it) are welcome to do so. Those who can't/don't/won't are still welcome but have to pay for entry.

And all of those should be able to express their opinions on how the show went for them.

I resent the implication that I am some sort of freeloader and didn't support the show. I have supported it every year - with CASH. If the show didn't want that kind of support, then why are they selling tickets?

#312 2 years ago

Just to be clear, I haven't made it to TPF yet (would love to, even as a guest! Not sure I could manage the time to drive games that far+back tho) but I've brought most of my collection to other shows near me whenever possible.

still good

#313 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Maybe I am trying to shame people who complain... because those complaints are utter bullshit.

I'm within my right to request that you not attend our show.

First, you tried to shame me directly, even though I praised the show on this thread and I didn’t complain about the show.

So don’t lie that you just try to shame people who complain.

I didn’t complain, I just wrote my thoughts about bringing games to a commercial show like TPF and it’s pretty awful of you to launch a rude personal attack after I just stated my opinion about an aspect. Which was not a complaint.

What a bizarre reaction of yours.

And second, you can request all you want but unless you are in charge, it’s *NOT* *YOUR* show. So what’s that ridiculous line “It’s within my right to request that you not attend OUR (emphasis mine) show”??? So you think TPF is *YOUR* show LOL WTF?!

As long as TPF or any other show only requires I pay for a ticket to attend that’s all that is required, no matter if you like it or not.

#314 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

it’s *NOT* *YOUR* show

It is my show... because I take ownership and bring *working* games to the show.

I'll continue to call you and people like mbeardsley out.
    Yes; in my book you both are free loaders who do nothing but throw money at the show. You aren't an asset to the community and are just a consumer. My opinion; and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. Stop being butt hurt that I'm calling out out specifically and move on.

I mean seriously; my opinion of you or the "paying public" shouldn't offend you or anyone you know.
    I wouldn't go to your local show and tell you how to run it... you should come here and get offended that I don't consider you to be an asset to the show.

It you want proof of how shitty the paying public is... go attend Chicago Expo with the intent of playing other peoples' machines. The community there is made up of two types:
    1) Same ratted out, non working games that are there every year for the sole purpose of getting access to the show.
    2) Same "pay to attend" people who bring nothing to the show except dollars.
    I attended ONE YEAR with my Star Trek: Mirror Universe and the free play area was garbage. Maybe 20 machines all worthless and in various states of horror.
    Each year it gets worse; to the point where no one attends because no one cares.
    I don't want this happening to MY SHOW.

That said; I wave the white flag and won't respond to any more "i resent the implication" type responses.

I agree we need people to pay for tickets. Anything else would mean the venue doesn't get paid. I agree that balance is needed. That said; bitching about the way the show is run... or what games may or may not be there is just disrespectful to the people who actually do put forth an effort. That is simply the point I was trying to make.

#315 2 years ago

The complaints about these shows are always the same

The most popular games have long lines
    too many broken games
    It's noisy
    Games cost too much
    people fart too much

These are "problems" that are virtually impossible to "fix." It's a pinball show. The above are always going to part of a pinball show. If you can't handle this stuff, you probably shouldn't attend pinball shows.

#316 2 years ago

I took my BBB to Texas Pinball a few years back. Managed to survive the trip with a lot more plays than it started but little else to report. I've brought games most years, sometimes multiple (I think I topped out at six one year) and skipped some. I would have skipped this year if not for the help of a buddy who could bring a game, as I now own two of the largest SUVs I've ever owned (one a third row) and neither can hold a pinball machine. WTF? Poor planning on my part: there were margaritas involved before I stepped onto the dealer lot.

The issue for me is that at this point in my life, the free entry is worth very little. It is the smallest cost of the weekend, compared to the hotel, the meals out, the rare beer I drink or the pinball parts that I spend my money on. I rarely am up late enough (or early enough) to enjoy the exhibitor time, and the swag bag has gotten thinning and thinner each year. The pain of hauling a game and the cost in added gas or a trailer is much greater than my perceived value of free entry and the swag bag. Also, when everyone else bails out of the show at 3 p.m., I'm left there for another 45 minutes of load out. That's an additional 45 minutes to a five-hour drive. This year, I was so burnt out by the end of the show that I nearly threw a for sale sign on the game just to avoid dealing with it.

I understand games are required, and for the show to succeed more people need to bring them. My little part makes for one more reason that TPF is a great show. But the "perks" of being an exhibitor don't come anywhere near making up the costs needed in additional fuel and/or trailer rental, sweat equity, time shopping out the machine, time spent cleaning/tweaking the game during the show, and the additional time setting up and breaking down the game. Pinball is fun, but all that stuff is not fun. Not fun at all.

I'm not sure what the solution is. In marketing speak, it's probably segmentation and branding -- do something that costs the show promoter very little but adds to the perceived value of the exhibitor. Different exhibitor tags, a VIP room, expanded exhibitor-only hours, a limited t-shirt, meal coupons, or something as simple as a hand-written thank you card. Who knows? Think outside the box, but something along those lines. Maybe an exhibitor only party at the NVM on Thursday or Friday with free drinks, strippers, and bags of cocaine.

But perhaps that's beyond their budget....

I know I have 12 months to forget about my aching back and all the minor negatives. By December, I'll likely be excited to bring another game again.

Thanks to everyone who came to the show, whether you brought games or not. The older I get, it's more and more about the people who attend and the friends I've made and will make, and less and less about the games. See you in 2023.

Mike

Quoted from metallik:

Took BBB to Chicago Expo twice... thing was built well and ran great. After post-show cleanup it still looked HUO. Rick and Morty was among the 2021 Pincinnati games I brought. But that's nothing.. at this point with pricing I'd say Larry and Phoebe are close to hauling $100K+ worth of games to Pincinnati.
    The reward is one kickass local show. Worth it.

#317 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

I'm not sure what the solution is.

What if I told you there was a show that not only gave you free entry for the weekend, you had full access to the entire show one day in advance before it opens, a private VIP room with games and free food and booze all weekend. That and like 1000 thank yous. How does that sound?

#318 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What if I told you there was a show that not only gave you free entry for the weekend, you had full access to the entire show one day in advance before it opens, a private VIP room with games and free food and booze all weekend. That and like 1000 thank yous. How does that sound?

9e9[1] (resized).png9e9[1] (resized).png

#319 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

the "perks" of being an exhibitor don't come anywhere near making up the costs needed

I was a tournament director. Played one game of pinball the entire weekend.

My reward was seeing friends I hadn’t seen in three years and helping make a great weekend for them.

Totally worth it. See you again next year.

#320 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

It is my show... because I take ownership and bring *working* games to the show.
    I'll continue to call you and people like mbeardsley out.
    Yes; in my book you both are free loaders who do nothing but throw money at the show. You aren't an asset to the community and are just a consumer. My opinion; and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. Stop being butt hurt that I'm calling out out specifically and move on.
    I mean seriously; my opinion of you or the "paying public" shouldn't offend you or anyone you know.
    I wouldn't go to your local show and tell you how to run it... you should come here and get offended that I don't consider you to be an asset to the show.

Wow, well, I can play that game too.

What makes it YOUR show? You don't even live here. You come up from Austin, into MY neighborhood and come to MY show, and expect free entry.
    If you really wanted to support the show - you'd put your money into it, not just get the free benefits...

(see I can be as big a jerk as you - well, almost).

#321 2 years ago

.. but the veterans welcomed me with open arms. In 2016 I brought one game; since then I have brought two each time.

Tony, it is collectors like you that can really make a show special. And it wasn’t just one game in 2016, it was Space Shuttle! Just want to say thank you to you and your awesome family for all of the years you have supported LAX!

#322 2 years ago

You had me at a 1000 thank yous.

The VIP room may be a bit much. The Houston Show, which I know and love, has a VIP room and it resembles a crack den by day 1.5. Usually there is only a can of Dr. Pepper and a half eaten bottle of Cheetos left by then ...

Mike

Quoted from chuckwurt:

#323 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The complaints about these shows are always the same
    The most popular games have long lines
    too many broken games
    It's noisy
    Games cost too much
    people fart too much
    These are "problems" that are virtually impossible to "fix." It's a pinball show. The above are always going to part of a pinball show. If you can't handle this stuff, you probably shouldn't attend pinball shows.

Could we at least figure out why pinball people fart so much?

#324 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

You had me at a 1000 thank yous.
    The VIP room may be a bit much. The Houston Show, which I know and love, has a VIP room and it resembles a crack den by day 1.5. Usually there is only a can of Dr. Pepper and a half eaten bottle of Cheetos left by then ...
    Mike

I’ll take that under advisement. Glad the thank yous are appreciated.

Key is to restock, but it’s not easy with everything else going on.

Tricky part is with a VIP room you don’t want to be left with tons of leftovers.

#325 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Too much beans and dairy....... haha

With the covid break of public events I forgot how much public events in general stink!

#326 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Welcome to Texas. Have some good Tex-Mex and beans.

Big party at the Bavarian something other. Sausages & sauerkraut.

Fancy some good Texas BBQ? Have some beans with that.

What was the question?

#327 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Welcome to Texas. Have some good Tex-Mex and beans.
    Big party at the Bavarian something other. Sausages & sauerkraut.
    Fancy some good Texas BBQ? Have some beans with that.
    What was the question?

What goes good with Texas BBQ?

#328 2 years ago

Haha, this is just getting weird.

Oh, I actually only played Houdini, Oktoberfest, Legends of Valhalla, Hot Wheels, GnR, a Multimorphic game and the Cactus Canyon remake at TPF. That’s why I went there. To see and play potential new machines that I might buy.

Zero interest in the “get in for free” old pins. I got disgusted at all that greed, seeing these high prices that the “good” enthusiast want for their 90s games. LOL. The greeeeeed permeates this hobby it’s unreal.

For all I care, this show could only have businesses showing their new games and I can do just fine without these gold digging types who think they “own” this show because they haul their museum pieces there.

I am not in the market for a used game from these “pinball fans” who think they struck gold. I already have 3 Williams/Bally 90s “A” titles in perfect condition and two more modern games. That’s enough for me. And from reading this thread where some think they are doing the world a favor, attack me (and the VAST majority of visitors of that show who didn’t bring games or were there thousands of pins???) and feel all superior for it, I’d rather not see or touch their silly games haha!

#329 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Shiner

2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png2525-SHINER-BOCK-478x1024 (resized).png

#330 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg5E439144-B603-4CB7-AC4C-B0C9478003E7 (resized).jpeg
    #331 2 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

A nap

#332 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Oh, I actually only played Houdini, Oktoberfest, Legends of Valhalla, Hot Wheels, GnR, a Multimorphic game and the Cactus Canyon remake at TPF. That’s why I went there. To see and play potential new machines that I might buy.
    Zero interest in the “get in for free” old pins. I got disgusted at all that greed, seeing these high prices that the “good” enthusiast want for their 90s games. LOL. The greeeeeed permeates this hobby it’s unreal.
    For all I care, this show could only have businesses showing their new games and I can do just fine without these gold digging types who think they “own” this show because they haul their museum pieces there.
    I am not in the market for a used game from these “pinball fans” who think they struck gold. I already have 3 Williams/Bally 90s “A” titles in perfect condition and two more modern games. That’s enough for me. And from reading this thread where some think they are doing the world a favor, attack me (and the VAST majority of visitors of that show who didn’t bring games or were there thousands of pins???) and feel all superior for it, I’d rather not see or touch their silly games haha!

Sounds like what you’re looking for is a ‘distributor’.

-They only have new games
    -Open year-round instead of one weekend a year
    -No crowds
    -And no “greedy pinball fans”

#333 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

I took my BBB to Texas Pinball a few years back. Managed to survive the trip with a lot more plays than it started but little else to report. I've brought games most years, sometimes multiple (I think I topped out at six one year) and skipped some. I would have skipped this year if not for the help of a buddy who could bring a game, as I now own two of the largest SUVs I've ever owned (one a third row) and neither can hold a pinball machine. WTF? Poor planning on my part: there were margaritas involved before I stepped onto the dealer lot.
    The issue for me is that at this point in my life, the free entry is worth very little. It is the smallest cost of the weekend, compared to the hotel, the meals out, the rare beer I drink or the pinball parts that I spend my money on. I rarely am up late enough (or early enough) to enjoy the exhibitor time, and the swag bag has gotten thinning and thinner each year. The pain of hauling a game and the cost in added gas or a trailer is much greater than my perceived value of free entry and the swag bag. Also, when everyone else bails out of the show at 3 p.m., I'm left there for another 45 minutes of load out. That's an additional 45 minutes to a five-hour drive. This year, I was so burnt out by the end of the show that I nearly threw a for sale sign on the game just to avoid dealing with it.
    I understand games are required, and for the show to succeed more people need to bring them. My little part makes for one more reason that TPF is a great show. But the "perks" of being an exhibitor don't come anywhere near making up the costs needed in additional fuel and/or trailer rental, sweat equity, time shopping out the machine, time spent cleaning/tweaking the game during the show, and the additional time setting up and breaking down the game. Pinball is fun, but all that stuff is not fun. Not fun at all.
    I'm not sure what the solution is. In marketing speak, it's probably segmentation and branding -- do something that costs the show promoter very little but adds to the perceived value of the exhibitor. Different exhibitor tags, a VIP room, expanded exhibitor-only hours, a limited t-shirt, meal coupons, or something as simple as a hand-written thank you card. Who knows? Think outside the box, but something along those lines. Maybe an exhibitor only party at the NVM on Thursday or Friday with free drinks, strippers, and bags of cocaine.
    But perhaps that's beyond their budget....
    I know I have 12 months to forget about my aching back and all the minor negatives. By December, I'll likely be excited to bring another game again.
    Thanks to everyone who came to the show, whether you brought games or not. The older I get, it's more and more about the people who attend and the friends I've made and will make, and less and less about the games. See you in 2023.
    Mike

Thanks for bringing the games when you could, especially that BBB. That was very generous of you. Times and personal situations change for all of us. I appreciate that it’s not seeming like a good deal for you now, but those past contributions meant a lot to people.

Although I’ve been fortunate enough to bring games every year, I also have the luxury of friendly help with the process. I remember eagerly awaiting a chance to play a BBB at a show. Years later, I owned one and it was no big deal if I didn’t see it at a show. I’m rambling, but my real point is there will always be someone that benefits from your generosity and someone who understands when you are no longer able to bring a game.

#334 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

You are aware that different people like different things, right? I don’t have space for EMs and 80s games in my collection, but I absolutely love playing them at the show.

I bring games to the show every year - the compensation received is not “worth it” from a financial standpoint, but I enjoy sharing my games so that others can experience them. I have a price on them that some would consider high - but it’s not because I’m greedy - it’s because I don’t really want to sell them.

#335 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, I'm still confused

Well I don't know how to help you then, everyone else seems to get it.

Quoted from pinballj:

Tony, it is collectors like you that can really make a show special. And it wasn’t just one game in 2016, it was Space Shuttle! Just want to say thank you to you and your awesome family for all of the years you have supported LAX!

Jeremy, it's you and Matt and Corey and Joe who deserve the credit for starting and running it, along with groups like Cincy and others who do a heavy lift and welcome all. LAX is a magical time! The one weekend my whole family blocks off even though new/different school/work/life conflicts constantly try to eff it up for us each year (at least it's not the "worst possible weekend" like Pincinnati, whose crew maybe finally believes us haha).

As for Shuttle I'm still amazed how *everyone* kept saying I did "something" to it and I'm like... IDK? Thanks?! I mean if you think it looks and plays good I'm gratified cuz you should have seen it before, ha. (you can actually via my first post here in 2014).

Anyway I started a little tradition that year, turning the annual LAX lapel pin into a badge of honor. Oooooh, a PinBadge(TM)!. Hope to get one on all my keeper collection...

20220401_101156 (resized).jpg20220401_101156 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101242 (resized).jpg20220401_101242 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101216 (resized).jpg20220401_101216 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104537 (resized).jpg20220401_104537 (resized).jpg
    20220401_104417 (resized).jpg20220401_104417 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101231 (resized).jpg20220401_101231 (resized).jpg
    20220401_101253 (resized).jpg20220401_101253 (resized).jpg

But *ahem* back to TEXAS. I'd really love to make it there, it looks like an amazing time with lots of cool people. And I should, seeing as how it usually coincides with my birthday but, fam & life usually have other ideas then "phooey"

#336 2 years ago

Just getting back around to looking at anything arcade related after last weekend, needed to decompress. I have been exhibiting and going to TPF since the days in Arlington, where all the games were in a room smaller then the tournament waiting area

This year I brought 4 games. 2 pins, No Fear and Comet, and 2 video, DKJr Remix and Crystal Castles. I probably worked on the games more this year then I ever had before, replacing fuses, plunger sleeves, having Evan Smith finally go over my Comet to make sure nothing else wanted to break, etc. It is also the first year I ever had a catastrophic failure and had to turn a game off for the weekend. That was my wife's Crystal Castles which had the ARII board lose 5V. Most likely an easy fix but not without parts. I also had a huge setup for the swap meet selling a good bit of parts that hopefully go to get machines running and not collecting dust in my storage.

It was great to see the people I know. I kind of keep to myself a good bit but have made many acquaintances over the years. Had a great time playing games but I really enjoy seeing people play mine and enjoying them. Saw them in a few pictures and that always makes me happy. Not looking forward to setting everything back up, but by next year I should be ready to go again!

#337 2 years ago

I haven't made it to the Louisville show, but since I absolutely love your city and your proximity to bourbon, so I should make a point of being there soon. Also, I'm completely blown away by the Whirlwind conversion. As someone who has a whirlwind in my living room, I'd love to check it out some time. Hoping it will be the next 2.0 game from Pedretti. I also really like those LAX pins. A true badge of honor.

>>>> Jeremy, it's you and Matt and Corey and Joe who deserve the credit for starting and running it, along with groups like Cincy and others who do a heavy lift and welcome all. LAX is a magical time! The one weekend my whole family blocks off even though new/different school/work/life conflicts constantly try to eff it up for us each year (at least it's not the "worst possible weekend" like Pincinnati, whose crew maybe finally believes us haha).
    As for Shuttle I'm still amazed how *everyone* kept saying I did "something" to it and I'm like... IDK? Thanks?! I mean if you think it looks and plays good I'm gratified cuz you should have seen it before, ha. (you can actually via my first post here in 2014).
    Anyway I started a little tradition that year, turning the annual LAX lapel pin into a badge of honor. Oooooh, a PinBadge(TM)!. Hope to get one on all my keeper collection...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    But *ahem* back to TEXAS. I'd really love to make it there, it looks like an amazing time with lots of cool people. And I should, seeing as how it usually coincides with my birthday but, fam & life usually have other ideas then "phooey"

#338 2 years ago

Nothing Finer!

Do they still make the Bohemian Black down there? We could get it up here as an annual/seasonal release for a couple years, but I haven't seen it in the last few. That was one of my favorite beers ever. If you can get it more easily on home turf, I just might have to consider combining a Bandit run with TPF sometime

#339 2 years ago

Do they still make the Bohemian Black

https://shiner.com/beer/black
    If you can’t find it PM me. The brewery is close enough to me for a day trip.

#340 2 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

it’s because I don’t really want to sell them.

just the spitfire tho come on

#341 2 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

just the spitfire tho come on

Ha - the wife was very explicit during setup - “whatever amount you are thinking about selling them for, add $1000…and I’m still going to be mad if they sell”.

#342 2 years ago
    Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

So I brought the 2 cocktail pins (Caribbean Cruise and Night Moves) to represent the cocktail pin format and so my wife and I could have a weekend pass.

Thank you for bringing the Caribbean Cruise! My 15-year-old played that and loved it. I think the palette on that one really grabbed her. The leftmost flipper was shot (Sunday afternoon), but it was still a unique experience.

#343 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

You think this was bad; you'd have hated it when there was actually music over the pa system.

You just triggered my PTSD.

#344 2 years ago

Did they announce the dates for 2023?

#345 2 years ago
    Quoted from ita47:

Did they announce the dates for 2023?

March 24th to 26th 2023

#346 2 years ago
    Quoted from Seraph:

Thank you for bringing the Caribbean Cruise! My 15-year-old played that and loved it. I think the palette on that one really grabbed her. The leftmost flipper was shot (Sunday afternoon), but it was still a unique experience.

You're welcome! Sorry the far left flipper wasn't working. It was fine on Saturday night, but when I got there on Sunday afternoon, I noticed it had blown the fuse. That loop shot from the far left flipper is really satisfying. If you are ever up in DFW and want to give it another play with it fully working, feel free to send me a message.

#347 2 years ago

When can we get a room

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

When can we get a room

I want to say it was June last year when the room blocks opened. Just make sure you are on their mailing list!

#349 2 years ago

Holy cow. Great thread for learning who to add to my ignore list. Good gosh, all mighty - some of the attitudes here...

#350 2 years ago

I had a great time. There were plenty of the newer games which kept the lines down. I got to play a bunch on most of the titles. Was also cool to see some of the people I met at the other shows so long ago. My ears still hurt.
    Did they ever put out how many machines were set up for play?

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/texas-pinball-festival-2022-post-your-pics-experiences-amp-reviews/page/7?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.